Hello + Questions as a New Hunter #8916705 09/13/23 07:50 PM
A
apex32 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Hello all,

I've enjoyed finding this forum and have read a bunch on here and wanted to say hi and also had a few questions for y'all as this is rather new to me.

I live in North Texas (McKinney area) and recently bought a 60+ acre farm with a home in East Texas (Bowie County). Some of the threads about ETX have me a little concerned so I have gotten a bunch of cameras up and started monitoring and getting closer to the neighbors up there. I think where this property is located will be okay, but I want to be safe rather than sorry.

Unfortunately I did not learn to hunt or field dress as a kid, but I am in my 30s now and learning on YouTube University currently. Eager to start getting hands on.

The property is 75% wooded, some of it heavily wooded and the prior owner of nearly 30 years did not hunt the land. I am starting to put up some trail cameras. Anyone have advice on where to start with identifying some areas to hunt from and tree stand vs blind, etc? There is a ~20 acre pasture where cattle grazed prior and a large ~1acre pond but this is closer to the home/road.

I did see 2 smaller white tail deer when walking the property back in June before closing. Right now deer hunting is all I am planning to do for now. I will be using a 14.5" AR with 1-6x LPVO and hunting loads.

Lastly, I need to buy knives and field dressing items, anyone have go to items that are high quality and will last without breaking the bank?

I have a 2 year old son and my goal is to become seasoned myself to teach him as soon as he is old enough.

Appreciate y'all. I will take any wisdom I can get.

Last edited by apex32; 09/13/23 07:51 PM.
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8916715 09/13/23 07:58 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Welcome to the THF!! As far as a hunting location goes, I would scout the areas that are near cover or bedding areas, and set up a stand location near there where I have some shooting lanes. I like stand locations where I can see in multiple directions with shooting lanes or where there is some open areas to shoot in. After you set it up and have one hunting season, you can make changes from there. But I would set up a feeder or two towards the center area of your property and go from there.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8916724 09/13/23 08:10 PM
B
B Razorback Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Welcome to the THF! I would definitely put a feeder up towards the center of the property and put a camera on it just to see what you're working with like stated above. From a scouting perspective I would focus on finding some trails to get an idea of where they're traveling and maybe find some trails that merge into one. Hunting a new property is always a learn more as you go process, but you'll get it figured out!

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8916725 09/13/23 08:11 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
U
Welcome! East Texas is not as bad as people say it is...but what they say can be rooted in truth. Some areas are worse than others. I have a buddy that owns land and hunts Bowie county. He has had few issues. For scouting, look for travel routes and especially pinch points. Deer often like to travel the easiest route, and they like to stay near edges usually. Get some stands and feeders out, and you can always move them if you notice activity in a different area later.

For field dressing/processing, any decent knife will do. My favorite is an old Western that used to be my Grandfather's. I also have Bucks, Kershaws, and Gerbers. As long as you can get it sharp, and it stays sharp long enough. You don't need a big blade. 3-5 inches. Side note, I don't like gut hooks. I think they make the tip of the blade weak.

Kill some pigs and practice field dressing, skinning, and quartering them. They break down exactly like a deer does, only pigs are harder to skin. Learn to process at home. You will end up with a better product.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8916854 09/14/23 12:10 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by apex32

Lastly, I need to buy knives and field dressing items, anyone have go to items that are high quality and will last without breaking the bank?

I don't use much other than knives, latex or nitrile gloves, and baggies. I am also not a "knife guy." I just need a tool that works well. I don't need a master craftsman custom knife with unobtanium edged blade and narwhal horn grips. I just need something that will hold up to my abuse.

So for knives, there are a lot of really good options out there, but I am going to suggest one of the less expensive options. For several years, I have carried the very inexpensive and very functional Moraknivs that I get from Amazon. They come with a plastic scabbard that isn't going to flex in your pocket and potentially let you be stabbed through the scabbard as can happen with some cheap (thinner, more flexible) leather scabbard. I particularly like these because they come in neon colors that you are less apt to visually loose if you lay one down in the grass. That is my personal pro tip for you based on having lost various items in the field. These are not the least expensive Moraknivs, but they are the ones I am using. At this price, you can buy 2 or 3 and have spares.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EOJAKI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have tried a variety of sharpening gadgets, stones, and tools for knives. Again, not a knife guy. I finally settled on a Worksharp belt sharpener and used it to be a slightly different edge on my knives. This is one of the cheaper belt sharpeners and it works well enough. I can put a fresh edge on one of my knives in a minute or so and be good to butcher another hog or two with it. So it is really convenient to come in from a hunt, wash off my knife or knives used, and then spend very little time resharpening them for the next hunt. There are other options and some may be better or a better value, but this is functional for getting the job done.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J553RHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

This!
Kill some pigs and practice field dressing, skinning, and quartering them. They break down exactly like a deer does, only pigs are harder to skin. Learn to process at home. You will end up with a better product.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8916956 09/14/23 02:55 AM
TCM3 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
welcome

(R-TX)
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8916975 09/14/23 04:33 AM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
welcome

For skinning, I recommend one of the new replaceable blade knives. I have a bunch of hunting knives, but for skinning I won't leave home without it!
[Linked Image]

"If some of our teenage thrill seekers really want to go out and get a thrill. Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul" - Fred Bear
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8916977 09/14/23 04:51 AM
U
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
U
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted by apex32

I don't use much other than knives, latex or nitrile gloves, and baggies. I am also not a "knife guy." I just need a tool that works well. I don't need a master craftsman custom knife with unobtanium edged blade and narwhal horn grips. I just need something that will hold up to my abuse.

So for knives, there are a lot of really good options out there, but I am going to suggest one of the less expensive options. For several years, I have carried the very inexpensive and very functional Moraknivs that I get from Amazon. They come with a plastic scabbard that isn't going to flex in your pocket and potentially let you be stabbed through the scabbard as can happen with some cheap (thinner, more flexible) leather scabbard. I particularly like these because they come in neon colors that you are less apt to visually loose if you lay one down in the grass. That is my personal pro tip for you based on having lost various items in the field. These are not the least expensive Moraknivs, but they are the ones I am using. At this price, you can buy 2 or 3 and have spares.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EOJAKI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have tried a variety of sharpening gadgets, stones, and tools for knives. Again, not a knife guy. I finally settled on a Worksharp belt sharpener and used it to be a slightly different edge on my knives. This is one of the cheaper belt sharpeners and it works well enough. I can put a fresh edge on one of my knives in a minute or so and be good to butcher another hog or two with it. So it is really convenient to come in from a hunt, wash off my knife or knives used, and then spend very little time resharpening them for the next hunt. There are other options and some may be better or a better value, but this is functional for getting the job done.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J553RHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

This!

The morokniv looks like a good stout knife. I have zero experience with them, but looks like a good choice at first look.

I have to disagree with you on the belt sharpeners. I've tried them and don't like them at all. IMO they are too aggressive and do more damage than good. I would suggest a Lansky or wicked edge type system. YMMV

current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: pertnear] #8916978 09/14/23 04:56 AM
U
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
U
Originally Posted by pertnear
welcome

For skinning, I recommend one of the new replaceable blade knives. I have a bunch of hunting knives, but for skinning I won't leave home without it!
[Linked Image]

I tried these too. I thought they were flimsy feeling and had too much flex. I prefer a knife with a stout spine. That doesn't mean it has to be expensive.

Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8917033 09/14/23 12:18 PM
H
Hogflyer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Well hi! and welcome to THF! I am not going to give you any advice other than be safe, and have fun with your son
and record all memories with a camera for later dates of enjoyment! Been hunting over 50+ years, and i learn something
usually every year from doing it!

As far as knifes go, many out there will fit the bill, in your case i would consider one of those kits that has several items
for meat processing and give you a variety of knifes to choose from. All major box, sporting good stores carry them!

Good luck, be safe, and post us some results!

hogflyer

"Buy more ammo, save it for a rainy day."
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8917037 09/14/23 12:28 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Welcome !!!
Your property will have some areas better than others for seeing deer. Look for funnels and or areas where the deer have a natural transit where they feel secure in moving.
Set up a feeder along this area. Make note of the prevailing winds on your place and set up your blind and or stand down wind from feeder.
With 60 acres you'll probably have a couple feeder locations,
Don't know your age but with a 2 year old son you were probably born after 1971 so make sure you take the hunter Ed course so your legal.

Hoping you find as much pleasure as us in your new out door focus. I've been doing this for 60 years and I've never had a boring day afield.

With your son at 2 years old I expect he will be addicted in about 5 years and you'll have a life long partner in this amazing past time

Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8917044 09/14/23 12:41 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I use the outdoor edge replaceable blade knife like the one shown above, and a small Gerber T-handle saw to cut through pelvic bone and sternum. You don't need a rigid knife to skin the hide back enough to get to the pelvic bone and sternum. Field dressing a deer is one of those things that is much easier to demonstrate than it is to write about. I'll give it a shot:

Gravity and controlling the rear legs are key. If at all possible, get on flat ground. If you're on a slight incline, deer on it's back, [censored] up hill, head down. Tie each rear leg to whatever you can find to hold them apart so each hand is free to skin the hide back and away from the pelvic area. You'll have to cut through some muscle here to get to the bone. Once you've cut through the muscle fully exposing the pelvic bone, use the T handle saw to cut through the pelvic bone. The saw has a blunt end to it so as you are sawing back and forth you won't puncture the lining that all of the guts are in, and if you have the deer on an incline with the guts downhill all this stuff won't be in the way as you are sawing through the pelvic bone. Get through the pelvic bone with the saw, press down on the hind 1/4's until the pelvic bone breaks and the 1/4's lay flat. Split the hide with your knife all the way up to the sternum and use the same saw to split the sternum. Since it has a blunt edge and the blade is only about 4" you won't puncture anything as you use both hands, standing over and straddling your deer sawing up and down. At this point you've got the sternum and pelvic bone prepared to pull everything out. Here's where it gets a little messy. I'll stop and let someone else take over. There is way more than one method. You don't have to gut, you can 1/4, you can split the sternum and pelvic bone on the ground, then hang from a game hoist to finish, etc.....I'll use what ever method is most practical for the situation.

The knife with the throw away blade is the best thing I ever bought for a specific purpose. It's sharp like a surgeon's scalpel, works great but be careful.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8917101 09/14/23 02:11 PM
65x55 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I'm a Morakniv fan as well, good sturdy all-purpose outdoors knife that won't break the bank. I'd also say to pursue other game as well, your property probably has squirrels and rabbits and they're good practice for woodscraft, marksmanship, handling game, etc.

Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8917792 09/15/23 07:23 PM
A
apex32 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Thank you all for the helpful responses, I really appreciate it!

Now that it has cooled off a bit, I am going to walk around some more and see what I can find based on the advice above and start scouting it out. I will look into a feeder also.

I also bought a trail cam to test out and the cellular seems to be working pretty well so I will get that in a better spot and maybe get another one.

I am excited to get started and I will keep learning. Thanks again to everyone!

Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8917824 09/15/23 08:58 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Here are the most important buzzwords when it comes to deer hunting IMHO...

Rut
Travel funnels/pinch points and corridors
Safe zones/bedding areas
Wind
Practice
Proper clothing and boots
Patience and being quiet - The more you walk the more you'll see.

Good luck!

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/15/23 09:00 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8917834 09/15/23 09:08 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
welcome And congrats on your property purchase. That's huge. Well done.

I've derided Deep East Texas from time to time, but true deep east Texas is way south of you. As with just about any place, if you make connections with truly good people around the property, they'll watch out for your place like it was their own. There is no substitute for locals keeping an eye on your place. up

Good hunting!

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8922798 09/24/23 01:58 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
welcome Have fun, and enjoy every moment with your son. They grow like weeds. Good luck.

Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8922971 09/24/23 01:47 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
welcome ta texasHF.
Some great info from others.
Get ta know the area. trails used.
Walmart has cheap trail cams.
Cover more areas.
Get ta know your neighbors.
Try put feeders around middle of property, 2ta3
Can get some lean on ladder stands, chain on & self climbing stands.
Put in area of movement, can see good ta see how deer/hogs move.
Can always move closer.
Deer will find & take note or the box stands. They are more comfrrtable..
Look for oak trees, red/ white oak. Deer will hit them white oak more sweet
Deer favor them.
If ya got hogs. up as mentioned, they cut up same as deer, they're good eating.
Place I had, concentrated on them. Let the deer get little more age.
Yet, the younger deer/hogs are better, tender for grillen & challenge.
Emphasize on enjoying surroundings on enjoying nature, time spent, & pass it on to your children.
Best wishes.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: 1860.colt] #8923296 09/24/23 11:54 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by 1860.colt
welcome ta texasHF.
Some great info from others.
Get ta know the area. trails used.
Walmart has cheap trail cams.
Cover more areas.
Get ta know your neighbors.
Try put feeders around middle of property, 2ta3
Can get some lean on ladder stands, chain on & self climbing stands.
Put in area of movement, [/color]can see good ta see how deer/hogs move.
Can always move closer. [color:#FF0000]

Deer will find & take note or the box stands. They are more comfrrtable..
Look for oak trees, red/ white oak. Deer will hit them white oak more sweet
Deer favor them.
If ya got hogs. up as mentioned, they cut up same as deer, they're good eating.
Place I had, concentrated on them. Let the deer get little more age.
Yet, the younger deer/hogs are better, tender for grillen & challenge.
Emphasize on enjoying surroundings on enjoying nature, time spent, & pass it on to your children.
Best wishes.
flag

Overall good post colt. I like the part about setting up where you can see a lot and then move closer as needed.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Hello + Questions as a New Hunter [Re: apex32] #8924429 09/26/23 09:13 PM
A
apex32 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Thanks all! Very helpful information. I am working on some of these suggestions as time permits an looking forward to making more progress.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide