Print Thread
Thermal Drone Use Illegal in Texas for Hunting #8670983 08/22/22 03:36 PM
H
h20thief Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
I was surprised this law existed and many Wardens probably don't either but the video link dives deep into the Texas Administrative Code. I don't personally use a thermal drone but thought I'd post for those that might to avoid the hassle or expense of a citation. The guy in the video makes a good point that this law should be changed as eradication, or attempts to eradicate, will be the sensible solution. Not trying to stir the pot, just passing on information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nY16c6aXXg

Last edited by h20thief; 08/22/22 03:36 PM.

H20thief
------------
Positive thinking may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Thermal Drone Use Illegal in Texas for Hunting [Re: h20thief] #8671043 08/22/22 04:26 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Every Game Warden is well aware of it. You can get a permit for hogs though or we wouldn’t have helicopter hog shooting.

Re: Thermal Drone Use Illegal in Texas for Hunting [Re: ntxtrapper] #8671549 08/23/22 02:22 AM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Every Game Warden is well aware of it. You can get a permit for hogs though or we wouldn’t have helicopter hog shooting.

Good luck with that train of thought.

I spent 3 hours working on my permit updating landowner agreements today. It's ridiculously more involved than you'd think for anyone who is trying to fly above board.

There is no way in this world that a 2 pound photography drone needs the same fees and documentation that is required for an aerial gunnery fantasy camp. There is no risk in loss of life and absolute minimal risk of property damage over the value of the drone.

That video dropped today and the whole issue was allegedly already being addressed this week by the US Representatives on Texas Ag Taskforce and as well as at the TPW Commission meetings. The Chairman of the commission already had a letter out publicly saying the regulations in place were never meant to be applied to drones.

This drought has really brought some of the issues to front and now is catching up time. A couple large ag based organizations have gotten the ear of the right representatives so I expect there will be some easing on the current regulations sooner rather than later.

Until then, I don't hunt with a drone, but I will probably check a fair bit of livestock at night.

Re: Thermal Drone Use Illegal in Texas for Hunting [Re: h20thief] #8671623 08/23/22 03:47 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I never said anything about it being easy.

Re: Thermal Drone Use Illegal in Texas for Hunting [Re: ntxtrapper] #8671633 08/23/22 04:14 AM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I never said anything about it being easy.

You know Sir, you are correct. You did not.

I have been chasing both ends on this most of the day one way or another. We will have a better idea how it's going to shake out after this week.

Re: Thermal Drone Use Illegal in Texas for Hunting [Re: h20thief] #8671889 08/23/22 03:35 PM
H
h20thief Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
The drone use is typically after dark where the helicopter based shooting is not. Not exactly the same comparison but either way, probably not worth the hassle until the regs are adjusted.

H20thief
------------
Positive thinking may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Thermal Drone Use Illegal in Texas for Hunting [Re: Dzhitshard] #8685095 09/10/22 09:32 PM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by Dzhitshard

Good luck with that train of thought.

I spent 3 hours working on my permit updating landowner agreements today. It's ridiculously more involved than you'd think for anyone who is trying to fly above board.

There is no way in this world that a 2 pound photography drone needs the same fees and documentation that is required for an aerial gunnery fantasy camp. There is no risk in loss of life and absolute minimal risk of property damage over the value of the drone.

That video dropped today and the whole issue was allegedly already being addressed this week by the US Representatives on Texas Ag Taskforce and as well as at the TPW Commission meetings. The Chairman of the commission already had a letter out publicly saying the regulations in place were never meant to be applied to drones.

This drought has really brought some of the issues to front and now is catching up time. A couple large ag based organizations have gotten the ear of the right representatives so I expect there will be some easing on the current regulations sooner rather than later.

Until then, I don't hunt with a drone, but I will probably check a fair bit of livestock at night.

Wink Wink

Last edited by Douglas Tipton; 09/10/22 09:34 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide