Forums46
Topics538,334
Posts9,735,927
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8899069 08/10/23 11:15 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Bobo,

I have spent a good bit of time around there. We have family out there that own a few hundred acres on the river. I am fairly well informed. I love fishing for Guadalupe bass out of a canoe or kayak with an ultralight in that clear water. My take on public access to public water in Texas is obviously different than yours. (We have had this same discussion about access to public water discussing beaches in the past). Without a public access point above the proposed damn, and private property to the river bank, the landowner in effect takes the stretch of river he owns property along and transforms it to private water. That is what people are up in arms about. I don’t know how much clearer I can make it than that. I personally am against taking any of the public water in Texas away from the citizens. You obviously feel differently. I can agree to disagree with you Bobo. I am all for private landowners rights Bobo and would be considered a stakeholder. A private individual damming a public waterway is bound to create a public uproar though, and it has. Ultimately neither you or me will have a voice in the outcome.

this isnt an access issue, if anything it creates opportunity by creating a pool. regardless this has zero to do with access. .

my best friend has two of these damns in the llano. His ranch has been under same family since 1920. In fact thats how most ranches got their water, they build dams and water wheeled it up to houses. Both his pools hold fish, even now when flow is negligible. In fact because of the many damned pools is why you would be able to take a clear kayak and see fish.

Most of the llano probably wouldn’t be kayak-able with out those dams building pools back behind them most months of the year.

Any way this takes nothing away from the river’s water flow or access

Hope you are right Bobo. I’ve been getting an ear full from my wife’s brother that owns river front property and lives out there. He is pissed as are most. Concern is the Llano is fed by springs that well up and form the north and south Llano. One of the more beautiful rivers in Texas to me.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Whammer7] #8899074 08/10/23 11:23 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Yes, that is why I posted that. It takes nothing away from water flow after it initially fills. And it does nothing to prevent access by the river bed or river water. And yes it creates opportunity if anyone wants to access the river bed at the nearest bridge and access the new pool to fish, swim, or float a boat in it. Or just to pass through it on the way farther downstream.

Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Smokey Bear] #8899075 08/10/23 11:26 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Bobo,

I have spent a good bit of time around there. We have family out there that own a few hundred acres on the river. I am fairly well informed. I love fishing for Guadalupe bass out of a canoe or kayak with an ultralight in that clear water. My take on public access to public water in Texas is obviously different than yours. (We have had this same discussion about access to public water discussing beaches in the past). Without a public access point above the proposed damn, and private property to the river bank, the landowner in effect takes the stretch of river he owns property along and transforms it to private water. That is what people are up in arms about. I don’t know how much clearer I can make it than that. I personally am against taking any of the public water in Texas away from the citizens. You obviously feel differently. I can agree to disagree with you Bobo. I am all for private landowners rights Bobo and would be considered a stakeholder. A private individual damming a public waterway is bound to create a public uproar though, and it has. Ultimately neither you or me will have a voice in the outcome.

this isnt an access issue, if anything it creates opportunity by creating a pool. regardless this has zero to do with access. .

my best friend has two of these damns in the llano. His ranch has been under same family since 1920. In fact thats how most ranches got their water, they build dams and water wheeled it up to houses. Both his pools hold fish, even now when flow is negligible. In fact because of the many damned pools is why you would be able to take a clear kayak and see fish.

Most of the llano probably wouldn’t be kayak-able with out those dams building pools back behind them most months of the year.

Any way this takes nothing away from the river’s water flow or access

Hope you are right Bobo. I’ve been getting an ear full from my wife’s brother that owns river front property and lives out there. He is pissed as are most. Concern is the Llano is fed by springs that well up and form the north and south Llano. One of the more beautiful rivers in Texas to me.

Ive watched people kayaking/fishing in those two pools on my buddy ranch for 30 years. Even sat in the chute cooling off and handed a few free beers out.

Frio and Pedernales also have small pool dams on them too.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: txtrophy85] #8899092 08/11/23 12:10 AM
Y
Yakblue Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Y
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
If people really wanted to get to the root cause they would rally against all these new subdivisions and water wells being drilled lowering the aquifers. I don’t see anyone up in arms about that.

On a footprint/impact scale what this guy is wanting to do isn’t anywhere remotely close to being in the same league as all these ranchette subdivisions and small acreage developments where everyone has to drill a well. That’s where the water is really going and why these rivers and lakes are not being recharged like they should. You want to point an finger, start there

100% agree. Chances are majority of those ranchettes got pretty green lawns that get fed aquifer water too. Wasteful use of precious resources…

One day, in my lifetime if I had to guess, Texans won’t get to have unrestricted green grass watering, or they may restrict what kind of grass you can plant… Not enough water to support the growing population. Building one small reservoir (bois d’arc) in east Texas ain’t fixing it.

Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Yakblue] #8899197 08/11/23 10:06 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Yakblue
If people really wanted to get to the root cause they would rally against all these new subdivisions and water wells being drilled lowering the aquifers. I don’t see anyone up in arms about that.

On a footprint/impact scale what this guy is wanting to do isn’t anywhere remotely close to being in the same league as all these ranchette subdivisions and small acreage developments where everyone has to drill a well. That’s where the water is really going and why these rivers and lakes are not being recharged like they should. You want to point an finger, start there

100% agree. Chances are majority of those ranchettes got pretty green lawns that get fed aquifer water too. Wasteful use of precious resources…

One day, in my lifetime if I had to guess, Texans won’t get to have unrestricted green grass watering, or they may restrict what kind of grass you can plant… Not enough water to support the growing population. Building one small reservoir (bois d’arc) in east Texas ain’t fixing it.

maybe shouldn't have it now. The Comal is really sucking hind teet right now and the Frio is struggling.

Last edited by Hudbone; 08/11/23 10:07 AM.
Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Hudbone] #8899235 08/11/23 12:42 PM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Hudbone
[quote=txtrophy85]

maybe shouldn't have it now. The Comal is really sucking hind teet right now and the Frio is struggling.

Let's control the influx of people instead of the lawn watering.

There should be an entry tax...be it on realestate purchases or flat out a booth at the state line and border. You want to come in with all your worldly possessions, we need a quarter million for building the reservoirs, water treatment plants, pipelines, power grid, roads, and sewage treatment to support you.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: nak] #8899242 08/11/23 12:50 PM
topwater13 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by nak
[quote=txtrophy85]

There should be an entry tax...be it on realestate purchases or flat out a booth at the state line and border. You want to come in with all your worldly possessions, we need a quarter million for building the reservoirs, water treatment plants, pipelines, power grid, roads, and sewage treatment to support you.

Many cities around the country that don't care to grow already do that. I know a couple that paid $50k for a simple residential city sewer and water tap.

Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Whammer7] #8899270 08/11/23 01:47 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Funny to me so many choosing to move to Leakey/Concan are are doing so because of access to the Frio River. They dang sure ain't up there to enjoy all the cedar. I call that loving something to death.

Last edited by Hudbone; 08/11/23 01:49 PM.
Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Whammer7] #8899282 08/11/23 01:58 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Maybe in all of these new subdivisions the county should require each home to have a significant water catch system to offset tapping into the well water. nidea

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: nak] #8899309 08/11/23 02:45 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by nak
[quote=txtrophy85]

Or better yet, no entry at all. We’ve seen what they have done to their country. Why would we want that here?

Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Whammer7] #8899329 08/11/23 03:12 PM
B
batman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Doesn’t lawn watering just put the water back into the ecosystem? I do understood that too much water usage at one time draws down the supply. And, no I don’t have a lush, heavily watered lawn.

Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Whammer7] #8899436 08/11/23 05:58 PM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Why worry about what you can't control, rich people have always had special rights in this country and I'm thinking they always will be privileged...it is much like the American Justice System, you get the justice you can afford.

Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Whammer7] #8899569 08/11/23 09:41 PM
G
Grit Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
Not trying to derail the thread, but if a dry creek runs through the middle of your property, who's is it?

Garrett
Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Grit] #8899572 08/11/23 09:45 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Grit
Not trying to derail the thread, but if a dry creek runs through the middle of your property, who's is it?

Oh, it's all mine. 'Don't you worry 'bout 'dat!

Come take a look. We can chop sum cedar together!

Last edited by Creekrunner; 08/11/23 09:46 PM.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Creekrunner] #8899582 08/11/23 09:57 PM
G
Grit Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Grit

Oh, it's all mine. 'Don't you worry 'bout 'dat!

Come take a look. We can chop sum cedar together!

I had some neighbors helping themselves to a tree that had fallen near the road, but was clearly still on my property. But the city said they could have it, lol. I corrected them!

Garrett
Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Yakblue] #8899617 08/11/23 11:07 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

And every time they build another lake, they take thousands of acres of private property from rural landowners, so city folks can can get on THF and brag about how many thousands of gallons of water they use each month…

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: batman] #8899840 08/12/23 12:38 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by batman
Doesn’t lawn watering just put the water back into the ecosystem? I do understood that too much water usage at one time draws down the supply. And, no I don’t have a lush, heavily watered lawn.

Putting water in the air when temps are at a hundred is extremely inefficent if the eco system portiion you are referring to is "back in the ground". If "up in the atmosphere", okay.

Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Whammer7] #8904294 08/19/23 08:39 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
'Saw a picture of the guy in the Junction paper, sitting at the table on stage at the Rocksprings meeting. Certainly not "ancient" by today's standards, but definitely in his 70s. 'Just don't understand why a man that age would want this much aggravation in his life, no matter his station in life. I'm a huge fan of simplicity.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Creekrunner] #8904298 08/19/23 08:46 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
The older and dumber I get..........the more I just like to fight the man

Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Whammer7] #8904402 08/19/23 11:53 PM
C
Couzin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
The owner will have to apply for a Section 404 permit from USACE. Since it is a river, and recreation and not livestock, seriously doubt a permit would be granted.

Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.
Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Creekrunner] #8904904 08/20/23 08:17 PM
glens Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Pedestrian navigable. You can walk most of it without getting your knees wet.

Yep and right now wouldn't even get your boots wet. 0 CFS Flow in the Llano River in places. The Slab here in Kingsland where the Llano River crosses the concrete bridge into Lake LBJ has been dry for a couple weeks. No flow.

Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Whammer7] #8934981 10/13/23 05:06 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Seems someone else had a similar idea, just went for it without asking anyone for permission.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/ill...ing-water-from-refilling-highland-lakes/

Last edited by krmitchell; 10/13/23 05:06 PM.
Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: Whammer7] #8943433 10/25/23 07:05 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Looks like the request has been withdrawn.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Houston oil executive wants to build private dam for recreation on South Llano River [Re: krmitchell] #8943492 10/25/23 08:43 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by krmitchell
Seems someone else had a similar idea, just went for it without asking anyone for permission.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/ill...ing-water-from-refilling-highland-lakes/

That landowner got his cease and desist and order to remove the dam and restore the river bed and bank.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide