Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8706145 10/11/22 12:56 PM
G
gfarley Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
I put in 106 applications for my brother, my boys, and myself and while I have 10 points for general deer with no draw, we got drawn collectively for 9 different hunts. Youth seem quite easy to draw and archery are not overly difficult. Just thought I would post this in case there was a new Comer to the Texas draw. It really isn't as bad as some make it seem. For a minimal investment there are some opportunities to Hunt some amazing places. My brother and I get to bow hunt Chaparrel with a bow, my boys get to hunt doe and spike there two weeks earlier as well. My youngest gets to hunt Sierra Diablo for mule deer and elk. We also got Caddo youth, Laguna Atascosa archery, Seminole SP doe and antlerless, national refuge general deer on the trinity river,, I'm missing a few but due to overlapping dates we had to pick and choose our hunts. There are some quality hunts put on by some of the finest people you will ever meet if you just put some effort into figuring out where to go and what to do once you get there. Most hunts I've been on, over half the hunters are gone by the third morning. If you have kids, at least put them in. They are free! I one complaint is that having just returned from a mule deer hunt in New Mexico, and a mule deer and elk hunt in Oregon, is that Texas needs to limit non resident draws and charge a heck of a lot more for non resident hunters. I would love to see a system where Texas charges based on what the non residents state charges. Hunting out west has gotten rediculous...ridiculous.... ill get off my soap box.

Dozer, mulched, and trackhoe work. Fencelines, senderos, tanks. Let me know if I can help with any dirtwork or construction.
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8706164 10/11/22 01:17 PM
E
elvisp_bucks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Great post. I agree 100%. The Texas cost is a fraction compared other western states and once you have a few points your chances start really getting good. And if you have no points then start going standby. There are tons of standby opportunities where you have a great chance of getting in

Jason
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: gfarley] #8706511 10/11/22 07:56 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gfarley
Hunting out west has gotten rediculous...ridiculous.... ill get off my soap box.

Don't get off your soapbox; I'm interested to hear what you mean. Too crowded? Too expensive? Never hunted anywhere but Texas, but I hear a lot of move-ins complaining about how terrible Texas hunting is....

Sorry if this derails the whole thread.

Last edited by Sauerkraut; 10/11/22 07:57 PM.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Creekrunner] #8709363 10/15/22 06:35 PM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Poor New Mexico

So far from Heaven

So close to Texas!

As I type this from my living room in New Mexico.

I apply in 8 states. This I got drawn in New Mexico for Coues and Cranes (applied for every species as a resident) and I drew a Wyoming antelope tag that I have 9 years worth of point on. Killed it in September.

Nothing wrong with New Mexico or Texas.

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8710278 10/16/22 09:56 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Got skunked on the few app's I tried for this year - as expected - knowing my shingles would prevent much of a chance at scoring ...hard to hunt carrying a rifle and stuff & using a walker or crutches to get around on something beside pavement & sidewalks ...nuthin new about that.... but I am almost back to normal, as I thought I would be by this time when I put in for those easily hunted locations, and don't need a walker or crutches to get around finally, and will be hopefully forever when I can get rid of all the blood clots in my right leg & get the Spinal Shot on a regular basis .... but I think after this season I will have a conversation with somebody in Austin, face to face, about whether or not my LP's can be added to my Last Will & Testament and transferred to my son's, or are they really the wasted piece of paper it has been for me most of the time for the last 40 years, as both of my 2 grown son's NOW have learned the lesson of my journey or have had Any interest in any TPW's Parks except as an occasional day use place only, cause they have watched and listened to my futile efforts to take them hunting on a State Park. Think about it ...both middle aged men are now into their late 40's and early 50's ...since I am 78 years old. Yes I have taken them hunting a couple times when I was still getting on Lease's regularly, and they were still in their teens and taking notice of what it took for use to hunt on a State Park, but all those Lease Pard's have all passed, and I don't have any other guys to hunt with any more either....but I will still try to get Drawn Somewhere every year I can walk regardless of the potential of a positive result.

Just my 2cents worth so's I can look my face in the mirror in the morning for NOT Being Quitter. OBTW Young Son has for the last couple years taken a well planned road trip every year to the Rockies, to California's mountains that he wanted to see when he was in college at SanJose as a Letterman soccer player but never had the time available. He likes to be alone on these 3-4 week trips and I keep hammering what about this TSP or that one or or or.

You reap what you sow is my primary message to Texas State Park officials. This years trip got really scary though ...he made it out of the campgound 45 minutes before the flood hit initially at Yellow Stone and got the pics to prove it. 2023 I think will be his first trip to Alaska.... wonder where he got the wanderlust from ....hmmm
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 10/16/22 10:25 PM. Reason: clarity

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8723058 10/31/22 09:58 PM
L
Landdrake Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Final Draw of Year Tomorrow what's the big ones for yall? New NWR Alligator this late in season is definitely my interest

“All men die; few men ever really live.”
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Landdrake] #8723062 10/31/22 10:03 PM
E
Erny Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Landdrake
Final Draw of Year Tomorrow what's the big ones for yall? New NWR Alligator this late in season is definitely my interest

Big Horn sheep is what I am banking on!

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8723067 10/31/22 10:09 PM
L
Landdrake Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
yeah the guided hunts for sure are a big one but those are the draws that i just put in for and if they draw amazing if not i know my chances were slim

“All men die; few men ever really live.”
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8723309 11/01/22 04:23 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Don't count your chickens. I've got all of 4 points ridin' on that sheep draw. Practically a shoe in.
I haven't drawn anything all year, which isn't normal for me. I can feel it. The Big One.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: jnd59] #8723318 11/01/22 04:51 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by jnd59
Don't count your chickens. I've got all of 4 points ridin' on that sheep draw. Practically a shoe in.
I haven't drawn anything all year, which isn't normal for me. I can feel it. The Big One.

I am in the sheep draw with 16 points, so cubed it's really 4096 points. Sorry, I got this one. I can feel it too. wink

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8723358 11/01/22 11:03 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Right after me guys, right after me. rifle

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide