Forums46
Topics538,098
Posts9,732,970
Members87,066
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: cabosandinh] #8864165 06/07/23 08:48 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by cabosandinh
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Yep, fired an ammo guy (THF member) because he did not do what he said he was going to do! His online reviews reflect as well.

I would like to know who this is so I don't make the mistake of ordering

if you don't want to post it here, please PM thanks

That would be good to know.

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8864173 06/07/23 09:01 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Was anything of this in writing, such as a written estimate with the work to be performed?

He did this to you once. He smelled blood the second time around and damn, he got paid again. He probably sensed your kind nature and played it to his advantage, sorry that happened. Permanently installing that brake is over the top. I would have dropped cash on the counter for what I thought was fair for only the requested work and walked out.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: unclebubba] #8864175 06/07/23 09:02 PM
DustyArmadillo Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
Originally Posted by unclebubba
You specifically asked him NOT to paint the gun, and he did. You did NOT ask for a brake, and he installed one. That, my friend is WAAAY out of the line. Especially charging you for what you did not ask for. I do not like being confrontational either, but he'd have gotten an earful from me at pick up time, and the gun never would have left his shop in that condition. I'm getting pizzed just thinking about someone doing something like that to me.

I don’t disagree with you, it had already been a weird day and this was the FU cherry on top to close it out.

Curious part was that he forgot to charge me for other things so the bill was almost correct.

Still about $250 above what it should’ve cost though.

To me, I looked at it like I paid $250 to re-learn a very old lesson.

Saw the red flags the first time and ignored it.

Paid the price on the second go round.

No one to blame but me.

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8864178 06/07/23 09:09 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Scheels.

I know nothing about the quality of their work, but they have to have solid business practices. Their rates for services is posted and I bet that when you drop your gun off you leave with a written estimate for operations to be performed, and any deviation is approved with a text or phone call before they proceed. No reason a sole proprietor can't operate the same way.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8864179 06/07/23 09:09 PM
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Was anything of this in writing, such as a written estimate with the work to be performed?

He did this to you once. He smelled blood the second time around and damn, he got paid again. He probably sensed your kind nature and played it to his advantage, sorry that happened. Permanently installing that brake is over the top. I would have dropped cash on the counter for what I thought was fair for only the requested work and walked out.

Regrettably none of it was in writing. He was talking notes when I dropped the gun off so I trusted he knew what he was doing. Part of me wants to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he’s got early dementia but you could very well be right about him smelling blood in the water.

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8864195 06/07/23 09:49 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Scheels.
any deviation is approved with a text or phone call before they proceed. No reason a sole proprietor can't operate the same way.

It's what I do.

Here's whats wrong, here's how it can or cannot be fixed. Here's how good or bad it shot.

I've been asked to pillar and bed, only to find out it is already done. No charge.

Here's your load development pics (usually good news). There was one a few weeks ago, I suggested it was a bad barrel. And let's quit throwing good money after bad.

Honesty is the best policy.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8864211 06/07/23 10:09 PM
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
Had no idea Scheel’s had a gunsmith department.

Good tip!

Pricing is here: https://www.scheels.com/on/demandwa...ny_TX_469-854-7500_www.scheels.com_4.pdf

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: Texas Dan] #8864253 06/07/23 11:43 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Yep, fired an ammo guy (THF member) because he did not do what he said he was going to do! His online reviews reflect as well.

No matter the profession, without any form of industry credentials you have nothing other than reviews from past customers to get an idea of someone's knowledge and expertise.

You are the guy thay says a college degree automatically makes the person holding it smart.

Just like a demonrat. You believe things that are just not so.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8864254 06/07/23 11:50 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Post his company name

We need to know who is too retarded to do what they are paid to do only

It’s a good policy.

I for one don’t want to use this gunsmith but I don’t know who he/she is and who to avoid

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8864283 06/08/23 01:07 AM
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
Sent you a PM GusWayne.

Happy to inform anyone else who is curious but would prefer to do it privately.

Got his name from someone on this forum and don’t want to burn any bridges.

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8864298 06/08/23 01:37 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I want to know. We may have things to discuss.

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8864304 06/08/23 01:48 AM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I don’t know why people pass it around behind closed doors, if it’s true state facts and everyone has to deal with them.

In business, if they did something I did not request I would not be paying for it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: unclebubba] #8864316 06/08/23 02:12 AM
D
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by DustyArmadillo
Originally Posted by Judd
I'd not use him again after him doing it twice but I'd ask him to fix the stuff you didn't want and not charge you....

Man I'm not a confrontational guy unless someone is just waaay out of line.

Would rather just take the loss and try to forget about it. roflmao whip

He's also 45 mins away so there's that

You specifically asked him NOT to paint the gun, and he did. You did NOT ask for a brake, and he installed one. That, my friend is WAAAY out of the line. Especially charging you for what you did not ask for. I do not like being confrontational either, but he'd have gotten an earful from me at pick up time, and the gun never would have left his shop in that condition. I'm getting pizzed just thinking about someone doing something like that to me.

Same. This story seems like theft/ransom or something. Absurd.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: LonestarCobra] #8864320 06/08/23 02:18 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra

Not hard to figure out. He's burned more than a handful on here and other forums.

Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: TexFlip] #8864322 06/08/23 02:23 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted by TexFlip

Not hard to figure out. He's burned more than a handful on here and other forums.

Who was it?

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8864352 06/08/23 03:36 AM
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
Not my intent to be overly secretive.

Have to be careful about what you post publicly though.

Sent PMs to those who asked.

I’m sure there are many who have nothing but good things to say about the guy.

Just hasn’t been my experience.

Your mileage may vary.

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: TexFlip] #8864400 06/08/23 11:32 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W

Odd you say that. I know who it is now because I ask and have never heard a single bad word about this smith. I think these issues are a recent event in his life. Maybe the last year or so. I also think this information should be public but given the circumstances I don’t want to be the one to out him either. When I used him he told me he could start immediately because all his work was waiting on parts and he had 13 customers parts going out to cerakote. I thought that odd when he said it. I know now that was odd. I’m guessing he didn’t have 13 customers wanting cerakote.

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8864402 06/08/23 11:36 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Texasflip, give me two more examples of this smith having issues and I’ll out him myself. If it’s the same guy.

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8864495 06/08/23 02:14 PM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I'll take a PM to get the name please.

JR

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8864549 06/08/23 03:41 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Didn't know we had any gunsmiths on here other than :

TDK and this doesn't sound like a service he offers.

Oh Yea KENZ but aren't they just handguns?

I don't see Trigger Time on here anymore..

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8864570 06/08/23 04:34 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Some of y'all need reading comprehension lessons.

The Dude was speaking of firing an ammo guy...he's been very verbal here in the past with his axe he has to grind. I'm not taking sides I'm just saying he's been pretty up front in who that is and stated his reasons. The other party said his piece and has moved on, for good measure he isn't changing The Dude's perspective or position.

We have several gunsmiths on the form...TDK, Trigger Time, S&S's crew, Kenz, etc...I don't exactly know who Dusty is referring to but I am 99% it's none of them and pretty much suspect whom it is. I know exactly who wp's is because I had asked previously because I wasn't aware of anyone in the town he had mentioned (in another post).

Last edited by Judd; 06/08/23 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling...

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: wp75169] #8864580 06/08/23 04:51 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by wp75169
Texasflip, give me two more examples of this smith having issues and I’ll out him myself. If it’s the same guy.

Yeah it was a guy on here that sells reloads not a smith.

Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: Judd] #8864588 06/08/23 05:08 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Judd
Some of y'all need reading comprehension lessons.

The Dude was speaking of firing an ammo guy...he's been very verbal here in the past with his axe he has to grind. I'm not taking sides I'm just saying he's been pretty up front in who that is and stated his reasons. The other party said his piece and has moved on, for good measure he isn't changing The Dude's perspective or position.

We have several gunsmiths on the form...TDK, Trigger Time, S&S's crew, Kenz, etc...I don't exactly know who Dusty is referring to but I am 99% it's none of them and pretty much suspect whom it is. I know exactly who wp's is because I had asked previously because I wasn't aware of anyone in the town he had mentioned (in another post).

@Judd...spot on with the reading comprehension comment.

The past is the past. No need to mention that person by name any longer.

Last edited by The Dude Abides; 06/08/23 05:09 PM.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: TexFlip] #8864595 06/08/23 05:32 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by wp75169

Yeah it was a guy on here that sells reloads not a smith.

the guy that sell Reloads on here, must be Chad

Re: When to fire your gunsmith (or anyone for that matter) [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8864607 06/08/23 06:05 PM
H
HoldPoint Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
so who is the gunsmith in question so we can all avoid a hassle?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide