Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New Hunter Seeking Advice [Re: Blakeab7] #8873039 06/24/23 10:26 PM
B
Blakeab7 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Thanks for all of the responses. I will look more into starting out with a rifle while I still practice with the bow and turn that into more of a long term goal.

I got my hunters safety course in highschool as part of a class. I do not have a license though.

Re: New Hunter Seeking Advice [Re: Blakeab7] #8873093 06/25/23 01:24 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Way back when I was a pup, we hunted and fished what I understand now is called Lake Davy Crocket north of Bonham. Back then you could hunt waterfowl & WT's & Hogs in season. That was how I got lessons in how not to spook game.

All that was a LOOOOONG time ago.

Another Idea would be to go up to the TPW Offices north west of Denton in ??? and get all the maps and TPW Regs and Seasons on free maps and game reg's that TPW will giver you a head start in exploring on the ground ...but Do Not have a gun in the car or in hand until the dates that that TPW allows.

Ray Roberts Lake used to have areas set aside when it was first opened ummm looong time too but we scored doves back then as well as. Don't forget Lake Texoma's opportunities either. If I were to return to living there again, my 1st hunting would be where ever the TPW Wardens rcc'd way out west on the river....dynomite waterfowl hunting up river....lots of private property is not always posted or the signage kept up ....but myohmy what fun busting ducks in the back waters up there...just be CAREFUL about water walking with all the quick sand on the bottom. I swam out more than once, with my waders over my shoulders and the decoy bag....and put the shotgun's stock in the oven on low when I got home stinking of lake bottom ....SO NEVER HUnt Alone up there.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: New Hunter Seeking Advice [Re: Blakeab7] #8873114 06/25/23 02:24 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
In DFW you don’t have a lot of options. I’d buy a jon boat and start fishing. Hunting is a rich man’s sport.

Re: New Hunter Seeking Advice [Re: scalebuster] #8873118 06/25/23 02:32 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by scalebuster
In DFW you don’t have a lot of options. I’d buy a jon boat and start fishing. Hunting is a rich man’s sport.

Not always true. Public hunts cost $48. If you want to have a box blind and feeders to shoot big deer in a feed pen, then yes. Hunting is a rich man's sport. BTW, I'm not knocking shooting deer at a feeder out of a blind either. I love it. But even then, you can do that on a budget if you want to.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: New Hunter Seeking Advice [Re: unclebubba] #8873123 06/25/23 02:47 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by scalebuster

Not always true. Public hunts cost $48. If you want to have a box blind and feeders to shoot big deer in a feed pen, then yes. Hunting is a rich man's sport. BTW, I'm not knocking shooting deer at a feeder out of a blind either. I love it. But even then, you can do that on a budget if you want to.

I was wrong. Hunting is cheap. Killing is expensive!

Re: New Hunter Seeking Advice [Re: Blakeab7] #8873305 06/25/23 05:55 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Another thought about hunting at Lake Texoma. My shoddy memory sez Texoma is about 1000+ acres of water, east of the highway bridge to Oklahoma out west In years past the Federally owned Hagerman Wildlife Refuge has had drawings for hog hunts. Be sure to see the details for legal ammunition.

Back in my early times up there we also found a way to pass shoot Geese by getting private property access authorization via the private property owners roads that crossed Hagerman property - Always with NO Guns of any kind in the Open, but ALWAYs kept out of sight - and put out full size Feeding Goose dummy's in front of a elevated camo painted wood panel we hid behind. We had written authorization from the Land Owners to hunt around their out of service pump jacks, and almost always got checked by Federal Game Wardens until they recognized the regulars in the Hunting Party. Hagerman has thousands of Migrating geese & puddle ducks that fly over the corned pastures next to the road every year ...what a sight for sure...and can be super noisy and flying at under 100 feet above the road....this was Off Property at the far far east end of Hagerman where the RR Tracks cross the entry road. Great for ID'ing un common waterfowl too....all at no cost to drive around and see the sights.

OBTW the Texas State record Blue Catfish came from Texoma, and now still living I think, is still at the Lake Athens TX TPW location. A guy caught a 100lb'er catfish on a saltwater ABU 6500 & heavy line and hoisted the fish up the rock wall going into a big marina whose name I forget on texas side at the east end of the lake. Ya gotta see Ross Perot's property with it's 5 metal boathouse and his version of a famous rendition of George Washingtons house...with a private heli pad . ...and a great place to catch stripers hugging the rock wall trying to escape, or watching WTAils swim across the lake .A couple miles back down that wall gong west , The Dallas Water Intake is over 100 feet deep and at the end of the down hill cattle trail from back when the cattle drives could cross the Red River on mostly solid ground and avoid the quicksand. You can still see wagon tracks in the shale bottom in 60-100 feet of water with a good fish finder.

You gotta see the transit Goose & Duck flights overhead at Hagerman. After we moved from Carrollton up to the east side of the Peninsula & halfway south down the Little Mineral arm of the lake after I finally found a piece of land that had a sunken Boat House that still had a Boathouse Permit that went with the property, to escape the VA Dallas doctors treating me for multiple issues. We lived at the lake house nearby Marina & Game Warden Offices for 11 years, and finally sold the Carrollton house. I liked the various Hagerman programs so much I got involved with fun things like rebuilding Bluebird Nests, and Hog Counts and Hiking Trail maintenence.

The Day the movers came to pick up our stuff for the move to Palestine, we caught enough stripers off the beach in 2 hours to put over 40 lbs of meat in the cooler. Texoma is another world and not just another big lake. Ya gotta see it to understand.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 06/25/23 06:03 PM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: New Hunter Seeking Advice [Re: Blakeab7] #8873365 06/25/23 08:25 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Msg sent

Re: New Hunter Seeking Advice [Re: Blakeab7] #8873868 06/26/23 07:05 PM
B
Bowhunter 64 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Can’t help you on the public land part. 1 practice shooting your bow to develop muscle memory.2 Always hunt down wind of where the deer are going to be.3 As a new hunter shoot some doe , just to get some kills under your belt . It gets easier the more you take. Drenelin is not your friend bow hunting . 4 I try to keep my distance under 25 yards. The new bows are fast but out at 35 yards a deer can jump the string. Good luck!!!

Re: New Hunter Seeking Advice [Re: Blakeab7] #8896972 08/07/23 05:02 PM
B
Blakeab7 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Hey everyone, just wanted to give you an update on my hunting journey. I had an exciting experience recently at PK Lake while hunting for hogs. I set up around 7 pm, just before the feeders dropped at 8 pm. Around 8:20, a group of 10 pigs, mostly piglets, came into view at about 50 yards away. I was using what I believe was an AR-10 rifle.

I decided to aim at the biggest pig in the group and took the shot. Being only my second time shooting a rifle, I unfortunately missed, and they ran off. I was lucky to have the chance to stay later into the night and use a thermal attachment. Despite my efforts, I didn't spot any more hogs that night.

Overall, it was a great experience, and I learned a lot from the outing. I'm already looking forward to heading back out there once it cools off.

Also very excited for the deer season coming up in a few months.

Re: New Hunter Seeking Advice [Re: Blakeab7] #8896973 08/07/23 05:08 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
That's awesome. Practice practice and then go practice. It won't slow your heart rate when the moment comes but you'll be better prepared. Certain not my place to tell you not to hunt deer yet but if you're not yet connecting with an unworthy animal, do you want to take the chance of injuring and losing the deer?

Last edited by garyrapp55; 08/07/23 05:09 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide