Forums46
Topics538,275
Posts9,735,154
Members87,077
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Harvest Moon-Teal Migrating? [Re: Twisted Mallard HC] #8909579 08/29/23 04:32 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I have witnessed the full moon migration a couple of times with teal. Both times were in the last few days of the early teal season and in places that have a lot of hunting pressure. Way before I had a mud boat so I had to do what I had to do. By far the best hunts of the season as far as numbers seen goes. On one of them I setup on a big slough right off the main lake, which isn't where I'd normally target teal. It was wave after wave all morning flying south down the lake. We were able to pull enough in to have a quick hunt, but 90% were just moving thru. That was one of those moons that was so bright you could see in color an hour before shooting light.

Could it have been a fluke? Some other reason? Only they know, but it was noticeable. Where's the Sitka wearin' Boss shootin' nocturnal corn guy to explain the science?

Re: Harvest Moon-Teal Migrating? [Re: LarryCopper] #8909771 08/30/23 01:21 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by LarryCopper
Could it have been a fluke? Some other reason?

Was it 2012? Every day was good that season.

[Linked Image]

Re: Harvest Moon-Teal Migrating? [Re: Twisted Mallard HC] #8909806 08/30/23 03:02 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
2017 was the last really good teal season I remember for NTX. The year of hurricane Harvey, we had a ton of water and birds.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Harvest Moon-Teal Migrating? [Re: Guy] #8909949 08/30/23 03:17 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Guy

2012 was a good one. So good I successfully hunted a 5 acre pond north of DFW loaded with aquatic vegetation every couple of days. Looking at the duck logs, that was the year and spot I got my 5 second after LST limit... back when the limit was 4.

2018 was they last year I saw the moon migration on the last day of the season. Full moon was the next day.

Re: Harvest Moon-Teal Migrating? [Re: LarryCopper] #8909981 08/30/23 03:42 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy

2012 was a good one. So good I successfully hunted a 5 acre pond north of DFW loaded with aquatic vegetation every couple of days. Looking at the duck logs, that was the year and spot I got my 5 second after LST limit... back when the limit was 4.

2018 was they last year I saw the moon migration on the last day of the season. Full moon was the next day.

Just looking at my log and photos, last year teal opener was fullmoon (Sep 9,2022). Friday afternoon went to scout, spot I wanted to hunt was bone dry. So went to another lake, did not get their till dark, slept in the truck at the boat ramp and took these pics before I went to sleep. I got skunked btw.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Harvest Moon-Teal Migrating? [Re: Twisted Mallard HC] #8910012 08/30/23 04:24 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Funny I don't remember a full moon opener last year. Maybe it was cloudy where I was. I also got skunked, but for a different reason. I got a call Fri afternoon from a guy I had hunted with once... friend of a friend thing. He said he had found a ton of birds but didn't have a boat. I got my arse up at 1 am to make sure we got the spot. Even with the boat we had to walk a long way in some nasty mud. Got swamped up bad. LST comes around and we're sitting on a point with a tiny slough of sheet water around us. Nothing else. Never saw a single teal.

Afterwards I talked to the mutual buddy. It turns out the guy is a compulsive liar and they had all disowned him. I didn't know LOL. He had never scouted. He even told me he had used the mutual buddy's boat... like I wouldn't find out?!? He was just going on a hunch and lied to sell me on it. He did drink a 12 pack of Natties and shot a couple chi chi birds for his ahole dog to retrieve.

Lesson learned.

Re: Harvest Moon-Teal Migrating? [Re: LarryCopper] #8910017 08/30/23 04:34 PM
H
Hizenbay Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Tell me Larry, was he wearing a Sitka jacket and shooting Boss? I wear a Sitka jacket. And I use Boss shells and I would never deceive anyone in that way.

But then again, I hunt private. So I guess it's a moot point.

Re: Harvest Moon-Teal Migrating? [Re: Twisted Mallard HC] #8910068 08/30/23 05:50 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I teal hunted 6 times during early season last year. Shot or should have shot limits every time out. All on the same piece of water. Real unique situation with fork being low. Won’t ever happen again but it was fun last year.

Re: Harvest Moon-Teal Migrating? [Re: LarryCopper] #8910071 08/30/23 05:59 PM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Funny I don't remember a full moon opener last year. Maybe it was cloudy where I was. I also got skunked, but for a different reason. I got a call Fri afternoon from a guy I had hunted with once... friend of a friend thing. He said he had found a ton of birds but didn't have a boat. I got my arse up at 1 am to make sure we got the spot. Even with the boat we had to walk a long way in some nasty mud. Got swamped up bad. LST comes around and we're sitting on a point with a tiny slough of sheet water around us. Nothing else. Never saw a single teal.

Afterwards I talked to the mutual buddy. It turns out the guy is a compulsive liar and they had all disowned him. I didn't know LOL. He had never scouted. He even told me he had used the mutual buddy's boat... like I wouldn't find out?!? He was just going on a hunch and lied to sell me on it. He did drink a 12 pack of Natties and shot a couple chi chi birds for his ahole dog to retrieve.

Lesson learned.

What in the hail did the dog do for you to call it an ahole? I don't know why, but you calling out the dog struck me as funny.

Re: Harvest Moon-Teal Migrating? [Re: js4242] #8910173 08/30/23 09:32 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by js4242

Lesson learned.

What in the hail did the dog do for you to call it an ahole? I don't know why, but you calling out the dog struck me as funny.

As the owner goes, so goes the dog. It's a guilt by association thing. My dog is extremely smart and good looking.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Harvest Moon-Teal Migrating? [Re: jnd59] #8910207 08/30/23 10:19 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My dog is muscular…

[Linked Image]

Re: Harvest Moon-Teal Migrating? [Re: jnd59] #8910225 08/30/23 11:11 PM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by jnd59
Originally Posted by js4242

Lesson learned.

As the owner goes, so goes the dog. It's a guilt by association thing. My dog is extremely smart and good looking.

I get that, I just found it funny he called out the dog. Had to be some sort of miserable day to go there

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide