Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
401K contributions #8892292 07/31/23 08:59 AM
Chickenman Offline OP
Extremely Right Wing
OP Offline
Extremely Right Wing
I now contribute 5%. Employer 4%.

Hope to be in a position to contribute 10% within 5 years but with inflation, bills are high.

A guy I work with contributes 18% and will max out for the year around August/September. cyclo Another couple of guys max out around November.

What are yall contributing?

Would yall move large sums to your IRA which is performing better?

[Linked Image]
Re: 401K contributions [Re: Chickenman] #8892295 07/31/23 09:51 AM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Max out your 401k (e.g., 18, 20 %) and forget about it. Live within that budget. Tithe first as well and forget about it...live within that budget. 20 years go by and you'll be so thankful and blessed that you did. Find ways to do without the spend that's not allowing you to contribute more.

The way I did it was to eliminate as many bills as possible. My wife and I drove old cash cars and I worked on them worked on the house....did everything myself all those years (still do both). Sold and or put on hold any of my toys and expensive hobbies. While everyone around me had new stuff...new cars, fancy vacations, etc. I also prioritized putting money away for my kids future college funds. I had a side hobby that I used to supplement my income a little bit. I threw all that money on the mortgage payment.

Also the last thing that can put you over the top is by combining incomes and having the thrifty future-minded spouse managing it. The household financial shovel is bigger and you can do so much more damage against debt and help grow wealth that way versus two people fighting for their own earnings and piece of the pie and spending it their own way.

Takes a special wife to understand this. And a grown up man ready to put himself last. Good luck man!

Last edited by 71Rcode; 07/31/23 09:53 AM.

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: 401K contributions [Re: 71Rcode] #8892296 07/31/23 09:56 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by 71Rcode
Max out your 401k (e.g., 18, 20 %) and forget about it. Live within that budget. Tithe first as well and forget about it...live within that budget. 20 years go by and you'll be so thankful and blessed that you did. Find ways to do without the spend that's not allowing you to contribute more.

The way I did it was to eliminate as many bills as possible. My wife and I drove old cash cars and I worked on them worked on the house....did everything myself all those years (still do both). Sold and or put on hold any of my toys and expensive hobbies. While everyone around me had new stuff...new cars, fancy vacations, etc. I also prioritized putting money away for my kids future college funds. I had a side hobby that I used to supplement my income a little bit. I threw all that money on the mortgage payment.

Also the last thing that can put you over the top is by combining incomes and having the thrifty future-minded pespouse managing it. The household financial shovel is bigger and you can do so much more damage against debt and help grow wealth that way versus two people fighting for their own earnings and piece of the pie and spending it their own way.

Takes a special wife to understand this. And a grown up man ready to put himself last. Good luck man!

Sounds like you sacarificed a lot to have money when your older, just sounds like a miserable way to live.

I am more into live now while your younger and can travel

I would never put my hobbies and "fancy" vacations on hold and drive old cash cars, Screw that no need to live like a pauper, life is too short.

Re: 401K contributions [Re: Chickenman] #8892306 07/31/23 10:55 AM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
As soon as my divorce was final I contributed max. When I was married I contributed max to get company matching which was 6%.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: 401K contributions [Re: 71Rcode] #8892307 07/31/23 10:58 AM
B
bucksnbass357 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Also the last thing that can put you over the top is by combining incomes and having the thrifty future-minded spouse managing it. The household financial shovel is bigger and you can do so much more damage against debt and help grow wealth that way versus two people fighting for their own earnings and piece of the pie and spending it their own way.

Very wise words Sir. We appear to have a lot in common.
salute

Re: 401K contributions [Re: 71Rcode] #8892311 07/31/23 11:19 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

About the most surefire way for a "working stiff" to eventually become a millionaire....

Re: 401K contributions [Re: Chickenman] #8892313 07/31/23 11:26 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I’m maxed out. Honestly have no idea what that is, it’s been that way for 17 years. I was lucky to have the ability to jump extra jobs to make up for the difference

Last edited by BigPig; 07/31/23 11:28 AM.
Re: 401K contributions [Re: Chickenman] #8892321 07/31/23 11:57 AM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Red, you're a good man and I've agreed with many of your posts. My last 25 years of practicing what I outlined above has been fulfilling and humbling. I'm a blessed man and have never been truly hungry or lived without...thank you Lord. Now in my mid 50s I'm picking back up my hobbies and traveling a bit more...but our heads are still down working and investing. Newest vehicle in the garage is 10 years old. Man... I love beating the system.

To me --- fancy = new truck or BMW, family to Hawaii or Disney, kids attending private or out of state college, hire out yardwork. What worked for me was/is simplicity ---$10k cash truck or Honda, family to Orange beach or to visit family, in state public college, sons or me handle yardwork

This is my take and mindset, which has served me well. You guys know best for your families.

Last edited by 71Rcode; 07/31/23 12:03 PM.

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: 401K contributions [Re: RedRanger] #8892322 07/31/23 11:57 AM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RedRanger

Also the last thing that can put you over the top is by combining incomes and having the thrifty future-minded pespouse managing it. The household financial shovel is bigger and you can do so much more damage against debt and help grow wealth that way versus two people fighting for their own earnings and piece of the pie and spending it their own way.

Sounds like you sacarificed a lot to have money when your older, just sounds like a miserable way to live.

I would never put my hobbies and "fancy" vacations on hold and drive old cash cars, Screw that no need to live like a pauper, life is too short.

I guess what some would call miserable, others would call responsible and living within your means. It takes a lot of discipline to save for your future and not spend more than you make trying to keep up with the Jones who were living way above their means trying to keep up with someone else. A persons wants and needs are two different things. As far as my 401K goes.........I maxed mine out to get all the employer match and invested the rest in mutual funds going back to 1978 when I was 20 until I retired in 2020. Financial security is something you can`t buy, but it`s worth a bunch when you retire. I can`t imagine a more miserable life than being old and broke.

Last edited by TPACK; 07/31/23 12:03 PM.
Re: 401K contributions [Re: Chickenman] #8892355 07/31/23 12:55 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Increase in small increments, you’ll never miss 1 or 2% increases and after just a few years they add up. And, living broke will be a lot worse than dying broke 😏.

Re: 401K contributions [Re: Chickenman] #8892375 07/31/23 01:15 PM
D
DCR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
50 and below max is 22.5k ,over 50 is 30k this year,I contribute 14% and company match’s 9% and I normally average around 400 hours of OT a year,I normally max out in December,if you don’t max out you are basically giving away that company matching money,I am 61 and can always pull money from the portion of my 401 that I have not invested with the retirement plan I have in place.
I started investing from day one 28 years ago with my current employer, and never touched the money until age 60,it is amazing how it grew even with the big hits on 9-11 and 2008 and 2011 it always came back,most of mine is in safe money funds now but I should be able to retire at age 65 at my current level of income.

Re: 401K contributions [Re: Chickenman] #8892378 07/31/23 01:21 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My 401k has a chitty options so I put inb6% to get employer match of 7%. I used to max out but the growth was too small for me so I started keeping that money and investing in land.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: 401K contributions [Re: Chickenman] #8892379 07/31/23 01:21 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I max out every year and 4% matching from company is a no brainer!

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: 401K contributions [Re: Chickenman] #8892384 07/31/23 01:26 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I maxed out with the first job I had when I graduated from college. Even with the max my take home pay was more than I had ever made, so it wasn't painful. Stayed that way until 10 years ago when my wife had to go on medical retirement. Losing 1/3 of our income, I had to cut corners where I could. The 401k was one such place. But I had over 30 years of contributions before then.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: 401K contributions [Re: Dry Fire] #8892397 07/31/23 01:35 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dry Fire
I maxed out with the first job I had when I graduated from college. Even with the max my take home pay was more than I had ever made, so it wasn't painful. Stayed that way until 10 years ago when my wife had to go on medical retirement. Losing 1/3 of our income, I had to cut corners where I could. The 401k was one such place. But I had over 30 years of contributions before then.

That’s another good reason to put in a large amount, you can give yourself an instant raise if necessary.

Re: 401K contributions [Re: TPACK] #8892428 07/31/23 02:10 PM
J
jcarring99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TPACK

I guess what some would call miserable, others would call responsible and living within your means. It takes a lot of discipline to save for your future and not spend more than you make trying to keep up with the Jones who were living way above their means trying to keep up with someone else. A persons wants and needs are two different things. As far as my 401K goes.........I maxed mine out to get all the employer match and invested the rest in mutual funds going back to 1978 when I was 20 until I retired in 2020. Financial security is something you can`t buy, but it`s worth a bunch when you retire. I can`t imagine a more miserable life than being old and broke.

I get both sides. There is a line there somewhere between living for the now and living for the future. Having had cancer in my jaw and having it removed and not knowing if I would make it to the age of 53 I get the living for the now. We have taken vacations. Taken the kids to Disney 5 times among many other vacations and I can honestly say when I’m on my death bed I won’t regret it. However saving for retirement is important too. It’s a juggling act for us. We try to do both as best we can. I’ve seen people save every penny they had for retirement and was going to take those vacations and such then and died shortly after retirement and never enjoyed it and I’ve also seen people retire with nothing. It’s complicated as most things are

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Email: joel@carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
Financing options click: https://app.gethearth.com/flyers/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Re: 401K contributions [Re: Chickenman] #8892434 07/31/23 02:20 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Chickenman

Hope to be in a position to contribute 10% within 5 years but with inflation, bills are high.

A guy I work with contributes 18% and will max out for the year around August/September. cyclo Another couple of guys max out around November.

I don't have 401k, but I would put in up to the company max on matching (free money), the rest I would IRA...especially if you can control the IRA. Of course somewhat depends on company options within your 401k...best bet is an S&P ETF, worst option is putting it all in company stock.

If you max both of those, I would diversify into rentals or something else.

Re: 401K contributions [Re: 71Rcode] #8892442 07/31/23 02:24 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

I also prioritized putting money away for my kids future college funds. I had a side hobby that I used to supplement my income a little bit. I threw all that money on the mortgage payment.

Fantastic, Sir. cheers

Re: 401K contributions [Re: Chickenman] #8892446 07/31/23 02:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Chickenman

It depends, how much do you have outside 401k saved. What happens if you get laid off at 50? how do you fund that next 5 year, with out 401k snd SS penalties? How close are you to retirement, if close to 60 you might look into takening advantage of the extra tax free catch up if you can

at the min, take advantage of your match for all 52 weeks

my wife and I both max ours. we also try to live off one salary

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 401K contributions [Re: Chickenman] #8892451 07/31/23 02:41 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
I normally pass on these threads, but I'll give another perspective.

Wife and I are mid 40's. I was lucky enough when I started my full time job I had a manager/mentor sit me down and show me compounding interest on a spreadsheet for 5, 10, 20, 30, etc years and the benefits of maxing out your 401K. I've maxed mine out from day 1 of employment until recently as well as my wife when she and I started dating. I have over seven figures in my account and she has a substantial amount in her account. It's a number on a screen at this point to my best calculations we will never fully use unless something bad medical goes wrong. I will always invest in my 401K up to company match, but I wish instead of maxing out to the IRS limits I had taken that delta and invested it myself to buy a ranch/land which I just recently started doing. I would rather be able to enjoy life now with my kids than retire with a huge lump sum and be too old to enjoy it. Yes, I beetch like most of my friends on the amount of money we spend on vacations, but I can tell you I've never once regretted the time I've spent with me kids and won't. None of us are promised tomorrow. Biggest conundrum in life..........plan for tomorrow or live for today. There is no right or wrong answer. Do what you feel is right for you and your family.

Re: 401K contributions [Re: RedRanger] #8892456 07/31/23 02:47 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D

On the other hand, life can be fairly long these days. How long have your parents and their siblings lived? Being old and depending upon social security with little other financial resources can be pretty miserable, too. I think the average SS benefit these days is around $25K/Yr.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: 401K contributions [Re: BarneyWho] #8892460 07/31/23 02:52 PM
J
jcarring99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BarneyWho

Wife and I are mid 40's. I was lucky enough when I started my full time job I had a manager/mentor sit me down and show me compounding interest on a spreadsheet for 5, 10, 20, 30, etc years and the benefits of maxing out your 401K. I've maxed mine out from day 1 of employment until recently as well as my wife when she and I started dating. I have over seven figures in my account and she has a substantial amount in her account. It's a number on a screen at this point to my best calculations we will never fully use unless something bad medical goes wrong. I will always invest in my 401K up to company match, but I wish instead of maxing out to the IRS limits I had taken that delta and invested it myself to buy a ranch/land which I just recently started doing. I would rather be able to enjoy life now with my kids than retire with a huge lump sum and be too old to enjoy it. Yes, I beetch like most of my friends on the amount of money we spend on vacations, but I can tell you I've never once regretted the time I've spent with me kids and won't. None of us are promised tomorrow. Biggest conundrum in life..........plan for tomorrow or live for today. There is no right or wrong answer. Do what you feel is right for you and your family.

I agree with you! As a cancer survivor at age 55 you never know what tomorrow will bring. Spending time with your family is certainly something you will never regret. Passing away with a big pile of money that you were going to spend later with your family? I’m not sure about that. It’s different for every one for sure

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Email: joel@carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
Financing options click: https://app.gethearth.com/flyers/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Re: 401K contributions [Re: BarneyWho] #8892463 07/31/23 02:54 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BarneyWho

Im exact mind set, saving in my 20’s is what allows me to do the great vacations, hunts etc now

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 401K contributions [Re: Chickenman] #8892466 07/31/23 02:59 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
you don't have to put a lot of money away in 401k , ( max out your matching )

if you know how to make money in other ways

some 401k offerings just suck at making money

I am similar to RedRanger, make it, spend it , live it
but I also invest .... that's how you build wealth while
living it up

Re: 401K contributions [Re: 71Rcode] #8892478 07/31/23 03:13 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew

Takes a special wife to understand this. And a grown up man ready to put himself last. Good luck man! PREACH 👍

Big Beckett!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide