Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cased or uncased? #8874890 06/28/23 02:55 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I recently visited a local gun range that followed a strict policy that firearms be cased before entering the place. It was a 180-degree turn from the place I usually go that demands firearms be uncased and with the actions/bolts open before entering the facility.

It seems to me asking that firearms be cased is far more dangerous since you cannot see in what state the firearm is being carried.

Or am I missing something?

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874908 06/28/23 03:33 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
yes common sense, Rifle cant fire if trigger is protected in a case. Now gunsmith is only one touching and clearing it when he opens the case. Randoms arent messing with action in store because they forgot to open action or pull bolt

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874912 06/28/23 03:46 PM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I agree with cased until at firing lane. At one time I saw trigger locks installed by greeter at Bass Pro.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874916 06/28/23 04:02 PM
M
MClark Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
M
Traveling out of USA the TSA inspector said they want bolts out, rifle can’t fire without a bolt. Logical
When leaving South Africa the police who do paperwork and inspect said to have bolt in, bolt won’t get lost. Logical.
We told the South Africans what the US people said, their response, "You and two police officers have looked to see if loaded. It’s not that complicated."

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8874921 06/28/23 04:08 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
yes common sense, Rifle cant fire if trigger is protected in a case. Now gunsmith is only one touching and clearing it when he opens the case. Randoms arent messing with action in store because they forgot to open action or pull bolt

There was a case here in the Houston area where a man was shot and killed while removing his shotgun from its case when he was removing it from behind the seat of his truck. He had reportedly left it loaded and in the case since hunting season. It would seem having guns removed from cases in unknown conditions within the facility is more dangerous than having them visible with bolts open.

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8874931 06/28/23 04:21 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

^^^^^^

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874948 06/28/23 04:45 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
you cant fix stupid

its easy to screw up no matter how "safe" you think you are. Case the gun till at the firing line

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8874958 06/28/23 05:06 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Firearm should be cased until placed on the bench at firing range. Make sure "cased" firearm barrel is pointing down range. Do your due diligence at your house and make sure firearm is unloaded prior to placing it in the case. Common sense prevails. YMMV

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8874973 06/28/23 05:40 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Firearm should be cased until placed on the bench at firing range. Make sure "cased" firearm barrel is pointing down range. Do your due diligence at your house and make sure firearm is unloaded prior to placing it in the case. Common sense prevails. YMMV

So then, it would appear one approach puts faith in customers to bring their firearms into the facility and to the firing line unloaded, while the other demands they first show visible evidence of that before entering the facility.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/28/23 05:52 PM.

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8875005 06/28/23 06:44 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

There was a case here in the Houston area where a man was shot and killed while removing his shotgun from its case when he was removing it from behind the seat of his truck. He had reportedly left it loaded and in the case since hunting season. It would seem having guns removed from cases in unknown conditions within the facility is more dangerous than having them visible with bolts open.

if you owned a gunsmith/shop it would behoove you to be the only one handling a fire arm from a case until you have cleared it. If you discharge a firearm from the case you pulled the trigger, and shouldnt own a Gun shop. As gun owner the rifle should been checked to make sure it was safe before you put it into the case, and rechecked before travel.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8875056 06/28/23 08:26 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

if you owned a gunsmith/shop it would behoove you to be the only one handling a fire arm from a case until you have cleared it. If you discharge a firearm from the case you pulled the trigger, and shouldnt own a Gun shop. As gun owner the rifle should been checked to make sure it was safe before you put it into the case, and rechecked before travel.

But doesn't that increase your liability as the store/range owner for an accident involving a firearm that you handled but knew nothing about?

It brings to mind another incident here in the Houston area where I man was shot and killed at a local shooting range when an employee was working on a customer's firearm. The bullet traveled through the store wall and hit a customer who was walking across the parking lot. It would be the possibility of someone having modified a firearm and made it unsafe that would worry me most. That's something that cannot be determined when the firearm is carried in a case. Having it carried in the open by the owner with the bolt open would make me feel more comfortable if I were the store/range owner.

Let's not also not overlook the basic rule of firearm safety that firearms should always be handed to someone with the bolt open and an open chamber visible to them, which cannot be done when a cased firearm.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/28/23 08:41 PM.

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8875067 06/28/23 08:46 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

But doesn't that increase your liability as the store/range owner for an accident involving a firearm that you handled but knew nothing about?

It brings to mind another incident here in the Houston area where I man was shot and killed at a local shooting range when an employee was working on a customer's firearm. The bullet traveled through the store wall and hit a customer who was walking across the parking lot. It would be the possibility of someone having modified a firearm and made it unsafe that would worry me most. That's something that cannot be determined when the firearm is carried in a case. Having it carried in the open by the owner with the bolt open would make me feel more comfortable if I were the store/range owner.

Because there is always going to be that person that walks in and opens bolt inside after being told too or slips through observation and has a ND.

This mind set is whats wrong with the world. why would it increase liability? If one person is checking in Firearms and they stick to training or protocol there is no ND’s. The value of and method of inspection is what professionals take seriously. You cant be a professional gunsmith with out understanding proper way to inspect and clear a weapon. ideally that weapon comes to you bolt opened or removed, but the ones that arent open or removed are the exact people you dont want operating the firearm to begin with

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8875099 06/28/23 09:26 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Because there is always going to be that person that walks in and opens bolt inside after being told too or slips through observation and has a ND.

This mind set is whats wrong with the world. why would it increase liability? If one person is checking in Firearms and they stick to training or protocol there is no ND’s. The value of and method of inspection is what professionals take seriously. You cant be a professional gunsmith with out understanding proper way to inspect and clear a weapon. ideally that weapon comes to you bolt opened or removed, but the ones that arent open or removed are the exact people you dont want operating the firearm to begin with

Good discussion.

At the end of the day, it boils down to what the store and/or range owner views as being the best approach to limit their liability while lessening the chance of accidental discharges that can cause death or injury. As the customer, it's important we know the store's policy before entering with a firearm.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/28/23 09:29 PM.

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8875264 06/29/23 02:43 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

So then, it would appear one approach puts faith in customers to bring their firearms into the facility and to the firing line unloaded, while the other demands they first show visible evidence of that before entering the facility.

Verification should take place at the firing line with the firearm pointed safely down range.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8875322 06/29/23 11:04 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Verification should take place at the firing line with the firearm pointed safely down range.

Would this not equate to allowing dealers at gun shows to be the first to verify if customer guns are unloaded? I’ve never been to a gun show where guns were not checked prior to entering the show. If such verification is seen as necessary in a place where the firearm is not to be fired, how much greater is the need when it is to be fired?

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8875395 06/29/23 02:20 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Rule of Thumb!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANYTIME you TOUCH ANY firearm ANYWHERE

OPEN THE ACTION, LOOK and FEEL the chamber

BEFORE

You do anything else.

PERIOD

TRUST ME ON THIS

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8875442 06/29/23 03:24 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I guess comply with the rule at the range. A cased gun could be loaded. If old, a drop could fire the thing. I bought a worn out 16 gauge side by side shotgun that would absolutely fire with a hard knock. Sear nose worn, hammer notch worn. New parts fixed it. I like uncased, open action- seems the best.

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Dave Scott] #8875452 06/29/23 03:45 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
I guess comply with the rule at the range.

And don't assume every store or range follows the same policy. Such was the case when I recently took a firearm into a local store and range for their gunsmith to take a look at it. I followed the same policy as another store and range in the area that I visit more often and carried it with the bolt open. I didn't think a lever action could look any safer than being carried with the lever clearly visible and open. Still do. But if they want me to carry it hidden in a case with the bolt closed, I'll remember to do as they say next time.

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8875461 06/29/23 03:52 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Treat every gun as if it were loaded and you’re good to go. Every place has their rules, abide by the law of the land of where you’re at.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8875467 06/29/23 03:56 PM
B
Big Sam Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
B

Good discussion.

At the end of the day, it boils down to what the store and/or range owner views as being the best approach to limit their liability while lessening the chance of accidental discharges that can cause death or injury. As the customer, it's important we know the store's policy before entering with a firearm.

Excellent point Dan. Assuming a certain rule will make you or others safer is to not understand that sometimes a rule (no matter how well intentioned) will make you less safe. Of course then those who love rules will make more rules under this assumption that rules are always good. No rule can totally overcome stupidity or irresponsibility. There are advantages to cased rifles and there are advantages to uncased rifles. Rules, while needed, are not the magic. The magic is in responsible people. Hence a problem that cannot be totally cured.

"Group think" is not thinking. It is the lack of independent thought. It is a cancer of the mind.
Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8875614 06/29/23 07:44 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
If I see someone with their action closed, I will politely ask them to open it. Scares the HE77 out of me when I see it.

some people should never be allowed to own a gun

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Buzzsaw] #8875628 06/29/23 08:13 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
If I see someone with their action closed, I will politely ask them to open it. Scares the HE77 out of me when I see it.

some people should never be allowed to own a gun

To be fair...you did wear a mask for 2 years rofl

You sound like someone who carries a pistol but won't put one in the chamber talking like that. Guns never scare the hell out of me, people do.

There is a whole lot of dense up in this thread...please continue, y'all are entertaining and I especially love the fear and arm chair QB'ing.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Judd] #8875640 06/29/23 08:30 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Judd
There is a whole lot of dense up in this thread...please continue, y'all are entertaining and I especially love the fear and arm chair QB'ing.

My purpose in starting discussions like this one isn't to find out who will come out the winner but to exchange different ideas and the reasons behind them. Needless to say, not everything is black and white and there is often merit in different ways of doing things. If nothing else, it served as a reminder or even a heads up that how you carry your firearm into one place may be strictly forbidden in another.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/29/23 08:31 PM.

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Texas Dan] #8875679 06/29/23 10:03 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
there is a wise azz in every group. im glad judd reads my posts completely.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Cased or uncased? [Re: Buzzsaw] #8875706 06/29/23 11:00 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
there is a wise azz in every group. im glad judd reads my posts completely.

I wish there was a way that yours popped up at the top of my feed so I could kick you in the berries everyday rofl

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide