Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
New Bering Optics Super Hogster LRF & Power Options #8689117 09/16/22 04:25 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Thanks to Pig_Popper and Bering Optics, I am getting to field a Super Hogster LRF prototype and right now I am stoked. This is a prototype and I have am not in a position to answer too many questions about the unit as individual facets are apt to change. For example, I have never gotten ahold of a prototype that didn't go through firmware changes, additions (such as more reticles), etc. Unless I misunderstood anything, it is your basic Super Hogster with a new housing, firmware, and laser rangefinder.

HOWEVER, the part that really has me stoked is the power supply. I have seen it happen with all brands and power systems. Somebody shows up to hunt and they don't have their CR123 batteries, or the brought their scope with the proprietary battery that they used on the last 2 hunts, didn't charge, and didn't bring a spare, because "Pulsar Batteries last all night long" (this assumes you charged it, first, LOL). I have left both Pulsar batteries on the charger when I showed up to hunt with buddies 2 hours away. I have had people show up who run external batteries that didn't have a power bank with them or didn't have the external cable with them. Maybe you hunt out of your house and shoot hogs in the back yard and this isn't an issue. Or maybe you hunt where the only businesses you are apt to see open are truck stops, AllSups, and other questionable high tech thermal power supply dealers. The new Super Hogster LRF has you covered because it can run on 4 alkaline AA batteries, 4 nimh rechargeable AA batteries, or 4 Li-ion AA batteries. At least the 4 alkalines, you can pick up at AllSups. Oh, and it can run on an external power supply as well.

So while waiting for my alkaline and Li-ion batteries to arrive, I have been testing the scope with nimh rechargeable AA batteries. I used to run the old Covert 3G cellular game cams with these batteries & they have an estimate 18-24 months of use on them, already. On top of that, they have been sitting in a drawer for the last couple of years. These are not pristine, new batteries at all. Anyway, after 4 tests, I have some early results I find exciting. With my batteries for the first 2 tests, the average run time without the LRF and not running auto-nuc gave a 5 hour continuous run time average. Running the LRF which operates in a continuous mode (at this point, anyway), the average run time was 4 hours and 15 minutes.

The next tests will be with the alkalines and then with the lithum batteries.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: New Bering Optics Super Hogster LRF & Power Options [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8690624 09/19/22 12:15 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Nice upgrades, hopefully the price will be right

Re: New Bering Optics Super Hogster LRF & Power Options [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8690947 09/19/22 02:39 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Thanks for the info DNS. That's very exciting about the battery life on AA's. Can't wait to test one of the final production units. It looks very promising.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: New Bering Optics Super Hogster LRF & Power Options [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8691050 09/19/22 04:27 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Yeah, I like the AA versatility. That is pretty neat and the run times with the nimh were quite respectable. I thought that my batteries would pretty old and worn, but still did much better than plain old AAs.

Last test for now, 2 hours and 40 minutes on EBL alkaline 1.5v AA batteries, without the LRF.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XDV4P2N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: New Bering Optics Super Hogster LRF & Power Options [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8692922 09/22/22 02:50 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
DNS I guess a logical question I should have asked is, do you see any noticeable image quality difference between this unit and the current Super Hogster A3? I'm assuming they would be the same but we know about assuming....

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: New Bering Optics Super Hogster LRF & Power Options [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #8693510 09/22/22 09:56 PM
P
Pig_Popper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy
DNS I guess a logical question I should have asked is, do you see any noticeable image quality difference between this unit and the current Super Hogster A3? I'm assuming they would be the same but we know about assuming....

Hi Jason,

Bering sent us this prototype for preliminary functionality testing , since the housing is redesigned they are still working the final decisions on which lense and eyepieces to use so it’s too soon yet to even comment on the image as it is apt to shift before final production.

I can share that the image is not worse than the current A3 Super Hogster up

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: New Bering Optics Super Hogster LRF & Power Options [Re: Pig_Popper] #8695972 09/26/22 01:58 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I totally get it and that makes sense, thanks Pig Popper.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide