Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Let THF Decide #8728119 11/07/22 05:11 AM
P
Paralax22 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
So a very close friend of mine has a 8 year old who shot a spike last year for his first Deer. Very rough year so far on his place for who knows how many reasons. Drought and more! Great Bucks year after year and the biggest of 15 years was taken last year but, the one below is the best showing up this year and he asked me today if he should let his son take him. I suggested he does not but it is also not my place or child. His son wants him so bad that dad is questioning his own ways of hunting at the means for his son harvesting a better one than last year. I told him let’s let the Forum decide and he can make that call as we have plenty of season left and you never know what will show.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

JD

�Living Life One Round At A Time�
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728121 11/07/22 05:14 AM
P
Paralax22 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
I see a lot of potential in this Deer and would like to see him let it walk. I think he will thank me two years from now if so!

JD

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728122 11/07/22 05:19 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
I've made a similar mistake with my son and I say let the kid enjoy hunting and shoot the buck if he wants. It's supposed to be fun. We deer managers have taken too much fun out of hunting now in the name of, "He needs another year." rifle

[Linked Image]
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: kry226] #8728125 11/07/22 05:24 AM
P
Paralax22 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
Originally Posted by kry226
I've made a similar mistake with my son and I say let the kid enjoy hunting and shoot the buck if he wants. It's supposed to be fun. We deer managers have taken too much fun out of hunting now in the name of, "He needs another year." rifle

SPOT ON to what my buddy said when I told him to let it walk.

JD

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728168 11/07/22 12:44 PM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Not our decision. That should be a father's decision IMO.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: NDN98] #8728190 11/07/22 01:05 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by NDN98
Not our decision. That should be a father's decision IMO.

Exactly. Dad is overthinking it. World peace is not at stake.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728208 11/07/22 01:35 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I would probably pass on the buck, not only because he could use one more year or two but because my kid could too.

My opinion only…..parents push/let kids start deer hunting ( really deer shooting because most kids can’t do anything else other than pull the trigger at that age) too early and disregard other steps they used to come before it. 8 year olds need to be shooting rabbits and squirrels at that age and learning how to be quiet in the woods. When I see kids that still need help getting dressed in the mornings shooting big deer, I think it’s more for dad than it is for the kid.

Once I let my kids start hunting in earnest I let them go and didn’t restrict what they shot ( as long as the deer was mature, I always held them to that standard after their first buck) but at 8 years old imo it’s a tad early to let them kill deer like that.

Again, it’s just my opinion

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: kry226] #8728210 11/07/22 01:38 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

So at what point does 'fun' go to the detriment of the deer herd, good stewardship of the resources and responsible management?

If the Kid (all of 8 years old) can't have 'Fun' just getting to go hunting, take a slightly better (representative animal of the property) and be happy with that....then I submit Dad needs to have a talk with him.

IMO, new hunters (of any age) should 'climb the ladder' and learn to appreciate the experience (over the animal taken). More likely the 8 yr old REALLY wants to get that buck so he can post it on Social Media or garner some praise from friends.....or Grandpaw/other than he really understands what it took to make it all happen.

Yes, the entire hunting experience and outing should be 'fun' for the Lad (and for Dad) but if that can't be accomplished taking a lesser buck, then something is missing.

Last edited by flintknapper; 11/07/22 01:40 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: txtrophy85] #8728214 11/07/22 01:44 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I would probably pass on the buck, not only because he could use one more year or two but because my kid could too.

My opinion only…..parents push/let kids start deer hunting ( really deer shooting because most kids can’t do anything else other than pull the trigger at that age) too early and disregard other steps they used to come before it. 8 year olds need to be shooting rabbits and squirrels at that age and learning how to be quiet in the woods. When I see kids that still need help getting dressed in the mornings shooting big deer, I think it’s more for dad than it is for the kid.

Once I let my kids start hunting in earnest I let them go and didn’t restrict what they shot but at 8 years old imo it’s a tad early to let them kill deer like that.

Again, it’s just my opinion

and it's one that is concurred with here. An 8 year old. Living off what daddy provides. Could happen to me with grandkids if only I am about to die and selfishly (strong word I know) want to see the look on their faces. Otherwise, they will be taught success is earned and not given to them. Nothing wrong with waiting one's time.

I'll never forget the 17year old on the mgt hunt at the Chittum - found a great mgt buck and the kiddoe said I have shot bigger deer with my daddy. A big boom immediately followed and it wasn't from the kiddoe's rifle.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728215 11/07/22 01:45 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Sure are a lot of assumptions about other people’s kids here. Until that boy can hunt alone, the decision is the father’s. THF won’t decide, Dad will.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728216 11/07/22 01:46 PM
L
Limit Extender Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I've passed on a lot of deer that I never saw the following year. If he's a legal buck, which he is, I would let the kid shoot it. Tomorrow ain't guaranteed.......for anyone.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728231 11/07/22 02:09 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Patience is part of hunting. I'm with txtrophy85 and Hudbone on this one. I would not give my son a Corvette at 17 either. Life is just not that easy. Hunting should contribute to the learning experience of growing up.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728239 11/07/22 02:27 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
8 is to young.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728251 11/07/22 02:33 PM
Ol Thumper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I may be thinking differently than most but if the kids put the seat time in I’d let him shoot that deer in a heartbeat. A trophy is in the eye of the beholder and my best memories with my dad were a small 6 and 8 point looking back. Memories and excitement levels are what makes a trophy not the rack size so much but a deer that size would elevate that tremendously in my mind. I’m all about killing big deer but in a kids view it’s not the same thing I use to judge a trophy. I think we’ve lost our way when it comes to hunting with kids and what we see as adults with decades of experience opposed to what a kid see’s in their mind. We’ve become so obsessed with mature large racked deer we’ve lost the viewpoint of a young hunter. At the end of the day it comes down to the adult overseeing the hunt but I think we need to step back at some point and think about hunting from a kids viewpoint and stop looking at the age and rack size of the deer.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728253 11/07/22 02:34 PM
S
Southtexas36 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
For a first buck, heck yea I'd let my kid shoot. There's time afterwards to train them on trophy hunting.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728258 11/07/22 02:37 PM
S
Savage243 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
If you are managing thousands of acres, then consider letting him walk. If you are on a couple hundred, then they should take him if he wants him. Losing that deer won't be detrimental to the herd because there will be one less mouth to feed.

The way I see it is.....that deer can get hung in a fence, get hit by a truck, eaten by coyotes or shot by someone else. (Heck, we aren't guaranteed tomorrow, much less next year). There are zero guarantees that the deer will make it "another year". I am fully aware of the "well if you shoot him now, there is a zero percent chance he survives" argument.

Point is do what you want on your property and if you do shoot him you don't have to post it on here or anywhere and no one will know he's dead but you and the taxidermist. Hunting is fun and if the kid can hold and shoot a gun then I say go for it! (if you want)

Also, the whole "my first deer was a doe or cull, so yours has to be that way" sentiment never made sense to me at all. I hope my daughters first buck is a dang 150" hill country monster! To each there own I suppose...........

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: kry226] #8728267 11/07/22 02:49 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I think it’s more about amount of opportunity where you are.

I personally would have my kids pass on that exact deer. With that said we have alot more options, both in older age classes and younger that have far less potential

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Savage243] #8728275 11/07/22 03:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Savage243
If you are managing thousands of acres, then consider letting him walk. If you are on a couple hundred, then they should take him if he wants him. Losing that deer won't be detrimental to the herd because there will be one less mouth to feed.

The way I see it is.....that deer can get hung in a fence, get hit by a truck, eaten by coyotes or shot by someone else. (Heck, we aren't guaranteed tomorrow, much less next year). There are zero guarantees that the deer will make it "another year". I am fully aware of the "well if you shoot him now, there is a zero percent chance he survives" argument.

Point is do what you want on your property and if you do shoot him you don't have to post it on here or anywhere and no one will know he's dead but you and the taxidermist. Hunting is fun and if the kid can hold and shoot a gun then I say go for it! (if you want)

Also, the whole "my first deer was a doe or cull, so yours has to be that way" sentiment never made sense to me at all. I hope my daughters first buck is a dang 150" hill country monster! To each there own I suppose...........

Well the deer in question may be a 150 in 2 years. Your kid will never kill a 150 if they are killing 130 in younger age classes, that’s kind of the conundrum of this thread. If you area scared to let a deer walk because neighbors you are that neighbor

I personally don’t care what my lease members or their kids fill their tags with. If they are happy with it so be it, but if they complain about never seeing big deer they will quickly get reminded of what they choose to fill tags with. Can’t have it both ways unfortunately

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728277 11/07/22 03:09 PM
J
jphunts6165 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I have a son bugging the fire out of me to let him shoot on but to small yet. I also have a family member in college that helps me with my lease and has become my hunting partner. He can’t afford to pay but he does the work.

That saying part of hunting is luck and the other is work. I have explained, we dont really have a choice to grow big deer, we have to cull out ones that need to go. If he comes out so be it let him shoot it. If A cull comes out let/ make him take it. He will still be happy with it. If not, may need to reevaluate why we are hunting in the first place. To me work is 50 luck is 50. Work it out with the dad as such. Find a happy median. Or if in a two buck county he has to take a cull first. If the bigger deer comes out of the allotment for the dad then so be it.

Both of my shooters this year are busted up big time already. Will have to take a cull. Bad luck. Last year he shot one that was gonna be a monster in a few years.( 2nd deer ever and got excited). He sentence this year he has to shoot a cull lol. One buck county. That’s the way it goes sometimes.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728290 11/07/22 03:25 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
If you set a precedent at age 8 that the next buck, harvest, etc will always be bigger and better, that will reap disappointment very quickly.

That deer would be getting a pass on our place regardless of who the hunter is. And hopefully y’all harvest it in two years and that lesson in patience is rewarded.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728298 11/07/22 03:37 PM
G
GPS Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
The regret of not allowing him to take this deer will far outlast any questions in his mind when he see the joy in his son's face for the rest of his life. Dad, don't steal your own joy with this decision. Encourage your son to take the buck and if he does, celebrate his success.

Forget this business of "is this buck old enough", " is my son old enough to take a buck like this", "is this going to impact my deer herd". Be glad that you have this opportunity with your son and take full advantage of it.

Greg

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: kry226] #8728309 11/07/22 03:48 PM
Z
zornhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Z

teachable moment, Shoot the deer. Enjoy his excitement. There is a whole lot of deer in Texas. I have had to teach my kids how to judge a legal deer since they were 10 and They understand you win some, ya lose some. We sat down this year and looked thru tons of game pics. We all came to the conclusion, its a doe and hog type of year. Horn growth has been spotty at best from what we have seen. May change down the road on shooting a buck but he'll have to be wall worthy.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8728312 11/07/22 03:52 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Its a tough decision. For me I agree with Txtro, Flint, Hud, Jetdad, Bobo. Some of those said it very well.
There are two different issues at play. One is if the deer is old enough and how that plays into the groups goals of managing the herd.
The other is if a kid that young and inexperienced should shoot a deer of that caliber.
The other posters have elaborated on how to address both issues.
Another factor would be the rules of the group and the expectations of the group. If the rules clearly state what can be shot ,what not, and by who, then it becomes just the one issue between the Father and child. I, also, would not buy my child an expensive automobile. Life lessons are taught early.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8728317 11/07/22 04:01 PM
S
Savage243 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Savage243

Well the deer in question may be a 150 in 2 years. Your kid will never kill a 150 if they are killing 130 in younger age classes, that’s kind of the conundrum of this thread. If you area scared to let a deer walk because neighbors you are that neighbor

I personally don’t care what my lease members or their kids fill their tags with. If they are happy with it so be it, but if they complain about never seeing big deer they will quickly get reminded of what they choose to fill tags with. Can’t have it both ways unfortunately

I never said I was afraid of a neighbor shooting a deer. I clearly stated that it is a possibility. So if I am afraid that he'll get hung in a fence does that make me "that fence"?

What are the odds of the deer hanging around a property of a few hundred acres for 2-3 years? Not great I imagine, 2,000 acres, eh, maybe a bit better.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: kry226] #8728319 11/07/22 04:02 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G

I agree.
Adios,
Gary

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide