Print Thread
?? about handgun jams #8841560 04/27/23 01:53 PM
J
J.R. Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Occasionally in my spare time I will watch FB videos. Mostly funny dogs, great archery shots on hogs, Pigman...stuff like that to pass the time. But at some point FB offered me a video of an offer-involved shooting and I watched it. Then I watched another. Naturally, now FB throws them at me all day.

One thing I've noticed watching these videos is a absolutely disturbing number of handgun jams when SHTF. Not just 1-2...like, a lot. Most of the officers are clearly well-trained and pretty quick at clearing the jam, but a couple have been rendered useless in a gunfight by their gun jamming up entirely. So, I'm quite curious if someone in the know can help me understand why it happens that much. Is live-combat mis-handling of the guns causing those jams or is jamming just that frequent a problem?

Last edited by J.R.; 04/27/23 01:53 PM.

"First come smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8841587 04/27/23 02:20 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Shooting from awkward positions with your arms flailing around and you pulling the trigger faster than the gun can really cycle will lead to a jam pretty quickly. I've been shooting Beretta 92s for so long that I can work the trigger faster than the gun can cycle and while it does not cause a jam I do have to release the trigger to get it to reset before a shot can be fired. Personally that is the only gun I've ever experienced something like that with. There was a very famous killing of some police officers in California where a passerby picked up one of the officers Remington 870 shotguns and was not able to get a shot off. It was later determined that he wasn't able to work the action of the gun because there was a live round in the breach and it was ready to fire and he was trying to pump it before firing it. All kinds of squirrely stuff can happen when you panic.

Trolling? Heck no, I meant every word of it.
Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8841590 04/27/23 02:24 PM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Happens due to not keeping it cleaned. Most only shoot their guns at yearly qualifications. Never to be cleaned until the next qual,,,some never clean them. Crazy.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8841601 04/27/23 02:45 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by J.R.
Occasionally in my spare time I will watch FB videos. Mostly funny dogs, great archery shots on hogs, Pigman...stuff like that to pass the time. But at some point FB offered me a video of an offer-involved shooting and I watched it. Then I watched another. Naturally, now FB throws them at me all day.

One thing I've noticed watching these videos is a absolutely disturbing number of handgun jams when SHTF. Not just 1-2...like, a lot. Most of the officers are clearly well-trained and pretty quick at clearing the jam, but a couple have been rendered useless in a gunfight by their gun jamming up entirely. So, I'm quite curious if someone in the know can help me understand why it happens that much. Is live-combat mis-handling of the guns causing those jams or is jamming just that frequent a problem?

Jams happen, shoot enough competitions and you'll see every gun under the sun jam. Just the nature of the beast. I've seen a full spectrum from $5K custom 2011's be jamomatics down to the $400 Glocks jam up. Most competition shooters are very fast at clearing the jam and continue shooting like nothing happened.

[Linked Image]

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8841606 04/27/23 02:51 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
#1 reason...people do NOT know how to handle and shoot their guns. Weak grips and limp wrists are the primary cause. Control the firearm, don't let the firearm control you.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8841665 04/27/23 04:23 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
It's because they are showing videos where malfunctions occur to make it more interesting to watch. We had around 5-6 out of more than a hundred during my career. Of those few, most were during well below freezing temperatures when gun oil wasn't as developed as it is today.

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: The Dude Abides] #8841666 04/27/23 04:23 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
#1 reason...people do NOT know how to handle and shoot their guns. Weak grips and limp wrists are the primary cause. Control the firearm, don't let the firearm control you.

Boom. Gun loses too much energy moving their arm/hand, which leads to the slide not operating correctly.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8841697 04/27/23 05:10 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Tap, rack, bang.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8841716 04/27/23 05:36 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Crazy [censored] happens to the human body when fight or flight kicks in. Most officers will take the fight, but you also have to get off the X or it will be a short fight. You train in a perfect world so that when SHTF and the adrenaline dumps and your fine motor skills exit the game and become gross motor skills, you can still function enough to win.

I had an incident a few years ago where I was taken down by a handcuffed prisoner as his partner was pulling out a revolver. I had my gun drawn and was basically using the partner as a human shield. When I went down I caught my sights on the fender and tire, racking the slide just enough to cause a stove pipe. I knew I was about to pop up into a gun battle and I came up from behind that fender already slacking out the trigger. I was right, gun fight was on! I pulled my trigger probably 50 times while I watched the cylinder of his pistol turn. It wasn’t until he stopped to look at his gun did I notice the stove pipe on mine. I dropped to cover, clear the jam, rip the mag and put in a fresh one, roll to back of car to get off the X, rise up and he hauling [censored] away.

Sometimes [censored] just happens for an unknown reason. I truly believe that God didn’t want either of us to die that day. All 6 rounds in his revolver had hard primer strikes, not 1 round went off.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8841719 04/27/23 05:37 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The age old debate. Auto-loader with higher capacity vs revolver with a higher degree of reliability….

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: BigPig] #8841721 04/27/23 05:42 PM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"
Originally Posted by BigPig
Crazy [censored] happens to the human body when fight or flight kicks in. Most officers will take the fight, but you also have to get off the X or it will be a short fight. You train in a perfect world so that when SHTF and the adrenaline dumps and your fine motor skills exit the game and become gross motor skills, you can still function enough to win.

I had an incident a few years ago where I was taken down by a handcuffed prisoner as his partner was pulling out a revolver. I had my gun drawn and was basically using the partner as a human shield. When I went down I caught my sights on the fender and tire, racking the slide just enough to cause a stove pipe. I knew I was about to pop up into a gun battle and I came up from behind that fender already slacking out the trigger. I was right, gun fight was on! I pulled my trigger probably 50 times while I watched the cylinder of his pistol turn. It wasn’t until he stopped to look at his gun did I notice the stove pipe on mine. I dropped to cover, clear the jam, rip the mag and put in a fresh one, roll to back of car to get off the X, rise up and he hauling [censored] away.

Sometimes [censored] just happens for an unknown reason. I truly believe that God didn’t want either of us to die that day. All 6 rounds in his revolver had hard primer strikes, not 1 round went off.

Thats a mindbender !

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: BigPig] #8841724 04/27/23 05:44 PM
J
J.R. Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J

eek2 eek2 eek2 THAT sounds hairy as Hell!

"First come smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8841742 04/27/23 06:19 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by J.R.

eek2 eek2 eek2 THAT sounds hairy as Hell!

Harry? What are you talking about? I'd be high as a kite happy for days after that.

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: Smokey Bear] #8841746 04/27/23 06:22 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
The age old debate. Auto-loader with higher capacity vs revolver with a higher degree of reliability….

I've seen countless times where a gunsmith will shorten the screw that touches the hammer spring on a Smith & Wesson revolver in an effort to get a reduced trigger pull. Usually the guns will no longer fire with imported ammo because PPU and S&B and most European ammo in general has harder primers. It works fine with domestically produced stuff. This is such a common problem that I keep brand new screws handy to replace the shortened ones with. The gunsmith at Ray's Hardware does this on darn near every Smith & Wesson he gets his hands on and it drives me batty.

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8841772 04/27/23 07:19 PM
D
driftwood257 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
In my experience bad/cheap ammo will do this . A bunch .

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8841950 04/28/23 12:08 AM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
I would be interested in what the “jams” are.
In a fight for your life a lot can go wrong, grip could be bad, is the slide release being engaged, there is a long list of things that can induce a malfunction and the square range only trains you for so much.

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: driftwood257] #8842118 04/28/23 06:26 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by driftwood257
In my experience bad/cheap ammo will do this . A bunch .

Quality ammunition for duty use is used by even the smallest of agencies.

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8842207 04/28/23 01:23 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My uncle got into a fight with a Dallas Cop many years ago, they were out drinking with a group of friend and I think a fight broke out

Off Duty pull guns and tries to shot and it jams, my Uncle beat him up pretty bad and got arrested. They had him charged with attempted capital murder or something similar, it was when I was 20 years old, Grand Jury No Billed him

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8842267 04/28/23 03:02 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Please share a video as an example.

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: Brother in-law] #8842272 04/28/23 03:18 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by Brother in-law

My 1911 jammed a bunch in competition but this is the only time my Glock jammed. 2 minute mark. Factory Federal 124gr 9mm.

[Linked Image]

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8842283 04/28/23 03:41 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
In the failure you just showed in the video of did a cartridge fail to feed or did it fail to eject all the way?

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: blkt2] #8842285 04/28/23 03:45 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by blkt2
In the failure you just showed in the video of did a cartridge fail to feed or did it fail to eject all the way?

I really don't remember was around 3 years ago at my first USPSA competition. I cleared it so fast and kept shooting I don't really know what happened.

[Linked Image]

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: KRoyal] #8842289 04/28/23 03:49 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by KRoyal

My 1911 jammed a bunch in competition but this is the only time my Glock jammed. 2 minute mark. Factory Federal 124gr 9mm.

Great job for being your first shooting event. You did exactly what you should have done, cleared the stoppage and kept going.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: The Dude Abides] #8842324 04/28/23 04:53 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Originally Posted by KRoyal

Great job for being your first shooting event. You did exactly what you should have done, cleared the stoppage and kept going.

Thanks cheers

I had a blast shooting pistol comps, but just don't have much time anymore. Rimfire PRS has taken all of my competition shooting time I have left now. Really want to get back into it when my son gets old enough to compete.

[Linked Image]

Re: ?? about handgun jams [Re: J.R.] #8842646 04/29/23 02:01 AM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Over the years, I’ve had a couple of no-fires even with good primer strike. All were with higher-end factory ammo. One cost me a tank 8-point. I’m not suggesting at all that bad primers cause the issue JR refers to, but just a reminder stuff does happen and you better be able to deal with it when it happens. Missing a big buck sucks, but getting shot by a bad guy sucks way more.

Last edited by Adchunts; 04/29/23 02:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide