Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms #8701787 10/04/22 10:00 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Well, I submitted a Form 1 for an SBR today, and am using the 24 month exception to providing fingerprints, etc. ( 27 CFR 479.63(c) for anyone who wants to look it up).

Will report back as to whether or not they still insist on fingerprints with my application.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries - but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: Uncle Zeek] #8702151 10/05/22 01:25 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
What I find really strange about the fingerprint requirement is that they don't even attempt to run them, they just file them away. I guess they believe it is a deterrence.

Out of curiosity I Googled how to fake fingerprints and found dozens of places that sold tiny laminate films that stick to your fingers that will give false fingerprints when you either use ink or a digital format for recording them. I guess if the government really wanted things to be foolproof they would take a DNA sample or a retina scan. What's even more bizarre about the NFA is that we're forced to deal with a bureaucracy that is stuck in the 1930s. We should really only be required to pay a $200 transfer tax at the point of sale just like states do sales tax but we all know the purpose of the transfer tax wasn't to raise revenue, it was simply to impose a financial burden on potential customers to encourage us not to buy NFA items. I can't really think of another constitutional right that has a tax applied to it.

Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: blkt2] #8702189 10/05/22 02:07 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by blkt2
What I find really strange about the fingerprint requirement is that they don't even attempt to run them, they just file them away. I guess they believe it is a deterrence.

Out of curiosity I Googled how to fake fingerprints and found dozens of places that sold tiny laminate films that stick to your fingers that will give false fingerprints when you either use ink or a digital format for recording them. I guess if the government really wanted things to be foolproof they would take a DNA sample or a retina scan. What's even more bizarre about the NFA is that we're forced to deal with a bureaucracy that is stuck in the 1930s. We should really only be required to pay a $200 transfer tax at the point of sale just like states do sales tax but we all know the purpose of the transfer tax wasn't to raise revenue, it was simply to impose a financial burden on potential customers to encourage us not to buy NFA items. I can't really think of another constitutional right that has a tax applied to it.

I sent in my prints in 2012 for a suppressor.
I sent in my prints in 2019 for a suppressor.
I sent in my prints in 2019 for an FFL.

"Hey, how many times do yall need em?"

They are not going to give up the revenue. Fine, I'll pay the $200 at point of sale, and walk out with my muffler the same day I decided to buy another one. Run a background check, just like a firearm and be done with it. This whole thing is absolutely stupid!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: Uncle Zeek] #8702416 10/05/22 07:55 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Well, I submitted a Form 1 for an SBR today, and am using the 24 month exception to providing fingerprints, etc. ( 27 CFR 479.63(c) for anyone who wants to look it up).

Will report back as to whether or not they still insist on fingerprints with my application.

Form 1's for a SBR run about 40 days. What wait to send them? They only run a comparison if there is an issue with identification anyway.

Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: ntxtrapper] #8702479 10/05/22 10:05 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Form 1's for a SBR run about 40 days. What wait to send them? They only run a comparison if there is an issue with identification anyway.

Oh, already got confirmation today that they want the fingerprint cards. The agent I spoke with told me that they only exempt sending in the trust documents.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries - but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: Uncle Zeek] #8702506 10/05/22 10:35 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Oh, already got confirmation today that they want the fingerprint cards. The agent I spoke with told me that they only exempt sending in the trust documents.

You can go to a Silencer Shop kiosk and get live scanned then order them forever for 15 bucks already printed. I found it easier than inking up and making new ones.

Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: Uncle Zeek] #8702784 10/06/22 11:36 AM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I'm having a problem with the BATF now because my closest friend was on my NFA trust and two things have happened. He died three years ago of brain cancer and because of that shooting in Sutherland Springs the military has turned all of their medical records over to the FBI and they found out that my friend was put on Prozac for a few months by a counselor in the military when him and his wife lost an infant. They're telling me because of a psych history he is now considered a prohibited person and I'm telling them that he is dead and I can't provide fingerprints for him anymore. In the meantime I've got a rifle that I paid for a year and a half ago sitting in NFA jail.

Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: blkt2] #8702805 10/06/22 12:32 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
I'm having a problem with the BATF now because my closest friend was on my NFA trust and two things have happened. He died three years ago of brain cancer and because of that shooting in Sutherland Springs the military has turned all of their medical records over to the FBI and they found out that my friend was put on Prozac for a few months by a counselor in the military when him and his wife lost an infant. They're telling me because of a psych history he is now considered a prohibited person and I'm telling them that he is dead and I can't provide fingerprints for him anymore. In the meantime I've got a rifle that I paid for a year and a half ago sitting in NFA jail.

You can just edit the trust and take him off. This doesn’t help you on this particular submission, but in the future just take him off the trust.

[Linked Image]

Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: KRoyal] #8702815 10/06/22 12:49 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
^^^ I did that already and they still can't get it through their heads that he's dead and gone and no longer a trustee or whatever you call members of a trust. This only came to light a few weeks ago and they never got around to telling me 14 months ago that they knew there was a problem that had to be resolved. What's really crappy about the deal is that he was law enforcement and rank in an East Texas Sheriff's Department before his passing. Who would have thought that he had been a prohibited person since the '90s. Gun laws and bureaucracy in general drives me up the wall. I'd be willing to let gangs have machine guns to kill each other with just to no longer have to deal with the feds when it comes to my obsession/hobbies. I used to build high-end model rockets and quit because I got tired of the feds believing the rocket engines I used were illegal explosives despite me being completely above board about everything I did.

Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: Uncle Zeek] #8702830 10/06/22 01:01 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Gotcha, yea nothing makes sense when it comes to the Feds.

[Linked Image]

Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: KRoyal] #8702869 10/06/22 01:43 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Gotcha, yea nothing makes sense when it comes to the Feds.

You have no idea how crazy they can be. I along with a half a dozen other people got to get detained once at a rocket shoot while agents dug through all of our gear trying to find a reason to arrest us. You should have seen the look on their faces when they went digging through my truck and found a full auto hk g3 along with my trust paperwork and a copy of the stamp. FYI they performed illegal searches on everyone's vehicles despite our protest. I think what freaked them out the most once they figured out that I was legit was the tax stamp is nearly as old as I am.

Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: blkt2] #8703003 10/06/22 06:51 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog

Give me a call. My number is in my sig line.

Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: Uncle Zeek] #8740642 11/23/22 01:33 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
well, just got the approved form in today's email. 50 day turnaround time - big improvement over the previous one, which was about five months.

Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: Uncle Zeek] #8740646 11/23/22 01:39 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If you would have just submitted with trust it would have been alot shorter. I think I got one in 10 days. Now you have to submit trust anyway and not forget, better to just do it up front for most ppl.

Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: jeepercreeper] #8740652 11/23/22 01:47 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by jeepercreeper
If you would have just submitted with trust it would have been alot shorter. I think I got one in 10 days. Now you have to submit trust anyway and not forget, better to just do it up front for most ppl.

That was e-filing with my trust, and I didn't forget. Was seeing what effect it has on approval time if you use the 24 month exception in the statute.

Now that it's approved, I'll amend/restate the trust and scan the amended docs for future applications.

Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: J.G.] #8741812 11/24/22 11:25 PM
S
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by J.G.

They are not going to give up the revenue. Fine, I'll pay the $200 at point of sale, and walk out with my muffler the same day I decided to buy another one. Run a background check, just like a firearm and be done with it. This whole thing is absolutely stupid!

I didn't read the entire thread....stopped here!

Amen!!

My job requires me to have a full blown Homeland security background check every 5 years, prints and all! I feel that I should be able to show my little card that's in my pocket at all times (with my picture on it) and buy a dang suppressor! They already know everything about me!

In these times , 'I'll keep my God , my freedom , my gun and my money. Anyone that supports this insanity can keep "THE CHANGE".
Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: Uncle Zeek] #8741863 11/25/22 01:27 AM
Uncle Zeek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
. . . and here's why I was waiting for the tax stamp. Fun on a bun!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: testing out the 24 month exception for ATF e-forms [Re: Stickchunker] #8741873 11/25/22 01:43 AM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Stickchunker
Originally Posted by J.G.

I didn't read the entire thread....stopped here!

Amen!!

My job requires me to have a full blown Homeland security background check every 5 years, prints and all! I feel that I should be able to show my little card that's in my pocket at all times (with my picture on it) and buy a dang suppressor! They already know everything about me!

If you were with DHS/ICE, I probably adjudicated your background investigation/security clearance at least once. I feel the same way...prints are prints, but, yes, we actually do(did) run them again every 5 yrs. I'm retired military and recently retired DHS. Our government loves redundancy!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide