Forums46
Topics538,225
Posts9,734,529
Members87,075
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: TP&W Dept. Changes That You Hope For [Re: SapperTitan] #8760400 12/17/22 05:45 PM
BigRon Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
Originally Posted by BigRon
Originally Posted by DocHorton
No AR's for youth hunters 16 and under.

This. We need more kids to get hooked on deer hunting. Getting a 12 year old up early and bundled up to sit in the cold just to watch basket bucks walk by that he's not allowed to shoot is a good way to sour a kid on hunting. Of course it's vital that a bunch of old farts who horn hunt can get bigger deer on their walls.

And for those wanting to mandate "re-education" for those who disagree with their opinions on antler restrictions, maybe we can borrow old "re-education" camps in Siberia comrades?
my 10 yr old son has had to pass 30+ bucks in the last 2 yrs. Some bc they aren’t wide enough and many bc they are too young. This is on Ft Hood public land. He still loves every minute of it. He understands it’s not just about shooting a buck but being patient and waiting for the right buck. Parents and grandparents wanting their kids to be able to shoot anything just bc they are kids is a great way to teach a kid to feel entitled. Make them work for it, teach them patience and that the reward for both will be much greater. If they don’t enjoy just being in the woods with their pops then maybe hunting isn’t their thing. With that said I’m not really against letting youth kill anything but I believe the reward for teaching them patience will go a long way. Maybe meet in the middle and only allow youth to kill any buck on youth weekend and late youth season.

Your points are valid for your kids, my kids and my grandkids. And probably most of the families of the dedicated hunters and outdoorsmen on this forum. But we always took kids hunting(and still do) belonging to extended family members and kids of single moms from church. By the time we took them shooting a couple of times and took them hunting once or twice, that might be all the hunting exposure they get in a season. Most of these kids only got to hunt with us and had never hunted before as it just wasn't affordable to their families or there was no man around to take them. I never noticed any sense of "entitlement" from kids who killed a deer or didn't get to kill a deer.

God is so good to me.
Re: TP&W Dept. Changes That You Hope For [Re: BenBob] #8767419 12/26/22 10:34 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Make STONEWALL COUNTY a two buck County. Bucks in my area outnumber does three to one.

Re: TP&W Dept. Changes That You Hope For [Re: SapperTitan] #8767454 12/26/22 11:30 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

This. We need more kids to get hooked on deer hunting. Getting a 12 year old up early and bundled up to sit in the cold just to watch basket bucks walk by that he's not allowed to shoot is a good way to sour a kid on hunting. Of course it's vital that a bunch of old farts who horn hunt can get bigger deer on their walls.

And for those wanting to mandate "re-education" for those who disagree with their opinions on antler restrictions, maybe we can borrow old "re-education" camps in Siberia comrades?
my 10 yr old son has had to pass 30+ bucks in the last 2 yrs. Some bc they aren’t wide enough and many bc they are too young. This is on Ft Hood public land. He still loves every minute of it. He understands it’s not just about shooting a buck but being patient and waiting for the right buck. Parents and grandparents wanting their kids to be able to shoot anything just bc they are kids is a great way to teach a kid to feel entitled. Make them work for it, teach them patience and that the reward for both will be much greater. If they don’t enjoy just being in the woods with their pops then maybe hunting isn’t their thing. With that said I’m not really against letting youth kill anything but I believe the reward for teaching them patience will go a long way. Maybe meet in the middle and only allow youth to kill any buck on youth weekend and late youth season.

Makes the most sense of anything I have read so far.

Re: TP&W Dept. Changes That You Hope For [Re: don k] #8767518 12/27/22 12:31 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted by don k

Makes the most sense of anything I have read so far.

To me, it's about teaching the kid to make a choice... weighing options. Teaching them that, yes, you can shoot the first thing that walks out, but you'll likely lose the opportunity for a better deer later. Opportunity costs is a hard lesson for a kid to learn.

My daughter took it to heart and on her own accord, passed on some really nice deer over the course of two hunting seasons before finally pulling the trigger at 11 years old. She wanted a buck closer to what dad had on the wall and was willing to wait for it. I was super proud of her voluntary patience.

I'm not sure forced patience teaches a very good lesson, if any lesson at all. I guess it's different for every family, but I agree with no ARs for the youth.

[Linked Image]
Re: TP&W Dept. Changes That You Hope For [Re: BenBob] #8767886 12/27/22 03:49 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I know it's federal and TPWD has no say but I wish you could shoot doves over bait with a bow.

Re: TP&W Dept. Changes That You Hope For [Re: SapperTitan] #8768014 12/27/22 07:10 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

When i was a kid, we hunted in 1 buck only counties, no does allowed. We didn't cry because we couldn't kill one of the many does we would see every hunt. I would have loved to kill a doe but it wasn't legal so we didn't. Didn't slow me down from hunting one bit.

above all, its about what's best for the herd, and AR's have been proven to promote a more balanced herd thru restricting harvest in counties where they are needed.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide