Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: J.G.] #8895380 08/04/23 03:18 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I don't know of a poison that you can use to kill them, but I do know that they usually congregate in the low lying areas. Could you bring in fill dirt to eliminate the low lying area? Thereby eliminating the habitat for the crawfish?

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: pdr55] #8895381 08/04/23 03:18 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by pdr55
Are you sure it’s crawfish and not gopher mounds ?
I’ve never seen a crawfish chimney big enough to affect hay equipment.
Maybe drop your tractor tire pressures for a smoother ride.

It's crawfish had the same problem when we lived in Gunter. High water table in that area and there everywhere.

Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: J.G.] #8895435 08/04/23 04:31 PM
P
pdr55 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
A quick google search showed this, maybe pool shock would work.
[Linked Image]

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: J.G.] #8895452 08/04/23 04:55 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by BigPig
Do you have a ground rake for the tractor? I would think that would be easier than having to plow

That's what I was thinking as well. A landscape rake should take down Crawfish Mounds/Castles easy enough. But is a temporary solution.

Getting rid the Crawfish still needs to be the goal. Lye IS the best answer there. Labor intensive...but effective.

[Linked Image]

Why would I drag that little thing over 30 acres?

Time and diesel is money.

It's too rough for that. And I have a 20' wide tandem disc.

Well.....you didn't mention that you had THIRTY damn acres of Crawfish!

Sounds like you need to build a berm around it, flood it and raise crawfish instead. How do you plan to poison 30 acres of them? Not a logical solution.

So yes.....back to conditioning the land. You could lightly disc it....but you'll damage the grass. I suppose a picture of the terrain and the crawfish mounds would be helpful.

Last edited by flintknapper; 08/04/23 04:56 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: J.G.] #8895460 08/04/23 05:05 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Jason, I'd call your local AG agent, they likely have dealt with this before, may possibly get some info from your local bulk fert store as well. Area that large, you want to get it right the first time and be done.

Some kind of liquid may work best broadcast over the field, or a dry mix, I sure wouldn't be discing, or plowing in this dry weather here, unless you have a good chance of rain shortly thereafter.

I used to str8 disc my fields with the 24' tandem about every other spring in tif 85, usually after the 1st cutting, sure helps thicken bermuda as long as it got rain over new fertilizer.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: Smokey Bear] #8895465 08/04/23 05:09 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
JG, you need to make a drag to knock down the crawfish mounds. If you disk your Bermuda, weeds will take hold in the bare dirt. With multiple cuttings the Bermuda would eventually choke the weeds back out. Until that happens the quality of your hay and the per acre production will be diminished.

^^^^^^

This....guaranteed!

Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: flintknapper] #8895513 08/04/23 06:12 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
I imagine lye is the only thing that will work.............and I would think timing is everything as they get ready to mate.

Are the holes closed up right now because of the dry and heat?

But GD...........trying to treat 30 acres at one time is gonna be about impossible

Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: unclebubba] #8895517 08/04/23 06:20 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba
I don't know of a poison that you can use to kill them, but I do know that they usually congregate in the low lying areas. Could you bring in fill dirt to eliminate the low lying area? Thereby eliminating the habitat for the crawfish?

They are everywhere. Low ground and high ground.

August 15 2022 to today, I've got 46" of rain. And that is fairly normal.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: Western] #8895520 08/04/23 06:24 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Western
Jason, I'd call your local AG agent, they likely have dealt with this before, may possibly get some info from your local bulk fert store as well. Area that large, you want to get it right the first time and be done.

Some kind of liquid may work best broadcast over the field, or a dry mix, I sure wouldn't be discing, or plowing in this dry weather here, unless you have a good chance of rain shortly thereafter.

I used to str8 disc my fields with the 24' tandem about every other spring in tif 85, usually after the 1st cutting, sure helps thicken bermuda as long as it got rain over new fertilizer.

I'm waiting on a call back from Elorado Chemical out of Whitewright. And I'm going to contact the county extension agent.

I failed to mention plowing after the second hay cutting. Keeping dry ground in fall or winter is extremely rare. Soil analysis is going to be sent off next week and see what some pastures need. Once I know that, plow, fertilize, harrow. But if I don't get rid of these crawfish, I'll be in this exact scenario all over again in a few years. 15 of these acres, I've plowed/ harrowed twice in the last 10 years. You'd never know it, driving across it now, it's so damn rough.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: J.G.] #8895521 08/04/23 06:25 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
And also the problem is you cant control the neighbors land..............Crawdads crawl out of that hole at night and go visit the females and then there are thousands of new eggs.........

Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: flintknapper] #8895522 08/04/23 06:25 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
JG, you need to make a drag to knock down the crawfish mounds. If you disk your Bermuda, weeds will take hold in the bare dirt. With multiple cuttings the Bermuda would eventually choke the weeds back out. Until that happens the quality of your hay and the per acre production will be diminished.

^^^^^^

This....guaranteed!

Again.

Spray Grazon.

Then shred it for a while.

I've done it before.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: fadetoblack64] #8895523 08/04/23 06:26 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by fadetoblack64
And also the problem is you cant control the neighbors land..............Crawdads crawl out of that hole at night and go visit the females and then there are thousands of new eggs.........

Neighbor land is in cultivation. Got corn on it right now.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: J.G.] #8895537 08/04/23 06:44 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

^^^^^^

This....guaranteed!

Again.

Spray Grazon.

I've done it before.

I get it. But why?

A lot of hay production in my area and I don't know of anyone that will 'disc' it unless it is to repair Hog Damaged areas. Disturbed, bare soil will always foster weed growth....that has to be dealt with.

But a better understanding of what you are dealing with might be had with pics.

Hope you find a reasonable solution. I fully understand trying to work 'rough' pastures/hay meadows. But mine are from hogs rooting in them.

I have Crawfish 'mounds' in some areas as well but nothing serious.

Last edited by flintknapper; 08/04/23 06:45 PM.

Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: J.G.] #8895582 08/04/23 07:43 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I am a fifth generation Ag guy. After you disc it, you are still going to need to drag it. Drag it and be done. With your grass intact.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 08/04/23 07:45 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: flintknapper] #8895597 08/04/23 08:15 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity

^^^^^^

This....guaranteed!

Again.

Spray Grazon.

I've done it before.

I get it. But why?

A lot of hay production in my area and I don't know of anyone that will 'disc' it unless it is to repair Hog Damaged areas. Disturbed, bare soil will always foster weed growth....that has to be dealt with.

But a better understanding of what you are dealing with might be had with pics.

Hope you find a reasonable solution. I fully understand trying to work 'rough' pastures/hay meadows. But mine are from hogs rooting in them.

I have Crawfish 'mounds' in some areas as well but nothing serious.

I've already explained why.

Deep east Texas is also probably not Black Land is it?

There's a hay production guru at Eldorado Chemical in Whitewright, TX. He told me he will plow his hay pastures about every 3 to 4 years.

I have not asked a single hay production question. I have asked about crawfish eradication. Zero help so far. And I am not surprised.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: Smokey Bear] #8895599 08/04/23 08:18 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I am a fifth generation Ag guy. After you disc it, you are still going to need to drag it. Drag it and be done. With your grass intact.

I don't care what generation you are.

I've got plenty of acres that were plowed deep with a disc 10 years ago. Then fertilized, the field cultivator, then harrow.

It's some of the best producing land I have. And I did not buy a single seed.

I have not asked a single hay production question. I have asked about crawfish eradication. Zero help so far. And I am not surprised.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: J.G.] #8895600 08/04/23 08:20 PM
G
Grit Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
I'm confused. I thought crawfish were, well, fish. How can they be in a pasture?

Garrett
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: Grit] #8895607 08/04/23 08:26 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Grit
I'm confused. I thought crawfish were, well, fish. How can they be in a pasture?

I was ignorant to that last year. We bought some more land at work in Longview and it had those little mounds. I asked a co worker WTF are these? And he looked at me like I had two heads. The little critters would be out of luck here, its so hard the hogs cant even root around. As for getting rid of them, sorry, I cant add anything useful.

Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: LonestarCobra] #8895612 08/04/23 08:40 PM
G
Grit Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
Originally Posted by Grit

I was ignorant to that last year. We bought some more land at work in Longview and it had those little mounds. I asked a co worker WTF are these? And he looked at me like I had two heads. The little critters would be out of luck here, its so hard the hogs cant even root around. As for getting rid of them, sorry, I cant add anything useful.

I always thought the sand mounds I had were pocket gophers. I got one with my mower when he popped his little head out at the wrong time. Turned him into mini fur coat.

Garrett
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: J.G.] #8895618 08/04/23 08:45 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I've got plenty of acres that were plowed deep with a disc 10 years ago. Then fertilized, the field cultivator, then harrow.

Ok smart guy. Put a couple ounces of lye down each hole, like you have already been told. It will kill the crawfish. Then spend the time and money to make as many passes as you want to make. Your hay patch and your money. If you are lucky by this time next year you will have your grass back to where it is now. Had I known you were going to be a horses [censored] I would not have wasted my time replying.

Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: Smokey Bear] #8895624 08/04/23 08:51 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity

Ok smart guy. Put a couple ounces of lye down each hole, like you have already been told. It will kill the crawfish. Then spend the time and money to make as many passes as you want to make. Your hay patch and your money. If you are lucky by this time next year you will have your grass back to where it is now. Had I known you were going to be a horses [censored] I would not have wasted my time replying.

I'm not walking hole to hole. That would be like mowing two acres with a weed eater. Not efficient at all. I need something to broadcast or spray. I will have grass back. This ain't my first rodeo either.

Not difficult to be a horse's [censored] when your not paying attention and handing out bad advice. I too would have rather you did not spend any time replying. You're wasting internet space.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: J.G.] #8895627 08/04/23 08:57 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Let's see a pic of these crawdad mounds that are making a pasture unbearably rough....maybe that will help.

Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: J.G.] #8895638 08/04/23 09:15 PM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
[Linked Image]

This has worked in the past for me

Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: J.G.] #8895668 08/04/23 09:43 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I'm not walking hole to hole. That would be like mowing two acres with a weed eater. Not efficient at all. I need something to broadcast or spray. I will have grass back. This ain't my first rodeo either.

Not difficult to be a horse's [censored] when your not paying attention and handing out bad advice. I too would have rather you did not spend any time replying. You're wasting internet space.

Obviously is if you don’t know how to deal with crawfish in a hay field. If in fact you have black land it is a shrink swell soil. It is self aerating. In the summer when it dries out and cracks open it aerates itself. Then when it gets wet it swells up like bred dough and closes back up. The drier it gets the more the crawfish mounds grow as they follow the water table down. Broadcast whatever you want to. Until you get what you put out down where they are though, you are pissing in the wind. Hire a high school kid from a good family and he will treat them all in a day or two. However you treat them they will come back. Eventually you will be dragging the hay field to knock them down like every one else does or working on your cutter from running the blades in the dirt. That is from a man that tends to 120,000 acres. So no, I am not wasting band width.

Re: I need a poison for Crawfish. [Re: J.G.] #8895692 08/04/23 10:18 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

I'm not walking hole to hole. That would be like mowing two acres with a weed eater. Not efficient at all. I need something to broadcast or spray.

There is ZERO products labeled for control of crawfish.
Lye is the one thing that does work!
Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide