Print Thread
T/C Encore #8799796 02/11/23 08:24 PM
J
jlsbassman Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
My 2 Encore setups. Top is a 7mm/08, bottom is a 18” 6mm Creedmoor. Also have 223, 460 S&W, 45-70 and 7mm Rem Mag barrels. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: T/C Encore [Re: jlsbassman] #8799807 02/11/23 08:57 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I had a 16” 7-08 ai Encore with the factory camo stock that I used for 3-4 years. Fun gun to shoot and I stacked up some animals with it. I don’t think I ever used the same bullet 2 years in a row. grin

Nice stable, congrats!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: T/C Encore [Re: jlsbassman] #8799818 02/11/23 09:22 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by jlsbassman
My 2 Encore setups. Top is a 7mm/08, bottom is a 18” 6mm Creedmoor. Also have 223, 460 S&W, 45-70 and 7mm Rem Mag barrels. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I want your 460

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: T/C Encore [Re: jlsbassman] #8799833 02/11/23 09:54 PM
T
t george Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
You don’t need a 22-250 barrel do ya? flag

learn something new everyday and you will have never wasted a day.

Re: T/C Encore [Re: t george] #8799837 02/11/23 10:02 PM
J
jlsbassman Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by t george
You don’t need a 22-250 barrel do ya? flag

Do you have one? May be interested.

Re: T/C Encore [Re: jlsbassman] #8799855 02/11/23 10:37 PM
T
t george Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Pm sent

learn something new everyday and you will have never wasted a day.

Re: T/C Encore [Re: jlsbassman] #8799963 02/12/23 01:23 AM
T
Texas Turkey Man Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I have two frames as well and several barrels. 280 being one of my favorites.

Re: T/C Encore [Re: jlsbassman] #8800927 02/13/23 04:31 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I don’t know what it is about the encores but I sure like them. I have bought some higher end bolt guns in the same caliber that I have encores in and when I go to the ranch 9 times out of 10 I grab the encore.

Re: T/C Encore [Re: jlsbassman] #8800967 02/13/23 05:08 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
U
I don't get it. I'll admit, I don't own, nor ever have owned one, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. They don't have a way to free float the barrel, so surely they will suffer in the accuracy department when compared to a bolt gun in the same caliber. Correct?

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: T/C Encore [Re: unclebubba] #8800981 02/13/23 05:25 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by unclebubba
I don't get it. I'll admit, I don't own, nor ever have owned one, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. They don't have a way to free float the barrel, so surely they will suffer in the accuracy department when compared to a bolt gun in the same caliber. Correct?

all three of my barrels where sub MOA. The stock forearm can bed pillar bedded if need be but since the forearm doesnt touch the action for-say it doesnt really cause issues.

biggest issues would be lock time(hammer) and I guess action lock pin could get some play

with no action the gun is super compact and really safe loaded. especially if you have and HD hammer spring

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: T/C Encore [Re: unclebubba] #8800987 02/13/23 05:38 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

I don’t claim to be any kind of super marksman or expert on the subject but I can shoot my encores in the same caliber better than my tikka or proof rifles. I am sure there are lots of variables but I have a half dozen different caliber barrels for the encore and every one of them is a tack driver.

I think a lot of my draw to them is how short and compact they are. With the same length barrel an encore is significantly shorter than a bolt gun because well there is no bolt.

Re: T/C Encore [Re: unclebubba] #8801018 02/13/23 06:25 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

What's your accuracy requirement? They can shoot inside MOA in a lot of instances. My longest encore shot, 310y and she tasted delicious wink

The compactness as Bobo stated is the appeal to me but if I had a kid that was starting, just like my Dad started me...it would be a single shot with a hammer because of safety reasons. It definitely fits that bill and does it well.

Saying that, they aren't a match rifle but they are a single shot so I wouldn't use it for that anyway. They make an awesome short compact 16" suppressed rifle...that and the newbie are in my mind the two best applications for it. I sold mine only because I started building my own bolt guns and it just didn't make sense for it to be sitting in the safe when I could carry one that I machined. Otherwise, I'd still have mine...it was one of my favorite hunting rifles.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: T/C Encore [Re: Judd] #8801056 02/13/23 07:27 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
U
Originally Posted by Judd

What's your accuracy requirement? They can shoot inside MOA in a lot of instances. My longest encore shot, 310y and she tasted delicious wink

The compactness as Bobo stated is the appeal to me but if I had a kid that was starting, just like my Dad started me...it would be a single shot with a hammer because of safety reasons. It definitely fits that bill and does it well.

Saying that, they aren't a match rifle but they are a single shot so I wouldn't use it for that anyway. They make an awesome short compact 16" suppressed rifle...that and the newbie are in my mind the two best applications for it. I sold mine only because I started building my own bolt guns and it just didn't make sense for it to be sitting in the safe when I could carry one that I machined. Otherwise, I'd still have mine...it was one of my favorite hunting rifles.

I understand the compactness, and safety appeal. When I bought my son his first rifle, it was (and is) a handy rifle in 357 mag. Short, compact, and safe. 357 mag is a 100 yard and less proposition regardless of how small of groups it shoots, so I was never worried about that so much. If memory serves me correctly, it's about a 2 moa rifle.
My accuracy requirement? As accurate as I am able to load for it. For me and the majority of my rifles, that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/2moa. Well, I guess that's not really a requirement, but more of a goal. Requirement would be based on the rifle. Mostly sub MOA is my requirement. I give a little leeway to my leverguns.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: T/C Encore [Re: jlsbassman] #8801069 02/13/23 07:48 PM
D
Dink Dodger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
This is 3 shots at 100yds off a bench with a bipod. Many will tell you that you can't use a bipod with the Encore or Contender
Mike Bellm sells trigger, hammer and locking bolt springs. The kits are about $60-$80 IIRC. They address all of the potential draw backs mentioned. This particular forearm is not bedded.

[Linked Image]

Re: T/C Encore [Re: jlsbassman] #8801074 02/13/23 08:00 PM
M
MoTex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M

Three shots from a 12” Encore in 250 Savage

[Linked Image]

Re: T/C Encore [Re: unclebubba] #8801077 02/13/23 08:02 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P

I'll confirm what others have said, the lack of action reduces overall length and weight of the rifle. That was the biggest draw for me when I had mine built for Elk hunting. Mine has a 26" barrel with brake and is still shorter than a long bolt action with a 22" barrel, lighter weight too.

As for accuracy, I would not consider mine to be as consistently accurate as a good bolt gun. The single shot has a couple of things working against it in this regard. One, the forearm is definitely attached to the barrel, nothing can be done to eliminate that, but there are a couple of ways that effect is minimized. My rifle was built by Bullberry and uses their hanger bar system which employs a bar attached at the two factory screw locations, then the forearm attaches to the bar with a single screw. It freefloats the forearm as much as it can be from the barrel, the only place my forearm touches anything is where it contacts the hanger bar..Early tricks for this used a couple of o-rings on the screws between the forearm and barrel, I've seen where some bed the forearm to the barrel.

Another thing that works against them is the fact that the barrel is attached to the frame with only a pivot pin and the locking mechanism. So there's inherent frame stretch and whatever tolerance in lockup to deal with as well. TThe main thing people are doing to minimize this is the use of oversized hinge pins.

The trigger is weird, it doesn't have a hard back wall, there is over-travel when the trigger breaks then it resets when you let off, something else to get used to.

The most critical thing I've found to getting accuracy out of my Encore is where I place the front bag when shooting from the bench. Consistency is key, but I have also found that the closer I can get the bag to the hinge pin the tighter my groups are. The farther out towards the end of the forearm, the worse they get. It makes sense if you think about it.

Now, it may seem like I'm being critical of the design by what I've written above, I am not. What I point out above are more observations than anything else. Mine is a 280AI built on a Shilen blank, trigger is 2.5lbs with no creep. When I'm doing everything right I can get 1/2" 3 shot groups from mine at the bench, and as wrong as I can do everything I might see them open up to around an inch. In the field, mine hits what you point it at. I've had it on paper and pigs out to 300yds, and while it gets picky on paper, I've never noticed the slight degradation in accuracy on animals. Now I won't be trying to shoot 1k yards with it, or even a 100yd BR competition, or anything like that, that's not the rifle's purpose. So as long as expectations remain realistic they are a great platform.

Take my intended use out of the mix and throw a 16-18" barrel on one in a caliber that performs well in that short a tube, and you have an ultra compact very capable little rifle. Or anywhere in between. It's a cool platform.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: T/C Encore [Re: jlsbassman] #8801262 02/14/23 01:31 AM
T
Texas Turkey Man Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I have found all my barrels to shoot MOA or better. 1/2 groups pretty normal with the right load. However I think the best thing about these guns is the versatility. For years I traveled working for the National Wild Turkey Federation, I carried an encore with a 280, 22-250 and a 12ga barrels. I could hunt anything from turkey, varmints to elk if I got the chance with one gun! Only thing I could not do was skeet where I needed 2 shots.
It was nice having the versatility in a small package.

Re: T/C Encore [Re: jlsbassman] #8801311 02/14/23 02:55 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
My 270 barrel is a tackdriver, it is an old 24 inch Prohunter barrel. I was testing a scope for tracking and shot three three shot groups and a 4 shot groups right at and under 5/8ths of an inch.Every shot touching for sure. Kinda puts the hamper on getting another barrel.

Re: T/C Encore [Re: unclebubba] #8801315 02/14/23 03:07 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Judd

I understand the compactness, and safety appeal. When I bought my son his first rifle, it was (and is) a handy rifle in 357 mag. Short, compact, and safe. 357 mag is a 100 yard and less proposition regardless of how small of groups it shoots, so I was never worried about that so much. If memory serves me correctly, it's about a 2 moa rifle.
My accuracy requirement? As accurate as I am able to load for it. For me and the majority of my rifles, that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/2moa. Well, I guess that's not really a requirement, but more of a goal. Requirement would be based on the rifle. Mostly sub MOA is my requirement. I give a little leeway to my leverguns.

I only had customs barrels EBCO and MGM, sub moa is pretty easy as long as you are good with lock time and stick to good fundamentals. if you love sub pound triggers and quick boom, it will take alot to get use too

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: T/C Encore [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8801600 02/14/23 05:24 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Lock time is not that bad and the triggers are easily made light.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide