Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8875724 06/29/23 11:48 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
I shot a match one time that the rifle had to be cased all the way to the shooting line then uncased for the stage then put back in case at the firing line to remain there until the next stage. It was quite annoying. Can get peppered in the face by shotgun shells from the bay over, but couldn’t have a rifle out of the case between stages.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Judd] #8875813 06/30/23 02:52 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
there is a wise azz in every group. im glad judd reads my posts completely.

I wish there was a way that yours popped up at the top of my feed so I could kick you in the berries everyday rofl

roflmao

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8875960 06/30/23 02:35 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I wish some of the hunter safety courses did a better job on gun safety. Guys hunting rabbits in heavy cover, or quail hunters spread apart in heavy cover. Folks can lose awareness of where the other hunters are located. That accounts for a lot of mishaps. Duck boats and vehicles in "run and gun" hunting where guns are being taken in and out of vehicles- another primary source of accidents. Loading and unloading guns at a vehicle, a problem. Uncased guns in camp with kids running around. Pulling loaded guns by rope up into a tree stand.
The other issue, how the safety mechanism works on a firearm. All guns maybe dangerous but some systems are better than others. A Bolt Action if a boxed or closed magazine- you have to unload running rounds in and out of the action, same with lever actions. Especially older guns that didn't have any cross bolt/lock type safeties.

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8875964 06/30/23 02:42 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
yes common sense, Rifle cant fire if trigger is protected in a case. Now gunsmith is only one touching and clearing it when he opens the case. Randoms arent messing with action in store because they forgot to open action or pull bolt

There was a case here in the Houston area where a man was shot and killed while removing his shotgun from its case when he was removing it from behind the seat of his truck. He had reportedly left it loaded and in the case since hunting season. It would seem having guns removed from cases in unknown conditions within the facility is more dangerous than having them visible with bolts open.

if you owned a gunsmith/shop it would behoove you to be the only one handling a fire arm from a case until you have cleared it. If you discharge a firearm from the case you pulled the trigger, and shouldnt own a Gun shop. As gun owner the rifle should been checked to make sure it was safe before you put it into the case, and rechecked before travel.

But doesn't that increase your liability as the store/range owner for an accident involving a firearm that you handled but knew nothing about?

It brings to mind another incident here in the Houston area where I man was shot and killed at a local shooting range when an employee was working on a customer's firearm. The bullet traveled through the store wall and hit a customer who was walking across the parking lot. It would be the possibility of someone having modified a firearm and made it unsafe that would worry me most. That's something that cannot be determined when the firearm is carried in a case. Having it carried in the open by the owner with the bolt open would make me feel more comfortable if I were the store/range owner.

Let's not also not overlook the basic rule of firearm safety that firearms should always be handed to someone with the bolt open and an open chamber visible to them, which cannot be done when a cased firearm.

Hot Wells?

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Dave Scott] #8875982 06/30/23 03:35 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
I wish some of the hunter safety courses did a better job on gun safety. Guys hunting rabbits in heavy cover, or quail hunters spread apart in heavy cover. Folks can lose awareness of where the other hunters are located. That accounts for a lot of mishaps. Duck boats and vehicles in "run and gun" hunting where guns are being taken in and out of vehicles- another primary source of accidents. Loading and unloading guns at a vehicle, a problem. Uncased guns in camp with kids running around. Pulling loaded guns by rope up into a tree stand.
The other issue, how the safety mechanism works on a firearm. All guns maybe dangerous but some systems are better than others. A Bolt Action if a boxed or closed magazine- you have to unload running rounds in and out of the action, same with lever actions. Especially older guns that didn't have any cross bolt/lock type safeties.

Something I always do in my HE classes is read cases taken from the TPWD Hunting Accident Reports and use them to create useful discussion. It takes the class out of the book and into the real world where people who are supposed to be safe hunters can and do end up getting injured or killed.

If I were a lease manager, the previous season's report would be required reading for every member.

TPWD Hunting Accident Reports

Here are the details from last season's very tragic and fatal hunting accident...

Father dropped 15-year-old victim and a family friend off on private land adjacent to public land where father hunted. Victim was in a blind 300 yards from friend. After friend and father heard a shot, they went to the victim’s blind and found her dead -- a shot from her lower jaw thru the top of her skull. No known reasons for suicide in her history (determined to be accident).

This case, also taken from last year's report, is more closely related to the topic at hand...

A party of six were rabbit hunting from a 6-seater UHV. Driver stopped UHV to shoot at a rabbit and while retrieving his loaded .22 handgun from unzipped, soft case, the trigger was activated, sending a round towards the right calf of victim, sitting in the back.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/30/23 03:59 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8876016 06/30/23 04:18 PM
D
Deans Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
[quote=BOBO the Clown]yes common sense, Rifle cant fire if trigger is protected in a case. Now gunsmith is only one touching and clearing it when he opens the case. Randoms arent messing with action in store because they forgot to open action or pull bolt

There was a case here in the Houston area where a man was shot and killed while removing his shotgun from its case when he was removing it from behind the seat of his truck. He had reportedly left it loaded and in the case since hunting season. It would seem having guns removed from cases in unknown conditions within the facility is more dangerous than having them visible with bolts open.

if you owned a gunsmith/shop it would behoove you to be the only one handling a fire arm from a case until you have cleared it. If you discharge a firearm from the case you pulled the trigger, and shouldnt own a Gun shop. As gun owner the rifle should been checked to make sure it was safe before you put it into the case, and rechecked before travel.

But doesn't that increase your liability as the store/range owner for an accident involving a firearm that you handled but knew nothing about?

It brings to mind another incident here in the Houston area where I man was shot and killed at a local shooting range when an employee was working on a customer's firearm. The bullet traveled through the store wall and hit a customer who was walking across the parking lot. It would be the possibility of someone having modified a firearm and made it unsafe that would worry me most. That's something that cannot be determined when the firearm is carried in a case. Having it carried in the open by the owner with the bolt open would make me feel more comfortable if I were the store/range owner.

Let's not also not overlook the basic rule of firearm safety that firearms should always be handed to someone with the bolt open and an open chamber visible to them, which cannot be done when a cased firearm.

Hot Wells?

quote]

Yes

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8876451 07/01/23 03:25 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Relating actual accidents is a very good idea. Today there is an angst or competition to "get something". People start to lose good judgement. Good idea, take a new hunter to a ranch where he/she can shoot probably the best deer they will ever get. Get it out of their system.
I cannot believe the continual number of accidents by grabbing loaded guns out of vehicles. Back in the "lever action days" a lot of guns were carried without a round in the chamber. You could lever in a round while raising the rifle to shoot. There weren't that many people years ago that relied on a safety. Same with a pump action.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide