Forums46
Topics538,332
Posts9,735,873
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: Redneck_Hunter] #88328 09/11/06 09:48 PM
4X4FOREVER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
If these NE Texas boys see alot more 150 class buck around, they will see a golden opportunity. lease prices will go through the roof. just like south and west Texas leases did.

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: Redneck_Hunter] #88329 09/11/06 10:03 PM
D
droptine43 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I took RH's advice and read the article from TPWD. As to how valid the article is, I don't know, I didn't write it, however, this management program is in place and we have to live with it. Having hunted in East Texas for many years, and going many years without taking a buck and in many years not even seeing a buck, I understand the need for a management program to improve the deer herd. Will this program do that, sure it will, will this program cause some hunters to stop hunting or relocate to counties where they don't have to contend with the "13 inch rule", sure it will. I can go on and on, but the bottom line is that it is here and we have to contend with it.
My question to the TPWD is this, if you are wanting to relieve hunting pressure on the bucks, then why not limit the length of the season, close the season entirely or limit the number of bucks to be harvested for a particular county. Yes, this means that some folks are not going to hunt because of the time factor (being able to go when season is open) or no season at all, or not being drawn for a buck tag for that particular county. But what it does do, is relieve the judgement ability of a hunter, is he 13" or not. Reduce the possibility of deer being left in the woods.
On the same subject, but a different take. What about the dad who takes his son hunting with him and the son takes a deer that does not fit these regs, and dad made the call on taking the buck. You now have a youngster who could possibly be fined and all the rest that may go with it. And we hear a lot about getting our youth involved.
IMO, there are much better ways to accomplish this, but whatever they way, most of us won't be happy.
And if you are curious, I live in East Texas and hunt in West Texas.

droptine43
Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: Huntalot] #88330 09/12/06 12:39 AM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Wes, you are dead on. My ranch is not high fenced only because we don't believe in them. But--- we do manage and guide hunt all of our or the state's deer. On 5,000 acres last year we only took 5 mature bucks and I know you ain't gonna believe this but the state sponsored a kill off on doe and we took 100. The other fellow that was talking about the high cost of hunting behind high fences has forgotten how much he spends in a deer season which is basicaly 2 months. Also just getting ready for season can hamper your pocket book. Not to speak of the gasoline used during the season back and forth from the hunting site!He is right in one respect. Season leases are becoming out of the common mans reach in some areas. Package hunting has and is becoming one of the avenues to hunting. I wish it weren't so but the almighty dollar is a very powerful tool. I used to be in the cattle business. Cattle is a secondary living now and hunting is at the forefront of a lot of land owners minds. Benny

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: Cool_Hand] #88331 09/12/06 12:45 AM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
I hate the 13" rule. Right now there is no restrictions on my lease in Young county, BUT there is the restrictions in place on property that we OWN in East Texas. So now my 8 year old nephew has less of a chance than before this season to shoot his first deer. TP&W needs to realize that not everyone is interested in a trophy deer. And that in the end they are gonna end up driving some folks out of deer hunting alltogether.

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Square Up Archery & Lightning Bowstrings Staff Shooter
Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: Redneck_Hunter] #88332 09/12/06 01:40 AM
J
JoeS Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Your right, high fencing is another subject. I am really objecting about Parks & Wildlife's ways. Maybe we should asked them to post the number of fines and what the fines were for and how much they collected. I think you would be surprised. 500 bucks and 1000's of fines, I think you are falling short on number and amounts. The local judge told me they can not thought out a fine written by parks and wildlife, they have to fine you something.

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: HunterTed] #88333 09/12/06 12:24 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Quote:

I hate the 13" rule. Right now there is no restrictions on my lease in Young county, BUT there is the restrictions in place on property that we OWN in East Texas. So now my 8 year old nephew has less of a chance than before this season to shoot his first deer. TP&W needs to realize that not everyone is interested in a trophy deer. And that in the end they are gonna end up driving some folks out of deer hunting alltogether.

Didn't realize you were that smart! Right on the money.

And for the gentleman that never sees any bucks, in an east Texas county with no does allowed, how is this going to decrease pressure on the bucks or help the population.

This stuff is about horn management not deer management. I raise some cows. We try to keep the ones with the best genes for producing meat, regardless of sex. If not, everyone in Texas would have Longhorns!

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #88334 09/12/06 01:26 PM
E
elkhunter7x6 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Quote:

And for the gentleman that never sees any bucks, in an east Texas county with no does allowed, how is this going to decrease pressure on the bucks or help the population.

Any new law is certain too have pros and cons and destined to draw critisism from the opposition. I have been in the before mention group before and almost lost interest in deer hunting. I dont see how Mandatory management can do anything but help these gentlemen. There is no perfect solution to appease all of us but doing nothing is certainly not going to accomplish anything.I have two children and thats really where the biggest down side of the new law comes into play too me. It may reduce the kids chances of taking a decent buck for the next couple of years but in the long run it may make for some better hunting for us all in the future. In the meantime my kids are plenty happy with hunting for does, three points, and spikes as long as they are at least seeing a deer from time to time.

Quote:

This stuff is about horn management not deer management.

If horns have no importance then quit shooting deer with horns. I personally dont go to the woods with the intention of shooting the smallest buck in the woods. Nor do I go to the lake bass fishing and try catching the smallest bass in the lake and I dont know anyone else that does either. Dont misunderstand me, im not in competition with you. Im in competion with the game Im seeking.

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: elkhunter7x6] #88335 09/12/06 02:40 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If I never shoot another buck deer again, that will be just fine. The problem is that in some of the counties with the regs., until they changed it where you could shoot a spike, along with a "Legal 13"+ Buck, people couldn't kill a deer period. There are still counties that don't issue doe tags except for MLD properties.

This is a circular arguement, because the regs effect everyone differently, and everyone's attitude toward deer hunting and what is important to them is different.

This is something the landowners and the folks leasing the hunting rights should be working on, and not the state getting involved under the premise that is a way of improving the quality of the deer. This is the same thing they have been trying to do with the Florida strain of Largemouth Bass, make Texas the "GO TO" destination for Trophy Whitetail Hunters and for Trophy Bass Fisherman, and not everyone is interested in trophies.

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: elkhunter7x6] #88336 09/12/06 05:58 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Quote:

Quote:

I am lucky enough to have a lease where does are permissible. There are many who cannot shoot does (yes I know, Thanksgiving weekend). Until the last few years I was hunting only in east Texas, where does where by permit only. So yes, I shot deer with horns. I will too if I get a chance this year. Would I like to shoot a nicer buck this year than last, yes. Will I settle for does or spikes or culls, yes. I never said I didn't want horns, just that I don't want the government making that decision for me, and that I have never seen a recipe for antlers that was worth a S*&^.

If you are really trying to get better genetics in the overal deer herd, then don't shoot the big ones! But no one would like a rule like that would they? I saw a HUGE 8 point on TV last night, probably 150 class or better, but it was tall rather than wide, so by someone's definition it would be illegal to take it in Red River or Fannin Co.....that's a crock, but if it was much shorter, say 115, but wider, its legal???? That don't add up.

From another aspect....what you take from the field should be a personal choice. I have a friend that inherited two kids with his three, he and the wife work their tails off, don't ask for hand-outs from the government, and make do. He enjoys deer hunting (and hogs). He needs the meat, really, not many of us NEED the meet. I like it, its nice to have, and nice to help out even in my household. Why should the state tell him now that they have started QDM that he can't take that smaller 8 point on his one weekend to hunt somewhere, or the big 3x2 he took last year, or similar deer. Those should be individual ethical choices.

Is it "sporting" to catch catfish on a trotline? No. But I'd be pissed if someone told me I can't. I run the trotlines 3-4 weeks a year, pack them away, and enjoy them. From ponds/pools on my place, that I feed, etc.

Any new law is certain too have pros and cons and destined to draw critisism from the opposition. I have been in the before mention group before and almost lost interest in deer hunting. I dont see how Mandatory management can do anything but help these gentlemen. There is no perfect solution to appease all of us but doing nothing is certainly not going to accomplish anything.I have two children and thats really where the biggest down side of the new law comes into play too me. It may reduce the kids chances of taking a decent buck for the next couple of years but in the long run it may make for some better hunting for us all in the future. In the meantime my kids are plenty happy with hunting for does, three points, and spikes as long as they are at least seeing a deer from time to time.

Quote:

This stuff is about horn management not deer management.

If horns have no importance then quit shooting deer with horns. I personally dont go to the woods with the intention of shooting the smallest buck in the woods. Nor do I go to the lake bass fishing and try catching the smallest bass in the lake and I dont know anyone else that does either. Dont misunderstand me, im not in competition with you. Im in competion with the game Im seeking.

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: elkhunter7x6] #88337 09/12/06 06:46 PM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Quote:

If horns have no importance then quit shooting deer with horns. I personally dont go to the woods with the intention of shooting the smallest buck in the woods.

And those of us that have places in East Texas where doe are not allowed to be shot, what are we supposed to shoot? I perspnally go into the woods to 10 Spend time with my family and friends.....2) Shoot at least one deer for the freezer. Regardless of horn size.

Here's the problem, MOST trophy thunters cannot seem to understand that some of us just want to go out and shoot a deer. We do not care about horn size. We just want to kill a deer. I have no problem with someone that will only shoot a big buck, but I do have a problem with someone critisizing me for shooting what I WANT to shoot. When someone pays my lease fees, buys my diesel to and from the lease, buys me a travel trailer to stay in, buys my bow, rifle , and ammunition then you can tell me what to shoot and critisize me if I shoot something that YOU THINK IS NOT A TROPHY CALIBER BUCK. Until then leave me the hell alone and let me enjoy my deer hunting the way I like doing it.

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: elkhunter7x6] #88338 09/12/06 07:14 PM
F
Furb Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
F
Now I am not trying to stir anything else up, I just want to state somethings that I found out will browsing the interent. What I am about to say is an abreivated version of what I have read from research done by different groups ranging from Universities and private sector biologists. In no way am I claiming these are 100% true, I am not a wildlife biologist, and if anyone notes any errors PLEASE Correct them for me. ok here it goes:

From what I have read in the articles that I found on the internet, most of the papers agree that the deer species as a whole, males do not reach reproductive maturity til they are 2 to 2.5 years of age. Also, from what I have read of Whitetails in texas, native, non-highfenced whitetails without protien feeding reach 13 inch spread at about 2.5 years old. I believe the main goal, like most of you who are in favor of this, will allow those 1.5 year olds to reach the reproductive maturity and give them a chance to breed more efficiently, now I am not saying that a 1.5 year can not reproduce only that a 2.5 year has a better chance based on what I have read. Now, with the main goal being better breeding population with older bucks, I also believe, IMO, that as a byproduct of this regulation that yes the class of bucks we have in the state will go up, yes the number of trophy animals will go up, and yes it seems that this is the reason for the regulation.

From what I have read this is what I believe the regulation is intended to do, better quality herds with better reroductive abilitiy. This is a heated topic with many, many, many viewpoints that we will never as a whole completely agree upon. As a side note, I am 25 and have been bird hunting with my father since I was three, shooting at them since I was 8, and only in the last 5 years have I gotten into whitetail hunting with a passion due to the decline in quail. So I have some experience in it but not nearly the experience that many of you have, so with that said, I am not trying to step on anybody's toes, make someone mad, or get strung up here, I only wanted to share my opinion, state that I am for the regulation, and thank you for taking the time to read it.

HHUUMMMM, what to write, what to write, I got nothing.
Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: Furb] #88339 09/12/06 09:59 PM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Hunter Ted and Furb are correct in the fact that the outing is 75% of the hunt. Bagging a deer just for the horns shouldn't be your main goal. Bagging a deer should be. Too many hunters shoot too early and when they get to the kill, a lot of the time are disappointed. If you are hunting horns, buy some. There are plenty of people including land owners that willing to sell their horns to the highest bidder. Management is going to be the inevitable key to more adult mature bucks. If you don't have the deer population in east Texas, try south Texas. I was under the impression that the deer in east Texas were of a larger size over the south Texas deer. Am I out in left field? Benny

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: Cool_Hand] #88340 09/12/06 11:43 PM
M
M16 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Quote:

Am I out in left field?

To some extent I think you are.

Quote:

If you are hunting horns, buy some. There are plenty of people including land owners that willing to sell their horns to the highest bidder.

This is where I disagree. If you are hunting horns learn what it takes to grow some good deer. Put it into practice and learn to pass up smaller bucks until the right one comes along. It may take almost forever but when it happens you will have something to be proud of.

Now take for instance big bubba trophy hunter. He shells out 20 grand or so and shoots a monster pet buck. Whoop-te-doo. Can he really be as proud of his deer as someone who has hunted hard, improved the habitat, and after 20 or so years kills a trophy buck that he is happy with? I don't think so. It just ain't the same unless you earn it.

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #88341 09/13/06 12:06 AM
D
droptine43 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D

This stuff is about horn management not deer management. I raise some cows. We try to keep the ones with the best genes for producing meat, regardless of sex. If not, everyone in Texas would have Longhorns!

Not to belittle anyone, but when the state tells you what you can and can't take in regards to bucks, it takes away that old mentality of "it has horns, shoot". If you are one of those type hunters, then you are going to have to change your ways. This could possibly mean going all season and not seeing a legal buck based upon these regs. If you can't take that buck with just anything on his head, it might mean that he lives another year to possibly reach maturity.
Now as I said before, there are several other means to regulate the deer harvest that will not put a hunter in jeopardy. The state is putting the presure on the hunter to engage in a management program, that also comes with some strict penalties when he/she makes a mistake. This is what I disagree with.
Bottom line, we can argue this to death, is it horn management, herd management, a money maker or what, but it is here and those guys and gals who hunt in these counties are going to have to live with it.

droptine43
Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: M16] #88342 09/13/06 01:17 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
But what about the folks that don't want to shoot a Trophy, by other peoples standards. They just want to be able to shoot a deer. They aren't worried about B&C or P&Y points, they just want to realize something from the money they have spent. What Is Wrong With That??? M16, you seem like a person I could set down and drink a beer or two with, but how much of your thinking is clouded by the fact that you are in a very priveledged situation. You have access to lands that 90% of the deer hunters in the state don't. To you, 150 class bucks and larger are an everyday occurence.

Stop for just a minute and look at what you have access to and for how long you have had that access. When was the last time, if ever you had to scrape up $500.00 to $1000.00 dollars out of the family budget to have a place to hunt deer. Care to answer that, or can you answer that. I will bet that you have never been in that situation, yet you are ready to tell people that waiting to shoot, what in YOUR OPINION, is a quality buck, is something they should live with. Well, Sir, you are wrong as hell. The quality of a trophy is in the eye of the person that shoots it. If all you want to shoot is B&C quality or size bucks, that is your deal and I have no problem with that. I have a problem when you want the rest of us to live by YOUR standards.

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: Crazyhorse] #88343 09/13/06 02:35 AM
M
M16 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Hmmmmm, I guess things get lost in translation a bunch on the internet that wouldn't happen face to face. I think that may have happened here. I don't remember ever posting anything critical about someone else's deer. As always if they are happy with the deer they shot then I am happy for them. You are correct in every hunter having his or her own standards.

Quote:

yet you are ready to tell people that waiting to shoot, what in YOUR OPINION, is a quality buck

is this the part of my post you are talking about?

Quote:

someone who has hunted hard, improved the habitat, and after 20 or so years kills a trophy buck that he is happy with?

I don't believe there was a B&C score mimimum mentioned? I think we all know that a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. Nothing to argue there.

Quote:

When was the last time, if ever you had to scrape up $500.00 to $1000.00 dollars out of the family budget to have a place to hunt deer.

It's been a while. But since you asked I grew up dirt poor on a farm. I hunted and fished to put food on the table. School wasn't my strong suit but I did manage to graduate somehow. I hated every minute of it. At age eighteen I left home with the shirt on my back and a few coins in my pocket. Moved to the big city and got a job. After two years I had saved some money and started my own business. After about twenty or so years of working sixteen hours a day and six or seven days a week things finally fell in place. Now I spend my time hunting, fishing, reloading, and shooting. Looks like I've come full cirlce. End of Story.

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: Huntalot] #88344 09/13/06 03:39 AM
B
bluewavemike Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I hunted east TX all my life. I still cant beleave alot of east TX hunters care about shooting 1 1/2 year old bucks( 13 inches).3,4,6 and 8 points that are 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 year old. You been killing these buck for how long??? Dont you want to shoot better bucks. Shoot hogs or does for the meat.

I know some places you doent see alot of deer so you shoot the first buck you see. WELL NOW THE HUNTING WILL BE MUCH BETTER IN YEARS TO COME!!! If the place across the fence is killing 4 and 6 points call in on them. A 13 inch 8 point will go 80 to 90 B&C. Does and hogs eat much better any way.

MD Smith >>>-----> You gota kill it before you grill it
Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: bluewavemike] #88345 09/13/06 03:58 AM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
So tell me this Mike........... The place we own is in Red River county. One that now has antler restrictions. The place belongs to my wife and I, my brother and sister in law, and mother and father in law. Of all of us My wife and I are the only two that has another place to hunt.

I realize that you are allowed to shoot does during bow season, but I am the only one of us that bow hunts. And with the exception of the 4 day "doe season" during Thanksgiving no does are allowed to be shot.

So everone else must follow the rules. None of us care about killing a "trophy "deer. I probably care more about it than anyone else does and that's not very much at all. We just want to kill a deer period to put in the freezer. Something to show for all the hard work and long hours we spend during the off season.

Last year only 3 bucks were seen. None of which met the new antler restrictions. So what are people like us supposed to do? I am fortunate, I can afford to spend a llitle extra money to have a lease elsewhere to hunt where there are no restrictions. But it still sucks that I have to pay just so I can have a better chance of killing a deer when we own a place outright. The rest of my family does not have that luxury. How long is my 8 year old nephew going to stay interested in deer hunting if he cannot shoot anything? I realize that killing a deer is not the most important part of deer hunting, but he is too young to understand that. What about my father in law who just wants freezer meat? How long is he gonna care about going if everytime he goes he cant shoot anything?

See my point? These antler restrictions are going to cause some people to not to want to go hunting any more.

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: M16] #88346 09/13/06 10:48 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Yes, a lot of stuff does get lost in the translation on the internet, but one thing that didn't get lost, is your sentence about now you spend your time hunting, fishing, reloading, and shooting.

The majority of us aren't able to spend our time doing those things. The majority of us have to steal little bits of time here and there, and take funds that probably really need to be used for something else, to just get the chance to go hunting a few times a season.

That is why I say that you may have a blind spot when it comes to being able to relate to those of us that can not spend the time hunting, fishing, reloading, shooting that you and maybe some others can.

Would everyone on here and those that aren't, like to kill at least one nice buck in their lifetime, yes. Would most pewople like to be able to kill a deer, after spending the money and putting in the work to either maintain a lease or scout public land, yes they would.

If they have the opportunity to shoot a spike, and still have a tag available in case they see a good buck, there is less griping. There is even less griping if they can take a doe or two at any time during the season, instead of just during a few day period right at Thanksgiving.

It is like your saying the buisiness about a person spending 20 years improving a place, look around the forum and see how many folks are lucky enough to even be on the same place for 3 to 5 years.

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: HunterTed] #88347 09/13/06 12:49 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
(Last year only 3 bucks were seen. None of which met the new antler restrictions.)

And if you'd shot them, do you think you'd see more or less bucks this year?

I'm in west TX and not that familiar with east TX hunting or the amount of east TX hunters, but from what I'm reading and the reports i see from TPW. It sounds to me like several area's of east TX are getting shot out. As i said before in previous posts, i don't like the antler restriction, but I've yet to see any other proposals that address this problem any better, other than an all out closing of certain county's to all deer hunting, until the overall herd population heals it's self.
I wonder if maybe we have put the wants and needs of the hunting population above the wants and needs of the deer population. Without a healthy and managed population of deer, i see the future of hunting slowly spiraling down hill for certain area's of TX.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: HWY_MAN] #88348 09/13/06 01:12 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Only 3 bucks were seen all season, and they didn't meet the regs criteria as legal.

Nothing was said as to how many does were seen, simply because they are only legal for a 4 day period at Thanksgiving. Also, no time frame was given as too how many days that place was hunted, and over how many days those bucks were seen.

It don't matter how many does a person sees if you can't kill them. The antler restriction are here to stay and will keep expanding every year until all or most of the state is under them, it is a fact of life.

I don't agree with them on a state wide basis, but do feel that they will improve things in certain areas, just like I feel that they are a lot more palatable to hunters that are in counties where does are legal at least some time during the season, and that an inferior/cull/spike can be taken and the hunter still has an open tag for a big deer if one comes along.

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: Crazyhorse] #88349 09/13/06 01:38 PM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
It is true that most places that have this regulation have it because the areas have been shot out. Years of shooting anything that walks by and not being selective are why only three bucks were seen last year. But, if you try to hold off and let them grow, breed, and improve the herd, they will simply jump the fence and get shot. Its not about trophy hunting, its about the quality of the deer herd. You cant stop the guy across the fence from shooting them, so you shoot em instead, hence the state stepping in is the only way to stop the cycle that has been going on for years in east texas. If nothing is done, there wont be any deer period in a few years.

Look i understand that if you pay all that money you think you should get to kill whatever you want. But say if you shot those three bucks last year, what would you have this year? No bucks and no does either. By letting them grow and breed, everyone will be better off in the future by having more deer, regardless of size.

And btw, what does a lease in east texas cost? A good place in west central texas can be had for 1000 a gun, my boss' place south of san angelo is 1000 a gun, and you are guranteed almost to shoot a 140-150 class buck every year, thanks to great management mind you.

As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks--Thomas Jefferson
Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: Crazyhorse] #88350 09/13/06 01:46 PM
H
Huntalot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Quote:

I feel that they are a lot more palatable to hunters that are in counties where does are legal at least some time during the season, and that an inferior/cull/spike can be taken and the hunter still has an open tag for a big deer if one comes along.

I can get on-board with this statement. Aside from those counties that have doe restrictions, I believe the current Antler restrictions do allow a spike/some culls (depending on definition of a cull).

Certainly a guy who can't shoot a doe has an issue. From my point of view, the person in a county that allows an extended doe harvest really has no legitimate issue with Antler Restrictions (because all those with Antler Restriction issues claim to be meat hunters).

For the other counties, I would just encourage all to be patient and listen to the feedback we have heard from those original 6 counties and how the ENTIRE herd has approved overall.

Wes

Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: HunterTed] #88351 09/13/06 02:15 PM
B
bluewavemike Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Ted,

In 3 years your Red River place will be so much better and will have bigger bucks than where you hunt now. Red River is a big buck area. You family are lucky to have the new law to help your own place. You neighbor cant shoot the bucks you let pass. As a kid I was one of those people. My grandfather was a farmer and meat hunted in the winter. I killed more than my share!! Thats the way he was raised. I see now what afect it had and know people still doing it. Its got to change. East TX problem is to many small ranches putting to many hunters per acre. 5 people per 100 acres. Thats why there's not more deer. All you see is does is because all the bucks get killed. They will open doe season in a few year you watch!! This is the first step.

I live off I20 by Terrel TX. There are some deer and lots of hogs behind my house. I seen 1 4 point last year out of a stand. 1 8 point in a feild. Thats bad hunting. I think here in Kaufman county they sould close season for about 3 years. Then open with the new law.
I lease a place in Kimble/Mason Countys 4000 acres with 17 hunters thats 235 acres per person $1800. If everyone in east TX would manage I would'nt have to go that far and pay that much.

MD Smith >>>-----> You gota kill it before you grill it
Re: Thirteen inch rule in my county [Re: bluewavemike] #88352 09/13/06 02:40 PM
R
Redneck_Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Quote:

For the other counties, I would just encourage all to be patient and listen to the feedback we have heard from those original 6 counties and how the ENTIRE herd has approved overall.

Huntalot, the difference is that those original 6 counties were only given 1 buck tag to use. That's either a >13" spread or an unbranched antler, and with the 40 new counties, they're given 2 buck tags. That means it will take much longer for the new counties to achieve the same results as the original 6.

I agree with bluewave in the future doe seasons. For most of East Texas, the buck:doe ratio is way out of line. These restrictions should help to increase the number of bucks, and only time will tell if we need to reduce the number of does to achieve more balanced herds. I think we probably will after a few years.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide