Forums46
Topics538,407
Posts9,736,793
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8915833 09/12/23 09:12 AM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Cash buyers are still out there. They don't need a mortgage. Hot areas of NTX are still going to do well.

Cash buyers are probably still rampant in the area

Coming from places like California and finding a $750K cash house is a steal for them

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: DocHorton] #8915834 09/12/23 09:16 AM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by Chopped54
So the market has went from bidding wars and huge amounts over asking with no homes available, to tons sitting and being marked down. There are a mob of people waiting to buy but not pulling the trigger because of high interest rates. Would it be smart to buy now without much competition at a lower price and then refinance if/when the rates go down versus waiting till rates lower and you are again fighting the mobs that also waited????

If rates drop back into the 4's expect bidding wars again. A lot of folks have a lot of cash and are just waiting for the opportunity. Real estate overall in DFW isn't really dropping and I don't expect it to, considering we aren't going to have a recession like was predicted. Even if there was a nationwide recession, I don't expect prices to drop much, if any, in Texas....same as 2008-09.

Spot on

Again, I am impressed by your assessment, You have alot of personal wisdom and I enjoy reading your posts. You offer alot of financial wisdom to the forum.

Respects to you.

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: RedRanger] #8916010 09/12/23 03:20 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I sold mine in May, in McKinney, three days on the market, 11 offers, right at 5% over asking. And the ask was high. They waived the appraisal contingency and requested no repairs after inspection. Another friend of mine listed hers in Plano a few months and a couple percentage points later, and she's had to come off $50k so far to even get showings. No offers yet.

Similar houses, both recently remodeled, about the same price point... now. Since mine was sold, there was only one in the area that sold for a higher $/sf, and they've been trending steadily downward since.

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: RedRanger] #8916072 09/12/23 05:08 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
The homes that I've been building in Commerce are usually under contract within a few hours of them hiting the mls. They are cottage style starter homes typically on a 1/3 acre lot, all of them have two car garages, high ceilings, and are under 2000 square feet so far. I make a point of building them nicer than I have to; stainless appliances, good cabinets, granite countertops, and good fixtures and lighting throughout the entire house. I even make a point of having an electrical outlet and a hose bib on every side of the house.

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: blkt2] #8916090 09/12/23 05:50 PM
G
Grit Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by blkt2
The homes that I've been building in Commerce are usually under contract within a few hours of them hiting the mls. They are cottage style starter homes typically on a 1/3 acre lot, all of them have two car garages, high ceilings, and are under 2000 square feet so far. I make a point of building them nicer than I have to; stainless appliances, good cabinets, granite countertops, and good fixtures and lighting throughout the entire house. I even make a point of having an electrical outlet and a hose bib on every side of the house.

I thought you were in the pool business. You are a homebuilder as well?

Garrett
Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: Grit] #8916095 09/12/23 06:02 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Grit

I thought you were in the pool business. You are a homebuilder as well?

My buddy is the home builder, I'm just the money man. I pick the plans and he does the rest. We split the profits down the middle. By the end of the year we will have built five this year. Our goal is to finish one per month and we will probably get to that point next year.

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: blkt2] #8916112 09/12/23 06:37 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

You would think a hose bib on every side would be common place, but it’s not. One of the things that aggravated me the most about our house. No, I didn’t think to ask but I shouldn’t have had to

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: txtrophy85] #8916120 09/12/23 06:49 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

You would think a hose bib on every side would be common place, but it’s not. One of the things that aggravated me the most about our house. No, I didn’t think to ask but I shouldn’t have had to

It's kind of a pet peeve of mine. I work on swimming pools every day and nothing is more maddening than needing to use a hose and not being able to find a hose bib on the house. I'm talking multi-million dollar houses where the builders cut corners in the oddest places. I'll frequently have to find somewhere in the landscape irrigation that I can tie a hose into.

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: RedRanger] #8916211 09/12/23 09:24 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Before I quit building I had starting putting hot and cold water at one location, usually in the rear. It is cheap to do and handier than you might imagine. You could put a "Y" hose on them and regulate the temp for giving pets a bath, etc.

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: DannyB] #8916221 09/12/23 10:01 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by DannyB
Before I quit building I had starting putting hot and cold water at one location, usually in the rear. It is cheap to do and handier than you might imagine. You could put a "Y" hose on them and regulate the temp for giving pets a bath, etc.

Damn it, I never thought of doing that. I'm going to start doing that in every garage.

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: DannyB] #8916223 09/12/23 10:01 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R

I just don't see the need for Hot Water Hose Bib in North Texas

Up north where it's cold, I could see it being needed or used. It pretty easy to add one after the build if needed, but don't see anyone ever wanting one in our area.

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: blkt2] #8916227 09/12/23 10:05 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R

Damn it, I never thought of doing that. I'm going to start doing that in every garage.

Just get the Rheem HotWave instead

I like the concept, but living in Texas I just can't find any need for it.

If I lived up in colder climate it may be handy

https://www.rheem.com/innovations/innovation_residential/hotwave/

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: RedRanger] #8916236 09/12/23 10:25 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by RedRanger

Up north where it's cold, I could see it being needed or used. It pretty easy to add one after the build if needed, but don't see anyone ever wanting one in our area.

During the build the expense is absolutely negligible, and not so easy after the build on some house plans. If you don't see the need then hose yourself down in January, outside. It was a horse owner that gave me the idea. Dog owners have since told me how much they like it for bathing their dogs in the winter.

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: DannyB] #8916238 09/12/23 10:32 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R

During the build the expense is absolutely negligible, and not so easy after the build on some house plans. If you don't see the need then hose yourself down in January, outside. It was a horse owner that gave me the idea. Dog owners have since told me how much they like it for bathing their dogs in the winter.

I would rather have a dedicated dog shower in the house vs an outside hot hose bib if I was building a new house.

You can't temper the water temps if you have an outside hot bib and can lead to scalding

I would find this a liablilty for a child turning on a hose bib and burning themself or a homewoner scalding a family pet.

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: RedRanger] #8916246 09/12/23 10:37 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

I would rather have a dedicated dog shower in the house vs an outside hot hose bib if I was building a new house.

You can't temper the water temps if you have an outside hot bib and can lead to scalding

Did you read the original post? "You could put a "Y" hose on them and regulate the temp for giving pets a bath, etc." Why did I bother? You can bathe your Frisco Schnauzer in in the house.

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: DannyB] #8916258 09/12/23 11:08 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R

Did you read the original post? "You could put a "Y" hose on them and regulate the temp for giving pets a bath, etc." Why did I bother? You can bathe your Frisco Schnauzer in in the house.

So you suggest to jimmy rig the hose bibs? Interesting

Houses have frost proof hose bibs and have had for them decades, by putting a "Y" hose as you suggest is silly and defeats the design purpose.

Frost proof are designed to have nothing attached to the hose bib during winter to prevent freeze breaks, this is common knowledge in the building trade industry.

Thus hooking up a "Y" can and will lead to freeze breaks on your hose bibs in the winter and can and will cause flooding to your homes.

I would never suggest to a homeowner to jimmy rig a hose bib.

Install the right equipment they make a Hot/Cold Hose bibs and Woodford make a good one

Hot/Cold Hose Bib

Last edited by RedRanger; 09/12/23 11:21 PM.
Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: RedRanger] #8916491 09/13/23 01:43 PM
P
Poppa Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
put a vacuum breaker on the hose bibb. its code in some cities

Last edited by Poppa; 09/13/23 01:43 PM.
Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: Poppa] #8916497 09/13/23 01:55 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Poppa

I absolutely hate those things with a passion. A double check valve on the water supply going into the house is the real solution for the problem they're trying to fix with that vacuum break.

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: Poppa] #8916500 09/13/23 01:57 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Poppa

Most house built since like early 1990's have a built in vacumn breaker on the frost proof hose bib.

Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: RedRanger] #8917205 09/14/23 04:33 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Just get the Rheem HotWave instead

I like the concept, but living in Texas I just can't find any need for it.

If I lived up in colder climate it may be handy

https://www.rheem.com/innovations/innovation_residential/hotwave/

How good is this? I see a great application for this at the lease where we have water, but no hot water heater. It would be nice to have warm water to wash hands, wash and rinse a few dishes, etc...

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Housing Market still on fire? [Re: RedRanger] #8917231 09/14/23 05:13 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by Chopped54
So the market has went from bidding wars and huge amounts over asking with no homes available, to tons sitting and being marked down. There are a mob of people waiting to buy but not pulling the trigger because of high interest rates. Would it be smart to buy now without much competition at a lower price and then refinance if/when the rates go down versus waiting till rates lower and you are again fighting the mobs that also waited????

If rates drop back into the 4's expect bidding wars again. A lot of folks have a lot of cash and are just waiting for the opportunity. Real estate overall in DFW isn't really dropping and I don't expect it to, considering we aren't going to have a recession like was predicted. Even if there was a nationwide recession, I don't expect prices to drop much, if any, in Texas....same as 2008-09.

Spot on

Again, I am impressed by your assessment, You have alot of personal wisdom and I enjoy reading your posts. You offer alot of financial wisdom to the forum.

Respects to you.

Geez . . . , get a room. bolt

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide