Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: Texas Dan] #8786754 01/24/23 12:22 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I think of coyotes like I do raccoons...it is not a one day or one week or one month and done deal. Year round. It is 24/7/365 for all predators and when you are catching them or seeing sign then you are down close to where they need to b. Then you continue to work on them forever. What you have to hope for is all of your neighbors and all of their neighbors are on the same page. Think back to the old days of sheep and goats in the Hill Country, SW and Trans Pecos regions and what where coyote numbers like then compared to today? Everyone one was on the same page since they had a large stake in the kitty. Starting in March is to late. Yesterday was the time to start, because IME if you wait till March you will come up with some other reason why you should wait till April....then in April you will just wait till next year..... The way I view coyotes is do I want them to make a decision on how many deer to shoot this year or do I want coyotes to work them over then leave me the leftovers to manage in the years to come? I want to make as many decisions as I can not a coyote.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: stxranchman] #8786765 01/24/23 12:40 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I think of coyotes like I do raccoons...it is not a one day or one week or one month and done deal. Year round. It is 24/7/365 for all predators and when you are catching them or seeing sign then you are down close to where they need to b. Then you continue to work on them forever. What you have to hope for is all of your neighbors and all of their neighbors are on the same page. Think back to the old days of sheep and goats in the Hill Country, SW and Trans Pecos regions and what where coyote numbers like then compared to today? Everyone one was on the same page since they had a large stake in the kitty. Starting in March is to late. Yesterday was the time to start, because IME if you wait till March you will come up with some other reason why you should wait till April....then in April you will just wait till next year..... The way I view coyotes is do I want them to make a decision on how many deer to shoot this year or do I want coyotes to work them over then leave me the leftovers to manage in the years to come? I want to make as many decisions as I can not a coyote.

They were also no regulations on means of take. We are over protective of bycatch to go back to those methods. Same issue in Idaho. Unrestrict means and wolf is gone again.

If mason/Gillespie county has same yote population as Webb what do you think deer weights would be?

No body want yotes to make the decision but that’s because you are 100x more hands on the 99% of ranches

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8786767 01/24/23 12:45 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

They were also no regulations on means of take. We are over protective of bycatch to go back to those methods. Same issue in Idaho. Unrestrict means and wolf is gone again.

If mason/Gillespie county has same yote population as Webb what do you think deer weights would be?

So now let me understand this..... coyotes improve habitat? loco

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: stxranchman] #8786802 01/24/23 01:48 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Can if taking mouths off. Why is it every time we culled 80 -100 does off 3k acres weights grew steady for three or 4 years

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8786810 01/24/23 01:54 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Can if taking mouths off. Why is it every time we culled 80 -100 does off 3k acres weights grew steady for three or 4 years

So what you are saying is coyotes crap browse and forb seeds? loco Cause that is what they would have to do in my part of Gillespie County if we let coyotes walk. Why did you quit culling does then if it worked so well? popcorn What was the habitat like? Why not let coyotes take over in Concho since you are over run with deer......wait they will crap browse/forb seeds to replenish the habitat. Let me know how that works. roflmao

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: stxranchman] #8786823 01/24/23 02:09 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

So what you are saying is coyotes crap browse and forb seeds? loco Cause that is what they would have to do in my part of Gillespie County if we let me coyotes walk. Why did you quit culling does then if it worked so well? What was the habitat like? Why not let coyotes take over in Concho since you are over run with deer......wait they will crap browse/forb seeds to replenish the habitat. Let me know how that works. roflmao

Ranch was broken up by heirs. Went from no browse line to back to browse line with in 4 years.

We produce a few 190-200lb bucks on the hoof almost every year, and don’t supplement. We have sparse density compared to habitat caring capacity. We don’t snare, trap or aerial coyotes on 10k acres , and I’m guessing it’s about the same for about 30k around us. Might be 5 yotes taken each year.

Deer numbers are just that deer numbers. anytime you take excessive mouths off the habitat, there is more food left for other. Wether we do that via gun or predation it’s still removing mouths.

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8786836 01/24/23 02:24 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

So what you are saying is coyotes crap browse and forb seeds? loco Cause that is what they would have to do in my part of Gillespie County if we let me coyotes walk. Why did you quit culling does then if it worked so well? What was the habitat like? Why not let coyotes take over in Concho since you are over run with deer......wait they will crap browse/forb seeds to replenish the habitat. Let me know how that works. roflmao

Ranch was broken up by heirs. Went from no browse line to back to browse line with in 4 years.
Still didn't answer my question: why did you quit culling does...on your part? You started and then quit...no excuse.

We produce a few 190-200lb bucks on the hoof almost every year, and don’t supplement. We have sparse density compared to habitat caring capacity.( bs)We don’t snare, trap or aerial coyotes on 10k acres , and I’m guessing it’s about the same for about 30k around us. Might be 5 yotes taken each year. You don't have any coyotes yet you are not overrun with deer....amazing simply amazing that you wrote that. Since not killing coyotes in Webb made the deer B&C contenders....you should be over-run with them now. But instead you proud to get 190-200 lbs bodies with carp antlers? Yeah coyotes are the answer loco
Deer numbers are just that deer numbers. Really you just wrote that?loco anytime you take excessive mouths off the habitat, there is more food left for other. And you quit doing that and what was the result..oh wait coyotes took care of that over-population..right loco Wether we do that via gun or predation it’s still removing mouths. But you quit doing it and coyotes solved that issue?....right....loco

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: Texas Dan] #8786899 01/24/23 03:54 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
No paint rocks has ton of yotes but not to any degree of webb. Sheep all around us

Mason the ranch was broken up by heirs or they would still do heavy doe culling

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8787444 01/24/23 11:16 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
No paint rocks has ton of yotes but not to any degree of webb. Sheep all around us

BoBo, sometimes you need to put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion.

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: don k] #8787470 01/25/23 12:08 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by don k

BoBo, sometimes you need to put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion.

Oh by all means please explain what I have wrong? Correct my ignorance

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: Texas Dan] #8787737 01/25/23 03:04 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
popcorn

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8787781 01/25/23 04:16 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

I feel like I am Bobo - seem to have lost something here.

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: Hudbone] #8787820 01/25/23 05:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone

Paint rock, mason and webb are conversation examples unique and direct to Steve and I’s past/current conversations and history. They are places steve and I have bounced thoughts/theories back and forth on for over a decade.. they arent relative to anything Don would have input on.

All I was saying above is PR and Webb have very high yote populations respectively, with webb leading. Webb also has better habitat and carrying capacity then PR thus higher densities of deer and yotes. Mason has less yote density then both and has higher deer numbers but much lower health, thus why heavy culling years have had such a direct influence on weights on the Mason deer.

Don is just interjecting domestic goat/ag management into a wild life conversations, with no real idea what he is talking about, other then yote predation costs him thousands of dollars in Ibex sales. its understandable why his thoughts are what they are. He has a closed ibex herd with no free range dispersal into or from. Thus why he HAS to supplement feed, no needs to has too.

Most people don't or wont compensate for those extra mouths being added if magically their hunting ground stopped having predation tomorrow. Lets be honest unless a ranch is MLD, majority are not currently in any scientific perceptive probably managing a herd. Thats my whole premise on yotes and deer. Would Webb be more similar to Hill country deer size if predation was removed? probably

True yote removal/management is same as hogs. its a 365 day a year war. Or enclosure that highly limits incoming dispersal such as HF w/snares etc.

I love calling yotes, and I hate yotes on the land scape, but I have no illusions to what part they play and what management of them truly means.

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: Texas Dan] #8787859 01/25/23 06:31 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Solid take Bobo !

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: Texas Dan] #8787907 01/25/23 07:43 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
STX wants to bring up about coyotes not being selective. They relish opportunity which typically will lead them to weaker ones in the herd. Tired, worn out bucks may well end up getting taken out and so will fawns with the best genes (both collateral damage), but coyotes may do a better job than many of the hunters out there. One thing is certain, if you do not take out numbers and keep deer densities in check, coyotes could well to be to the overall benefit of increasing available forage which should result in a higher deer quality for those which do survive.

Eat 'em or feed 'em I will always say.

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: Hudbone] #8787922 01/25/23 08:19 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
STX wants to bring up about coyotes not being selective. They relish opportunity which typically will lead them to weaker ones in the herd. Tired, worn out bucks may well end up getting taken out and so will fawns with the best genes (both collateral damage), but coyotes may do a better job than many of the hunters out there. One thing is certain, if you do not take out numbers and keep deer densities in check, coyotes could well to be to the overall benefit of increasing available forage which should result in a higher deer quality for those which do survive.

Eat 'em or feed 'em I will always say.

yelp. STX is also the guy that finds the exception in a 2.5 year old age class and uses him as the culling bar. How many people can say they are truly managing for the exception and culling in that low of an age class. STX is the true wolf thus why he doesnt need or tolerate a yote. He is at a pinnacle level of management plans

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: Hudbone] #8788029 01/25/23 11:08 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

You and BoBo both remind me of a few supposedly really smart folks I know. At least according to themselves. They talk a good story but don't have the sense to poor piss out of a boot.

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: Texas Dan] #8788272 01/26/23 11:06 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I get to hunt a decent sized place with lots of space per hunter. It is a wonderful ranch, but we have some constraints to deal with. It has gotten better over the years with MLD and the owner's increased trust. 8 hunters and with each having to take on whatever is required to hopefully "manage" a little over 650 acres (per man). Multiply that out and you come up with quite a lot. Each pasture has had an allotment of deer to shoot and unfortunately, it doesn't always get done. Klappenbach is good, Cuz is good, and until this year, I have been good at taking appropriate numbers off the place. That leaves quite a few others. Some of them would prefer to shoot a coyote over a mgt deer. What they do in their pasture has an effect on me. If they don't take their numbers, it pushes deer into my area. That's the way it works.

For years, Klappenbach and myself have been culling from a bottom up mentality. The theory is to take out the ugliest and you end up seeing a lot of pretty. It has worked well. We our allowed to take 7 points or less at 3 1/2, eights at 4 1/2 and anything goes if under 150 B&C at 5 1/2. I believe we have intentionally shot only a handful of 3 1/2 year old deer over the past decade. No spikes (not allowed). This year was exceptionally harsh. Numbers were down. Range conditions were good and mature deer were hard to find. Even so, we were allotted 8 deer apiece or 64 in total. This ended up being too high a number as does were not around either. Even so, I believe 25 deer have come off the pasture. Plain & simple, that's not enough.

I hunt with some wonderful folks. We do spend a lot of time down there, but in reality, we are weekend warriors - not ol' salts living on their place and whose job it is to do everything necessary for the continued success of their operation. Coyotes can be of help to "no sense can't poor piss out of a boot" folks in my position and who think about their positioning.

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: flintknapper] #8788315 01/26/23 12:22 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Looks like a big 'Ol East Texas 'Yote'.

Nearly all of mine look like that.

Hunting Cass county in 1987 while sitting in my tripod thought I saw a big German Shepherd about 100 yards out, when I realized it was a huge coyote I could not get my gun on it quick enough. hammer

Last edited by Stub; 01/26/23 12:23 PM.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: don k] #8788484 01/26/23 03:58 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

You and BoBo both remind me of a few supposedly really smart folks I know. At least according to themselves. They talk a good story but don't have the sense to poor piss out of a boot.

So you cant actually counter anything I said. Got it, might check your own boots first… cheers

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: Texas Dan] #8788610 01/26/23 06:50 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Forget the deer. Kill all the yotes and what is going to keep the mice, rats and rabbits in check?

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: Hudbone] #8788617 01/26/23 07:05 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Forget the deer. Kill all the yotes and what is going to keep the mice, rats and rabbits in check?

Hawks, falcons, owls.....snakes....skunks.....should I continue?

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: stxranchman] #8788624 01/26/23 07:11 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Hawks, falcons, owls.....snakes....skunks.....STX….should I continue?

Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: Texas Dan] #8788643 01/26/23 07:26 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
well tie me down to an ant hill and butter my ears with jam.

Last edited by Hudbone; 01/26/23 07:26 PM.
Re: He hasn’t been missing any meals [Re: Texas Dan] #8789282 01/27/23 04:07 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
plus you will never kill all the yotes ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide