Print Thread
Anyone here have experience with NASP? #8866466 06/12/23 12:53 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
P

My kid has been shooting in NASP (National Archery in Schools Program) since the 6th grade, freshman now, and has progressed nicely. She started out like most, just having fun with it. As things have progressed and she's gotten better, she is getting more serious about it. As well as she's shooting, were talking about improving her average arrow scores by tenths of a point, as she averages 9 points per in regular competition, and averaged 9.5 per at state this year. We're looking to turn more 9's into 10's.

She shoots daily over the summer, ok, almost daily, and every school day. Just at school practice and tournaments she averages over 3,000 arrows a year, add in summer practice and she's well over 5k per year. I can't possibly see how we work on her form any more than she already does.

So now I'm looking at equipment.

We've been restringing the bow every year, replaced a few worn bushings here and there, her bow is getting pretty beat up but she won't let me get her a new one because she loves this bow. So I keep feeding it wear parts.

I'm considering going down the rabbit hole of bulk buying a bunch or arrow shafts and sorting them to find the best of the lot, and build her some matched sets. By our standards everything they are forced to use is kind of crappy to begin with, so I'm thinking about just eliminating every possible variable I can.

Anyway, I'm all ears on whether my approach is bordering on insanity or not, or willing to listen to anyone with more knowledge on the subject than I about how we go about this?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Anyone here have experience with NASP? [Re: psycho0819] #8866573 06/12/23 03:24 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Something on the arrows is select the ones that shoot the best, I do this with my compounds, recurves and crossbows out of a box there may be 2 or 3 that just shoot better than others so find those and reserve them for competition. Some arrows just fly better /more accurate than others. Set aside and basically test select the best ones most consistent of those for competition.

Basics are great to practice but do so with purpose concentration on consistency on every shot, a little difference on grip, fingers on string, breathing, anchor point, release and follow through... anything different can take a shot from perfect to not so perfect. Shooting as much as she does it can be easy to go through the motions but not pay as much attention to the finer details of the shot. Not saying that i the case but it can be with some.

Worked on a hunting bow for a young lady that had the most consistent shooting form I have ever witnessed, she had also recorded all 10s in NASP competitions.

On a new bow or not that is a good question, you could keep the same riser and replace the rest with new. things can wear over time and shooting and basically wear out. NASP does mae the rules for as level of a playing field as possible restricting the equipment the way they do for a more level playing field. .

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Anyone here have experience with NASP? [Re: psycho0819] #8868705 06/15/23 05:24 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I second the concentration part. That is something I have struggled with my whole archery life. Back when I was shooting 12-13k arrows a year it was very easy to go through a session and not do anything but fling arrows. I'm trying to shoot less and learn more. Not totally sure it is working but that's the plan.

As far as bows. I have bows with 40-50k arrows through them that shoot as well as when I got them. I baby them though. I don't worry about it until I get unexplained inconsistency during practice (after checking alignment an tuning). I'm seeing that with my current bow that has only about 25K through it. I'm just not convinced it is the bow and not me. I usually don't switch a bow until I see something in a design that I think will improve my shooting and I always assume the bow can shoot better than I can.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide