Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
What are your go to rubs either home made or store bought for:
Pork
Chicken
Brisket and anything else that might need a good rubbin.

Last edited by Stub; 09/18/23 03:29 PM.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8919234 09/18/23 03:50 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
U
Here is the recipe that I came up with when I was on the Food Network. In reality, I don't actually measure, I eyeball it to the amounts that I think are right, and then I taste it and adjust accordingly. For ribs, I use a little more brown sugar. I usually add garlic salt, and red pepper flakes as well.

½ cup paprika, ½ cup brown sugar, 2tbs garlic powder, 2 tbs onion powder, 2 tbs seasoned salt, 2 tbs pepper, 2 tbs cayenne, 1 tbs cumin, 1 tbs allspice

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8919253 09/18/23 04:12 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Meat church Holy Voodoo and Kosmo hot dirty bird are my go to's for chicken.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8919294 09/18/23 05:19 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Chupacabra Cluckalicious for chicken.

Kosmos Q Honey Killer Bee for pork.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8919298 09/18/23 05:22 PM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Brisket is always just 16 mesh pepper and diamond crystal kosher salt. Chicken on my smoker is usually S&P when I'm cooking for an event. Pork ribs are usually S&P as well. Pork butts get a mix of 50/50 S&P with smaller amounts of paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, some chili powder and mustard powder. Kind of the Aaron Franklin style rub, at least that's where I got it initially.

Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8919370 09/18/23 06:48 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Salt and pepper sometimes garlic. My family likes chupacabra ribnoxious on ribs, I can’t complain about it either.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8919387 09/18/23 07:11 PM
B
B Razorback Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Meat church for anything and everything! Holy cow is great on beef, texas sugar and holy voodoo for chicken and honey hog/honey hog hot for pork. For veggies etc we use the holy gospel bbq rub or the all purpose seasoning.

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: Rubs... [Re: B Razorback] #8919404 09/18/23 07:41 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by B Razorback
Meat church for anything and everything! Holy cow is great on beef, texas sugar and holy voodoo for chicken and honey hog/honey hog hot for pork. For veggies etc we use the holy gospel bbq rub or the all purpose seasoning.

Have you tried the Texas Sugar yet?

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Rubs... [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8919422 09/18/23 08:21 PM
B
B Razorback Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by B Razorback

Have you tried the Texas Sugar yet?

Oh yeah it's my go to chicken rub now! Whats funny is Matt Pittman said that the Texas Sugar rub has less sugar than any of the other rubs, he just liked the name.

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8919444 09/18/23 08:42 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Steak. Brisket and Rib rub from Janak's grocery in Halletsville Texas in combo with my homemade Jalapeno Rub.
Burgers. Same
Chicken. Sucklebusters Clucker Dust and Chef Merito Pollo if going Mex.
Pork and Ribs. Sucklebusters Hog Waller and a touch of the Halletsville.

Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8920160 09/19/23 09:57 PM
Nolanco Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I just did my first brisket -- a small one -- on my Traeger and used this rub from Meathead Goldwyn at Amazing Ribs. I love the guy. He barbecues pork wearing a yarmulka. roflmao
It was just excellent. You salt your meat with kosher an hour before you apply this rub, which contains no salt. I smeared a light coat of yellow mustard on the beef to give the rub something to adhere to. Very, very pleased with the result. Spritzed with a "mop" of 1 cup Coke, 1/8 cider vinegar, 1 TBSP Worcestershire.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/big-bad-beef-rub-recipe/

Last edited by Nolanco; 09/19/23 09:59 PM.
Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8920197 09/19/23 11:01 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
These are my go to for quick:

Ribs, Pork Butt, Tenderloins: Sucklebusters Texas Pecan
Chicken: Ralph's Spices Fajita Lime Seasoning
Brisket: Head Country and/or Pit Barrel Cooker Beef and Game

Bobby Barnett

Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8920612 09/20/23 05:07 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Ribs or pork shoulder- Rib Tickler/Brown sugar. 3/1
Chicken-Fiesta fancy chicken.
Brisket or Beef ribs-Chupacabra Brisket Magic.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8920666 09/20/23 06:13 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Meat Church is primary in my pantry. Holy Cow, Gospel, Vudoo, honey

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Rubs... [Re: MacDaddy21] #8921113 09/21/23 12:48 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MacDaddy21
Brisket is always just 16 mesh pepper and diamond crystal kosher salt. Chicken on my smoker is usually S&P when I'm cooking for an event. Pork ribs are usually S&P as well. Pork butts get a mix of 50/50 S&P with smaller amounts of paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, some chili powder and mustard powder. Kind of the Aaron Franklin style rub, at least that's where I got it initially.

Aaron Franklin doesn't use just salt and pepper. No one does. That old tale needs to die.

My go to for brisket or steak is below. That's not quite the ratios I use but you can adjust to your flavor profile.

2 tablespoon ground dark roast or espresso coffee
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon Sweet Hungarian Paprika
1 tablespoon Diamond Crystal salt
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cayenne

Re: Rubs... [Re: Thisisbeer] #8921236 09/21/23 04:10 PM
M
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

Aaron Franklin doesn't use just salt and pepper. No one does. That old tale needs to die.

My go to for brisket or steak is below. That's not quite the ratios I use but you can adjust to your flavor profile.

1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder

Definitely not a true statement. Plenty of places just use S&P, or S&P and some lawrys. I was also referring to Aaron Franklin when I mentioned the pork butt seasoning I use 👍

Brown sugar and coffee on brisket or steak? No thanks 🤮

Re: Rubs... [Re: MacDaddy21] #8921238 09/21/23 04:16 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder

Definitely not a true statement. Plenty of places just use S&P, or S&P and some lawrys. I was also referring to Aaron Franklin when I mentioned the pork butt seasoning I use 👍

Fair. I take the browns sugar out for steak. And I only use it on other than prime cut steaks. If I buy a nice steak it's just salt.

Also, name the places that use just salt and pepper. Name a place widely regarded as having great BBQ and uses only salt and pepper. And don't throw in "They use salt and pepper and some Lawry's" Lawry's has all kinds of crap in it. You know something funny? Look at the second ingredient in Lawry's. It's sugar lol

Last edited by Thisisbeer; 09/21/23 04:20 PM.
Re: Rubs... [Re: Thisisbeer] #8921422 09/21/23 08:52 PM
M
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M

1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder

Fair. I take the browns sugar out for steak. And I only use it on other than prime cut steaks. If I buy a nice steak it's just salt.

Also, name the places that use just salt and pepper. Name a place widely regarded as having great BBQ and uses only salt and pepper. And don't throw in "They use salt and pepper and some Lawry's" Lawry's has all kinds of crap in it. You know something funny? Look at the second ingredient in Lawry's. It's sugar lol

While I know Aaron Franklin uses some other stuff on his briskets now, I know for a fact he used only S&P for many years while operating out of his little trailer (before he got the restaurant). Also, the brisket rub he sells online is strictly salt and pepper confused2

Here's an article from Texas monthly written by the guy that reviews top BBQ in Texas and has for years. Several of the restaurants listed below are using only salt and pepper, including Snows, LeRoy and Lewis, and Evie Mae's. Not trying to be argumentative, but I think this guy knows better than both of us considering he's interviewed the owners of these establishments 👍

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/seasoning-worst-kept-secret-texas-barbecue/

Re: Rubs... [Re: MacDaddy21] #8921438 09/21/23 09:15 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I'm not convinced Franklin used it for years. I've heard people that worked with him back in the day say Lawry's was a long time staple. Maybe he did when he started and it was just him the first couple of years. Evie Mae's uses pickle juice which has different herbs plus salt so I wouldn't throw it into the salt and pepper only category. So two of the top 10 places in Texas use S&P only. That's not "Plenty of places" in my book. But I really doubted there would be any. Maybe you find it interesting that 6 out of the top 10 are putting sugar on their brisket in the form of Lawry's? None use coffee. But everyone seems to love my brisket. You would be surprised by the mellow taste after hours of smoking the coffee lends to the bark. For the record, Snow's brisket is extremely over rated. I've never had LeRoy and Lewis.

Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8921630 09/22/23 02:43 AM
M
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
In regards to pickle juice, I was separating a binder from a rub. Pickle juice isn't adding significant flavor to a brisket unless it's being brined in pickle juice for hours. I also wasn't talking about Texas BBQ only. I just saw that article a while back and remembered it. I've eaten at quite a few places that advertise S&P only on their brisket in particular, not all were in Texas but most of them were operated by Texans.

I'm curious how much sugar by volume is in Lawrys. It never tasted all that sweet to me. And yes, I do know that ingredients are listed in the order they are in based on how much is in them. But a dusting of lawrys likely isn't putting a significant amount of sugar on a large piece of meat that is going to make it taste sweet at all. Just my 2 cents.

Re: Rubs... [Re: MacDaddy21] #8921637 09/22/23 03:12 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
U

1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder

Some brown sugar in the rub helps develop the bark. You can't taste sugar once it's broken down by heat and smoke...unless you use a ton of sugar. Most rubs have at least some sugar.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Rubs... [Re: MacDaddy21] #8921745 09/22/23 12:22 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
In regards to pickle juice, I was separating a binder from a rub. Pickle juice isn't adding significant flavor to a brisket unless it's being brined in pickle juice for hours. I also wasn't talking about Texas BBQ only. I just saw that article a while back and remembered it. I've eaten at quite a few places that advertise S&P only on their brisket in particular, not all were in Texas but most of them were operated by Texans.

I'm curious how much sugar by volume is in Lawrys. It never tasted all that sweet to me. And yes, I do know that ingredients are listed in the order they are in based on how much is in them. But a dusting of lawrys likely isn't putting a significant amount of sugar on a large piece of meat that is going to make it taste sweet at all. Just my 2 cents.

Well I would assume they go through the trouble of using pickle juice because it does add flavor. Like you said we should listen to the guy that wrote the article and he separated the one that used pickle juice away from the two S&P only ones. I have never seen S&P out of Texas unless they were trying to emulate "Texas Style BBQ" and I've been to a lot of them. I travel a lot for work and I've tried quite a few.

I looked at some copycat recipes for Lawrys and it seems to be about the same amount that's in mine. If not a little more sugar in Lawry's. But of course it isn't sweet. Think about it man. If you remove the sugar from my recipe it leaves you with over half a cup of seasonings. A tablespoon of sugar in over half a cup of isn't going to make it sweet. My brisket isn't sweet at all. Or coffee flavored for that matter.

Lawry's Copy Cat

1⁄3 cup fine salt (Morton Popcorn Salt)
3 1⁄2 teaspoons superfine sugar
1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 1⁄2 tablespoons celery salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Re: Rubs... [Re: unclebubba] #8921747 09/22/23 12:23 PM
M
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by unclebubba

1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder

Some brown sugar in the rub helps develop the bark. You can't taste sugar once it's broken down by heat and smoke...unless you use a ton of sugar. Most rubs have at least some sugar.

I've never had trouble developing bark with all my sugar free rubs. My briskets are jet black and have a great bark. Sure you can tweak things to help develop a bark if needed. I just don't have that need and prefer sugar free rubs.

Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8921756 09/22/23 12:38 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by unclebubba

I've never had trouble developing bark with all my sugar free rubs. My briskets are jet black and have a great bark. Sure you can tweak things to help develop a bark if needed. I just don't have that need and prefer sugar free rubs.

Post up a picture of your brisket. The one in your post history isn't doing your story any favors. The bark looks thin and soft. I'm sure your brisket is really good. Anyone that smoked a lot of brisket knows the difference between a good brisket and a great one is all of the little tweaks. When you say "Sure you can tweak things if needed. I just don't have that need" it just shows you haven't done it long enough. You do have that need. You just haven't realized it yet.

[Linked Image]

Re: Rubs... [Re: Stub] #8921815 09/22/23 01:59 PM
M
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
All bark gets pretty soft when they rest for 10-12 hours.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide