Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer #8888496 07/25/23 01:08 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Who uses one? I want a single hose and will use one of the existing wall vents for the exhaust. That will leave one other 3.5" Ø vent open. The trailer is 7' x 8' x 16' with about a 2' v nose front. I'm concerned that there won't be enough air to pull in, causing it to just suck all the cool air out. Maybe that's not a problem, other than it running continuously. I only need it to run at night for sleep, like 7 hours max.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 07/25/23 01:14 PM.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8888503 07/25/23 01:38 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Only experience I have is with the one in selling in the classifieds. Bought it when our home AC went out two weeks back, cooled our bedroom fine. I’d keep the second vent closed, vent the hot air out the other vent and it should cool it off fine.

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8888519 07/25/23 02:15 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I'd be interested in yours if you were close. Thanks for the info. My trailer seals up pretty tight, just don't know if there is enough room air.

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8888525 07/25/23 02:24 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Who uses one? I want a single hose and will use one of the existing wall vents for the exhaust. That will leave one other 3.5" Ø vent open. The trailer is 7' x 8' x 16' with about a 2' v nose front. I'm concerned that there won't be enough air to pull in, causing it to just suck all the cool air out. Maybe that's not a problem, other than it running continuously. I only need it to run at night for sleep, like 7 hours max.

It won't suck 'all' the cold air out, just about 1/3 of it (which is why single-hose portables are 'oversize' - you pay for 10,000 btu (compressor/electricity) but only get 6400 btu of cooling.
Terrible for 'efficiency', but if costs don't matter then a single-hose 'will do'.
If you get a 'small' one you may need to turn it on a few hours before going into it to cool trailer down if it's been sitting in the hot sun all day.

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: oldoak2000] #8888528 07/25/23 02:33 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by oldoak2000

It won't suck 'all' the cold air out, just about 1/3 of it (which is why single-hose portables are 'oversize' - you pay for 10,000 btu (compressor/electricity) but only get 6400 btu of cooling.
Terrible for 'efficiency', but if costs don't matter then a single-hose 'will do'.
If you get a 'small' one you may need to turn it on a few hours before going into it to cool trailer down if it's been sitting in the hot sun all day.

Good to know, thanks.

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8889158 07/26/23 02:47 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker

I have a trailer like yours. How are you adapting the hose to the vent? I was thinking about somehow rigging the vent out the window.

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: oldoak2000] #8889177 07/26/23 03:17 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
[quote=oldoak2000]Terrible for 'efficiency'[quote]
This describes all those portables but the 2 hose is better than one. Your trying to cool a room and you have the condenser (hot) inside with you. Put the RV style on top and don't look back. If you don't want that (240V), a window unit is the next best option. The portables are the least efficient of all.

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: oldoak2000] #8889180 07/26/23 03:18 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Terrible for 'efficiency'

This describes all those portables but the 2 hose is better than one. Your trying to cool a room and you have the condenser (hot) inside with you. Put the RV style on top and don't look back. If you don't want that (240V), a window unit is the next best option. The portables are the least efficient of all.
Edit: looks like you can get the RV style in 120V too.

Last edited by garyrapp55; 07/26/23 03:20 PM.
Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: Sidebuster] #8889182 07/26/23 03:21 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Sidebuster

I have a trailer like yours. How are you adapting the hose to the vent? I was thinking about somehow rigging the vent out the window.

I don't have a window. If I did, I'd go with a window unit once I got it on site and remove it when I was on the road. Mine will sit at the lease a few months at a time so I would make the window unit somewhat temporary. Also, I want nothing on the roof, I don't even have a roof vent.

My trailer has 2 vents, one at the front high on the wall near the ceiling and one low at the rear near the floor. They are about 3" Ø. On the outside there is a rectangular vent cover about 4" x 6". This is about the size of the exhaust hose vent. I would cut the 3" Ø on the inside to accomodate the vent. I would remove the vent cover on the outside and replace with an open, metal grate. I would keep the original exterior grate so if I ever sold the trailer I could put it back in place.

I'm still on the fence if I want to go to the trouble of an AC at all, since I'd only need it a few nights per year. A cheap motel may be the best option a couple of night per year.

In your case, I'd cut a piece of exterior siding to fit in your window opening, and a hole for the vent, screw the vent mount to the wood. I have all the tools to do just about anything. Holler if you need a hand.

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: garyrapp55] #8889188 07/26/23 03:27 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Terrible for 'efficiency'

Edit: looks like you can get the RV style in 120V too.

As it relates to electricity usage, or it's ability to cool?

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8889189 07/26/23 03:30 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Ability to cool, which becomes both really. If your debating doing AC at all, look on McMaster Carr for fans that fit the vents you have with the highest CFM. One blowing in and the other out. Of course, 95 coming in is still unbearable, to me.

Last edited by garyrapp55; 07/26/23 03:33 PM.
Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8889191 07/26/23 03:32 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
How do these things cool small bedrooms? I'm still undecided on the whole AC idea.

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8889195 07/26/23 03:46 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
How do these things cool small bedrooms? I'm still undecided on the whole AC idea.

Works fine for a small space like a bedroom or camper. Just need to vent out the window

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8889218 07/26/23 04:28 PM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
My experience. If the cold air is hitting you in the face you will be happy. My expectations, a single hose unit will be very ineffective in dropping the temp in trailer. Single hose units are basically an exhaust fan. Every cubic foot of air out the discharge tube will be replaced by out door air.

If your best option is a portable unit, consider a two tube system. Perhaps you could cut a hole in floor for intake air and use your plan for exaust air.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8889892 07/27/23 02:07 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Sidebuster

I don't have a window. If I did, I'd go with a window unit once I got it on site and remove it when I was on the road. Mine will sit at the lease a few months at a time so I would make the window unit somewhat temporary. Also, I want nothing on the roof, I don't even have a roof vent.

My trailer has 2 vents, one at the front high on the wall near the ceiling and one low at the rear near the floor. They are about 3" Ø. On the outside there is a rectangular vent cover about 4" x 6". This is about the size of the exhaust hose vent. I would cut the 3" Ø on the inside to accomodate the vent. I would remove the vent cover on the outside and replace with an open, metal grate. I would keep the original exterior grate so if I ever sold the trailer I could put it back in place.

I'm still on the fence if I want to go to the trouble of an AC at all, since I'd only need it a few nights per year. A cheap motel may be the best option a couple of night per year.

In your case, I'd cut a piece of exterior siding to fit in your window opening, and a hole for the vent, screw the vent mount to the wood. I have all the tools to do just about anything. Holler if you need a hand.

Thanks for the info

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8891780 07/30/23 12:31 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Thinking about an Icy Breeze, may be the solution to venting. Anyone use this?

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8891817 07/30/23 01:54 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Do you not have electricity (110v) at your campsite?

A $300 'Icy Breeze' might work if you're camping in the parking lot of Bucee's and don't mind waking up every hour to buy another 12 bags of ice ** to keep cool! grin

** 12 10# bags of ice ~ 4800 btu's, per hour, equivalent to smallest 5000 btu window/portable AC

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8891849 07/30/23 02:41 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

I made my own for camping, it works ok. Better than just a fan for sure, but certainly not AC.

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: oldoak2000] #8891884 07/30/23 04:22 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Do you not have electricity (110v) at your campsite?

A $300 'Icy Breeze' might work if you're camping in the parking lot of Bucee's and don't mind waking up every hour to buy another 12 bags of ice ** to keep cool! grin

** 12 10# bags of ice ~ 4800 btu's, per hour, equivalent to smallest 5000 btu window/portable AC

We have electricity for another year then moving to a new lease without. This will run on a rechargeable battery option. I'm hearing 30 lbs of ice ($6.00) will blow very cold air right on me for 6-7 hours which is all I need. No problem for me to have enough ice on hand for two nights sleep.

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: garyrapp55] #8891885 07/30/23 04:25 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

I made my own for camping, it works ok. Better than just a fan for sure, but certainly not AC.

Icy breeze has a brass heat exchanger/coil and pump that moves the ice water across it. Did you build yours this way, or are you just blowing air across the ice?

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8891942 07/30/23 05:53 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Icy breeze has a brass heat exchanger/coil and pump that moves the ice water across it. Did you build yours this way, or are you just blowing air across the ice?

No sir, no pump and coils for me. Various size jugs/bottles frozen solid. I pack ice this way in every little corner possible. One fan blows inward, the second fan is outward. It lasts much longer than an hour. Obviously the smaller the space the better. An entire cargo trailer may be a bit to much. If you decide against an AC, maybe use a tarp or shower curtain to seal yourself off in the smallest space possible, where you sleep. Why are you against an RV AC on top? There is no substitute for AC.

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8891958 07/30/23 06:19 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
We have electricity for another year then moving to a new lease without. This will run on a rechargeable battery option. I'm hearing 30 lbs of ice ($6.00) will blow very cold air right on me for 6-7 hours which is all I need. No problem for me to have enough ice on hand for two nights sleep.

30# of ice is about 1200 btu's of cooling - equivalent to running a small window ac for about 15 minutes.
How well insulated is the cargo trailer?, and how well shaded (from direct sun), and what kind of outside temps for time of year you planning on?

p.s., don't let the 'efficiently' issue with a portable (1-hosed) ac dissuade you;
if you have power available even the smallest portable 110v AC will give you at least 5000 btu's of cooling PER HOUR (equal to 120#'s of ice/per hour!) without having to cut any holes.

You can always get a generator next year when power isn't available.

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: garyrapp55] #8891962 07/30/23 06:28 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

No sir, no pump and coils for me. Various size jugs/bottles frozen solid. I pack ice this way in every little corner possible. One fan blows inward, the second fan is outward. It lasts much longer than an hour. Obviously the smaller the space the better. An entire cargo trailer may be a bit to much. If you decide against an AC, maybe use a tarp or shower curtain to seal yourself off in the smallest space possible, where you sleep. Why are you against an RV AC on top? There is no substitute for AC.

Cost and potential roof leaks. Also, only need a couple of nights per year of AC.

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: oldoak2000] #8891963 07/30/23 06:29 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

30# of ice is about 1200 btu's of cooling - equivalent to running a small window ac for about 15 minutes.
How well insulated is the cargo trailer?, and how well shaded (from direct sun), and what kind of outside temps for time of year you planning on?

p.s., don't let the 'efficiently' issue with a portable (1-hosed) ac dissuade you;
if you have power available even the smallest portable 110v AC will give you at least 5000 btu's of cooling PER HOUR (equal to 120#'s of ice/per hour!) without having to cut any holes.

You can always get a generator next year when power isn't available.

Yup

Re: Portable Room AC in Cargo Trailer [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8900787 08/14/23 12:51 PM
T
TxYoteHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I had this system installed in my 7x12 trailer. Run it off my generator. 18,000 btu split system. Works great. I can pull my 4 wheeler out, set up my cot and not worry about the heat, cold or rain. I’ll still be using my 12 x 12 Kodiak tent with wood burning stove but having a back up plan is nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide