Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best ballistic range finding binos #8864789 06/08/23 11:46 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I am looking at getting a combo rangefinding bino and ballistic calculator. I want to input my load info, range through my binos, and have it tell me the dope. I want something that has atmospheric sensors on board. I understand I will need my phone to set it up, but I want something that works with no connectivity. Being able to quickly switch to my buddy's rifle/load would be a huge bonus but not a deal breaker.

I understand this won't be cheap. Looking at Swarovski and Leica now. Anybody have any experience with either? The glass on the Vortex isn't good enough. Are there any options between those?

Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: SherpaPhil] #8864793 06/08/23 11:54 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Nope, you're at the only two.

I use the Leica Geovid 3200.com because Swarovski does not compensate for angle.

But, I do not use the ballistic calculator in the Leicas, just bino and laser.

I do not need ballistic calculation inside 600 yards. There are DOPE charts on the rifle themselves. With a major change in elevation/weather, I rely on my Kestrel with Elite Ballistics for corrections.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: SherpaPhil] #8864807 06/09/23 12:20 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
I am looking at getting a combo rangefinding bino and ballistic calculator. I want to input my load info, range through my binos, and have it tell me the dope. I want something that has atmospheric sensors on board. I understand I will need my phone to set it up, but I want something that works with no connectivity. Being able to quickly switch to my buddy's rifle/load would be a huge bonus but not a deal breaker.

I understand this won't be cheap. Looking at Swarovski and Leica now. Anybody have any experience with either? The glass on the Vortex isn't good enough. Are there any options between those?

My Sig Kilo's have most of what you're looking for. I did have to use the bluetooth feature to get my data for the hold it provides.

However, I haven't used that feature in the field. I have twice ranged Coyotes recently and dialed elevation based on the yardage they gave. It was spot on both times, dead coyote at 339 yards and about three weeks ago another at 550 yards. It was different rifles, different calibers, identical optics on each with CDS dials from Leupold. The ranging feature on these is really good, it's easy to get on a coyote at 550 yards.

I understand what you're trying to do, so what is working for me may not apply to your hunting.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: SherpaPhil] #8864845 06/09/23 01:09 AM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Has anyone had their hands on the new Revic BLR10b ?

Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: J.G.] #8864856 06/09/23 01:24 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by J.G.

I use the Leica Geovid 3200.com because Swarovski does not compensate for angle.

I do not need ballistic calculation inside 600 yards. There are DOPE charts on the rifle themselves. With a major change in elevation/weather, I rely on my Kestrel with Elite Ballistics for corrections.

That's great info, thanks. I was very impressed with the glass on your Leicas. I didn't realize those were the 3200.

At 400-600 yards, how big of a difference do you think it is to go from your place and 90 degrees to 10,000-12,000 feet and 30 degrees?

Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8864860 06/09/23 01:33 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

My Sig Kilo's have most of what you're looking for. I did have to use the bluetooth feature to get my data for the hold it provides.

However, I haven't used that feature in the field. I have twice ranged Coyotes recently and dialed elevation based on the yardage they gave. It was spot on both times, dead coyote at 339 yards and about three weeks ago another at 550 yards. It was different rifles, different calibers, identical optics on each with CDS dials from Leupold. The ranging feature on these is really good, it's easy to get on a coyote at 550 yards.

I understand what you're trying to do, so what is working for me may not apply to your hunting.

Are you saying that you have to use your phone to get your hold data while you are lining up a shot, or did I misinterpret that?

Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: SherpaPhil] #8864885 06/09/23 01:55 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Are you saying that you have to use your phone to get your hold data while you are lining up a shot, or did I misinterpret that?

I only used my phone to load the ballistic data into the binos when I set them up at home. They will give you the hold based on the load and conditions you input from your phone from through Bluetooth. Hit the button and they give you the holdover if you want to use that feature.

That’s not how I do it. I want it simple, fast, as few steps and components as possible. I know my rifles well and the dials have been proven on 100’s of shots on game. So, all I really needed was the most accurate range finding feature that would paint a target quickly. These do that for as I recall about $1200.00 or so. I range the target through my binos, dial elevation, shoot.

Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: SherpaPhil] #8864899 06/09/23 02:17 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

That's great info, thanks. I was very impressed with the glass on your Leicas. I didn't realize those were the 3200.

At 400-600 yards, how big of a difference do you think it is to go from your place and 90 degrees to 10,000-12,000 feet and 30 degrees?

Biggest move you would see is .1 Mil 500 to 600 yards, level shot.

30° F. Or 30° down or up angle?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: SherpaPhil] #8864900 06/09/23 02:18 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Sig Kilo glass is as good as looking through a Dr.Pepper bottle.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: J.G.] #8864911 06/09/23 02:38 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Sig Kilo glass is as good as looking through a Dr.Pepper bottle.

I can find stationary mule deer at 2,000 yards, easily. They're bight, clear and do the job I bought them for. That said, there is better glass and I knew that when I selected these. For the $, I'm very pleased and they deliver. My BIL has Leica's, and the objects do look more crisp, with maybe more depth, but not to a degree that they would perform any better for me. In most cases, I find the target with an unaided eye, and range it quickly and kill it. Glass that costs 2x wouldn't help.

Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: J.G.] #8864917 06/09/23 02:49 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S

Biggest move you would see is .1 Mil 500 to 600 yards, level shot.

30° F. Or 30° down or up angle?

30 F, could be 10 F, but I'm an optimist.

Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: SherpaPhil] #8865004 06/09/23 12:17 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Best all around right now for hunting is the Leica Pro’s
They will do all of what you asked for. The 10k Sig is a better faster RF but the glass is just adequate and I just use them competitively when on the clock as they are super quick with all the data needed.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: SherpaPhil] #8865039 06/09/23 01:45 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If you go the bino/rf route, you will need customer service help at some point, any electronics for that matter. After dealing with Leica's so called "improved" customer service, trying to get 3 different samples of the 3200's to work as advertised, I gave up and went another route. Leica never could deliver one that came anywhere close to meeting specs. If you go the Leica route, PM me and I'll give you Hamilton Boykin's contact info. He is not a CS guy, but he will make sure Leica attempts to handle your problems. HIs contact info is vital if you do buy Leica stuff.

If you're strictly into the best glass, as some mentioned, Leica, Swaro, and the Zeiss versions are the ticket. If you're into accurate, fast electronic feedback then the Sig's and Vortex Fury AB runs circles around any Leica I ever had. If the absolute best customer service and warranty is important, Vortex takes the crown. I hunted over 90 days last year with the AB's, chasing whitetails in the panhandle, and sandhills mule deer out in W TX, and they performed way better than I originally thought they would. The glass, while not on Leica level, is more than adequate, and that includes hours of glassing with them on a tripod. They will get you past legal shooting light easily, the Applied Ballistics software is superb, the user interface/phone app is superb, and these two again run circles around the 3200's I had. The Leica will only give your ballistic/readout info out to 800 yds which is more than adequate for most, but the Fury AB offers it as far out as you can get the RF to read, and that has been almost 4000 yds in my use. The 3200 Lecia app and interface flat out sucked. Hamilton Boykin wound up sending me a cheat sheet set up guide to get it to work.

Just my experience, take it FWIW.

Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: SherpaPhil] #8865106 06/09/23 03:25 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
My Sig Kilo 3000 is going back to the mothership on Monday...it seems locked up and won't sync to any of my rifle profiles. I've hunted with it the last two seasons and it's been flawless. Their customer service has been very impressive thus far. The glass isn't bad and very serviceable to hunt with. I can see past legal on both sides of the day.

I had decided to do the Leica Pros...because Swarvo isn't a big enough jump in glass to justify the cost of the TA's (they do have angle compensation). A buddy has the Zeiss and I have never been impressed with the glass and the button placement alone would keep me from buying them. So that brought me to the Sig10k or the Leica Pros...the 10k issue I had was around the blue tint, but I've not seen it first hand. Which pretty much put me on the Leicas...not good to hear Jg about their customer service because you will need the customer service eventually.

Which really puts me back to I'm seriously considering just doing the 12x Pures and a stand alone that when it breaks I can pick up another one. The Pures are all that and a bag of chips...they are worth the money. Only binos I've ever looked through and WOW was about all I could get out. I've just had an integrated unit for the last 4 seasons and I'm afraid I will hate the Swarvos without a RF being built in.

Paralysis via analysis is where I sit right this second...but I don't hate my Kilos. confused2

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: SherpaPhil] #8865110 06/09/23 03:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

do you run onx, meaning you use your phone. Do ya really need built in environmentals?

I suggest playing with Strelok pro app. Figure out what range the environmentals really start effecting you. Wont be long before all/most have it built in but if you do not need it, might save you some money. Lecia pro vs redesigned lecia geo R

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: SherpaPhil] #8865112 06/09/23 03:30 PM
G
gr8fuldoug Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G

Doug @ Camera Land

gr8fuldoug@aol.com
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support we receive
Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: gr8fuldoug] #8865148 06/09/23 04:10 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

In case yall dont know, Doug(above) represents all kinds of optics and is a real pro and very helpful.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: Judd] #8865152 06/09/23 04:12 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Judd
My Sig Kilo 3000 is going back to the mothership on Monday...it seems locked up and won't sync to any of my rifle profiles. I've hunted with it the last two seasons and it's been flawless. Their customer service has been very impressive thus far. The glass isn't bad and very serviceable to hunt with. I can see past legal on both sides of the day.

I had decided to do the Leica Pros...because Swarvo isn't a big enough jump in glass to justify the cost of the TA's (they do have angle compensation). A buddy has the Zeiss and I have never been impressed with the glass and the button placement alone would keep me from buying them. So that brought me to the Sig10k or the Leica Pros...the 10k issue I had was around the blue tint, but I've not seen it first hand. Which pretty much put me on the Leicas...not good to hear Jg about their customer service because you will need the customer service eventually.

Which really puts me back to I'm seriously considering just doing the 12x Pures and a stand alone that when it breaks I can pick up another one. The Pures are all that and a bag of chips...they are worth the money. Only binos I've ever looked through and WOW was about all I could get out. I've just had an integrated unit for the last 4 seasons and I'm afraid I will hate the Swarvos without a RF being built in.

Paralysis via analysis is where I sit right this second...but I don't hate my Kilos. confused2

Judd, you want to get a combo unit. IMO
For those that can afford good stuff and value good stuff, the stand alone bino is a thing of the past except for very specialized glassing(maybe.)

Last edited by freerange; 06/09/23 04:14 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: gr8fuldoug] #8865166 06/09/23 04:24 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

I would like to look through those and try them, but I know nobody that has them.

Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: SherpaPhil] #8865349 06/09/23 08:46 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I’ve got the Leica Pros 10x32 and I’m willing to let someone look through them as long as it’s relatively convenient for me.
If I know you then inconvenience wouldn’t be much of an issue.

Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: freerange] #8865415 06/09/23 10:52 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by freerange
I’ve got the Leica Pros 10x32 and I’m willing to let someone look through them as long as it’s relatively convenient for me.
If I know you then inconvenience wouldn’t be much of an issue.

Same with my Sig's. They get it done for hunting. I'm not an exception, killed too much stuff way out there for it to be a fluke. The range accuracy and the speed that you can paint a target works very well in a hunting situation.

Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: freerange] #8865471 06/10/23 01:08 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

For those that can afford good stuff and value good stuff, the stand alone bino is a thing of the past except for very specialized glassing(maybe.)

I don’t disagree, but have you seen the Pures? wink If Swarvo made those with a range finder…I’d be like hurry, take my money rofl

That’s the main reason I’m still trying to figure it all out. I am curious to see how Sig follows through with this issue I’m having.

Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: freerange] #8865475 06/10/23 01:15 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

judd wants the “Best”. He wants Pure NL glass with sig/revic electronics @ a Vortex price.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: SherpaPhil] #8865541 06/10/23 03:07 AM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Swaro Binos, Revic BR4 rangefinder. If they could marry the two I MIGHT consider it, but doubtful. Rangefinder reliability continues to be an issue for many reputable brands and their warranties aren’t that great. Binos I look at as a buy once cry once purchase that can last a lifetime. Rangefinders in their current state are consumables & therefore I’ll avoid buying a combo setup for that reason alone as I don’t want to keep a combo setup that has a non-functioning rangefinder.

Re: Best ballistic range finding binos [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8865697 06/10/23 02:22 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
judd wants the “Best”. He wants Pure NL glass with sig/revic electronics @ a Vortex price.

It’s almost like you’ve got the madness figured out wink

Perfect summation roflmao

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide