Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Getting Lost [Re: Buzzsaw] #8930013 10/05/23 07:17 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Due to my getting lost and twice visiting the hog pen, I carried a compass after that. Would have gotten lost in the rocky hills around Bandera. And, I shot a huge buck back in NE Louisiana just as the light started to fail. I found the buck, who had gone into some really heavy brush in thick woods. I marked the trail with toilet paper when I walked out to get the ATV. I was able to get the ATV across a slough and to the buck. By then it was dark as the inside of a cow. Got the buck hooked up to drag, since he was way too big to get on the ATV rack, and started out. Lost the TP trail and had no idea what direction it was to the road. I had to go east to find the North South road. I had to trust the compass, even when my judgement said I was going in the wrong direction. The compass was right. My judgement was wrong. The buck weighed 280 pounds at the back end of the rut. Probably 300+ prior to the rut.

Trust the compass.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Getting Lost [Re: Buzzsaw] #8930018 10/05/23 07:25 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
You need a real Garmin GPS. Phones need a tower but not this.

Re: Getting Lost [Re: ntxtrapper] #8930023 10/05/23 07:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

new phones dont, They have a gps chip.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Getting Lost [Re: ntxtrapper] #8930026 10/05/23 07:40 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Had an older Garmin handheld. It was great, loaded GPS coordinates before Colorado fishing trips and drove Ranger or hiked right to them. I just got a Garmin watch and it does the same thing, and more. For something you wear on your wrist it does a lot.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Getting Lost [Re: Buzzsaw] #8930028 10/05/23 07:42 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Just saw mudmans thread in the hunting section. I've been lost once on a lease near san saba. It's a terrible feeling. Tell us about the time you've been lost. No cell phones back then. Just a good old compass.

because you know how to pull a 10 pt MGRS grid and figure it out or a back azimuth? You shoukd teach a class.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Getting Lost [Re: dkershen] #8930033 10/05/23 07:48 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by dkershen
Originally Posted by HuntnFly67
Lost? Never. Temporarily disoriented? Perhaps.

Same here. Grew up in the Texas panhandle so you learned pretty quickly to triangulate off of a windmill or power poles or the rare tree on the horizon. I was nervous about a back country elk hunt in AZ in a unit I'd never set foot in. Bought a GPS unit to take for safeties sake, but never needed it.

ditto, look at a map a head of time and you can see where most drainages end up.

With that said learning night nav was fun in school. Ive gotten to lazy with my phone,

Very few places left any more that you cant walk out of, with out hitting a road in a few miles.

Re: Getting Lost [Re: Buzzsaw] #8930070 10/05/23 09:24 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Now we have an expert here on the subject. Ever put tracking stuff on your equipment?

Re: Getting Lost [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8930078 10/05/23 09:33 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Same here. Grew up in the Texas panhandle so you learned pretty quickly to triangulate off of a windmill or power poles or the rare tree on the horizon. I was nervous about a back country elk hunt in AZ in a unit I'd never set foot in. Bought a GPS unit to take for safeties sake, but never needed it.

ditto, look at a map a head of time and you can see where most drainages end up.

With that said learning night nav was fun in school. Ive gotten to lazy with my phone,

Very few places left any more that you cant walk out of, with out hitting a road in a few miles.

Txhntr still sitting on that spot waiting on you rofl (I know that was turned around more than lost but still a FUNNY story)

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Getting Lost [Re: HuntnFly67] #8930081 10/05/23 09:38 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B

Never lost or disoriented........quite bewildered a couple of times grin

Re: Getting Lost [Re: Judd] #8930082 10/05/23 09:39 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Judd

Txhntr still sitting on that spot waiting on you rofl (I know that was turned around more than lost but still a FUNNY story)

Like an Ewok all alone.

Re: Getting Lost [Re: Judd] #8930095 10/05/23 10:16 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Judd

Lol, Ya lost my reference coming out of that bowl. We did a mini circle some how between the creek and a ridge line finger and end back on our previous track. I still laugh about that. Also same day we bugled in that mountain lion.

Think we did a 10 mile rectangle that day. But ya no where near lost. We could of just dropped back in to creek and took it back up to head waters where truck was, i self corrected back to top of ridge line and hunted it back to truck

I realized exactly what I did pretty quick, but I damn sure wasn’t going to admit it.

roflmao

Re: Getting Lost [Re: Buzzsaw] #8930112 10/05/23 10:36 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I would never in a million years guess that someone who chooses to live in the middle of 10 million people (DFW) would get lost out in the woods..... roflmao

The Crossfit and Kuiu saved you.

Re: Getting Lost [Re: Buzzsaw] #8930117 10/05/23 10:40 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Comparing the panhandle or the mountains to creek bottoms is foolish, right before I got lost I was in Colorado elk hunting. Bivy hunted for 6 days and walked right back to the truck. It’s a bit different when you’re in flat bottoms.

Re: Getting Lost [Re: BigfootWallace] #8930118 10/05/23 10:42 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
I would never in a million years guess that someone who chooses to live in the middle of 10 million people (DFW) would get lost out in the woods..... roflmao

I’d never in a million years guess some dbag that’s never left his back yard has never gotten turned around.
roflmao

Your good fence saved you

Re: Getting Lost [Re: ducknbass] #8930150 10/05/23 11:12 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ducknbass

I’d never in a million years guess some dbag that’s never left his back yard has never gotten turned around.
roflmao

Who said I never left the house? At least I'm not so paranoid/embarrassed to tell people where I live.

Everyone I know is proud of where they are from. I kind of feel sorry for you, life is too short to be embarrassed.

Re: Getting Lost [Re: BigfootWallace] #8930154 10/05/23 11:18 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

talking to me?

Re: Getting Lost [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8930164 10/05/23 11:26 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

talking to me?

Do you willingly live in the middle of 10 million people, do Crossfit/Urban fad workouts and wear high dollsr name brand camo?

Maybe......🤣

Re: Getting Lost [Re: Buzzsaw] #8930172 10/05/23 11:41 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Im in NM waiting on GW to come seal my bear I just packed out. Since end of Aug, I’ve already hunted 24 days. CO Bighorn sheep, CO elk, NM bear and about to head to my ranch to hunt Pronghorns, Mulies and maybe I can kill another elk if there are any still hanging out.

have fun with you piggies country boy grin

And for the record my Wendy Allen chinks I've been wearing all week cost way more then my sitka rain jacket. Lol.

Re: Getting Lost [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8930178 10/05/23 11:50 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Im in NM waiting on GW to come seal my bear I just packed out. Since end of Aug, I’ve already hunted 24 days. CO Bighorn sheep, CO elk, NM bear and about to head to my ranch to hunt Pronghorns, Mulies and maybe I can kill another elk if there are any still hanging out.

And for the record my Wendy Allen chinks I've been wearing all week cost way more then my sitka rain jacket. Lol.

clap cheers

Re: Getting Lost [Re: BigfootWallace] #8930195 10/06/23 12:18 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by ducknbass

roflmao

Who said I never left the house? At least I'm not so paranoid/embarrassed to tell people where I live.

Everyone I know is proud of where they are from. I kind of feel sorry for you, life is too short to be embarrassed.

Fat boy I’ve told you were I live. I’ve actually said come on over so I can drag your rear around.

75489 I’ll meet you at the feed store. If they don’t put you in the hog pen.

Re: Getting Lost [Re: Buzzsaw] #8930242 10/06/23 01:11 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
popcorn

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Getting Lost [Re: Buzzsaw] #8930268 10/06/23 01:41 AM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
I grew up on 2500 acres up north, from the time I was 5 I was in the woods with my brothers and cousins running the woods. Was taught right away to know the moon and the stars placement and to “feel” where you are at and where you came from. Was 7 years old and hunting coons with dogs, sometimes all night. Had a flashlight, wax covered matches, compass, knife and a gun. The dogs and I would get tired, I’d find a place to make camp, get a fire going, cook some coon meat and then sleep with the dogs until sunup. My momma always said for me careful and my grandpa and Dad told me to use my head whenever I took off. Been doing it ever since.

I’ve never been lost. Always calm about the situation and keep an eye on landmarks and the moon and stars. It’s hard to explain that “feeling” of knowing where you are and where you want to get to but I’m sure a few of you know what I’m talking about.

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: Getting Lost [Re: GUTIT] #8930275 10/06/23 01:52 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by GUTIT
I grew up on 2500 acres up north, from the time I was 5 I was in the woods with my brothers and cousins running the woods. Was taught right away to know the moon and the stars placement and to “feel” where you are at and where you came from. Was 7 years old and hunting coons with dogs, sometimes all night. Had a flashlight, wax covered matches, compass, knife and a gun. The dogs and I would get tired, I’d find a place to make camp, get a fire going, cook some coon meat and then sleep with the dogs until sunup. My momma always said for me careful and my grandpa and Dad told me to use my head whenever I took off. Been doing it ever since.

I’ve never been lost. Always calm about the situation and keep an eye on landmarks and the moon and stars. It’s hard to explain that “feeling” of knowing where you are and where you want to get to but I’m sure a few of you know what I’m talking about.

Cool story, but overcast and cloudy without technology is very difficult to navigate.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Getting Lost [Re: Superduty] #8930292 10/06/23 02:18 AM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted by Superduty
Originally Posted by GUTIT

Cool story, but overcast and cloudy without technology is very difficult to navigate.

For some I’m sure it is. Probably has a large part on why they get lost.

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: Getting Lost [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8930658 10/06/23 07:50 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

Awesome maybe one day you can live up there if that's what you really enjoy. I personally dont want to live 15 hours from what I love to do. After spending all that time in the mountains breathing fresh air and seeing nothing but beautiful scenery it would be impossible for me to go back to the middle of concrete/traffic/10 million people and try to resume what some call "life".

This reminds me of the guys you see up in North Texas/Oklahoma with "Salt Life" decals on their truck. "Ya bro I love the salt". Even though it's 12 hours away.....lol

Last edited by BigfootWallace; 10/06/23 08:15 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide