Forums46
Topics539,248
Posts9,747,277
Members87,148
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: Texas Dan] #8907553 08/25/23 03:24 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by TPACK
I didn`t even hunt with a feeder back when I started hunting in 1977. Not many people did.

If there were ever a disease outbreak in Texas that made it illegal to hunt deer over a feeder, I suspect the number of hunting licenses sold would drop by at least 25%. A lot more deer shooters in the state now than deer hunters.

Dan, I like your posts more than most on here(doesn’t say much), but you continue to disparage “feeder hunters” “every time you’re given the opportunity”.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: Texas Dan] #8907559 08/25/23 03:37 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
we had feeders but not like the ones today....they were homemade out of 40 gallon drums with bent conduit for legs. motors were these little dinky 6v units that had a photocell and no timer....they went off according to the daylight in the morning and evening. it was always 50/50 if you showed up friday if the feeder was gonna go off saturday morning. Not that the deer really came all that good to corn anyhow. Good season was seeing a buck or two that wasn't a spike. We did see some nice bucks but only shot one, that was on opening day 10 min into the season.

Now we see more bucks in one sitting than we would a whole season in the Piney woods.

Times have sure changed and largely for the better

Y
"When everyone gets a trophy, no one gets a trophy." There would be far less a chase to see who can shoot the deer with the biggest rack if it wasn't so easy to attract and shoot them. And there's no denying that people now feed and harvest deer as if they were livestock. Hell, some even give certain deer they see repeatedly a name. The only difference is deer can jump a barbed wire fence, which helped lead to the growth of high fences. Yes, there is definitely an elephant in the room when it comes to deer hunting in Texas.

Dan, I love that quote, “when everyone gets a trophy, no one gets a trophy”. But your comments in regard to it I disagree with(of course). 4 of us on a few 1000 acre lease that’s LF, no protein and not intensively managed. Hunt hard and long and all 4 of us can kill a 6yr 150+ deer every year. But we dont. The “challenge” is to hunt harder and longer in order to kill one bigger than what is common. Use feeders and cameras and everything you can, but up the challenge by upping the quality of the Trophy. That’s what I’m all about and I go empty handed most of the time and I’m very happy with that. The process, the pursuit, the challenge to find the baddest guy in the woods is what drives me.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: freerange] #8907789 08/25/23 05:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by freerange
Dan, I love that quote, “when everyone gets a trophy, no one gets a trophy”. But your comments in regard to it I disagree with(of course). 4 of us on a few 1000 acre lease that’s LF, no protein and not intensively managed. Hunt hard and long and all 4 of us can kill a 6yr 150+ deer every year. But we dont. The “challenge” is to hunt harder and longer in order to kill one bigger than what is common. Use feeders and cameras and everything you can, but up the challenge by upping the quality of the Trophy. That’s what I’m all about and I go empty handed most of the time and I’m very happy with that. The process, the pursuit, the challenge to find the baddest guy in the woods is what drives me.

Point well taken.

Still, with that amount of acreage and natural habitat, I bet you and your buddies have the skills it takes to kill just as big and mature deer without needing any feeders.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/25/23 05:02 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: spoon33] #8907857 08/25/23 08:04 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
We need a THF award called the Platinum Dan, awarded to deer shot without the aid of feeders.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: spoon33] #8907873 08/25/23 08:44 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
Mostly meat hunter here! Not completely if it is brown it is down but I want at least 3 deer in the freezer a year. We can afford to buy as much beef as we want but we prefer venison, other wild meat like ducks, fish, and garden veggies. We process it at home, eat it, and share it with family, neighbors, and fellow church members who get in a bad way from time to time. Happy to kill does and have been invited a couple of times to do so on an MLD place which was so great. I took my wife hunting last year, she out of the blue asked to go with me for the first time in our 33 year marriage. She shot a huge doe and a young 6 point buck. Many on here would be upset at the age of the buck she took but she did it by herself, she chose him, she killed him ethically and legally, the meat was delicious and the event is a sweet, sweet memory for us. Everyone hunts/fishes for their own reasons and I don't think one is better than the other. Having said that, shooting a place out is obviously dumb and goes against everything it means to be a hunter/conservationist and good steward of the land and God's creatures. For those that are really into managing and trophy hunting I think what y'all do is so great as well! I love the pics. of the huge bucks. Whatever deer season means to you, everyone please have a good and safe season and don't forget to thank the man up stairs. The creations He made for us and our use are awesome!

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: BassBuster1] #8907887 08/25/23 09:19 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BassBuster1
Mostly meat hunter here! Not completely if it is brown it is down but I want at least 3 deer in the freezer a year. We can afford to buy as much beef as we want but we prefer venison, other wild meat like ducks, fish, and garden veggies. We process it at home, eat it, and share it with family, neighbors, and fellow church members who get in a bad way from time to time. Happy to kill does and have been invited a couple of times to do so on an MLD place which was so great. I took my wife hunting last year, she out of the blue asked to go with me for the first time in our 33 year marriage. She shot a huge doe and a young 6 point buck. Many on here would be upset at the age of the buck she took but she did it by herself, she chose him, she killed him ethically and legally, the meat was delicious and the event is a sweet, sweet memory for us. Everyone hunts/fishes for their own reasons and I don't think one is better than the other. Having said that, shooting a place out is obviously dumb and goes against everything it means to be a hunter/conservationist and good steward of the land and God's creatures. For those that are really into managing and trophy hunting I think what y'all do is so great as well! I love the pics. of the huge bucks. Whatever deer season means to you, everyone please have a good and safe season and don't forget to thank the man up stairs. The creations He made for us and our use are awesome!

^^^^
up

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: txtrophy85] #8907923 08/25/23 11:06 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by redchevy
Meat hunters should fit fine with management. No mater what deer need to be taken, seems like one of the biggest issues with large managed leases is getting people to shoot the does.

“Should” being the key word.

What I’ve found is there isn’t nearly as many “meat hunters” as people claim. They will sit and lie to you and themselves that they are only interested in the meat, then will pass up a handful of does to smoke a 2 year old 8 point. “Can’t eat the horns they say” as they are busy loading up the deer to be skull capped at the processor and then nailed up to the garage along with the other 27 racks just like it…

Nailed it!!!!!!

Cant tell you how many places I have been on where the "meat hunters" say we need to shoot more deer because we have to many, but the ones they want to shoot are the ones with horns on their heads. LOL

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: spoon33] #8907964 08/26/23 01:24 AM
G
Giblett Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Hunt with a rifle and most of the times just a pistol. My pistol kills are my trophies even a ole slickk head with the 44 this past season. And the brown its down is going to apply to a doe in October with the new freedom 41 mag. I'm outa deer burger. Back in the late 80's it was gather up 4 or 5 deer between my buddy and i to carry to Caddo packing for summer sausage. Now its try to get a decent buck and a doe and i consider it a success. And hogs just make it even better.

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: spoon33] #8907982 08/26/23 02:19 AM
G
Giblett Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Hunt with a rifle and most of the times just a pistol. My pistol kills are my trophies even a ole slickk head with the 44 this past season. And the brown its down is going to apply to a doe in October with the new freedom 41 mag. I'm outa deer burger. Back in the late 80's it was gather up 4 or 5 deer between my buddy and i to carry to Caddo packing for summer sausage. Now its try to get a decent buck and a doe and i consider it a success. And hogs just make it even better.

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: freerange] #8908166 08/26/23 04:02 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by freerange
I didn`t even hunt with a feeder back when I started hunting in 1977. Not many people did.

If there were ever a disease outbreak in Texas that made it illegal to hunt deer over a feeder, I suspect the number of hunting licenses sold would drop by at least 25%. A lot more deer shooters in the state now than deer hunters.

Dan, I like your posts more than most on here(doesn’t say much), but you continue to disparage “feeder hunters” “every time you’re given the opportunity”.

When you quote him, it bypasses the ignore function on here.

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: Texas Dan] #8908215 08/26/23 06:28 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
you're trying to turn deer hunting into something its not.

No argument there. At least in Texas, the sport has evolved into something much different than how the game was played in decades past.

Still, in the grand scheme of things, so long as people buy a license, obey all bag limits, and show respect for their neighbors and the resource, all is good.

The fact that you see hunting as nothing more than a "game" may explain why you do not understand others' perspectives.

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: Texas Dan] #8908219 08/26/23 06:34 PM
O
Otto Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O

I would say they would drop by %50.
Most people hunting nowadays are hunting just to shoot at something.
They don't care and have no clue.

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: Otto] #8908313 08/26/23 10:18 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Otto

I would say they would drop by %50.
Most people hunting nowadays are hunting just to shoot at something.
They don't care and have no clue.

If they banned hunting over feeders tomorrow there is still 5.5 million deer in the state. It wouldn’t be much harder if at all to kill a deer.

There is no great skill involved in watching a well worn trail, edge of a field or power line right of way.

Y’all make it sound like deer hunting would be all but impossible for the majority of hunters.

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: spoon33] #8908418 08/27/23 02:56 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My wife and kids would probably be out. I’d be just as in as I am now.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: txtrophy85] #8908457 08/27/23 10:38 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Y’all make it sound like deer hunting would be all but impossible for the majority of hunters.

This is the internet. Don't you realize that some of our "betters" on here have the skill set of a San Bushman?

[Linked Image]

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: BassBuster1] #8908500 08/27/23 01:25 PM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D

This post is what hunting should be!! Congrats to yall! If you are happy & it is legal that is all that should matter. If you want to trophy hunt that is great too ,but always running people down for killing young bucks is totally wrong.

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: Creekrunner] #8908534 08/27/23 02:48 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

This is the internet. Don't you realize that some of our "betters" on here have the skill set of a San Bushman?

[Linked Image]

Exactly. If you want to get in a ghillie suit, grab a recurve and kill a deer from the ground, my hats off to you, that is a tough nut to crack.

But if you think there is some kind of moral superiority in shooting a deer with a scoped rifle over a trail or food plot vs. a feeder, you’re delusional.

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: DUKFVR] #8908555 08/27/23 03:39 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DUKFVR

This post is what hunting should be!! Congrats to yall! If you are happy & it is legal that is all that should matter. If you want to trophy hunt that is great too ,but always running people down for killing young bucks is totally wrong.

I agree with you, even though we try and not kill anything under 4 year old. A 4 year old is hard to come by where we hunt to. Me and my son have only been able to get one 4+ year old each year between the 2 of us, so one of us eats a tag every year since we`ve been on it since 2018. The places I hunted on when I was younger didn`t have many bucks and not many mature one for sure. A trophy on one lease may be a 120" 8 point and, on another lease, that deer will never get looked at. I'm lucky enough to be at the age where it`s more about the quality, than the quantity. Doesn`t mean that I`m passing a true trophy though. smile ani

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: spoon33] #8909001 08/28/23 01:55 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I changed from a trophy hunter for the last 65 years to a "if its brown it's down," this year. I took my three grandsons
deer hunting the first weekend in the season for the very first time in their lives and all three got a deer. That's all that
their mother would let them go.
I had no intention of telling them, "No, that's not big enough. You need something that you can hang on the wall if you
truly want to enjoy deer hunting." I think the smile on his face tells you his feelings and if he is now going to be a
deer hunter for life.
[Linked Image]

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: spoon33] #8909004 08/28/23 01:59 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
cheers

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: Mr. T.] #8909018 08/28/23 02:24 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
I changed from a trophy hunter for the last 65 years to a "if its brown it's down," this year. I took my three grandsons
deer hunting the first weekend in the season for the very first time in their lives and all three got a deer. That's all that
I had no intention of telling them, "No, that's not big enough. You need something that you can hang on the wall if you
truly want to enjoy deer hunting." I think the smile on his face tells you his feelings and if he is now going to be a
deer hunter for life.
[Linked Image]

Yes he is a buck hunter now! It will take a week to wipe that smile off. up

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: spoon33] #8909022 08/28/23 02:35 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
By the time I heard him tell his friends that story for the 100th time, I thought he had shot a Boone & Crockett buck. lol,

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: Mr. T.] #8909057 08/28/23 03:28 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
deer hunter for life.
[Linked Image]

Congratulations to all the young hunters and I would have done the same thing in your shoes.

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: spoon33] #8909180 08/28/23 07:39 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Good job Mr T.

Re: Ever hunted with a group who shoots anything? [Re: spoon33] #8909190 08/28/23 07:56 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
good time to segway into a topic that can go alongside the topic of people shooting whatever legal deer is presented:

Mr. T said his grandsons were only allowed to come hunting one weekend during the year....I would venture a guess that is the situation for a sizable number of the license holders in the state. Many will identify as being a hunter but that hunting may only equate to 1-3 days a year. People in this category are far more likely to capitalize on an opportunity to take a legal deer rather than hold out on for a bigger deer, older deer, etc. Growing up as a kid alot of us only got to go hunting once a year during thanksgiving or chirstmas break. As adults, many are hamstrung with time constraints such as work or family commitments that severely limit their time spent outdoors.

Just an observation I made while hoping it will rain on this cloudy day.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide