Forums46
Topics538,442
Posts9,737,112
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8793131 02/01/23 05:52 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Jgraider
I've been hunting the TX Panhandle since 1995. I haven't documented temps/chill factors over that time, but rest assured you can freeze your ever lovin' nuts off up there.

i think it was late 80’s but we had a bunch of angora goats and cattle freeze to death. had to take chain saw’s to water troughs until they completely turned to ice all way through.

Late 80s!!?? Wouldnt that of been child labor for you?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8793137 02/01/23 05:57 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Gotcha,

I saw the whitetail but not the Texas.

I haven't ever hunted Whitetail in any notable extreme conditions. But I have hunted Mule Deer in West Texas in a freezing rain storm. No blinds, no heater, just sitting there in an Open Cab Polaris glassing to see If i can pick up a deer standing up to reposition.

But since you limited it to whitetail I won't talk about that time.....

Trophy, since it's TX weather, go ahead and let us know about that mule deer hunting weather...

same lease as TT, although I think its colder when no moisture and just blue bird blowing wind
[Linked Image]

It wouldn't have been so bad if your cheap arz would have bought the right roof for the mule....it leaked around the edges into the cab and got wetter inside than outside. bolt Heater and windshield was nice though.
[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8793141 02/01/23 06:01 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
The cobblestone ice storm in 2013. We made it the 100 mile drive and put the truck in the ditch right in front of the ranch. My buddy got his first archery deer. It was so easy tracking on solid ice. When we tried to leave on the last day his 7.3 wouldn't start because of the cold.

Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8793148 02/01/23 06:09 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
The coldest hunts I have been on were in the 80's and 90's for the most part. I hunted in 83 when it was below freezing in South Texas for 7 days in Live Oak and Atascosa Counties. Below freezing for 5 days in CC. It was 9 degrees and stiff wind blowing either on Dec 23 or 24 for my morning hunt. Only thing I saw that morning was female bobcat with 4 kittens in tow. Next few days it improved for hunting when the sun came out. I hunted in the Hill Country in Kendall County in Dec of 89 when it was 10 degrees the first Sat in December and then 7 days later on the next Sat it was 0 degrees. Hardest thing was cleaning deer with all the cold temps...we took a 5 gallon bucket of hot water to dip our hands in at the cleaning shed. Ranch was new and not set up till the next year with a cleaning station at the barn. Also hunted in 96 IIRC at Jayton when it was 6 degrees when we left the truck in December...hunted on foot back then and found a lot of deer. Windchill was rough but still saw 38 deer that morning and 15-17 bucks. 2 where shooters just when they left the neighbors wheat and came on us I lost them behind a ridge. Found the last group of bucks and does in a red break on some winter grass that was out of the wind. One really wide 25" + or - mainframe 8 pt what had broken all but 2 tines off. Hunted mule deer in 2014 when it was 19 when I left the truck and hunted out of my Ranger. Saw 44 deer by 11 am and killed a buck....saw 14 bucks that morning. Not sure how cold it was when the sun came up but I was happy to see sunrise. I hunted here this deer season when we were 9 degrees two mornings in a row. Most of my hunting was in South Texas up until the mid 90's when I started hunting mule deer or central Texas to Panhandle.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: stxranchman] #8793155 02/01/23 06:13 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by stxranchman
The coldest hunts I have been on were in the 80's and 90's for the most part. I hunted in 83 when it was below freezing in South Texas for 7 days in Live Oak and Atascosa Counties. Below freezing for 5 days in CC. It was 9 degrees and stiff wind blowing either on Dec 23 or 24 for my morning hunt. Only thing I saw that morning was female bobcat with 4 kittens in tow. Next few days it improved for hunting when the sun came out. I hunted in the Hill Country in Kendall County in Dec of 89 when it was 10 degrees the first Sat in December and then 7 days later on the next Sat it was 0 degrees. Hardest thing was cleaning deer with all the cold temps...we took a 5 gallon bucket of hot water to dip our hands in at the cleaning shed. Ranch was new and not set up till the next year with a cleaning station at the barn. Also hunted in 96 IIRC at Jayton when it was 6 degrees when we left the truck in December...hunted on foot back then and found a lot of deer. Windchill was rough but still saw 38 deer that morning and 15-17 bucks. 2 where shooters just when they left the neighbors wheat and came on us I lost them behind a ridge. Found the last group of bucks and does in a red break on some winter grass that was out of the wind. One really wide 25" + or - mainframe 8 pt what had broken all but 2 tines off. Hunted mule deer in 2014 when it was 19 when I left the truck and hunted out of my Ranger. Saw 44 deer by 11 am and killed a buck....saw 14 bucks that morning. Not sure how cold it was when the sun came up but I was happy to see sunrise. I hunted here this deer season when we were 9 degrees two mornings in a row. Most of my hunting was in South Texas up until the mid 90's when I started hunting mule deer or central Texas to Panhandle.

I remember that 83 freeze down in South Texas as well; bone chilling cold but great hunting...Tons of fish died in CC bays and Baffin too during that one...

Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8793171 02/01/23 06:26 PM
E
ElkOne Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Saskatchewan is the coldest I have ever been hunting deer. I will never forget the last day hunting of on my last trip the outfitter came to pick me
up at noon and I saw him coming about a half a mile away, so I tried to get my gear together and get my gun unloaded, it was so cold my guns action was froze solid with probably a half inch of ice. I tried to open action but couldn't, finally had to use my foot with the barrel in the snow and ice to get it opened and got the shells out. That was my last time, not a knock on them, there are really big deer there, I never shot one in four times trying . I wish I was younger, I would go back but you better be dressed, this was about 20 years ago, we have much better clothing now, but trust me it is beyond cold there up

ElkOne
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: freerange] #8793271 02/01/23 07:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by Jgraider
I've been hunting the TX Panhandle since 1995. I haven't documented temps/chill factors over that time, but rest assured you can freeze your ever lovin' nuts off up there.

i think it was late 80’s but we had a bunch of angora goats and cattle freeze to death. had to take chain saw’s to water troughs until they completely turned to ice all way through.

Late 80s!!?? Wouldnt that of been child labor for you?

lol that been early 80’s.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8793349 02/01/23 08:45 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
mid 80's

Campwood, Texas

Toilet water in our cabin was frozen, no heat.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8793404 02/01/23 09:30 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
We used to WT hunt on the spouse's family place over Christmas when we were down.
One year had an ice storm about like what you're getting now, must have been in the early 90's maybe.
Couldn't go out and hunt because everything was coated in ice, couldn't even walk on the grassy areas.

We've had it so cold up here on a WT hunt near Lusk we shot our deer and left them out in the field to cool after gutting and they froze solid overnight.
Stood them up on their hooves to take pics the next morning.

Stay safe you all.

Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8793486 02/01/23 11:05 PM
L
Longhorn74 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
L
Hunted one December in the mid 90’s when it dropped down to 11 degrees at our gatesville lease. One hunter had a 25ft blind that he was bound a determined to get into. After half a bottle of black jack he somehow managed to climb up the ladder. The only problem was the freezing rain set in and iced that ladder all afternoon. Come dark thirty he started to climb down that ladder and slipped. 25ft to the ground and a broken ankle we had to haul him to the small hospital in gatesville. His wife gave him all kinds of hell after that stunt.

Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8793511 02/01/23 11:40 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
This was around 2015 or 2016 in Hardeman Co. Got in the blind at 6 degrees. That afternoon the wife was mad, grabbed my pistol and shot this doe. It was 14 degrees by then. I warmed up my hands while field dressing her and getting elbow deep in the guts.

[Linked Image]

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8793523 02/01/23 11:51 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
This was probably the second coldest and worst hunt. Wife’s first buck. Same lease in Hardeman Co. It was sleeting/raining all hunt. Couldn’t get a truck anywhere near the deer. That red clay was slicker than cow slobber and I fell too many times to count fraying to drag that damn deer to the road.

[Linked Image]

Only other hunt I can remember being miserable weather was around 2001 when we were duck hunting Lavon. We got to the spot at 3am, decoys tossed out, closed the blind on the boat, turned the heater on and went to sleep. Aluminum boat in frozen water got real cold real quick. Water around us froze and the boat was stuck in its spot until about noon when we could finally get the ice broke and motor started. It was a great hunt though.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: Wytex] #8793548 02/02/23 12:35 AM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Wytex
We used to WT hunt on the spouse's family place over Christmas when we were down.
One year had an ice storm about like what you're getting now, must have been in the early 90's maybe.
Couldn't go out and hunt because everything was coated in ice, couldn't even walk on the grassy areas.

We've had it so cold up here on a WT hunt near Lusk we shot our deer and left them out in the field to cool after gutting and they froze solid overnight.
Stood them up on their hooves to take pics the next morning.

Stay safe you all.

Did the same thing with a whitetail here in ‘89. It was cold that winter.

Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: BigPig] #8793562 02/02/23 01:03 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BigPig
This was probably the second coldest and worst hunt. Wife’s first buck. Same lease in Hardeman Co. It was sleeting/raining all hunt. Couldn’t get a truck anywhere near the deer. That red clay was slicker than cow slobber and I fell too many times to count fraying to drag that damn deer to the road.

[Linked Image]

Only other hunt I can remember being miserable weather was around 2001 when we were duck hunting Lavon. We got to the spot at 3am, decoys tossed out, closed the blind on the boat, turned the heater on and went to sleep. Aluminum boat in frozen water got real cold real quick. Water around us froze and the boat was stuck in its spot until about noon when we could finally get the ice broke and motor started. It was a great hunt though.

What caliber is they weatherby chambered in ?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8793568 02/02/23 01:16 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
In Texas, I've never really hunted in any spectacularly cold weather. Low 20's maybe. But one of my most memorable OK hunts was brutal cold. Lows of 10, highs of 25 for 5 days straight, and it was windy. I was hunting out of a tent. And would cook lunch, then leave the leftovers on the cold Coleman stove. When I got back from the evening hunt, it would be frozen solid. This was before we had reliable cell reception on property, and it was cold enough that the land owner drove an hour out to the property just to check on me and make sure I hadn't froze to death. He found me cooking up some fried tenderloin around a big white man fire, and he joined me for dinner. As the LO is also one of my mentors, and as a kid was someone who my grandfather mentored, this is one of my favorite hunting memories.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: txtrophy85] #8793578 02/02/23 01:43 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by BigPig

[Linked Image]

What caliber is they weatherby chambered in ?

257. It was her grandads gun that I think is a 1981 model. She loves it.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8793607 02/02/23 02:17 AM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Yearling doe taken near Paris TX in 2017. If it wasn't 0 degrees, it was damn close.
[Linked Image]

I grew up in CO and hunted mulies and elk in very cold temps and this hunt in Paris was COLD!

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8793723 02/02/23 12:36 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I've hunted some pretty cold places in Texas over the last 60+/- years. Likely the coldest was hunting the JA in the panhandle about 10 years ago where the thermometer at camp read 4° with a stiff north wind blowing when I headed to a pop up blind, GOSH that pop up blind was cold with absolutely no wind block to the north, no heater, it was brutal. hunted to almost noon before I gave it up and went back to camp. I hunted a different blind that afternoon that was an elevated about 12 feet but had walls and plexiglass with an old Coleman propane heater but not sure I could of hit anything out of that stand the way the wind was rocking it around.

I also reflect back to hunting in the hill country back in the 1960s when thermal underwear under jeans & Flannel shirt, denim jacket and an old army wool overjacket (nothing insulated) while hunting was the norm. I am not sure which of the above was colder feeling.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8793901 02/02/23 05:21 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
The coldest I've sat in the stand in was right around 0.
It was I believe 2010 and we had a lease south of Sonora. My son and I left the hotel in Sonora 1.5 hours before daybreak and it was 9 degrees. When we pulled in the gate of the ranch an hour before daybreak it was 5. I'm pretty sure it dropped at least 5 more degrees before sunup. I can say that when we got back to camp about 9:30am we had pealed a layer or two off and it actually felt pleasant and it was still 17 degrees when I started my truck. By the way, the boy was adamant we took the old CJ5 to the stand. It had only a bikini top on it. SOB!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8793908 02/02/23 05:45 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
The coldest I've sat in the stand in was right around 0.
It was I believe 2010 and we had a lease south of Sonora. My son and I left the hotel in Sonora 1.5 hours before daybreak and it was 9 degrees. When we pulled in the gate of the ranch an hour before daybreak it was 5. I'm pretty sure it dropped at least 5 more degrees before sunup. I can say that when we got back to camp about 9:30am we had pealed a layer or two off and it actually felt pleasant and it was still 17 degrees when I started my truck. By the way, the boy was adamant we took the old CJ5 to the stand. It had only a bikini top on it. SOB!

They did the odd #s on those CJs didn't they, CJ3, CJ5, CJ7 and CJ9? Saw tons of those growing up in Corpus in late 70s into 90s as you'd imagine. Really great retention value on them...

Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8793961 02/02/23 06:40 PM
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
My last year on the dear lease in coke county.with jcb and his dad.i discovered how cold it was driving an atv in freezing ice snow storm..it was terrible..i actually thought my hands had frostbite..i had always hunted out of my truck in as far as i could drive then walk in...

Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8794018 02/02/23 08:03 PM
wingmaster23 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I hunted Dark Canyon Ranch in early 90 from a tripod. Temperature was single digits, saw nothing but a bobcat. Dang cold for sure. But like to froze on a hunt at The Chaparral WMA in Encinal, Tx. Probably 40 degrees with a light mist blowing in my face. Again on a tripod, all day hunt. Got back to headquarters and absolutely could not get warm and shaking uncontrollably. Never so miserable in my life.

Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8794103 02/02/23 09:55 PM
B
B1Hunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I hunted in mid 1980s in Provost, Alberta....18 km west Saskatchewan border. It was -20 C and i was sitting in a hole that we dug on a rise between 2 deer trails. Shot and my rifle was so cold the floor plate of the Remington 700 dropped open and spilled my shells into the snow at the bottom of the shallow hole I was sitting in. Thank goodness I hit the buck and he just laid down, giving me time to fish another shell out of the snow, wipe it off and chamber another shot and putting him down for good. I was told by my guide before I came to "degrease and graphite" my rifles...he never mentioned the floor plate. It was the coldest hunt i have ever been on...but my most miserable was an elk hunt in the Gros Ventre Mt. in Wyoming. It was in late September 1978 and we got caught in a sudden snow storm 12 miles by horseback from camp. We left our waterproof gear in camp because the weather was so warm the day before. We were so cold from the wet snow... it made for a miserable ride down of the Mt.

Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8794184 02/02/23 11:22 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
This past December, 5 degrees, -15 at one point with the windchill. No action to speak of

Re: Coldest /Worst Conditions Texas Weather You've Ever Whitetail Deer Hunted In [Re: DQ Kid] #8794350 02/03/23 03:03 AM
llbts1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
[Linked Image]

Childress 2013. I rode about 2 miles in. Dropped a buddy off and rode about another mile. Never could get warm.
We did this for about 3 days. I'm glad I grew out of that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide