Forums46
Topics538,958
Posts9,743,487
Members87,132
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: Grizz] #8920932 09/21/23 01:34 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Grizz

Did they cite a specific statute? if so, I would love to see it. I know some departments have policies prohibiting issuing citations for traffic violations the officers don't witness, but that's not law. Your sources are incorrect. Trapper's link is crystal clear and specifically addresses red light cameras, not issuing citations based on dash cam evidence. There isn't really a grey area, you either have PC to issue a citation or you don't. That may or may not have anything to do with the violation being witnessed.

I was told Texas Penal Code

I asked him if this was Frisco Policy or State Policy and he said state

No they didn't cite a specific statue, but I guess I could ask

They kept saying Texas Penal Code not Transportation code

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: Grizz] #8920933 09/21/23 01:36 AM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Did they cite a specific statute? if so, I would love to see it. I know some departments have policies prohibiting issuing citations for traffic violations the officers don't witness, but that's not law. Your sources are incorrect. Trapper's link is crystal clear and specifically addresses red light cameras, not issuing citations based on dash cam evidence. There isn't really a grey area, you either have PC to issue a citation or you don't.

Can you specifically post the part of what trapper posted that is "Crystal Clear"

It maybe Crystal clear to some one in Law Enforcement, (Which I think you are as well), but for Joe Blow it isn't Crystal Clear.

I read it a couple of times and didn't get no crystal clear answer.

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: RedRanger] #8920935 09/21/23 01:36 AM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: RedRanger] #8920936 09/21/23 01:37 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RedRanger

Did they cite a specific statute? if so, I would love to see it. I know some departments have policies prohibiting issuing citations for traffic violations the officers don't witness, but that's not law. Your sources are incorrect. Trapper's link is crystal clear and specifically addresses red light cameras, not issuing citations based on dash cam evidence. There isn't really a grey area, you either have PC to issue a citation or you don't.

Can you specifically post the part of what trapper posted that is "Crystal Clear"

I read it a couple of times and didn't get no crystal clear answer.

All of it. What part is not clear?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: Grizz] #8920948 09/21/23 01:59 AM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

In the main title it says " Enforcement System Prohibited" which I understand as law is prohibited from enforcement

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: RedRanger] #8920951 09/21/23 02:02 AM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
What is the diffrerence between Penal Code and Transportation code?

Does a police department choose to go with Penal code over transportation code?

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: RedRanger] #8920953 09/21/23 02:05 AM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I have seen cities in the past tell employees by the City Attorney to do things against the law

Maybe this is the case with Frisco Police.

Maybe whom ever runs the Chief of Police reports to, I think the City manager or mayor, he has directed them to follow this rule.

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: RedRanger] #8920956 09/21/23 02:10 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

In the main title it says " Enforcement System Prohibited" which I understand as law is prohibited from enforcement

Yes, this statute only deals with red light cameras. It has nothing to do with your original question (unless I misunderstood your question). Red light cameras have been outlawed, but the ones that were already installed can remain installed until the contract on them expires. No new ones can be installed. Citations can be issued all day long using dash cam footage, provided the footage shows enough to support it.

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: Grizz] #8920962 09/21/23 02:21 AM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Yes, this statute only deals with red light cameras. It has nothing to do with your original question (unless I misunderstood your question). Red light cameras have been outlawed, but the ones that were already installed can remain installed until the contract on them expires. No new ones can be installed. Citations can be issued all day long using dash cam footage, provided the footage shows enough to support it.

Per city of Frisco police this is incorrect

Call their non emergency number and they will school you on their policies

The are very customer service friendly and are prompt to return a call.

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: RedRanger] #8920978 09/21/23 02:42 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
If it’s policy that’s up them completely. If they believe that’s what the statutes say, they are poorly educated about it. I’m not surprised either way.

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: RedRanger] #8920988 09/21/23 03:16 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Someone's doing coke.

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: RedRanger] #8921008 09/21/23 03:46 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Per city of Frisco police this is incorrect

Call their non emergency number and they will school you on their policies

The are very customer service friendly and are prompt to return a call.

What part of it do you think is incorrect?

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: ntxtrapper] #8921032 09/21/23 06:20 AM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
If it’s policy that’s up them completely. If they believe that’s what the statutes say, they are poorly educated about it. I’m not surprised either way.

They keep telling me it's from Texas Penal Code

I just google Texas Penal Code it appears to be what all law enforcement agency should follow.

I know me and you butt head sometimes, but you seem to be spot on and I am highly impressed with your replies on this thread

Cheers 

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: RedRanger] #8921033 09/21/23 06:23 AM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Sir, when I call them they tell me they can't write a ticket based upon Texas Penal Code for a traffic violation such as speeding, running red lights, honking at people, or traffic accident

I tend to believe the guys on the THF over the two nice officers I spoke with at Frisco popo.

I would just like to get a confirmation and know the real story

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: skinnerback] #8921034 09/21/23 06:30 AM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Someone's doing coke.

Sir, I don't do drugs, My brain is already chemically charged which make me laser focused on tasks. I don't need drugs in my life and 20 plus years ago I dropped all my family and friends or so called "friends" who were on drugs, alcholic, alway broke, always having problems, and surrounded myself with positive people who are successful in life

Looking back this was one of the best choice I have made in my life.

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: RedRanger] #8921078 09/21/23 11:21 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I wish I could get that four minutes back. Question asked and answered in the first two posts then a bunch of nonsense.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: RedRanger] #8921550 09/22/23 12:19 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Sir, when I call them they tell me they can't write a ticket based upon Texas Penal Code for a traffic violation such as speeding, running red lights, honking at people, or traffic accident

I tend to believe the guys on the THF over the two nice officers I spoke with at Frisco popo.

I would just like to get a confirmation and know the real story

We would never steer you wrong. smile
They may believe the Penal Code is the reason they can't write tickets in those situations, but it just ain't so. The only thing that would prevent them from writing the tickets is department policy. There is absolutely nothing in the Penal Code that prevents it.

Re: Dashcam, Can police write a ticket if on them [Re: RedRanger] #8921936 09/22/23 04:53 PM
H
huntingag01 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
There was a guy strung out on something in the parking lot of my buddies business. They called the cops and they showed up. he wasn't driving but since they had him driving on camera they charged him with dwi.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide