W
whitewing maniac Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Was a pretty good brisket, with the exception of bark not forming well in the center section. May try foil boat on next one instead of peach paper.

Re: Sunday Brisket [Re: whitewing maniac] #8896948 08/07/23 04:27 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Cooked fat side down?

Re: Sunday Brisket [Re: 68rustbucket] #8897028 08/07/23 06:38 PM
W
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Cooked fat side down?

Yes. Was done on a kamado joe pit, so I put fat cap towards heat source. Think the ceramic pits retain a lot of moisture in cooking chamber, so it seems to take a lot longer to get bark set right. Could of just let it ride to finish unwrapped, but hind sight ya know. Plus I injected with wagyu tallow.

Re: Sunday Brisket [Re: whitewing maniac] #8897057 08/07/23 07:24 PM
1955 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Looks tasty ! up

Re: Sunday Brisket [Re: whitewing maniac] #8897406 08/08/23 10:39 AM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by whitewing maniac
Cooked fat side down?

Yes. Was done on a kamado joe pit, so I put fat cap towards heat source. Think the ceramic pits retain a lot of moisture in cooking chamber, so it seems to take a lot longer to get bark set right. Could of just let it ride to finish unwrapped, but hind sight ya know. Plus I injected with wagyu tallow.

Really nice looking smoke ring. The air flow in your Kamado may have been the cause for the bark in the middle of the brisket being different for the ends confused2 . Either way it probably tasted great.

I started to use some wagyu tallow on a brisket I did a few weeks back, but didn`t think the juice would be worth the squeeze for what it cost. I did render the fat from my brisket on my offset and pour some of it on my chopped brisket I made out of the flat that was left over. Definitely enhanced the flavor and the tallow was free. A win win for me. I also poured some over the brisket before I wrapped it and rested in my ice chest for 4 hours.

up

Re: Sunday Brisket [Re: TPACK] #8897455 08/08/23 12:50 PM
W
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by TPACK
Cooked fat side down?

Really nice looking smoke ring. The air flow in your Kamado may have been the cause for the bark in the middle of the brisket being different for the ends confused2 . Either way it probably tasted great.

I started to use some wagyu tallow on a brisket I did a few weeks back, but didn`t think the juice would be worth the squeeze for what it cost. I did render the fat from my brisket on my offset and pour some of it on my chopped brisket I made out of the flat that was left over. Definitely enhanced the flavor and the tallow was free. A win win for me. I also poured some over the brisket before I wrapped it and rested in my ice chest for 4 hours.

up

Yea, that stuff ain't cheap, $30 for that can. I bought a different kind of tallow at academy, texture was completely different. I can definitely taste and feel the difference between the wagyu beef tallow as opposed to what I render from my trimmings.

Re: Sunday Brisket [Re: whitewing maniac] #8897512 08/08/23 01:57 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
cheers

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Sunday Brisket [Re: whitewing maniac] #8897552 08/08/23 02:59 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T

Yea, that stuff ain't cheap, $30 for that can. I bought a different kind of tallow at academy, texture was completely different. I can definitely taste and feel the difference between the wagyu beef tallow as opposed to what I render from my trimmings.

Which tasted better to you and was the Wagyu worth the extra $$$? The tallow from my brisket is free, so I`d have to really tell a big difference to shell out the 30 bucks for Wagyu. But I`m a tight a$$.

Re: Sunday Brisket [Re: TPACK] #8897589 08/08/23 03:45 PM
W
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by TPACK

Which tasted better to you and was the Wagyu worth the extra $$$? The tallow from my brisket is free, so I`d have to really tell a big difference to shell out the 30 bucks for Wagyu. But I`m a tight a$$.

It's just a smoother texture feeling in the mouth. I also put a big drip pan under the brisket and strain all the rendered fat and juices from brisket to strain and use to put back in other briskets in the future. Of course it's not going to 100% wagyu anymore, but I guess in my way of thinking I'm getting more out of it, or trying to. I've only bought 1 can, and I've done at least 6 briskets so far, and probably have enough for maybe 3 or 4. All the other tallow from my trimmings, and what's rendered in my drip pan goes in a separate container. When I got the wagyu, I put it all in an aluminum pan and smoked it for a few hours, then put it back in container. I think it's better than the rendered tallow that comes from my trimmings for sure, in my opinion anyway.

Re: Sunday Brisket [Re: whitewing maniac] #8897591 08/08/23 03:48 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
The Wagyu tallow definitely has a richer flavor in my opinion over traditional tallow. I cooked 2 briskets over the weekend and used the Wagyu on one and rendered brisket fat for the other and everyone said they could taste the difference. I’m going to mix some 50/50 on the next brisket and see how that works out.

Ive watched more than a few competitive cookers using it over the last month so a lot of people believe in it.

Re: Sunday Brisket [Re: Ol Thumper] #8897609 08/08/23 04:16 PM
W
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
The Wagyu tallow definitely has a richer flavor in my opinion over traditional tallow. I cooked 2 briskets over the weekend and used the Wagyu on one and rendered brisket fat for the other and everyone said they could taste the difference. I’m going to mix some 50/50 on the next brisket and see how that works out.

Ive watched more than a few competitive cookers using it over the last month so a lot of people believe in it.

The tallow thing seems to exploded in the past few years. See all these YouTube cookers trying to figure out what Aaron Franklin does to his briskets to be so awsome. I've never been to Franklin BBQ, but his briskets must be the pinnacle of Texas Q.

Re: Sunday Brisket [Re: whitewing maniac] #8897619 08/08/23 04:31 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Franklins briskets are next level but several BBQ places have caught up if not past them. I think Goldee’s brisket is slightly better myself but it comes down to personal preference. I’m wanting to get involved in a few competitions next year so I’ve been trying all the high end places I can and trying new methods/recipes. I can’t tell you how to cook an award winning anything but I can most certainly tell you how not to do it roflmao

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide