R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Frisco is going downhill

You have no idea what you're talking about.

He does make a lot of bonehead comments

Frisco is at around 200K population, build out is set for 425K that will take decades

My home has almost tripled in value since I purchased it in 2009

Frisco city planner has done a great job with the city, and so much to do here and they have so many parks and bike and walking trails.

I rolled up to Prosper last week, I live at Preston/Eldorado area and Prosper has really turned into a jewel as well, very nice with lots of restaurants and cool stores, I see that Specs Liquor opened this week in Prosper.

I hear Celina is the next big deal also.

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: B Razorback] #8907062 08/24/23 01:34 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by B Razorback
Just wanted to post this out there to see what helpful insight y'all could give since I know many of y'all have much more wisdom than I do in this field. My wife and I moved back here from NW Arkansas this past spring. Currently living in an apartment in McKinney and we're losing our minds being cramped up in there (we came from a rental house in NWA). Our original goal prior to moving was to buy a house in May of 2024. We're both young, have steady paying jobs and are wanting to stay in the N Dallas area (McKinney, Frisco, Celina and maybe Melissa). I know the interest rates are high right now, but I don't really expect them to go down much over the next couple years. No one wanting to sell/short supply of new builds are making things tough. Is it worth it to buy a house early next year and try to refinance down the road? I really appreciate any helpful tips because I don't think I can be cooped up in an apartment for another year.

I would also suggest to stay near the North Dallas Tollway for some reason house close seem to really skyrocket in price, plus the NDT moves pretty fast.

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: txtrophy85] #8907066 08/24/23 01:41 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Well, I stand corrected. My apologies. You just come off as a guy living on Mummy and Daddy's place.

I sincerely hope you'll find your way into one of those rural churches someday young man.

I've been doing heavy equipment auctions for a long time. I sold over $20 million worth my last year at Ritchie Brothers. I don't need anyone else's money. I would also never ask anyone if they bought their own place or not. Just like how you don't ask a man how many acres he has.

That heavy equipment you auction....they ever use any of it to build roads, streets, neighborhoods, commercial buildings, etc?

Check. Mate roflmao

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: Hudbone] #8907077 08/24/23 01:48 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Hudbone
I prefer blondes. It doesn't bother me that others prefer red heads and brunettes. I have my reasons for preferring blondes, but don't belittle others who choose reds and brunettes. I only have one blonde these days, but others can have all the reds and brunettes they desire. I do not make a practice of telling those who prefer reds and brunettes how wrong and misguided they are.

It seems as if somes feel better putting others down. i don't get that. Bad mojo. Stinking thinking is just that, stinking thinking.

There is wisdom in these words.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: B Razorback] #8907144 08/24/23 03:13 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Razorback...don't rush it and make sure you are ready and can afford it. A lot of folks crapping on renting but one good thing is it caps your monthly nut. What I mean by that is you know exactly every month what your outlay is...you buy a house...then you run into an AC issue, now you have to come up with 10k to replace the AC. Renting you don't have any unexpected (or very rarely) expenses. Now, I'm not trying to discourage you from buying but be aware what you are getting into and make certain you have means to handle the things that will pop up. There are ways to mitigate expenses like a home warranty (which I've had nothing but bad experiences with) is one big way to help limit your exposure.

Good luck! Nothing wrong with an FHA loan to get in a house sooner...my point is it's not just about a house payment, you need to look broader.

All this...coming from a guy who took a cold shower this morning because something is wrong with my 1 year old water heater. grin

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: Marc K] #8907154 08/24/23 03:19 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Marc K
I prefer blondes. It doesn't bother me that others prefer red heads and brunettes. I have my reasons for preferring blondes, but don't belittle others who choose reds and brunettes. I only have one blonde these days, but others can have all the reds and brunettes they desire. I do not make a practice of telling those who prefer reds and brunettes how wrong and misguided they are.

It seems as if somes feel better putting others down. i don't get that. Bad mojo. Stinking thinking is just that, stinking thinking.

There is wisdom in these words.

There is a strong hope the mind can comprehend what the eyes see.

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: BigfootWallace] #8907166 08/24/23 03:32 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I don't see the difference in an apartment and a subdivision spec home 5' from another spec home scratch

You're living on top of other people either way. Life is too short to live like that.

I have several friends that went from apartment living to subdivision housing. They will tell you there is a huge difference. I would have a hard time living in the city but some people would hate living in the country. To each his own

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: BigfootWallace] #8907177 08/24/23 03:38 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I don't see the difference in an apartment and a subdivision spec home 5' from another spec home scratch

You're living on top of other people either way. Life is too short to live like that.

Give it a rest. Your snobbish comments ae getting old fast.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: B Razorback] #8907198 08/24/23 04:02 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Just curious, is the Gov't still giving $6000 to first time homebuyers?

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: B Razorback] #8907202 08/24/23 04:08 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Wife and I did the apartment thing in Dallas at 23/24 (got married during that time) and built a house at 25 with pretty much zero out of pocket (only able to because we inherited some family land so it was a big chunk of equity brought to the table). Interest rate was about 3.25% iirc - so don't envy y'all trying to get started today. As others have said - lots of builders are advertising rates that are deeply discounted - certainly worth looking into as that's going to allow you to afford more house and a better ROI long-term.

Are you stuck on being up North? There are some decent communities E and SE of Dallas that are probably slightly more affordable if you're not scared of a little bit of a commute.

We have a pretty substantial commute (~68 miles one way) but it is worth the quiet life and no neighbors. I've noticed some of the properties/homes in our area cut the prices back a bit - might be worth looking into that as well if y'all aren't 100% sold on suburbia. Being young and not tied to a place yet y'all got lots of options to figure out what "fits"

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: Sidebuster] #8907218 08/24/23 04:22 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Sidebuster
Just curious, is the Gov't still giving $6000 to first time homebuyers?

It was 8K and during Obama term, I wasn't aware it came back

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: Cochise] #8907241 08/24/23 04:52 PM
B
B Razorback Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Yeah I'd say we're kind of stuck being up north just because of job locations, but we'll probably look east as well just to see what's out there.

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: B Razorback] #8907245 08/24/23 05:04 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Try to find an assumable mortgage, may have to put a little more down but it can save you a lot in the long run.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: B Razorback] #8907257 08/24/23 05:27 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Just wanted to post this out there to see what helpful insight y'all could give since I know many of y'all have much more wisdom than I do in this field. My wife and I moved back here from NW Arkansas this past spring. Currently living in an apartment in McKinney and we're losing our minds being cramped up in there (we came from a rental house in NWA). Our original goal prior to moving was to buy a house in May of 2024. We're both young, have steady paying jobs and are wanting to stay in the N Dallas area (McKinney, Frisco, Celina and maybe Melissa). I know the interest rates are high right now, but I don't really expect them to go down much over the next couple years. No one wanting to sell/short supply of new builds are making things tough. Is it worth it to buy a house early next year and try to refinance down the road? I really appreciate any helpful tips because I don't think I can be cooped up in an apartment for another year.

You got any construction/finishout/fix-up skills? Any kids in tow yet?

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: Espy] #8907271 08/24/23 05:56 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Espy

I have several friends that went from apartment living to subdivision housing. They will tell you there is a huge difference. I would have a hard time living in the city but some people would hate living in the country. To each his own

I lived in the city/suburbs until I was 16. It wasn't bad, there were woods nearby and I got to spend alot of time exploring and in the outdoors.

Moved to BFE Fischer Texas where we had 10 acres. New Braunfels wasn't much at the time and was 30 min away, San Antonio was an hour. Canyon Lake and the River were close but that got old fast. Stayed bored alot of the time. All the inconvienence of country living with none of the benefits. Moved into the Medical Center after high school and then to Helotes Area for work. Was right in the middle of things and really had a good time with all the bars, social stuff and we had fun. Moved for 6 months out to Kendalia area when I rented a place...down a long dirt road, very quiet, had a bit of land to mess around on but nothing substantial. 45 min drive to go to a gas station. That was ok but in your mid 20's it got old pretty quick. Moved to Stone Oak area of San Antonio and picked back up where I left off. First in an Apartment and then a nice home in an established quiet neighborhood.

Now live in the suburbs of a bedroom community and I enjoy it a lot . Not inner city and I don't have a commute so its a nice mix of being around people but not too many people. This would not have worked for me in my 20's and I wouldn't want to go back to an apartment in the city but it was alot of fun at the time.

People have different needs/wants at different times of their lives. Years go by and seasons change. My uncle told me something a long time ago that really rang true when I asked him my he lived in town and not on the ranch, "if you live at the ranch where are you going to go to get away"? Made a lot of sense.

Comments and attitudes like the above are extremely short sighted.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: B Razorback] #8907311 08/24/23 06:55 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Some folks actually enjoy their everyday life. Why would you want to get away from something you enjoy? I think that's lost on alot of people. This is a forum for people who supposedly love the outdoors, I still have not seen one single example given as to why I would give up being able to hunt on a daily basis for these so called "conveniences"

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: oldoak2000] #8907326 08/24/23 07:24 PM
B
B Razorback Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Was i
Originally Posted by oldoak2000

You got any construction/finishout/fix-up skills? Any kids in tow yet?

Negative no kids in tow yet. Was a trim carpenter for 4 years during high school and college but that's about it.

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: B Razorback] #8907338 08/24/23 07:39 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You're gonna have great kids when it's time. Others on here, man, I hope they don't have little ones.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: BigfootWallace] #8907345 08/24/23 07:59 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Some folks actually enjoy their everyday life. Why would you want to get away from something you enjoy? I think that's lost on alot of people. This is a forum for people who supposedly love the outdoors, I still have not seen one single example given as to why I would give up being able to hunt on a daily basis for these so called "conveniences"

So glad to be one of those "folks".

Nobody is trying to convince you to get closer to them.

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: B Razorback] #8907349 08/24/23 08:08 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
roflmao

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: B Razorback] #8907358 08/24/23 08:30 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

So glad to be one of those "folks".

Nobody is trying to convince you to get closer to them.

Why would they? People out here value privacy. We are not like you who spend life on I-35

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: B Razorback] #8907364 08/24/23 08:38 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Weak.

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: Creekrunner] #8907370 08/24/23 08:49 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Weak.

roflmao

Weak is "I have to live in an urban area because of church" .....

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: TexFlip] #8907375 08/24/23 08:55 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TexFlip
Try to find an assumable mortgage, may have to put a little more down but it can save you a lot in the long run.

Let's talk ASSUMABLE MORTGAGES

I know this topic is coming up quite a bit with Seller's holding a nice, low interest rate on their mortgage.

First, the seller's loan must be classified as an assumable mortgage, which would be a VA or FHA mortgage. Conventional or Jumbo mortgages are not typically assumable. The seller will check with their mortgage company/servicer to confirm the loan is assumable.

A potential buyer must get fully qualified or preapproved for the loan, just as any other purchase.
Note, for the VA Mortgages, the buyer is NOT required to be a Veteran.. but the Seller must be aware that their VA Eligibility tied up with this property will NOT be released in this case. Have your VA sellers call a lender to see the impact this would have on their ability to obtain future VA loans. (A Veteran can use eligibility on multiple properties, so may not be an issue!)

They buyer will be paying the seller the difference between the Appraised Value and the Loan Payoff, so the FULL EQUITY the seller has in the property. With property value appreciation we have seen over the last number of years, this can be a substantial sum of money.

The average turn time for the Assumption process is 90-120 days, so much longer than the typical 30 days for a traditional purchase.

So, in most cases an assumable loan is a far reach for most unless they find a lender willing to take the 2nd position on a loan.

Re: First Time Home Buyer [Re: B Razorback] #8907376 08/24/23 08:55 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
+ That's where several of the grandkids live. It's where the wife wants to live (I like women). I could go on and on. You're just a miserable kid that comes on here to put other people down. The definition of a troll. I pity, and actually do, pray for you.

And...auction ≠ selling.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide