Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! #8881843 07/13/23 06:00 PM
R
RGLass Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
I am 61. I haven’t been to a doctor in almost 15 years. I have been having a couple issues that require that I see one. Made appointment with “Doctor Mason”. Drove 40 miles to clinic this morning. I filled out paperwork (they didn’t ask how many guns I have). Took paperwork to receptionist and she said “you didn’t initial this box”, I said I don’t want to see aPA or Nurse Practitioner and don’t want students in the room with me. She informed meDICTOR Mason is an NP, not a MD. I said I was misled. I was told they always call the NPs DOCTOR. I said “GOODBYE”. I trust NOBODY in the Medical BUSINESS!

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881847 07/13/23 06:02 PM
I
Indianation65 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I
I sort of agree with the sentiment of this topic!

...!

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881853 07/13/23 06:11 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
You'd be surprised just how many of your "small town docs" are PAs or NPs these days.

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881865 07/13/23 06:35 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I would have to disagree slightly here, and say "it depends". I have several good friends who are PA's and their education, training, licensing, dedication, and continuing ed is second to none. They see large numbers of patients, and many and various problems are quickly and properly diagnosed. There are good ones and not so good, but the same can be said for doctors. I guess I would have to base my decision on the problems I was experiencing, and the level of care I was going to require. The majority of my interactions with the medical field are annual checkups and lab work, followed by Urgent care to repair any slight damage my recklessness or stupidity results in!! smile

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881867 07/13/23 06:38 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Plenty of NP’s with much more experience and knowledge than some Dr’s.

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: Blank] #8881876 07/13/23 06:53 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Blank
................................................................................................ The majority of my interactions with the medical field are annual checkups and lab work, followed by Urgent care to repair any slight damage my recklessness or stupidity results in!! smile

I resemble that remark and have the scars to prove it! grin

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881881 07/13/23 07:08 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Let me start by saying I agree in almost all instances...but then let me follow it up with a story about my wife's PA, who she calls a Dr and it drives me crazy. grin

2016 my wife was having some nausea and dizzy episodes. Most all her Dr's wrote it off as inner ear or vertigo episodes. One day her Dr was busy and asked if she could see the PA. My wife agrees and he sees her, gets family history update and the like and tells her he agrees with everyone else and thinks it's an ear issue but just to be safe he ordered a cat scan. Long story made short, his precaution uncovered a brain tumor that would've progressed into seizures and it was caught before it got that far and was able to be removed without it every going that far. So much so the neurologist asked why the cat scan as he sees this tumor in people (mainly women) frequently but rarely does he see them prior to them having a seizure and in some cases once they start the person has to be medicated for life to keep them from reoccuring.

So to many of the points made above...a good healthcare professional is just that, regardless of title. But...I personally still wanna see a Dr and not a PA or NP.

It's also not hard to do a little research on who you are booking an appointment with to determine what their qualifications and schooling are. Good luck in your search, finding a Dr sucks now more than ever...I went and saw mine yesterday and he's still all in on the stupid mask and covid crap. Hard to believe someone can be so talented and smart and yet be so freaking stupid.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881885 07/13/23 07:10 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
The best Doctor I have ever had was a female NP. At the time I was not thrilled about a female doctor or being a NP but she was great! She is now over seas working on her doctors degree and I look forward to switching her to my primary care doctor when she comes back.

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: ntxtrapper] #8881891 07/13/23 07:19 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

I actually prefer NP's or PA's. I'm youngish and in good health so anytime I'm going to see a Dr it is because I'm sick and it hasn't gone away in a week or so. Otherwise I keep my butt out of the Dr.

Dr's always seem to have a smug superiority complex. The PA I see is really nice and friendly. She handles everything I need and gets me in and out quickly.

One instance stands out to me. When I was getting my vasectomy the nurse brought me in the room where the Dr was sitting next to another guy, I'm guessing was another Dr that was maybe training. Anyway, she explained what I needed to do and left the room. I'm not even sure the Dr said a word to me the entire time. He sat and talked with the other Dr about his boat. Got done and left. Still don't think he said a word to me.

[Linked Image]

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881903 07/13/23 07:49 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
PA/NP fees may not be as high as DR fees. If you're getting taken care of by a PA/NP then why pay more?

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881907 07/13/23 07:53 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My preference is to see a real doctor, and while they are sizing up my issues, I’m sizing up them. Having the title of doctor does not make them a good doctor.

Was seeing a PA some years ago. She’d ask me what my symptoms were, then she’d Google it up. She was replaced immediately. Another time, having skin issues, I went to several dermatologists in Waco. They had no idea what the problem or the solution was, so their suggestion was to see an allergist. Got nowhere with that. Finally decided to go back to Houston to see an old guy I trusted. He had a look and diagnosed it in 10 seconds. Told me what to put on it, and problem solved.

Took me a whole year to find a doctor who could diagnose my brain tumor, before we knew it was that. I went through a long list of doctors to find the right ones. If the tumor had been faster growing I would not have lived long enough to speak with the right doctors.

Just lost a cousin by marriage due to a misdiagnosis of an aggressive throat cancer. She was 31 and a beautiful young woman. Her Mom was going to ship her to the Houston Medical Center from Honolulu, but time ran out.

My wife had colon cancer, and had it not been for a sharp eyed doctor, I might have lost her. Doctors prior to that said that there was nothing wrong. Well, they were wrong.

If you need a doctor, find a good doctor.

Please pardon my rant, but if you feel like you have a serious problem, being satisfied with less than first class treatment might kill you. As for what constitutes a serious problem, that’s your decision.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881916 07/13/23 08:24 PM
R
ralph Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
are those "issues" anger and paranoia?

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: Blank] #8881935 07/13/23 09:06 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
NP's and PA's aren't physicians or doctors, and they should never be referred to as such. There's a large difference in education, responsibility, liability, and training between nurses, PA's, and MD's.

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: KRoyal] #8881944 07/13/23 09:32 PM
L
LoneStarSon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

I actually prefer NP's or PA's. I'm youngish and in good health so anytime I'm going to see a Dr it is because I'm sick and it hasn't gone away in a week or so. Otherwise I keep my butt out of the Dr.

Dr's always seem to have a smug superiority complex. The PA I see is really nice and friendly. She handles everything I need and gets me in and out quickly.

One instance stands out to me. When I was getting my vasectomy the nurse brought me in the room where the Dr was sitting next to another guy, I'm guessing was another Dr that was maybe training. Anyway, she explained what I needed to do and left the room. I'm not even sure the Dr said a word to me the entire time. He sat and talked with the other Dr about his boat. Got done and left. Still don't think he said a word to me.

Most like the other person was a doctor doing a fellowship, meaning they were training to be board certified in a specialty. When my best friend had his accident, I ended up taking over his medical care and organizing the medical team for him. The urologist I got him into had a fellow...and although the main doctor had a lot more experience, the fellow was the one that did the most work and was by far the most personable.

As to the OP, an NP may have their doctorate of nurse practitioner, but is usually not referred to as a Doctor in a clinic...they are called Dr in Academia though...When I had a cyst that ruptured in 2015, the PA was a heck of a lot more experienced, kinder, and just a better practitioner than the medical doctor that removed my cyst. While medical doctors will have more education, most NPs and PAs will have more hands on experience. Really depends on the situation. I understand your frustration, because an NP should not be referred to as a doctor in a clinical setting because it is confusing, regardless if they have their doctorate or not.

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: DocHorton] #8881950 07/13/23 09:52 PM
J
JTS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Should dentist be referred to as doctors?

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: JTS] #8881953 07/13/23 09:57 PM
C
Concho Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by JTS

I believe they are doctors.

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881957 07/13/23 10:02 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
PA schooling = undergrad x 4 years, grad school for 2.5 yrs

NP schooling = nursing school x 4 years plus 2-4 years grad school

MD schooling = undergrad x 4 years, med school x 4 years, residency minimum 3 years (maximum up to 9-10 years)

Anyone that says a PA or NP has more education than a MD is just fooling themselves. Experience-wise, the bare minimum of 3 years of residency (family med and basic int medicine doc) is more clinical and medical experience than most NP or PA will see in their career.

I understand the need for physician extenders in the modern practice of medicine, but they are not replacements.

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881974 07/13/23 10:36 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Not all women in nurse outfits are actually nurses.

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881978 07/13/23 10:49 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
'Bought a white Delta 88 for my daughter from an ancient old man. He'd kept his dealer's license and had me meet him at his house. A much younger woman was introduced as his wife when my daughter and I showed up. As he looked at his wife, he told me "That's what you need son...a nurse...with a purse." (I had already remarried. An RN. up She's still hangin' 'round.)

As a footnote: My daughter absolutely hated that car. But I knew she was safe. 'Not quite sure if she's ever forgiven me.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: Concho] #8881990 07/13/23 10:58 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Concho
Originally Posted by JTS

roflmao

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881991 07/13/23 10:58 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
My doctor is a PA and is the best 'Doctor" i have ever had. She knows her stuff. I dont have any major complications tho.

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: Hudbone] #8881992 07/13/23 11:00 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Hudbone

Lol.

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: RGLass] #8881993 07/13/23 11:01 PM
R
RGLass Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
Ralph. You can go pound sand. I am having MAJOR issues. We were lead to believe I was going to see a DOCTOR.

Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: Hudbone] #8882013 07/13/23 11:39 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Hudbone

clap

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Make Sure it’s a REAL Doctor! [Re: DocHorton] #8882017 07/13/23 11:41 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by Concho
Originally Posted by JTS

roflmao

The ability to laugh at yourself is HUUUGE. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide