Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Jgraider] #8917509 09/15/23 02:35 AM
B
brownthunder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Jgraider, those crane brest sliced to about 1/2 " thick and chicken fried are hard to beat.

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Guy] #8917535 09/15/23 03:04 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Grilled fresh, medium rare, you’d be hard pressed to find any other wild game that beats it. Quail is the only other game bird I might like better.

If you over cook it like other birds or try and roast it, it’ll suck.

I’m not a quail expert, but I’m pretty sure quail is like chicken, it needs to be fully cooked, you do not want to eat it med rare. And it is good fully cooked. Waterfowl, on the other hand, it is like beef, it is best rare, med rare, but will taste like liver if you fully cook it.

I didn’t say quail should be under cooked…??
confused2

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: 4Weight] #8917544 09/15/23 03:30 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by 4Weight
I always marinated for 24 hours and grilled hot on mesquite rare to medium rare. If you freeze them, cook them soon. Done right they are delicious.

Vacuumed packed a boned out breast to take to a Friend in Mississippi. I had frozen it in his marinade of choice then vacuumed it up. About 6 months later took it to him. The next year he went to Texas on a crane hunt and has a few more times. Guess he liked it.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Jgraider] #8917602 09/15/23 12:32 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Shot one once, tasted like a big dove. It was good I'd shoot another one.

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: BradyBuck] #8917640 09/15/23 02:01 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy
Grilled fresh, medium rare, you’d be hard pressed to find any other wild game that beats it. Quail is the only other game bird I might like better.

I’m not a quail expert, but I’m pretty sure quail is like chicken, it needs to be fully cooked, you do not want to eat it med rare. And it is good fully cooked. Waterfowl, on the other hand, it is like beef, it is best rare, med rare, but will taste like liver if you fully cook it.

confused2

I didn't say you said that either. You did lump all birds together and said if you over cook them they will all suck. My point is that upland birds are different than migratory birds, upland should be fully cooked like chicken and taste good that way, migratory birds on the other hand will suck if you fully cook it although health experts will say it should be fully cooked as well.

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Guy] #8917718 09/15/23 04:37 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Guy

confused2

I didn't say you said that either. You did lump all birds together and said if you over cook them they will all suck. My point is that upland birds are different than migratory birds, upland should be fully cooked like chicken and taste good that way, migratory birds on the other hand will suck if you fully cook it although health experts will say it should be fully cooked as well.

I guess I wasn’t clear. When I said “if you over cook IT” I was referring to crane and if you try and fully cook crane or roast it like you would other birds Crane will suck.

Quail, pheasant and other upland birds should be cooked to 155 minimum…

Last edited by BradyBuck; 09/15/23 04:37 PM.

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Jgraider] #8917898 09/15/23 10:34 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Probably one of the most overrated eats I’ve had. Way to much hype

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Jgraider] #8918104 09/16/23 11:24 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
I liked what I've eaten. I couldn't put it up there with a ribeye, but way better than any duck or goose I've had.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Jgraider] #8918401 09/16/23 08:16 PM
R
Revoman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Coat with olive oil and use your favorite steak seasoning. Grill to medium rare, you will not be disappointed. My kid is a picky eater and she flat loves them.

Call'm an Kill'm
Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: john paul] #8918641 09/17/23 02:57 PM
R
RiverRunner Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by john paul
I’d rather eat a grain fed duck 10/10 times over a crane. In my opinion it’s not that good at all.

Hit the nail on the head. Grain fed duck or Specklebelly goose is better than crane. The best I've had was peanut fed Specklebelly.

I like crane, but it is way overhyped and definitely nowhere close to a ribeye.

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Jgraider] #8918687 09/17/23 05:31 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Seasoned like a good steak and grilled medium rare, Sandhill Crane is excellent. Yes it tastes like beef steak to me. Closer to a sirloin than a rib eye but with a little milder taste. If you are someone that gets squeamish about eating meat cooked rare to medium rare, It will not appeal to you. To answer your question Jgraider, yes in my experience, it is as good as the hype suggests it is.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Jgraider] #8918714 09/17/23 06:41 PM
T
trapperben Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Agree with Smokey plus it also makes great chili. Probably would be excellent diced up in a stew but I liked the chili so much stuck with it.

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: RiverRunner] #8918803 09/17/23 08:49 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RiverRunner
I’d rather eat a grain fed duck 10/10 times over a crane. In my opinion it’s not that good at all.

Hit the nail on the head. Grain fed duck or Specklebelly goose is better than crane. The best I've had was peanut fed Specklebelly.

How do you know what they eat? Is this high fence duck hunting?

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Guy] #8919179 09/18/23 02:12 PM
R
RiverRunner Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by RiverRunner

How do you know what they eat? Is this high fence duck hunting?

Not very difficult to figure that out. When you are shooting them in a peanut field or their throat is full of peanuts. Same with a grain field.....It's really not difficult at all and to see someone like you, that has hunted ducks as long as you have, try to make a comment like this just shows how little you actually know about the game you chase.

Last edited by RiverRunner; 09/18/23 02:12 PM.
Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: RiverRunner] #8919252 09/18/23 04:11 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That is not very nice riverruner. Are you always an A-hole? Just because you shoot ducks in a peanut field, does not mean they been feeding on peanuts all their life. It is a legitimate question, ducks are migratory, those same ducks most likely were feeding somewhere else the week or month before. Even if a duck was feeding same Texas field all season (3 months), would that really change the taste of the meat? I question if it would, but I'm not as smart as you.

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Jgraider] #8919314 09/18/23 05:39 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I think certain species of ducks obviously tend to eat more grain versus other water plants or crustaceans/invertebrates

I do think it’s hard to know what ducks are eating regularly as they migrate. I think it would take weeks to be able to tell the difference. What flyway they are traveling could be a good indicator.

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Jgraider] #8919337 09/18/23 06:01 PM
J
Jgraider Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I appreciate the replies. Have to admit I don't really give a ratsazzz about any duck or goose whether grain fed or not, I was just curious how the experienced guys here like the crane. Shouldn't be surprised that some do and some don't, and some are in the middle. I really appreciate the responses, and I'll probably try and shoot one to try out myself. It will be cooked Med Rare at most.

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Jgraider] #8919363 09/18/23 06:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Jgraider
I appreciate the replies. Have to admit I don't really give a ratsazzz about any duck or goose whether grain fed or not, I was just curious how the experienced guys here like the crane. Shouldn't be surprised that some do and some don't, and some are in the middle. I really appreciate the responses, and I'll probably try and shoot one to try out myself. It will be cooked Med Rare at most.

cast iron, avocado oil and any creole seasoning. light sear

does good also with any cream based sauce.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Jgraider] #8919431 09/18/23 08:28 PM
R
Ramball36 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I’d rather have a nocturnally corn fed mallard over a crane

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Jgraider] #8919442 09/18/23 08:41 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Filet the breast off the bone. Light coat of olive oil. Season liberally with Montreal steak seasoning. Grill to medium rare. Rest it 4 minutes. Slice thin and sop each bite in A-1. Serve with a salad and a baked potato.

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8919451 09/18/23 08:52 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
sop each bite in A-1.

Especially if you over cook it. roflmao

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Jgraider] #8919452 09/18/23 08:53 PM
C
Coastalquacker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Grilled it and was good, friend chicken fried it and wasn't a fan. I think an acorn fed mallard or woodduck is pretty good, too

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: Guy] #8919458 09/18/23 08:57 PM
O
OTL91 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted by Guy
That is not very nice riverruner. Are you always an A-hole? Just because you shoot ducks in a peanut field, does not mean they been feeding on peanuts all their life. It is a legitimate question, ducks are migratory, those same ducks most likely were feeding somewhere else the week or month before. Even if a duck was feeding same Texas field all season (3 months), would that really change the taste of the meat? I question if it would, but I'm not as smart as you.

I don't know how long it takes a ducks taste to change depending on what it eats but I will say this... the bluewing teal I shoot during teal season (filled with rice, usually coming to marsh after being in rice field) smells way better than the blue wing teal I shoot at the end of the season (not filled with rice, usually shooting teal that have been in the reservoir eating marsh type vegetation for a month or two).

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: OTL91] #8919481 09/18/23 09:20 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by OTL91

I don't know how long it takes a ducks taste to change depending on what it eats but I will say this... the bluewing teal I shoot during teal season (filled with rice, usually coming to marsh after being in rice field) smells way better than the blue wing teal I shoot at the end of the season (not filled with rice, usually shooting teal that have been in the reservoir eating marsh type vegetation for a month or two).

Are you saying the meat smells different? I could see how the uncleaned duck smells different, it will smell like the marsh it just came out of. But the meat itself, cleaned? I would have to do an official smell test before I would draw a conclusion.

Re: Sandhill Crane Really That Good? [Re: BradyBuck] #8919501 09/18/23 09:55 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I think certain species of ducks obviously tend to eat more grain versus other water plants or crustaceans/invertebrates

I do think it’s hard to know what ducks are eating regularly as they migrate. I think it would take weeks to be able to tell the difference. What flyway they are traveling could be a good indicator.

Off topic but my comments might lend some clarity. The majority of mallards and pintail that come down the central Flyway are born in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or the Dakotas. As soon as the crops come off they transition to feeding daily in harvested grain fields. Peas, Barley, Wheat, Soy Beans, Corn (last crop to come off) and further south peanuts, in that order. The daily routine is roost on potholes and small protected water. Leave in the morning to feed in the fields. Loaf in the afternoon on small sloughs. Return to the fields to feed till sundown. Return to roost ponds. Field decoys on dry land in harvested grain fields is how they are predominately hunted. The locals frown on hunting the water and frequently will deny access if you hunt water. The birds have ample food supply in the Ag fields and are putting on fat to migrate. If they have unmolested water to rest on they will stick around till the freeze line pushes them south. Hunt the water and they move on. This pattern holds all the way to Kansas. A little to the west it holds to the Texas Panhandle. Those birds get on grain in September and stay on it till the freeze line pushes them south of big agriculture. Those birds have a higher fat content and are noticeably milder tasting than the mallards I shoot at the southern end of the Flyway. In my part of Texas the best eating waterfowl are wood ducks that are feeding on acorns in flooded timber.
The bulk of texas waterfowlers do not shoot grain fed ducks in Texas. Guy, I hunt up north a couple weeks every year. Yes the meat is not as strong smelling in the grain fed birds. It is the same principle as finishing a calf before butchering and upping the the grade to prime by what you feed it the last 30 days.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide