Print Thread
Biden vs pool pump motors #8928147 10/02/23 09:44 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Criminal Joe is now coming after pool pump motors in his latest attempt to bankrupt private citizens. They won't stop until they've regulated every single in our homes.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Jimbo1] #8928154 10/02/23 09:45 PM
D
Donpilot Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
D
What are they going to do to regulate them?

Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Jimbo1] #8928160 10/02/23 09:48 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Change the "efficiency" standards that will double their price. Just like they're doing for everything else including ceiling fans, gas furnaces, etc...

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Jimbo1] #8928169 10/02/23 09:56 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
This was done a while ago. Maybe even under Obammy

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Jimbo1] #8928183 10/02/23 10:05 PM
T
TxRedhawk Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
He's welcome to come shut mine off whenever he wants to....

Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Jimbo1] #8928395 10/03/23 04:41 AM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
I am a pool guy. That ship sailed long before Biden became president. A pump that has a single speed motor greater than 1 horsepower cannot be used for filtration on a pool and the manufacturers have simply stopped making them. All of them that meet the new efficiency standard happened to be the high dollar variable speed computer controlled pumps. I install several per week. They are 2800 and up. You can still replace the motor on your existing single speed pump with an old style motor and I do several of those per week as well.

Trolling? Heck no, I meant every word of it.
Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Jimbo1] #8928502 10/03/23 01:02 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
I just paid $ 389.00 for a 2 HP lake water irrigation pump (65 GPM@30 PSI) - nice simple, reliable setup. Before spending $3,000. I would see what can be done with a commonly available pump. One HP units were much cheaper.

Marc

Last edited by Marc K; 10/03/23 01:03 PM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Marc K] #8928509 10/03/23 01:19 PM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Marc K
I just paid $ 389.00 for a 2 HP lake water irrigation pump (65 GPM@30 PSI) - nice simple, reliable setup. Before spending $3,000. I would see what can be done with a commonly available pump. One HP units were much cheaper.

Marc

Pumps are not equal. Swimming pools need a pump that is designed for use on a pool. I can't tell you how many completely unmanageable pools I've come across where the homeowner decided to use some made in China pump that they bought at Home Depot or Lowe's and then they wonder why they have a green pool and can't understand why the pump keeps breaking.

You can get online and find made in China knock offs of all of the earlier single speed American-made pumps but they usually have a lifespan of a few months and good luck repairing one because even though they look like the real deal none of the parts interchange even amongst Chinese made pumps with the same part number from the same manufacturer. You can barely buy a two horsepower electric motor that is quality for the price you quoted for the complete pump and when I say buy I mean what I have to pay for them. A real irrigation pump isn't exactly cheap either although you can find some Chinese ones for cheap. I installed a five horsepower made in America Munro irrigation pump about 6 weeks ago and total installed cost including what is known as a protection system for the pump cost a little over $6,000. This kind of pump typically has a 40+ year lifespan and are designed to run continuously at 60c ambient temperatures. When it comes to an electric motor physical size has a lot to do with how long it's going to last. On the pump that I just mentioned the wet end was made out of cast iron and marine grade bronze and although that is kind of heavy it used thin wall casting technology and didn't account for the bulk of the weight of the pump. The pump weighed 172 lb while a typical pool pump weighs anywhere from 25 to 60. The motor on the irrigation pump that I'm talking about is so heavy that it has a lifting eye built into it.

Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: blkt2] #8928652 10/03/23 04:46 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by blkt2
I am a pool guy. That ship sailed long before Biden became president. A pump that has a single speed motor greater than 1 horsepower cannot be used for filtration on a pool and the manufacturers have simply stopped making them. All of them that meet the new efficiency standard happened to be the high dollar variable speed computer controlled pumps. I install several per week. They are 2800 and up. You can still replace the motor on your existing single speed pump with an old style motor and I do several of those per week as well.

My pump housing cracked during the big freeze so I replaced it. It was actually cheaper to buy the complete pump & motor than the pump alone. So, I have the old motor if this one ever goes out.FJB

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Jimbo1] #8928654 10/03/23 04:51 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Best kind of pool?

yours

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Jimbo1] #8928663 10/03/23 05:19 PM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

My pump housing cracked during the big freeze so I replaced it. It was actually cheaper to buy the complete pump & motor than the pump alone. So, I have the old motor if this one ever goes out.FJB

???? That is odd. Most of the time cost for a pump housing was under 350 bucks installed back when you could still buy a brand new single speed pump that cost a bit over $800. What pump do you have?

If you ever need it you may be shocked to find that used motors age while sitting and more often than not simply won't work.

Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: blkt2] #8928691 10/03/23 06:28 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M

Marc

Pumps are not equal. Swimming pools need a pump that is designed for use on a pool. I can't tell you how many completely unmanageable pools I've come across where the homeowner decided to use some made in China pump that they bought at Home Depot or Lowe's and then they wonder why they have a green pool and can't understand why the pump keeps breaking.

You can get online and find made in China knock offs of all of the earlier single speed American-made pumps but they usually have a lifespan of a few months and good luck repairing one because even though they look like the real deal none of the parts interchange even amongst Chinese made pumps with the same part number from the same manufacturer. You can barely buy a two horsepower electric motor that is quality for the price you quoted for the complete pump and when I say buy I mean what I have to pay for them. A real irrigation pump isn't exactly cheap either although you can find some Chinese ones for cheap. I installed a five horsepower made in America Munro irrigation pump about 6 weeks ago and total installed cost including what is known as a protection system for the pump cost a little over $6,000. This kind of pump typically has a 40+ year lifespan and are designed to run continuously at 60c ambient temperatures. When it comes to an electric motor physical size has a lot to do with how long it's going to last. On the pump that I just mentioned the wet end was made out of cast iron and marine grade bronze and although that is kind of heavy it used thin wall casting technology and didn't account for the bulk of the weight of the pump. The pump weighed 172 lb while a typical pool pump weighs anywhere from 25 to 60. The motor on the irrigation pump that I'm talking about is so heavy that it has a lifting eye built into it.

I hear you. I am replacing a cheapie from Lowes that the previous owner installed 15-16 years ago, that is not serviceable. Yep, Munro makes a good product but at 2-4 times the cost of Red Lion pumps which have treated me well in the past - so that was my choice this time. I like the serviceability of Red Lion. This pump is used for irrigation and potential fire suppression.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Jimbo1] #8928707 10/03/23 07:04 PM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
^^^^ Usually by the time people get my number and call they are fed up with all of the half-assed repairs from other guys and simply want the problem to be solved for good. I am not cheap and I use the best materials I can get my hands on. No one bats an eye even when I hand them a bill for 25k. That is why I used a Munro pump.

Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Jimbo1] #8928708 10/03/23 07:04 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Published in the Federal Register on September 28, the Department of Energy (DOE) introduced a fresh rule establishing heightened energy conservation and efficiency standards for pool pump motors.

Guess it took Pedo Joe's administration to get it across the goal line.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Jimbo1] #8928725 10/03/23 07:24 PM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Published in the Federal Register on September 28, the Department of Energy (DOE) introduced a fresh rule establishing heightened energy conservation and efficiency standards for pool pump motors.

Guess it took Pedo Joe's administration to get it across the goal line.

It has been the law of the land since the middle of 2021. We thought that we were going to have several years of new old stock inventory of the older style single speed pumps that could still be sold but not manufactured after a certain date but then we had the hard freeze and went through a few years worth of demand in 4 months. Now all that is left are the expensive ones.

Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: blkt2] #8928938 10/04/23 12:36 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
^^^^ Usually by the time people get my number and call they are fed up with all of the half-assed repairs from other guys and simply want the problem to be solved for good. I am not cheap and I use the best materials I can get my hands on. No one bats an eye even when I hand them a bill for 25k. That is why I used a Munro pump.

Well, $25K invoices certainly justify expensive pumps. grin

Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Marc K] #8929038 10/04/23 03:39 AM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B

Well, $25K invoices certainly justify expensive pumps. grin

25K gets you a lot more than just one pump. Didn't mean to imply I charged that much on that job.

Re: Biden vs pool pump motors [Re: Jimbo1] #8929215 10/04/23 03:01 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Damn it, now I'm getting pump suggestions from Yahoo!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide