Print Thread
Chene Gear #8768035 12/27/22 07:45 PM
S
Sinkey Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
I normally wear Sitka stuff and some Drake. But my daughters and wife Im sure, got me a Chene under wader jacket and a thermal hoodie type thing for Christmas. Anybody wear their stuff? Gotta say, its pretty nice.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8768042 12/27/22 07:55 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Never worn it, but have heard its really good stuff

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8768063 12/27/22 08:55 PM
S
stevehong Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
i'm torn on Chene waders, because i want to get a solid color wader - like the sitka earth color.
The biggest issue is that noone ever has my size available, and chene has some but their solid color is black, and not sure how that would work out with flooded timber.

Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8768071 12/27/22 09:03 PM
Twisted Mallard HC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Did they keep you warm?

Come Hunt with us for a great hunt. We can customize our hunts specifically for you.....
www.TwistedMallardHuntingClub.com
Rockie Martin
214-478-5047

Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8768077 12/27/22 09:28 PM
R
RiverRunner Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I have had the waders and wader pants since before last season. Best wader I've worn and warmest wader pant around....needs to be REALLY cold to wear them. Boot on the wader is warmest I've worn as well.

This year I bought their Merino wool pants and shirt, 60 series half zip, and a couple of leisure hoodies. All top notch! The merino wool base layers are great and I am really falling in love with the 60 series half zip! It is warm and comfy. I wore these items this past Friday and Saturday in 12 degree weather, stayed warm the entire time.

Re: Chene Gear [Re: Twisted Mallard HC] #8768085 12/27/22 09:42 PM
S
stevehong Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted by Twisted Mallard HC
Did they keep you warm?

They are uninsulated like Sitka waders, so you have to layer them.

Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8768306 12/28/22 01:49 AM
q-all Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I don’t have any yet but plan to start adding some Chene Gear. I have been all Sitka for a while and Been really happy but my Sitka waders finally took a crap and I plan to replace them with the Chene solid blacks. I do 99% of my hunting in A frame blinds or flooded timber. I think the solid color will do just right.

Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8768320 12/28/22 02:06 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Love the solid Sitkas as well. Have the traditional digital waterfowl pattern

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8768340 12/28/22 02:34 AM
S
Sinkey Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
I’m sure their waders are almost like sitkas. Which my sitkas are on their 3rd season and going strong. The 2 items of Chene I got are similar to the duck over jacket by Sitka and the heavyweight hoody. But the Chene jacket seems a little thinner and a little more ease of movement. Will know more after I hunt in it this weekend.
I did look at Chenes website. Not a lot of clothing. But what they have are the key items and the only Sitka items I wear when I hunt anyways.

Re: Chene Gear [Re: q-all] #8768586 12/28/22 02:39 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted by q-all
I don’t have any yet but plan to start adding some Chene Gear. I have been all Sitka for a while and Been really happy but my Sitka waders finally took a crap and I plan to replace them with the Chene solid blacks. I do 99% of my hunting in A frame blinds or flooded timber. I think the solid color will do just right.

Why are you replacing? Send them in and get them repaired. I am going to add a second pair this off season. First hunt of the season, I put a hole in my sitkas right at the ankle. Filed a claim, 48 hours later had a label to send them back to Sitka. Took about 3 weeks, and I had a tracking number back to be sent back. It clearly states on their website that if there is a punctured hole in the waders, it is a $70 fix. But because mine were so old and had the older boot style, they replaced with the newer boot style free of charge. Went through the entire wader seems and pressure tested them before sending back. My buddy had a small leak in the crotch after years of use, sent his in, redid all the seams. So far.... Sitka has always held up to the "Lifetime warranty" they advertise. No need to replace, just get them sent in during the off season and fixed.

I will say, I bought some cheap waders to get me through the time without my sitkas, I WAS SO GLAD to get them back. Only reason I will be adding a second pair, I am not the easiest on anything related to waterfowl.

Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8768594 12/28/22 02:45 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
As far as Chene gear, they are supposed to be REALLY good and I have heard REALLY good things about their customer service. I read somewhere someone had a pair of waders that finally started leaking, requested a claim to send them in for warranty work. As soon as he shipped them and Chene could verify they were on their way back to them, they sent out a new pair the next day. The guy writing the review stated he was confused because of how quickly he had received a tracking number coming back to him. 2 days later, a box was on his porch, he thought they messed up the label and it would be his waders he was trying to send in for warranty work. Instead he opened the box and it was a brand new pair and a letter stating there is no time to wait for wader warranty works when hunting needed to be done.

Multiple reviews of knarly things happening to their boots and holding up completely and still not leaking. I think they are a top tier company as well giving sitka a run for their money. I just have all sitka stuff, I really like the boot in Sitka and before I ever bought a pair of Chene, I would really like to try a pair on. The boot makes all the difference in the world. As far as breathables, they are not warm, but add a pair of Gradiet pants under them and boy you will not need anything more for warmth. Most early season mornings, I jus wear my grinder pants and that is plenty suffice to keep me warm under the sitka waders.

Re: Chene Gear [Re: flashman252] #8769344 12/29/22 04:35 PM
R
RiverRunner Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by flashman252
As far as Chene gear, they are supposed to be REALLY good and I have heard REALLY good things about their customer service. I read somewhere someone had a pair of waders that finally started leaking, requested a claim to send them in for warranty work. As soon as he shipped them and Chene could verify they were on their way back to them, they sent out a new pair the next day. The guy writing the review stated he was confused because of how quickly he had received a tracking number coming back to him. 2 days later, a box was on his porch, he thought they messed up the label and it would be his waders he was trying to send in for warranty work. Instead he opened the box and it was a brand new pair and a letter stating there is no time to wait for wader warranty works when hunting needed to be done.

Multiple reviews of knarly things happening to their boots and holding up completely and still not leaking. I think they are a top tier company as well giving sitka a run for their money. I just have all sitka stuff, I really like the boot in Sitka and before I ever bought a pair of Chene, I would really like to try a pair on. The boot makes all the difference in the world. As far as breathables, they are not warm, but add a pair of Gradiet pants under them and boy you will not need anything more for warmth. Most early season mornings, I jus wear my grinder pants and that is plenty suffice to keep me warm under the sitka waders.

That story is very similar to mine....towards end of season last year I kicked a sharp stick under the water and put a hole in the boot (do not take this as they aren't tough, as they are, just a right time and wrong place deal). I emailed Chene and had return label within 24hrs. As soon as I dropped them off at UPS store I had confirmation email from Chene, but it was with tracking to my house. 2 days later a brand new pair were on the porch.

They have excellent customer service and great products. Very similar to Sitka and it will become a Ford v Chevy debate in the very near future. Chene doesn't have a ton of gear right now and I'm sure they will be adding, but they are making sure the gear they put out is tested and proven before it goes to market.

As I said earlier; I have the base layer (merino wool), mid layer 60 series half zip, wader pants, the Hydro Lok jacket, and the waders. Only item I am missing from them is the vest, but I am still partial to my Drake wind stopper fleece vests.

Re: Chene Gear [Re: RiverRunner] #8769734 12/30/22 01:27 AM
F
flashman252 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted by RiverRunner
Originally Posted by flashman252

That story is very similar to mine....towards end of season last year I kicked a sharp stick under the water and put a hole in the boot (do not take this as they aren't tough, as they are, just a right time and wrong place deal). I emailed Chene and had return label within 24hrs. As soon as I dropped them off at UPS store I had confirmation email from Chene, but it was with tracking to my house. 2 days later a brand new pair were on the porch.

They have excellent customer service and great products. Very similar to Sitka and it will become a Ford v Chevy debate in the very near future. Chene doesn't have a ton of gear right now and I'm sure they will be adding, but they are making sure the gear they put out is tested and proven before it goes to market.

As I said earlier; I have the base layer (merino wool), mid layer 60 series half zip, wader pants, the Hydro Lok jacket, and the waders. Only item I am missing from them is the vest, but I am still partial to my Drake wind stopper fleece vests.

Agree completely with ford vs chevy. Only reason, and I mean the only reason, I have not bought Chene is because I like the camo marsh pattern from sitka. It just blends in with so many areas I hunt and I flat out disappear. I always giggled at max camo patterns or reeds because most things I hunt are not in any way that pattern.

Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8769756 12/30/22 01:44 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
For solid colors, can't beat simms G3. I've been putting mine through the test long before sitka or Chene came along. Simms will continue to be my wader of choice

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Chene Gear [Re: 2flyfish4] #8769763 12/30/22 01:53 AM
F
flashman252 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
For solid colors, can't beat simms G3. I've been putting mine through the test long before sitka or Chene came along. Simms will continue to be my wader of choice

Which wader?

None of their waders have a boot built into the wader and require a set of wader boots. That wouldn't fly for my style of hunting.

NVM!! I just found the bootfoot waders on their website. Ya not sure I dig these for duck hunting. Although I see the resemblance, I love my zipper on my sitkas at this point. There is nothing better than getting in a layout, unzipping it half way down and not being restricted when wearing waders in the blind. I sit up quicker, I can get to my pockets on my clothing under the waders easier, overall it is just better with that zipper now

Last edited by flashman252; 12/30/22 02:00 AM.
Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8769764 12/30/22 01:54 AM
S
Sinkey Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Being from Arkansas I’ve always worn and been a fan of bottomland pattern. Sitka doesn’t have that. But has great clothing for duck hunting. Chenes stuff is basically identical from what I’ve seen. So if anything it just gives another quality option in clothing and pattern choice.

Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8769772 12/30/22 02:10 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I always liked the wading boot system. A good wading boot fits like a hiking boot. Takes a few more minutes tying them up, but the ankle support and footing is much better in muck and mud compared to boot waders.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8769779 12/30/22 02:17 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
What boot do you wear with them?

Re: Chene Gear [Re: 2flyfish4] #8769781 12/30/22 02:17 AM
F
flashman252 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
I always liked the wading boot system. A good wading boot fits like a hiking boot. Takes a few more minutes tying them up, but the ankle support and footing is much better in muck and mud compared to boot waders.

What about thick nasty sticky mud in the laces after hunts?

Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8769795 12/30/22 02:30 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
The g3 guide boots. Its not a cheap setup, $600 for the waders and the boots were like $250ish or something.

The boots typically last 3-4 years - about 30-35 hunts per year
The waders are on their 10th year, same 30-35 hunts per year. started having minor leaks last year and should have replaced them this last offseason but decided to run them one more season. They will deffiantly need to be replaced after this season as I have many small leaks in them now.

The mud in the boot laces isn't that bad, was never a deal breaker for me. The ankle support and footing in mud from wading boots far outweighs Muddy laces. if it was a deal breaker and I had to have a boot wader chene and sitka would be the choices.

Last edited by 2flyfish4; 12/30/22 02:37 AM.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Chene Gear [Re: Sinkey] #8771759 01/01/23 09:53 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I just got FedEx Label for Sitkas. Finally sprung a leak above boot, closer to knee padding. It’s gotten worst so probably Seam failure I would imagine. Don’t climb barbed wire fences or any real rough stuff w them. 3rd season flawless until now.

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide