Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Wilson Combat] #8768701 12/28/22 05:08 PM
E
eriic Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
Originally Posted by eriic
What suppressors are you guys running on your 16" HAMRs? I just bought mine and curious what cans folks on the forum are running.

WC Quell Ti

I've also got a Dead Air Nomad Ti which I really like too

Have you had a chance to run the Nomad L to see how the rifle handles the backpressure?

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Wilson Combat] #8768712 12/28/22 05:19 PM
L
Liberty Arsenal LLC Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Ranger 1:15 16" ordered conf# 118193753.

Thanks!

Freedom, paid for by the blood of the fallen, taken by the ink of congress!
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8768713 12/28/22 05:19 PM
T
TxPigKiller Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Congratulations on the Golden Bullseye Award Bill! I can't think of anyone more deserving.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: eriic] #8768757 12/28/22 06:44 PM
OddJob94 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Silencerco Chimera for me.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8768785 12/28/22 07:27 PM
D
duffas Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Cajun, too much neck tension. Get a larger expander.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8768999 12/29/22 01:42 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Congratulations!

The 2023 NRA Golden Bullseye Awards Pioneer Recipient is Bill Wilson

Wilson Combat is pleased to announce that Bill Wilson, Founder and President of Wilson Combat is the 2023 National Rifle Association Golden Bullseye Awards Pioneer recipient.

The NRA's Pioneer Award spotlights the exemplary achievement and cumulative body of work of an individual, or members of a family, team or partnership, responsible for the development and introduction of shooting equipment that has made a profound, positive and enduring impact on the way Americans shoot and hunt.

Wilson is the founder and President of Wilson Combat of Berryville, AR. Since 1977, Wilson Combat has been a leader in the field of high performance 1911 custom pistols, handgun accessories, AR-15 pattern rifles and countless other firearms products developed for the serious practical shooter, law enforcement, hunting and military applications. In its history, Wilson Combat has gone from being a modest 1911 customizer to a state of the art, fully integrated firearms design and manufacturing facility with over 200 employees and multiple brands under its umbrella in Arkansas and Texas. "People sometimes ask me, what is the secret to your success in business? In business, or any endeavour, whether it is competition, shooting or business, it takes vision, determination and tenacity. You have to work hard at it. You have to be willing to take risks and you have to be able to take advantage of opportunities when they become available to you". - Bill Wilson

Initially known for its industry leading accessories like legendary 1911 pistol magazines, parts and barrels, Wilson Combat has produced firearms that are a top choice for champion shooters, defensive firearms experts and the well informed private citizen for decades. The in-house designed EDC X9 series of defensive handguns is one of the most successful handguns in its price range. In-house custom 1911, shotgun and AR rifle production has been augmented by industry collaborations with Beretta USA and SIG-SAUER that have elevated the performance of production handguns using Wilson designed and manufactured parts.

In addition to the significant growth at Wilson Combat, Wilson also owns and manages firearms accessory maker Chip McCormick Custom, high performance bullet manufacturer Lehigh Defense, and most recently acquired the assets of Melvin Forbes’ New Ultralight Arms, which promises to bring some of the highest quality, lightest weight bolt action hunting rifles back to the marketplace.

In 1996, at the onset of the meteoric rise of legalized concealed carry in the United States, Wilson became the guiding force behind the International Defensive Pistol Association, a competitive shooting association dedicated to the oversight of defensive shooting competition focused on real-world scenarios using practical handguns that currently boasts over 25,000 members in over 70 countries.

Bill Wilson’s legacy has raised the bar of high performance, practical firearms worldwide. In his visible role as a competitor, hunter, author, gunsmith, manufacturer and developer of some of the most innovative arms and accessories, Wilson has always been a staunch advocate of the National Rifle Association and its focus on preserving the inalienable right of the people to Keep and Bear Arms as enshrined in the Second Amendment of The United States Constitution. "Our gun rights are cherished and important civil liberties and I am extremely humbled to be honored by the NRA with this award. No organization has done more for the American gun owner than the NRA and I am proud to stand with them in their fight to preserve our right to keep and bear arms"- Bill Wilson.

Congratulations Bill!

Last edited by DLALLDER; 12/29/22 01:43 AM.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8769013 12/29/22 02:06 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Congratulations Bill, well deserved.

Much respect.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8769198 12/29/22 01:26 PM
L
Liberty Arsenal LLC Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Very nice Bill, congratulations! That is a hell of an accomplishment and very well deserved.

Freedom, paid for by the blood of the fallen, taken by the ink of congress!
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: eriic] #8769823 12/30/22 02:58 AM
P
Parkinj Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
What suppressors are you guys running on your 16" HAMRs? I just bought mine and curious what cans folks on the forum are running.

WC Quell Ti

Have you had a chance to run the Nomad L to see how the rifle handles the backpressure?

I'm running a Nomad L on my 16" Ham'r but I have my gas turned off because I don't like searching for brass and the woods are so thick here that you can only get one shot before everything disappears into the thick stuff. If I think about it, I will fire it with the gas turned on and report back. I can say that Nomad L does a great job of noise and recoil reduction.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Parkinj] #8770072 12/30/22 02:37 PM
T
TxPigKiller Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
"I'm running a Nomad L on my 16" Ham'r but I have my gas turned off because I don't like searching for brass and the woods are so thick here that you can only get one shot before everything disappears into the thick stuff. If I think about it, I will fire it with the gas turned on and report back. I can say that Nomad L does a great job of noise and recoil reduction."

One of the best things I add to my AR builds is a brass catcher. I can highly recommend the TacStar but there are several flavors out there and they are all inexpensive and will save you hours of searching for brass. I'm using a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 suppressor and can also highly recommend it.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: eriic] #8770119 12/30/22 03:36 PM
J
JWLaxton Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J

WC Quell Ti

I didn't have trouble with it on my 16" with a fixed gas block. I prefer to tune the gas for shooting suppressed, using SLR adjustable gas blocks or Black River Tactical gas tubes which restrict the gas. I've tried the Nomad 30, Nomad Ti, Nomad L, Nomad LT, Vox S, Vox K, Omega 300, Chimera, TBAC Ultra 7, and TBAC Dominus. While they are all good suppressors, I liked the Nomad Ti best. It is a good length using direct thread or a Plan A adapter, lightweight and suppresses well. I've thought about trying a Wilson Combat suppressor, but waiting on build time plus stamp time is more than I've been willing to deal with. I also prefer the HUB 1.375x24 back end to allow more flexibility for mounts.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Parkinj] #8770123 12/30/22 03:44 PM
J
JWLaxton Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Originally Posted by Parkinj

WC Quell Ti

I'm running a Nomad L on my 16" Ham'r but I have my gas turned off because I don't like searching for brass and the woods are so thick here that you can only get one shot before everything disappears into the thick stuff. If I think about it, I will fire it with the gas turned on and report back. I can say that Nomad L does a great job of noise and recoil reduction.

For Mil Spec Lowers, I've had good luck with the Brass Goat. The best brass catcher I've found is the one made by Tactical Brass Recovery.
Tactical Brass Recovery

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Parkinj] #8770191 12/30/22 05:47 PM
E
eriic Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
Originally Posted by Parkinj

WC Quell Ti

Got it. I think I’ll just run my OSS/Huxwrx 7.62 on it first and see how she handles. Seems like the logical way to go unless I want to throw an adjustable gas block on it.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: eriic] #8770234 12/30/22 07:19 PM
Wilson Combat Online Content
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
It's really hard to get a 16" or longer mid or intermediate gas 300 HAM'R over gassed to the point that it's not reliable. If the gun is gassed properly with no suppressor, normally just adding a heavier buffer and spring will tame them down when you add a suppressor.

Personally I actually like my guns set-up slightly over gassed and then run heavy buffer springs. This makes for a more reliable gun when it's cold and/or the gun is dirty and dry. I've never trusted a AR-15 to go into battery reliably with a stock Mil-Spec buffer spring when temps are below 20 F.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8770372 12/30/22 11:29 PM
H
Huntinherrington Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I run a Bower Vers 375 on my daughters WC rifle. Brass Ejects to 4 O'clock.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: JWLaxton] #8770843 12/31/22 03:06 PM
T
TxPigKiller Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
[/quote]

For Mil Spec Lowers, I've had good luck with the Brass Goat. The best brass catcher I've found is the one made by Tactical Brass Recovery.
Tactical Brass Recovery[/quote]

Wow...for $240 I would think that would be the best brass catcher in the universe! I think I paid $25 for my TacStar.

One benefit of a brass catcher that is often overlooked is it vents the ejection port gas up and away from the shooters face. I suspect it also reduces the blast noise and would love to see the with and without numbers if someone has access to a db meter.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: TxPigKiller] #8770981 12/31/22 07:26 PM
J
JWLaxton Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Originally Posted by TxPigKiller
[/quote]

Tactical Brass Recovery

Wow...for $240 I would think that would be the best brass catcher in the universe! I think I paid $25 for my TacStar.

One benefit of a brass catcher that is often overlooked is it vents the ejection port gas up and away from the shooters face. I suspect it also reduces the blast noise and would love to see the with and without numbers if someone has access to a db meter.[/quote]

It may not be worth it for many, and you have to save a lot of brass to pay for it. I agree about them reducing blast noise and helping to vent gas away from your face. I tried the TacStar, and multiple others. I thought I paid more in the neighborhood of $40 for the TacStar, but I'm not sure. It worked on some of my setups, but not others. For the TBR one in the link, as long as your first rail segment is within 8.25" of the tip of your shell deflector, it is good. If you're doing some tuning on a gas block, or for some reason shooting to verify the bolt locks back on an empty, it swings out without removing it. It is also pretty rugged for use while in the woods. I wish it would have been the first one I tried, vs the last. As it was, I probably could have more than paid for it with all the cheaper ones I tried. I have several rifles set up with different optics and handguards, and it works for everything I shoot except one old Wilson Combat 5.56 AR15, which I believe was one of the first ones they made. The handguard has picatinny rail on the top and bottom, a little bit on the sides at the front, but doesn't have any way to attach additional rail segments on the side. Ironically, it is so old that nobody at Wilson Combat knew how to get it off when I asked. To remove it I'll have to take a pipe wrench to it, and possibly a cutoff wheel to remove most of the handguard. I don't shoot it much anyway, and the brass goat works fine on it.

As for the Nomad L, I might not have been clear in my earlier response that it works on one I have that has both a fixed gas block, and standard gas tube. I think I have one of the older flat wire springs in it, that Wilson Combat doesn't sell anymore. The one they sell now isn't as stiff. I think too many people couldn't get it to work on unsuppressed rifles, and didn't know they could clip it. It's too bad because I liked the older spring. I think I have a standard 3 oz carbine buffer in it. Eventually I'll go back and tune it to run exclusively suppressed, like I have most of my rifles. I keep a thermal scope on that rifle, and it is pretty quiet, especially for others around me.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8771771 01/01/23 10:41 PM
E
eriic Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
Yup, mine is also an exclusive thermal rig but I think I'm just moving away from the Nomad L altogether because of the obscene back pressure it creates. Appreciate the insights.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8772956 01/03/23 05:18 PM
A
allenintexas Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
Hello All, new this forum, I found it this morning looking for information on the 300 Ham'r and boy did I find some. I really enjoyed reading the posts,I read for a good long while and then realized... I had only read page 1 of 122 (or so)! So I just registered and jumped to the last page and read some more. I'm sure there is a lot more to learn from this thread, and I will read it all eventually, but I just wanted to add my $0.03. (adjusted for inflation).
I watched the you tube video from 4 years ago where Mandy interviewed Bill Wilson about the Ham'r. I made a comment on that video but since it IS 4 years old, I thought I would place that comment here. I hope that's ok.

Here it is...

"I just converted a Daniel Defense DD4 V7 556 to a Ham'r. I used a 15 inch twist barrel, 16" long with your adjustable gas block because am running it suppressed. I bought 2 hundred loaded rounds of the 130 Hot Core, loading dies, CFEBLK powder, 200 rounds of the shiny (nickle) brass and 500 rounds of the 130 Hot Core Bullets. Printed your loading Data so I think I'm all set. Hoping I get groups like you do and I can't wait to try it on one of (a bunch of) our Texas feral hogs. Very nice video even if it is 4 years old. Now I think I need a Wilson Combat 338 Federal. I have 20 rounds of ammo but no rifle lol."

I've not been able to do a lot of testing, I've had a scope problem (since resolved) and the wind won't stop blowing long enough for me to play with it. I have QD scope mounts and I hope to use this as a daytime rifle with the new scope (Leupold) and a night rifle with the XP50. Maybe I'll get to use it soon. One thing, this is the cleanest AR I have. Not sure why but I hope to figure that out so maybe I can get the other rifles shooting as clean.

Can you have too many guns? Dumb question. I think not
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8773218 01/03/23 11:14 PM
OddJob94 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Hornady 150 SST (.300 Savage) is available from Midway USA and Powder Valley currently.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: allenintexas] #8773589 01/04/23 01:10 PM
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by allenintexas
Hello All, new this forum, I found it this morning looking for information on the 300 Ham'r and boy did I find some. I really enjoyed reading the posts,I read for a good long while and then realized... I had only read page 1 of 122 (or so)! So I just registered and jumped to the last page and read some more. I'm sure there is a lot more to learn from this thread, and I will read it all eventually, but I just wanted to add my $0.03. (adjusted for inflation).
I watched the you tube video from 4 years ago where Mandy interviewed Bill Wilson about the Ham'r. I made a comment on that video but since it IS 4 years old, I thought I would place that comment here. I hope that's ok.

Here it is...

"I just converted a Daniel Defense DD4 V7 556 to a Ham'r. I used a 15 inch twist barrel, 16" long with your adjustable gas block because am running it suppressed. I bought 2 hundred loaded rounds of the 130 Hot Core, loading dies, CFEBLK powder, 200 rounds of the shiny (nickle) brass and 500 rounds of the 130 Hot Core Bullets. Printed your loading Data so I think I'm all set. Hoping I get groups like you do and I can't wait to try it on one of (a bunch of) our Texas feral hogs. Very nice video even if it is 4 years old. Now I think I need a Wilson Combat 338 Federal. I have 20 rounds of ammo but no rifle lol."

I've not been able to do a lot of testing, I've had a scope problem (since resolved) and the wind won't stop blowing long enough for me to play with it. I have QD scope mounts and I hope to use this as a daytime rifle with the new scope (Leupold) and a night rifle with the XP50. Maybe I'll get to use it soon. One thing, this is the cleanest AR I have. Not sure why but I hope to figure that out so maybe I can get the other rifles shooting as clean.

Welcome Allen, just put a can or it than you can have a dirty running gun smile

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Wilson Combat] #8773656 01/04/23 02:25 PM
A
allenintexas Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A

Here it is...

Well, that's the thing, it does have a can. A Nomad Dead Air. That's why I mentioned that it was clean. Kinda surprised me.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: allenintexas] #8773765 01/04/23 04:31 PM
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister

Here it is...

Well, that's the thing, it does have a can. A Nomad Dead Air. That's why I mentioned that it was clean. Kinda surprised me.

That's awesome, what lube are you using? I have a Nomad Ti but have only used it on a bolt gun.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8773792 01/04/23 05:03 PM
T
TxPigKiller Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
You're lucky. Mine runs dirty with or without a can!

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Wilson Combat] #8773851 01/04/23 06:19 PM
A
allenintexas Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A

Here it is...

That's awesome, what lube are you using? I have a Nomad Ti but have only used it on a bolt gun.

After I clean the gun I spray it down with one shot and let it dry. But I'm talking about gas residue in the action, dirty cases, in the magazine etc. Whatever the reason, I need to figure it out so maybe I can get my others AR's shooting cleaner. Probably got to do with the powder in the HAM'R and I can't duplicate it.

Page 122 of 153 1 2 120 121 122 123 124 152 153
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide