T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Quote: "And yet, not a season passes that someone here doesn't create a post asking desperately for someone who has a dog that can track a deer."

A tracking dog doesn't just randomly chase any deer. Quite a difference!

That scary thing is he allegedly teaches hunter education.

Both the dog that's trained to chase deer, where legal of course, and the one used only for tracking purposes, use their exceptional sense of smell to please their master. The only difference is how humans value that ability. In fact, about the only time you run into hunters who make any reference to shooting a dog is when you step inside the Texas deer hunting community. You'll never heard such words spoken by those who use dogs to hunt hogs, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, birds, ducks, cats, or bears. So if you're one of those who enjoy the chance to boast about shooting someone's dog, I strongly suggest you use your words wisely whenever you find yourself within one of these circles.

As for Hunter Education and covering how dogs often serve as an aid to hunters, there are far more positives than negatives. That is, unless you don't mind stepping away from most everyone else in the hunting community to take a place on the same side as the anti's.

Yes, it's very important to the future of our sport that kids understand how valuable a well-trained hunting dog can be to its master. After all, using dogs to help humans chase and kill wild game is probably as old as the arrow and spear, and far older than hanging antlers on a wall.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/02/23 12:10 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Controversial [Re: bluetopper] #8927580 10/02/23 12:05 AM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
Funny how different states implement their hunting regulations and what people think is fair or unfair hunting.

I do my deer hunting in Virginia. We can run dogs in about half the state, but unlike Texas, we can't shoot deer over bait or have feeders out past September.

I've hunted on property where dogs were ran. It's a great way to get the deer up and moving out of the thick stuff in the middle of the day.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Controversial [Re: Jimbo] #8927633 10/02/23 01:39 AM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Dogs chasing deer in Texas not good if you love your dog!

No doubt.

[b][/b]
Re: Controversial [Re: bluetopper] #8927969 10/02/23 04:49 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I have my preferences and opinions like everyone but i think when it gets down to it....hunting is hunting...the objective is to get outdoors and enjoy yourself and maybe bring home some meat. i don't get into the "fairness" of it as far as the animal is concerned in terms of bows vs rifles, feeders, vs non, etc. I think all hunting should be respectful of the habitat such that you're not destroying the future of the resource and should be respectful to those who might be hunting around you. other than that...get out and enjoy it in the manner you enjoy it and be thankful that you get to do it.

Outdoorsman
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide