Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: XIT Ranch [Re: Dave Scott] #8716452 10/24/22 01:49 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
Back to the profit, I have read of a few ranches getting top dollar for champion breeding stock, I wonder if that works. You can understand why folks switched to crops if they can grow crops. The King ranch, I took the buggy ride tour a few years ago, it was impressive but the same thing kept hitting me, how do they actually make any money? I can see why folks got into exotics, etc.

The last time Texas Monthly had an article about the King, they said income was #1 hunting, and then cattle and horses traded #2 place year to year.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: XIT Ranch [Re: J.G.] #8716457 10/24/22 01:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
Back to the profit, I have read of a few ranches getting top dollar for champion breeding stock, I wonder if that works. You can understand why folks switched to crops if they can grow crops. The King ranch, I took the buggy ride tour a few years ago, it was impressive but the same thing kept hitting me, how do they actually make any money? I can see why folks got into exotics, etc.

The last time Texas Monthly had an article about the King, they said income was #1 hunting, and then cattle and horses traded #2 place year to year.

Don’t forget sub surface minerals. There is lot of petro production on that ranch, some crazy dangerous sour wells too. The quail rights on that ranch alone is crazy money. King Ranch, Inc. is pretty diverse as it also owns 12,500 acres of sugar cane production as part of its holdings in South Florida. Also it licensing royalties is pretty nice as well.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: XIT Ranch [Re: Dave Scott] #8716536 10/24/22 03:26 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
I just finished the book on the XIT written by Haley. Really worthwhile book, enjoyed it a lot. I was always sort of mixed on the cattle country switching to crops like cotton, etc. The book changed my feelings and sort of gave me closure. I didn't realize that a fair amount of the first ranchers actually looked forward to the time when there would be enough water for trees, crops, etc.

Re: XIT Ranch [Re: cantcatch5] #8716638 10/24/22 04:43 PM
C
coachwhite34 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted by cantcatch5
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Been there several times shooting Prairie dogs. Go to Dumas and go through the XIT museum. A VERY great history which most people won't believe. They think the King Ranch is the biggest ranch in Texas... NOT.

The XIT museum is in Dalhart. The rodeo and reunion used to be a wild time. They would have some great country music performers at the dance and had a massive free BBQ. They also handed out an insane number of DUI’s…it was a dangerous place for a few days.

I grew up in a little town between Dumas and Dalhart…most people don’t even notice there is a town there.

Hartley or Cactus?

Re: XIT Ranch [Re: coachwhite34] #8716689 10/24/22 05:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by coachwhite34
Been there several times shooting Prairie dogs. Go to Dumas and go through the XIT museum. A VERY great history which most people won't believe. They think the King Ranch is the biggest ranch in Texas... NOT.

The XIT museum is in Dalhart. The rodeo and reunion used to be a wild time. They would have some great country music performers at the dance and had a massive free BBQ. They also handed out an insane number of DUI’s…it was a dangerous place for a few days.

I grew up in a little town between Dumas and Dalhart…most people don’t even notice there is a town there.

Hartley or Cactus?

You damn sure will know Cactus if you aren’t paying attention to speed limit
roflmao

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: XIT Ranch [Re: coachwhite34] #8899828 08/12/23 12:09 PM
C
cantcatch5 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted by coachwhite34

Hartley or Cactus?

I grew up in Hartley.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide