Forums46
Topics538,557
Posts9,738,513
Members87,095
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8781426 01/16/23 11:44 AM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by DustyArmadillo
Just trying to make heads or tails of the whole "gun registry" debate.

Somehow get accused of being a criminal in the process.

Unreal.

There is no debate...in Texas. Carry on.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DeRico] #8781427 01/16/23 11:51 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by DeRico
Originally Posted by GusWayne
They have no clue you have a pistol brace...until now

This is what I tell my buddies that are pooping bricks, “they” have no idea that you have a brace. Plus if you live in Texas, I highly doubt any LEO will arrest you when the time comes.

There are other complications that will come up. In the Texas Penal Code, Prohibited Weapons include a Short-Barrel Firearm.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8781508 01/16/23 02:42 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Officially, there is supposed to be no federal record of firearms you purchase. After the background check is done, the info is not supposed to be kept by the government and the 4473 stays with the FFL as stated above. The period has been 20 years. As of late, information has come to light that the ATF does have a database exceeding 1 billion records Also, if the FFL goes out of business, they are supposed to turn their records over to the ATF.

The 4473 used to contain information about the buyer and the gun being purchased on separate pages. The newly designed form now has all that info on one page, ostensibly to make it easier in the future to scan that one page into a database. Time will tell.

It was estimated that registering the millions of pistol brace equipped firearms would take the ATF roughly 74 years to complete. It’s a joke and I hope the courts strike down this nonsense in short order.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8781793 01/16/23 08:34 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I answered your dumb question. Why you have to say I was not useful?

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8781838 01/16/23 09:51 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
If you talk about it on social media, the government knows about it.
If you buy it with a credit or debit card, the government knows you have it.
If you talk about it within earshot of your Iphone and other smart devices, government knows about it.

Couple that, and a few other means of spying on all of us that the government does with the methods mentioned previously in this thread, yes, there is a gun registry in place and operating at this time. Just not one they can publicly claim as a registry.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8781987 01/17/23 12:53 AM
TCM3 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
confused2

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8782029 01/17/23 01:42 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
He hasn't posted about this in awhile

Wonder if he got locked up?

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: GusWayne] #8782533 01/17/23 08:38 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by GusWayne
Originally Posted by DustyArmadillo
Just trying to make heads or tails of the whole "gun registry" debate.

Somehow get accused of being a criminal in the process.

Unreal.

It's alright man, gotta have thick skin around here sometimes

Yep.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8782732 01/18/23 02:09 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The discussion makes it clear why so-called "ghost guns" are such a concern and why others defend building and owning them.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/18/23 02:11 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8818932 03/16/23 01:36 PM
sleepyhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I've bought so many rifles and pistols the last 40 yrs I must have a hugh papertrail. I'm not too concerned about it. This is a free country. Despite what our pinhead President and his minions believe.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: sleepyhunter] #8819092 03/16/23 06:35 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by sleepyhunter
I've bought so many rifles and pistols the last 40 yrs I must have a hugh papertrail. I'm not too concerned about it. This is a free country. Despite what our pinhead President and his minions believe.

[Linked Image]

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: glens] #8819770 03/17/23 10:56 PM
sleepyhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by glens
Originally Posted by sleepyhunter

[Linked Image]

up

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8821560 03/21/23 05:17 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
No there is no firearm registration in Texas.

However you do fill out a 4473. The firearms serial number is used to find out where the firearm was originally sold and then the ATF can go there and find out who bought it. Works for new guns, older ones not so much. After several times being bought and sold the paper trail gets hard to follow. That said the instant check system surely records who bought what.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: rickt300] #8821963 03/22/23 11:08 AM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rickt300

However you do fill out a 4473. The firearms serial number is used to find out where the firearm was originally sold and then the ATF can go there and find out who bought it. Works for new guns, older ones not so much. After several times being bought and sold the paper trail gets hard to follow. That said the instant check system surely records who bought what.

A few days ago the ATF was trying to run a trace on a 1911 my step-dad sold about 25 years ago. They showed up at his door pretty pissed because they've been trying to call him for a day and a half. He had been in surgery having a tumor removed from a kidney and had been back home for less than an hour and hadn't been out to the shop where his business is located along with a dedicated phone line and an answering machine. They pulled his FFL on the spot because he didn't reply fast enough to their trace request. He had planned on not renewing it in a few months anyway but he was pissed at how happy the lady was about being able to pull his license and to haul off his Treasure Trove of 4473s.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: rickt300] #8822041 03/22/23 03:14 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by rickt300

The software is referred to as eTrace and I've done hundreds of searches using it. No, when a NICS is called in, neither the Manufacturer or serial number are provided.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8822467 03/23/23 02:50 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Some of you fellows are more informed than I am but I thought back in the Clinton Administration a law was pasted that the FEDERAL government could not keep permanent records, as soon as the background check was done and you were okay, the records had to be destroyed. I therefore was confused when some crime was committed and the record of the gun, where it was purchased and by whom was known. I was told that the Clinton Administration took the data and before destroying it- sent it to Microsoft or some other company who kept the permanent record- hence the law the Federal Government couldn't keep such records was complied.
Question, how many of you attend local government meetings of any sort?

Last edited by Dave Scott; 03/23/23 02:51 PM.
Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: Dave Scott] #8823773 03/26/23 08:09 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
Some of you fellows are more informed than I am but I thought back in the Clinton Administration a law was pasted that the FEDERAL government could not keep permanent records, as soon as the background check was done and you were okay, the records had to be destroyed. I therefore was confused when some crime was committed and the record of the gun, where it was purchased and by whom was known. I was told that the Clinton Administration took the data and before destroying it- sent it to Microsoft or some other company who kept the permanent record- hence the law the Federal Government couldn't keep such records was complied.

When a NICS check is called in, no make, model or serial numbers are provided. Just a computerized criminal history of the purchaser. In states that border Mexico, there is another form known as the “multiple form” for certain types of multiple purchases at the same time. Nobody keeps them and I shredded the ones I would get the same day I received them. The only time I kept them was for an ongoing firearm smuggling or straw investigation. If I had ever been audited for possession of the documents, I would have to prove the documents were part of on ongoing investigation. The internet is full of bad information about the subject so I assume that’s the source of what you read.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: Dave Scott] #8823848 03/26/23 02:22 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dave Scott

The Feds on multiple occasions have had to reveal that they have never destroyed a single background check record. They even admitted it during Congressional testimony a few years ago.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8823951 03/26/23 07:33 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
A NCIC check isn’t even what this thread is about.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8824298 03/27/23 02:13 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
A NCIC check isn’t even what this thread is about.

Very true. I brought up the background check records simply to illustrate that the government ignores laws when they want to and they're probably ignoring the law against a Firearms registry as well. The BATFE recently made changes to 4473 forms to make digitizing them easier and they have been digitizing printed records for many years now but they claim that they are not storing them in a searchable format but that can be changed simply by clicking a single box on the formatting system that they use now and then every record will instantly become searchable digitally. The ATF can't even control a very limited amount of records that they are required by law to maintain. I have tax stamps that pre date the gun control Act and the formation of the ATF. Their records are in such poor shape that they could not find records for some of the items that I own and I had to provide copies of those records for them to log in the registry. Those records used to be held by the treasury Department and then were handed off to the ATF when they were formed in the early '70s.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8824377 03/27/23 04:48 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Yeah, sure.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8824446 03/27/23 06:59 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Yeah, sure.
[align:right][/align]

Which part?
The feds not following the law?
The ATF either already compiling a Firearms registry or possibly setting up the foundation to compile one?
The treasury Department being in charge of the National Firearms Act paperwork until the establishment of the ATF in the seventies?
The possibility that the government could lose a piece of paper that is 60 years old or older?
Or me having old tax stamps?

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8824464 03/27/23 07:28 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
The part where you’ve never done any of it, but try to come off as though you know about it.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8824481 03/27/23 08:06 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
The part where you’ve never done any of it, but try to come off as though you know about it.

I guess age is getting to you but 80% of the stuff that I brought up has nothing to do with me and the remaining 20% would be easy to prove if you ever feel like having lunch with me.

Re: Isn’t every gun “registered” to the person who bought it? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8826986 04/01/23 03:32 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Well, once again- I don't know that much about this subject but once in a while there is a mass shooting and the gun is shown with information on who bought it and when- how does law enforcement get that information?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide