Forums46
Topics538,118
Posts9,733,173
Members87,069
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: Sewer rat] #8680126 09/03/22 01:56 PM
U
upsslim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I know there are a lot of variables and no set in stone answer but generally speaking how much drinking is too much?

Is it drinks per day, per week, per month? How do you assess it? I mean let’s take a 12 pack. If you drank a 12 pack a week that would be less than 2 a day on average. I don’t think that would be too harmful. But let’s say you drank that same 12 pack a week but you drank them all on Friday and Saturday night - I presume that is worse for you?

I would guess many of us on here drink on occasion and probably a lot fairly regularly. At what volume/frequency does one really need to start worrying?

What I've found out over the years if you say I'll drink a 12 pack a week after a while you'll say it's not hurting me. Next will be 3 six packs then a case. Then it's drinking a six pack a day. How much is too much? When I quit I was drinking a six pack or more a day. I look back on it now and wonder why I did it and how stupid I was. When I was doing it I thought it was fine to drink like I was. Sooner or later your body will tell you it's too much. You better listen or end up six feet down.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8680139 09/03/22 02:22 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I see all around me with relatives, friends and co-workers. I myself drank obsessively for about 15 years before deciding that I dont want to set a bad example for my kids. It was when I stopped that I noticed how much of a grip it had on me. I fought daily to stay sober and now I fight weekly. Theres too much to live for to waste it on trash like that and I have a lot more money in my checking account. It also feels good to wake up at 5am and ready to go instead of dragging.

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8680199 09/03/22 03:30 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
79 yoa and spent a lot of years keeping the breweries in business but certainly couldn’t say I was ever an Alkie. Went to jail several times for either drunk in public, DWI or altercations that were fueled by beer.

Now, I keep beer and liquor around but it is unusual, maybe rare, for me to drink anything. Occasional margarita with wife. Think I had a beer a week ago after mowing the lawn.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: DocHorton] #8680218 09/03/22 04:02 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by RedRanger
What kind of crowd do you hang around?

I haven't noticed it, but again back in mid 30's I decided to not be friends with drunks, druggies, people with financial issues, etc, made my life a lot easier.

I only hang around people who have their act and life together, got no time for people with personal issues

I can somewhat relate to this. It reminds me of the Dan Pena quote/video which I love.

I think he is trying to say, is that people either have positive energies and are uplifting and beneficial to have relationships with, or they have negative energies that will suck yours away and bring you down and wrap you up in their drama.

I had to cut ties (most happened naturally) with 95% of the people I hung around in my 20's. It's a sobering reality to realize that the people you are associating with have nothing to offer you in terms of a mutually beneficial relationship.

I can honestly say that now, although my friend count has fallen way down, every friendship I have is very much a quality one

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8680287 09/03/22 06:00 PM
R
RedRanger521 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I've known some folks including my significant other that have had traumatic things happen in their lives. Some folks can deal with it through various measures and others turn to destructive things to help with the mental pain and anguish. Its not a pleasant situation either way. I've also known folks that just like drinking. Pretty much for the most part too much of anything is very bad for you-including water.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]Jedi78@me.com
Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #8680303 09/03/22 06:57 PM
Homer Jay Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
Theres too much to live for to waste it on trash like that and I have a lot more money in my checking account. It also feels good to wake up at 5am and ready to go instead of dragging.

"Like a slice of fried gold!"
Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: Sewer rat] #8680307 09/03/22 07:04 PM
Homer Jay Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I know there are a lot of variables and no set in stone answer but generally speaking how much drinking is too much?

It's a problem when every time you drink, you drink to excess.

I don't drink anymore not because I want a beer, but because I want fifteen beers.

"Like a slice of fried gold!"
Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: Homer Jay] #8680318 09/03/22 07:17 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Homer Jay

I don't drink anymore not because I want a beer, but because I want fifteen beers.

“And that’s a whole lotta brew for one night.”

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: RayBob] #8680335 09/03/22 07:56 PM
D
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by RayBob
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by RayBob
Took care of many in the ICU. The liver failure would manifest as esophageal hemorrhage secondary to the blood engorging veins as it couldn't pass through the diseased liver well enough. Look up Esophageal varices. I've had patients bleeding out, got the bleeding stopped, give them 15-20 units of blood product in the process. Build 'em up with fluid and they get to feeling better, leave against medical advice (AMA), and come back in in 48 hours bleeding out. They would usually die that time. bad death choking on blood as the lights go out.

Sounds horrible. If they had stayed, would anything have been different? Can’t even imagine witnessing that.

If they quit drinking and lived healthily they might survive as the liver has wonderful regenerative abilities. I've also seen folks quit drinking long enough to qualify for a liver transplant and as soon as they are set with the new liver they destroy it too drinking.

What causes the esophagus veins to rupture (they become engorged due to venous vascular backup or congestion. So when you bleed anywhere the ideal treatment is to put pressure on it if possible so we would put a tube down their throat that sticks out the mouth and goes all the way to the top of the stomach. Well part of the tube would inflates to press against the bleeding veins. The part in the stomach would empty blood and air from the stomach. It was medieval ! The coup-de-grace was we put a football helmet and anchored the tube to the face bar. Their hands were tied and they were on regularly scheduled ativan or Valium . (benzodiazepines)

Now some liver failures don't have this problem (portal hypertension) and just get toxic from rising ammonia levels and other toxins that the liver would usually eliminate from the body. These folks go into comas .

Liver function can be tested with a simple blood test that we should all get with a yearly exam.

Thanks for the explanation. That’s horrifying.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8681123 09/05/22 02:38 AM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
I drink because i wanted to drown my sorrows but now the damned things have learned to swim

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: Homer Jay] #8681154 09/05/22 05:50 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Homer Jay

I think that is a good way to know if a person has a problem with alcoholism but doesn’t really address how much it takes to ruin your liver. While I admit it is very unlikely that someone would drink like this but 15 beers in one night once a month and absolutely zero alcohol until the next month likely wouldn’t ruin your liver. I am no doctor but I think it has a pretty good ability to heal itself if it isn’t being abused on a regular basis.

I don’t personally know anyone who has died from alcohol. For those who have can you shed some light on the quantities they were drinking? I just have visions of people who die from alcohol downing like a fifth a day several days a week or something.

I have really cut back the last year I didn’t drink a drop from Halloween until January and since then it has been moderately but before that I usually had 3-4 drinks a day but very rarely more but also rarely less.

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: TexFlip] #8691821 09/20/22 03:40 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TexFlip
I've got three friends that turned 40 this year, know them since kindergarten. The way they've been going theist 20 years; they all be dead before 50. My buddy's dad passed away earlier this year and I saw them all at the funeral, 10am and they looked like hammer dig chit in a suit. Sad really, some of the brightest people I know, all three had full academic rides. One to Wash-U, one DePaul and the other UT.

Just got word that one of three passed away last night. His girlfriend found him unresponsive on their back porch this morning.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8691850 09/20/22 04:12 PM
P
Papa Stan Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
My son has been a drinker since he was 15 and is now 38 and an alcoholic. Been to rehab several times, but will not get involved with a recovery program. His wife, well she is a drug addict and same thing - thinks she can do it on her own. Got kicked out of rehab and will not commit to a recovery program. So me and my wife have gone to court to get temporary custody of our granddaughter to keep the drug addict from taking her back. It's not the plan we had for our life approaching our 70's. Turns out the paperwork CPS gives you to be the caretakers is worthless if the parent wants to call the police and force you to hand the child over. It makes no sense that CPS can show up at a meth house, flash their badges and take a child, but then when the grandparents have her with the CPS paperwork there is nothing preventing the parents from taking her back without the grandparents permission. So we had to spend a bunch of money to go through the courts to protect the baby.
I don't think our son will make it to 40. It's difficult to watch your child basically kill himself.

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: vanguard] #8691855 09/20/22 04:25 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by vanguard
I drink because i wanted to drown my sorrows but now the damned things have learned to swim

Don’t, it’s not worth it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8691860 09/20/22 04:30 PM
N
Nickbyrd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Well this got really depressing really fast. Side note some people just like to have a good time .

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8691863 09/20/22 04:32 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
No sympathy whatsoever...I'm stronger than tobacco, drugs or alcohol. I'm 100% in control.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: Papa Stan] #8691868 09/20/22 04:38 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Papa Stan
My son has been a drinker since he was 15 and is now 38 and an alcoholic. Been to rehab several times, but will not get involved with a recovery program. His wife, well she is a drug addict and same thing - thinks she can do it on her own. Got kicked out of rehab and will not commit to a recovery program. So me and my wife have gone to court to get temporary custody of our granddaughter to keep the drug addict from taking her back. It's not the plan we had for our life approaching our 70's. Turns out the paperwork CPS gives you to be the caretakers is worthless if the parent wants to call the police and force you to hand the child over. It makes no sense that CPS can show up at a meth house, flash their badges and take a child, but then when the grandparents have her with the CPS paperwork there is nothing preventing the parents from taking her back without the grandparents permission. So we had to spend a bunch of money to go through the courts to protect the baby.
I don't think our son will make it to 40. It's difficult to watch your child basically kill himself.

That’s rough man.

Reading things like this make me sick.

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8691869 09/20/22 04:39 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
[Linked Image]

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8691870 09/20/22 04:40 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
[Linked Image]

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8691871 09/20/22 04:41 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
[Linked Image]

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8691914 09/20/22 05:42 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It’s odd, but I’m just not drinking much anymore. A cold beer on a hot day is great, but I used to drink 6 or 8 more. Wine doesn’t taste as good as it did. Happily, Tullamore Dew still tastes good - one short glass of it. I need to work on my drinking game. I’ve lost a step.

The wife’s nephews, all 3 of the guys, can and will drink a 30 pack of Busch Lite a day. Mildly drunk from 10 am till midnight. I’ll sit with them and have one beer. Truthfully, I might have more than one beer if they had good beer.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: Sewer rat] #8691916 09/20/22 05:44 PM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

Is it drinks per day, per week, per month? How do you assess it? I mean let’s take a 12 pack. If you drank a 12 pack a week that would be less than 2 a day on average. I don’t think that would be too harmful. But let’s say you drank that same 12 pack a week but you drank them all on Friday and Saturday night - I presume that is worse for you?

I would guess many of us on here drink on occasion and probably a lot fairly regularly. At what volume/frequency does one really need to start worrying?

Who knows?
But personally I think a beer or 2 a day might do more good than harm, relax the tension of life.
I personally don’t drink but I don’t have anything against drinking, if a person can drink responsibility.
I never was a big drinker but did enjoy a beer once a week when I was younger, the more I didn’t drink the worst it would taste and now I just don’t want any alcohol at all.

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8691921 09/20/22 05:53 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8691952 09/20/22 06:42 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
People also smoke themselves to death, eat themselves to death ….I had to cut back on milk, that was making me too fat!

Re: Folks who drink themselves to death [Re: ntxtrapper] #8691956 09/20/22 06:56 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
We've got someone on my wife's side that's drinking a handle of McCormick's vodka....every day without fail. Retirement age - had a successful career - very successful husband - kids / grandkids - pretty much your all american family. She will throw a walleyed FIT at Thanksgiving if anyone drinks. I (and my wife) have been on to her BS charade for years...it's all finally come to light, but she's one of those people who are going to kill someone or kill herself...she gets plastered-fall-down drunk and she gets behind the wheel.

Bunch of enablers on her side unfortunately. I believe in tough love and if I know she's on the road drunk - cops are getting called. She needs professional help.

About 2.5 years into college I realized I was quickly becoming a functioning alcoholic and nipped that in the bud real quick. I rarely (maybe once a month) drink these days. Can't remember the last time I was drunk. Alcohol was easy for me to control - dipping snuff was a much, much harder addiction to break.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide