Print Thread
Boots! #8682989 09/07/22 07:14 PM
H
HunterMattW2 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
Joining a friend in New Mexico Unit 51A over Halloween for a mule deer hunt.

I got by on a pheasant hunt last year in South Dakota with a couple pairs of boots, but kind of still kick myself I didn't finally get myself a pair of "life-timers" This time is different, and am using this as the kick but into gear and just buy a pair of really nice boots!

I'm looking for a traditional look. Right now, I'm either going Gokey Supremes or High Prairies -or- Russell South 40's or the like.

That said, I've also looked at the offerings from Schnee, Irish Setter, etc.....I just don't like the look of the modern/high tech/ full blown mountain climber boot, but am aware this could be exactly what is required for this trip to be comfortable and enjoyed to full potential.

I want something that I can still wear bumping around on work weekends, dove hunting, regular leisure hiking with the family. I don't want it to be a do it all scenario, but am I setting myself up for failure with an upland boot, trapsing around the Carson National Forest?

Thoughts, concerns, other brands?

Thanks in advance.

It's hard to feel sorry for someone with one leg who shoots themself in the foot.
Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8683003 09/07/22 07:30 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The upland boots I am aware of lack a lot of ankle support, while they protect that area from brush and stickers and such things, the actual support from the boot is severely lacking for side-hilling, going up and down steep inclines/declines, and traction can be iffy on rock/gravel/skree.

Can they work? yes. Is there better? yes. Do a lot of people just use what they have and suffer? yes.

Just a couple of places to look online and talk to in person: Lathrop and Son's (they will be happy to talk about what your needs are, what you have used int he past, and what would work well for your intended use) and they have a decent selection from their own boot line to several higher end brands; meindl (the one time I called and talked ot them, I was very impressed with the knowledge and information given, and they sell them in retailer online and in person). Some of the other higher end boot manufacturers to consider would be kennetrek, crispi, and even some trail hiking boot makers such as keen or merrell might be worth looking into. Lots of options, and opinions about boots are a lot like what gun to use, everyone has their preference.

But if you don't like the look of the full on mountain boot, then consider a trail hiking boot that is waterproof.

Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8685330 09/11/22 02:13 AM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
I wear boots all day everyday. The best commercial brands like Redwing or Gokey are falling apart in 4 or 5 months. Redwing even gave me free boots because they wanted to see how fast I wore them out. The boots that last me the longest are the surplus Danner USMC RAT boots and only the Danners. The Bates or Welco brand ones are nowhere close to the same. The Danners last me about 8 months and I have worn them everywhere you can think of. They are also only $70 for new in the box vs $280 to $500.

Trolling? Heck no, I meant every word of it.

Did y'all know that Bee'z The Beedazzler invented driving much faster than the posted speed limit on Hwy 121 in the early 2000s?
Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8685402 09/11/22 04:46 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Schnees make a good boot, as does Danner. Also Look at Crispi, zamberlans and Kennetreks. Lowa also makes a great boot.

There is no one true “do-all” but I would think you could find one that would fit your needs. My business partner hunted most of his life ( alot of mountain hunts too ) in a pair of Danner pronghorns. I use Kennetrek mountain extremes due to the waterproof rand, as well as it holding up better to scuffs on the toe, but the mountain guide may be what your looking for.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8686080 09/12/22 03:28 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I don't know a coupe of the brands you've mentioned. And i have never worn the ones you mentioned that I've heard of. Nor have I ever hunted in any place you've mentioned. BUT, form over function.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8686286 09/12/22 02:41 PM
H
HunterMattW2 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
Yeah, I'm still torn, all good points there. My cheapness is ruling this affair so far, I feel if I'm spending 3 to 600 dollars, I'm gonna dang be sure I can wear them at will after this trip (5 days max) and not just send them to the hunting tub in storage till next time an opportunity comes to hunt/hike in the mountains.

We could be bumping around sagebrush plateaus just like bird hunting just as easily as if we were in a hunting show way up steep and high in a meadow back country, so I guess I'm looking to the mountain hunters for advice, even for a short stint like this example.

If I'm setting myself up for abject failure by trying to make upland boots work in the mountains, even for just a few days, I'll heavily reconsider.

I have to spend the coin on boots either way, but unfortunately, both are not an option, and just not convinced yet I must have the Kennetrek, Crispi, etc style hunting boot.

Heck, I could bring out the old football ankle wraps if that is the biggest concern between footwear for this kind of venture.

It's hard to feel sorry for someone with one leg who shoots themself in the foot.
Re: Boots! [Re: Mickey Moose] #8686322 09/12/22 03:28 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
...form over function.

I intended to type function over form! Oops.

Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8686324 09/12/22 03:30 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by HunterMattW2
...and just not convinced yet I must have the Kennetrek, Crispi, etc style hunting boot.

Which models are you looking at?

Kenetrek. One 'n'.

Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8686327 09/12/22 03:35 PM
H
HunterMattW2 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H

Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8691463 09/20/22 12:29 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Those will work, if that’s what you want. Better hurry though. Take a few miles to break in.

Boots really vary in how and where you are hunting. If you are side hilling steep stuff or bivy camping daily then boots require a touch more support, compared to say hunting from truck or with out fitter

If you really like the flexible sole. There are a ton of options.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8691472 09/20/22 12:40 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Russell's has been sold. 2nd worst "custom" order I've ever experienced. 'Wound up canceling. 'Couldn't get their act together. 1st was a knife maker on here. Got my knife, but what a PITA.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Boots! [Re: Creekrunner] #8691484 09/20/22 12:56 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Russell's has been sold. 2nd worst "custom" order I've ever experienced. 'Wound up canceling. 'Couldn't get their act together. 1st was a knife maker on here. Got my knife, but what a PITA.

I’ve heard the same on Russell’s

Op if you just want a pair of decent hiking boots that aren’t overly stiff, don’t have a rand, but still have decent lateral support, the lowa renegades are fairly inexpensive and would double for upland.

https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-lowa-lowa-renegade-mid-waterproof-hiking-boots/4078-3109454554.html

This is another good flexible boot

https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-crispi-lapponia-ii-gtx-hunting-boots/15285-4955-6000.html

My favorite all around boot is the leather line non GTX Hanwag Yukon. It’s alittle stiffer and a little heavier, but durability wise I’m on 3rd resole. So probably over 400 miles. Elk to probighorn to pheasants it’s my go too

https://shop.gohunt.com/products/hanwag-yukon?variant=41807988850882

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8691499 09/20/22 01:08 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Own 2 pair of Lowa's. 'Can't go wrong. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Boots! [Re: Creekrunner] #8691505 09/20/22 01:16 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Own 2 pair of Lowa's. 'Can't go wrong. up

Hanwag and Lowa where started by competing brothers. Talk about tough Christmas.

Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8691834 09/20/22 03:58 PM
H
HunterMattW2 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
Thanks for the heads up and continued rec's.

I went with a pair of Schnee's; the Timberline.

Figured I'd jump in with a pair of boots that will do me absolutely well, and not just make work, and now have an excellent pair.

Started breaking them in this past weekend dove hunting. Wow, they are comfortable right out of the box and feel great about my choice.

I still want a pair of Russell's or the like....old school lace up moc style like the old timers wore, but will save that for another year.

Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8691851 09/20/22 04:15 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Figured I'd jump in with a pair of boots that will do me absolutely well, and not just make work, and now have an excellent pair.

Started breaking them in this past weekend dove hunting. Wow, they are comfortable right out of the box and feel great about my choice.

I still want a pair of Russell's or the like....old school lace up moc style like the old timers wore, but will save that for another year.

Great boot, made for Schnees by Gronell. Gronell is a great boot maker. I ran gornell before going to
Hanwag

Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8694187 09/23/22 08:14 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

You'll be happy. I've got a pair of the Schnee's Beartooth that I have been very impressed with.

Re: Boots! [Re: Creekrunner] #8722188 10/30/22 07:05 PM
J
Jstocks Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J

X2

I ran into issues with Russel’s as well. Finally had to just return the boots and get my money back…even though I requested a different boot they just couldn’t make it happen.

Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8722959 10/31/22 07:33 PM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
The American made/union made Danner’s have treated me well.

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8725580 11/03/22 05:00 PM
T
TXHunter0619 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
T
I just got back from New Mexico a few weeks back. Used Kenetrek's, really solid performance. Lots of deadfall from burns where we were and you def want something that will keep your ankle stiff in that type of country. Hope it helps. Either way, make sure you get some miles on em around the neighborhood before you go!

tough times don't last, tough people do
Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8731005 11/10/22 12:02 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I have a pair of Danners that are 20 yrs old at least, that I wear in the river bottoms hunting. They have countless miles on them in the Mountains where I lived for those years. Had them resoled a couple years ago and the guy working them was impressed with the leather's condition. Always been a fan of Danner.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Boots! [Re: HunterMattW2] #8758517 12/15/22 02:55 PM
E
Elkivory2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
I bit the bullet a few years ago and bought a pair of Crispi boots for elk hunting and for a 65-mile backpacking trip to the Bob Marshal Wilderness area in Montana with my son and one of his buddies. They were worth the money. Whatever brand you choose, buy them months in advance and wear them until they are as comfortable as your favorite cowboy boots.

Re: Boots! [Re: Elkivory2] #8758525 12/15/22 03:02 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Elkivory2
I bit the bullet a few years ago and bought a pair of Crispi boots for elk hunting and for a 65-mile backpacking trip to the Bob Marshal Wilderness area in Montana with my son and one of his buddies. They were worth the money.

No doubt, my Crispi Hunter GTX have been excellent.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide