Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: SenkoSamurai] #8922854 09/24/23 03:15 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Optimal? No. Can be successful? Yes.

Lee prefers a 222. He uses it effectively.

Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: freerange] #8922879 09/24/23 04:50 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
I believe a lot of the comments on this thread are from hunters talking about what they have read. Those that shared their experiences using .223’s are giving the first hand experience that is worth listening to. As far as the comments about bullet choice matters, it certainly does. If a .223 is not effective then what does that say about archery gear? To me it is silly. I would counter by commenting that taking marginal shots with a bigger gun is more unethical than shooting them right with a little gun.

Smokey, I agree with all that. And I would say the same thing about archery gear as I do smaller calibers. To both I say It’s fine to use them but there are better choices than either archery or small caliber if your goal is to have the highest probability of a quick kill and recovery.
I definitely agree about the poor shots with big guns vs good shots with little gun. I’m always talking apples to apples…..same guy, same situations, same skill level etc etc. Yes it works but no it’s not usually the best choice, IMO.

Depends on what you are doing Free. Teaching a small young kid to shoot and deer hunt there are few better choices. With the young and the small, if they are taught good fundamentals, and given enough opportunity to master it, recoil may be the biggest underlying hindrance to top shooting. Learning not only how to shoot, but also where and when to shoot as well as when not to shoot is an integral piece of the equation. Prepared like this it works, every single time, and the deer don’t go far. Culling does to eat and maintain the target population balance, a .223 is also excellent. Easy to place the bullet exactly where you want it for instant kills with minimal or no meat destruction. Sure it depends some on who is wielding the rifle but that goes for any rifle or bow for that matter. If a kid between the ages of 7 and 10 can be 100% effective on over 20 deer, it works just fine. The deer I kill with my 7RM are no deader than the deer my boy killed with a .223. The recovery rate was exactly the same. The real limitation lies in the one pulling the trigger and how reasonable his expectations of what he is shooting are and his skill level. I’ve posted this before but I will say it again. I have dogs that blood track. The overwhelming majority of deer shot with firearms they have recovered for people have been from poor hits with big guns. The vast majority of wounded deer lost are attributed to shooter error rather than caliber. Ultimately I think it is cool to be a part of this forum where most of us have the common ground of deer hunting. I do take most of what I read here with a grain of salt. Too many sometimes repeat what the bell cows they follow have said as if it were gospel, without having done it themselves.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: SenkoSamurai] #8922902 09/24/23 08:40 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Years ago Thompson Center had a Contender advertisement in at least one of the bigtime outdoor
magazines ( Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, Sports Afield, etc.) of a hunter with his (whatever kind
it was) bighorn sheep he'd killed with a 223 Contender pistol.
I looked some for it, but I have a gazillion magazines still boxed up from moving here and there.
Maybe one of the internet gurus can find it.
I've never killed a bighorn mountain type sheep, so I don't know what would be the requirements
for firearms and ammunition, but apparently a 223 10 inch Contender peestol will work in some
situations

Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: SenkoSamurai] #8922939 09/24/23 12:58 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Use it!
It will help you hone your skills as a tracker!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: SenkoSamurai] #8922979 09/24/23 02:15 PM
P
Papalote Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I've taken 8 wtd and 2 axis with a 223. No tracking. All dropped straight down. Never lost one shot with 223.
I do not take the 223 as a primary choice, being one of two rifles in the blind. The 223 is for targets of opportunity such a turkeys, varmints and the occasional deer when all conditions are right.
Would I body shoot a deer with 223? Nope. But ....given the right conditions......calm critter, 80 yards or so, solid rest to shoot from.... I'll slip a Hornady soft point into their head or neck.

I've done this with other rifles/ammunition some may think inferior. 357/125 cast/6 grs Unique, from a peep sighted rifle. 30-30 with cast lead as well as 45 Colt, all killed with wheel weights! Again conditions are perfect.

Practice builds confidence. Many do not shoot year round, practice shooting from a blind, or intentionally work on shooting small targets. I cringe when I hear some say if you can hit a pie plate you're good to go.

Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: Smokey Bear] #8923003 09/24/23 03:24 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I believe a lot of the comments on this thread are from hunters talking about what they have read. Those that shared their experiences using .223’s are giving the first hand experience that is worth listening to. As far as the comments about bullet choice matters, it certainly does. If a .223 is not effective then what does that say about archery gear? To me it is silly. I would counter by commenting that taking marginal shots with a bigger gun is more unethical than shooting them right with a little gun.

Smokey, I agree with all that. And I would say the same thing about archery gear as I do smaller calibers. To both I say It’s fine to use them but there are better choices than either archery or small caliber if your goal is to have the highest probability of a quick kill and recovery.
I definitely agree about the poor shots with big guns vs good shots with little gun. I’m always talking apples to apples…..same guy, same situations, same skill level etc etc. Yes it works but no it’s not usually the best choice, IMO.

Depends on what you are doing Free. Teaching a small young kid to shoot and deer hunt there are few better choices. With the young and the small, if they are taught good fundamentals, and given enough opportunity to master it, recoil may be the biggest underlying hindrance to top shooting. Learning not only how to shoot, but also where and when to shoot as well as when not to shoot is an integral piece of the equation. Prepared like this it works, every single time, and the deer don’t go far. Culling does to eat and maintain the target population balance, a .223 is also excellent. Easy to place the bullet exactly where you want it for instant kills with minimal or no meat destruction. Sure it depends some on who is wielding the rifle but that goes for any rifle or bow for that matter. If a kid between the ages of 7 and 10 can be 100% effective on over 20 deer, it works just fine. The deer I kill with my 7RM are no deader than the deer my boy killed with a .223. The recovery rate was exactly the same. The real limitation lies in the one pulling the trigger and how reasonable his expectations of what he is shooting are and his skill level. I’ve posted this before but I will say it again. I have dogs that blood track. The overwhelming majority of deer shot with firearms they have recovered for people have been from poor hits with big guns. The vast majority of wounded deer lost are attributed to shooter error rather than caliber. Ultimately I think it is cool to be a part of this forum where most of us have the common ground of deer hunting. I do take most of what I read here with a grain of salt. Too many sometimes repeat what the bell cows they follow have said as if it were gospel, without having done it themselves.

Smokey, that is a great post and all should read. I have more respect for Smokey than I do myself when it comes to firearms, hunting and conservation. Y’all should pay attention to his stuff.
I agree 100% on a smaller caliber for an accomplished mentor properly teaching a novice. I hate recoil and I’m sure most novices do. I have a 22250 which I would use to teach a novice but I would graduate them to my 708AI as soon as I felt they were ready for it. Less meat loss is important to some so check that box as well.
I really like that you added those last few sentences-I feel same way.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: freerange] #8923016 09/24/23 03:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Smokey, that is a great post and all should read. I have more respect for Smokey than I do myself when it comes to firearms, hunting and conservation. Y’all should pay attention to his stuff.
I agree 100% on a smaller caliber for an accomplished mentor properly teaching a novice. I hate recoil and I’m sure most novices do. I have a 22250 which I would use to teach a novice but I would graduate them to my 708AI as soon as I felt they were ready for it. Less meat loss is important to some so check that box as well.
I really like that you added those last few sentences-I feel same way.

Your 22-250 has a 1-10 twist and cant stabilize the bigger more modern bullets. The 224TTH(22-6mm) and new 22 Creedmoor a prefect examples of smaller diameter calibers that are taking advantage of the new bullet offerings and excelling very well. Im a huge 22-250 fan, I’ve burned out a barrel on one, but I also had a 22-6mm and know whats its capable of with bigger bullets 70-90 grains.

I just bought a new 223 and had barrel threaded, my daughter wants to extend her range and needs more trigger time, and 6.5 CM is to much for extended range times for her. I bought 300rd of 77 TMK. I got asked to help flop a bunch of does in mid oct. Ill document how well they do, if i can make it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: SenkoSamurai] #8923071 09/24/23 05:34 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
It's lethal however I believe t's a marginal round and the prefect placement isn't always assured. My minimum is a 243 100 grain and most confident is 30-06 150 grain

Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: Flashprism] #8923073 09/24/23 05:37 PM
L
lubbockdave Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Flashprism
It's lethal however I believe t's a marginal round and the prefect placement isn't always assured. My minimum is a 243 100 grain and most confident is 30-06 150 grain

ding ding ding!! Only my go to is 130 grn .270 win.

Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: Jimbo] #8923136 09/24/23 07:31 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Use it!
It will help you hone your skills as a tracker!

Quote of the day.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: SenkoSamurai] #8923167 09/24/23 08:14 PM
T
The_Whitetail_Kid Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I wouldn’t do it. My first deer i killed with a 222 and it took 3 shots to put him down. My cousin used a 223 for her first last year and it took 2 rounds. Maybe for a doe or something might be ok.

Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: The_Whitetail_Kid] #8923304 09/25/23 12:04 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by The_Whitetail_Kid
I wouldn’t do it. My first deer i killed with a 222 and it took 3 shots to put him down. My cousin used a 223 for her first last year and it took 2 rounds. Maybe for a doe or something might be ok.

First lease I ever had a lady owned she hunted her whole life on that property going home to the lord in her late 80’s. Her deer rifle was a 22 hornet.

Not all bullets are created equal especially as you ask more of smaller ones. And most often it’s the Indian not the arrow.

Last edited by redchevy; 09/25/23 01:29 AM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: SenkoSamurai] #8923344 09/25/23 12:39 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have to wonder if many or most of the private, high-fenced ranches allow their day or weekend hunt customers to use a .223?

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/25/23 12:40 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: redchevy] #8923386 09/25/23 01:20 AM
T
The_Whitetail_Kid Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Not denying. But why wouldn’t you use something bigger given the choice? Margin for error is small with that small of a cartridge.

Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: The_Whitetail_Kid] #8923389 09/25/23 01:25 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by The_Whitetail_Kid
Not denying. But why wouldn’t you use something bigger given the choice? Margin for error is small with that small of a cartridge.

margin with a big magnum is no different then with a smaller caliber. Vitals are vitals. You either hit them or you dont.

Only thing a bigger caliber gives over a smaller is range

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: freerange] #8923397 09/25/23 01:39 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I’m gonna assume based on your comments you have never killed a deer with a bow.

A broadhead, especially an expandable broadhead absolutely destroys the chest cavity of whatever it goes thru.

A broadhead tipped arrow placed in the heart/lung area will have just as high of a kill ratio as a .300 win mag will. You give up nothing except for effective range with archery equipment. I’ve made some bad shots as well that resulted in a short track job.

To date the only thing I’ve shot that I needed to upgrade equipment on was a 2000 lb water Buffalo( i subsequently shot the water Buffalo 9 times with a .375 H&H before he gave up the ghost). The same broadhead/arrow combination made short work of an American Bison.

I’ve killed deer and pigs with a .223 and up to buffalo size game with a bow and will say I do not feel handicapped at all with the capabilities of modern archery equipment.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: txtrophy85] #8923416 09/25/23 02:18 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I’m gonna assume based on your comments you have never killed a deer with a bow.

A broadhead, especially an expandable broadhead absolutely destroys the chest cavity of whatever it goes thru.

A broadhead tipped arrow placed in the heart/lung area will have just as high of a kill ratio as a .300 win mag will. You give up nothing except for effective range with archery equipment. I’ve made some bad shots as well that resulted in a short track job.

To date the only thing I’ve shot that I needed to upgrade equipment on was a 2000 lb water Buffalo( i subsequently shot the water Buffalo 9 times with a .375 H&H before he gave up the ghost). The same broadhead/arrow combination made short work of an American Bison.

I’ve killed deer and pigs with a .223 and up to buffalo size game with a bow and will say I do not feel handicapped at all with the capabilities of modern archery equipment.

I have killed few deer with archery. About 9(8 does) the last 3 years with Xbow. I have a lot of experience managing leases that guys bow hunt on.
Note that I said “quick kill AND recovery”. None of them went real far but in real heavy cover they would not of been easy tracks. Nothing at all similar to how my 3006 usually drops them in their tracks. I really hope this thread does not get off on this tangent. I did not bring up archery but there are similarities.
I planned my last post to be my last post on this thread and I hope now I can go quietly to other threads.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: txtrophy85] #8923431 09/25/23 02:56 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

You are incorrect in your assumption Tx.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: SenkoSamurai] #8923505 09/25/23 12:59 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
broads and bullets are not a good comparison. Completely different wound channel
methodology. Also the whole bang flop persona in my experience is more shot placement then head stamp.

Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: Smokey Bear] #8923526 09/25/23 01:29 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

One of the things to consider about 'overwhelming majority' is sample size. I would expect the majority of your tracking jobs to be larger calibers, because the majority of hunters use larger calibers. We won't be able to ascertain if big guns are losing 10000/100000 and .223 is losing 12/100 as we'll never have that side of the stats.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8923535 09/25/23 01:44 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
broads and bullets are not a good comparison. Completely different wound channel
methodology. Also the whole bang flop persona in my experience is more shot placement then head stamp.

Agree. You hit the off switch with a high shoulder shot with a rifle they drop. Of course, you can do that with a bow as well but it’s not recommended.

Archery set ups vary as well. You can have lightweight setups and magnum set ups just like with rifles. They are not one and the same.

Recovery also varies, just like a rifle. Some run a long ways some don’t run far. Some bleed heavy some don’t.

Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: SenkoSamurai] #8923553 09/25/23 02:03 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
But anyway, I’m off the archery rant.

I think most will agree that a .223 can be effective but it’s marginal for most big game hunting applications.

Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: SenkoSamurai] #8923572 09/25/23 02:31 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I started out my wife and grandson on a REM 222. They never lost a deer. I roll my own ammo but doubt that I can make a big difference.

Although I have a gun of most calibers, I generally use my butchered 1917 Eddystone in 30-06. I got it in 1968 and shot it enough to have had it re barreled. I have dang sure lost deer with my old faithful. And, that’s on my own land that I know. It’s gonna happen.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: SenkoSamurai] #8923598 09/25/23 03:01 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Started my Daughter off hunting Deer and Coyotes with a .223

Coyotes (like you would expect) were all dropped cleanly in their tracks.

Deer on the other hand (all shot perfectly, tight behind the shoulder) always ran anywhere from 75 yds to 200 yds. before expiring. I fully expected each and every deer to present a tracking job...(which they did) but typically were not too difficult.

At age 12...we moved her up to a .243 and things got markedly better (with respect to shorter tracking jobs or none at all). NO deer were lost with either cartridge....but the .243 clearly brought more to the table.

At age 14 we again moved her up on the power scale.This time to a 7mm-08, which she was able to easily handle. The difference in killing power was stark! That was 23 years and many, many, deer, hogs, coyotes, bobcats ago. It is her favorite rifle and she has supreme confidence in it.

We have never lost an animal (to date) in all her years of hunting, nor has she yet to miss. But all of this because she has always taken only shots that were appropriate and that she felt comfortable taking. Yes, you can certainly kill deer with a .223, but IF the person behind the rifle is capable of using something more powerful, I definitely recommend it.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Opinions on .223 for Deer [Re: SenkoSamurai] #8923608 09/25/23 03:08 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I think what a lot of folks really mean when they ask if a .223 will kill a deer is , if you shoot a deer with a .223 are you gonna find it?

You put a .55 grain bullet thru the lungs or heart of the deer, the deer is not going to survive that. The question is how far will it go?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide