Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Public School Band! #8667108 08/17/22 10:37 PM
Txhunter65 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Ok...gotta odd question. My son started 6th grade this year and signed up for band and will be in percussion. We received instructions today on who we needed to contact and what all he needed to rent/buy for the year which totals up to about $1,000 a year. When I was in Junior High and High School, I played football and track and everything we needed was provided by the school and I never really thought much of it. Thinking about kids today playing football each one is likely issued well over $1,000 worth of equipment and clothing. My question is how do schools provide uniforms and equipment for sports teams but do not provide anything for students participating in band? Are there HS sports teams that are not provided uniforms/equipment? Looking for some wisdom out there in the THF universe.

Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667117 08/17/22 10:45 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A. God bless you son for being the parent of a "percussionist". I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, but...'have threatened to encourage a few of my grandkids to study drums.
B. You can't over think this. This is Texas, and football is King. Buy him a set, try to get him lessons, and if the band director asks you to buy anything else, tell him to pound sand. up

Last edited by Creekrunner; 08/17/22 10:46 PM.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667124 08/17/22 10:55 PM
texasag93 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My son plays the trumpet. He was in band until this year. 6th grade to 11th grade. He quit this year.

We paid around $75 for UIL fees and around $400 from band fees. Add in trips and tutoring, that is another $1500 to $2000.

His school did not start tutoring or trips until High School.

Re: Public School Band! [Re: Creekrunner] #8667126 08/17/22 10:59 PM
Txhunter65 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
A. God bless you son for being the parent of a "percussionist". I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, but...'have threatened to encourage a few of my grandkids to study drums.
B. You can't over think this. This is Texas, and football is King. Buy him a set, try to get him lessons, and if the band director asks you to buy anything else, tell him to pound sand. up

roflmao Appreciate the advice. The odd thing is the paper we got was the same that all parents got and for percussion it says all students need to rent a xylophone...I guess for each student to have at home... confused2 seems like a lot of xylophones! I totally get "B." I was fortunate and blessed in HS to win the last game of the year once and came one game away from winning it again the next year so I totally get that. Just never thought about all they guys and gals in band back then having to rent/buy all their own instruments and uniforms. While we got so much provided by the school. and what we got then isn't half what they get now...we had one helmet and 2 uniforms..home/away. Now they have 3 or 4 helmets and 3 or 4 uniforms not to mentions all the clothing we were issued.

Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667127 08/17/22 11:01 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
It’s unreal the money that schools want for every little thing. What the hell am I paying taxes for?

Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667132 08/17/22 11:11 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Debate team can't cost very much.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667133 08/17/22 11:13 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Txhunter65

roflmao Appreciate the advice. The odd thing is the paper we got was the same that all parents got and for percussion it says all students need to rent a xylophone...I guess for each student to have at home... confused2 seems like a lot of xylophones! I totally get "B." I was fortunate and blessed in HS to win the last game of the year once and came one game away from winning it again the next year so I totally get that. Just never thought about all they guys and gals in band back then having to rent/buy all their own instruments and uniforms. While we got so much provided by the school. and what we got then isn't half what they get now...we had one helmet and 2 uniforms..home/away. Now they have 3 or 4 helmets and 3 or 4 uniforms not to mentions all the clothing we were issued.

Well, the xylophone thing baffles me. He'd be better off taking piano. People tolerate a, short, drum solo. Nobody listens to a xylophone. Harsh, but true.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667160 08/17/22 11:52 PM
R
RevolverFan Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Keep an eye out on Facebook marketplace. A lot of parents selling the kids instruments for much less than they paid.

Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667187 08/18/22 12:11 AM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Bless you sir, we put 3 kids thru band. Thankfully one played Tuba, his twin brother Baritone but our daughter played the clarinet. All we had to purchase was mouthpieces for the boys and a used clarinet and had the corks and key pads replaced.
The three of them practicing different music at the same time made for some weird noises in the house.
Took a weeks vacation every year to volunteer at summer band camp and worked the concession stand for every home and JV game and chaperoned on a band buss for away games and contests. Lots of time put in, but wouldn't miss the time with my kids for anything.
Good luck with your drummer. Good earplugs are a must.

Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667196 08/18/22 12:17 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Comparing sports to band is like comparing an apple to an orange. One is a revenue generating machine for the school, district and UIL; the other is a cost cow. That's exactly where the lines of demarcation start and stop...If it were reversed, it would be the sports players paying for their uniforms, etc.

Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667238 08/18/22 12:50 AM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Tell him to learn the guitar. Wish I could have had that skill in college. Girls love guitar pickers.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Public School Band! [Re: DQ Kid] #8667245 08/18/22 12:54 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Comparing sports to band is like comparing an apple to an orange. One is a revenue generating machine for the school, district and UIL; the other is a cost cow. That's exactly where the lines of demarcation start and stop...If it were reversed, it would be the sports players paying for their uniforms, etc.

That certainly justifies where our tax dollars are spent within the education system. How much revenue does English and math generate the school?

Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667248 08/18/22 12:58 AM
L
LonestarCobra Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I never had to deal with it, all we ever bought was a cup for my son during baseball, and a long sleeve garment for the cold weather that went under the shoulder pads. I have heard tell our school covers the cost for the band members, for a small town, our band kids are quite the eccentric crowd.

Re: Public School Band! [Re: 603Country] #8667252 08/18/22 01:01 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by 603Country
Tell him to learn the guitar. Wish I could have had that skill in college. Girls love guitar pickers.

Very true. One of my regrets. But, as far as a good group of kids, you can't beat the band.

Re: Public School Band! [Re: DQ Kid] #8667265 08/18/22 01:10 AM
Txhunter65 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by DQ Kid

I hear ya… I’ve made the same argument my self about the money football generates but after stepping back and looking at it I’m sure the top schools in every district do make money but I’d be willing to bet as a whole, state wide HS football is break even at best and I’d bet loses money on a state wide basis. Found an old article that said of the teams in the Beaumont area two made money the rest lost money on the year. Believe the same article quoted one of the schools who made money’s supers and he said football was a huge revenue generator for the school. It was disclosed in the same article the school made $69,000 off football but that didn’t take into account the AD’s salary on the year.

Not knocking football or any other sport. I’ve been on that side and wouldn’t trade it. Just getting a different perspective.

Re: Public School Band! [Re: 603Country] #8667387 08/18/22 03:21 AM
R
Remo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Drummers do fine in college bands. You don't have to be good lookin', but being the least ugly out of the guys in the group helps. Went from not being able to talk to girls to not needing that skill anyway. For legal reasons, that is all that I am permitted to say.

Shortly after school start, you might find a school equipment setup on Craigslist when some other kid decides music is more difficult than cool.

But I agree- public school percussion can be pricey if you buy/rent from where they tell you. In 6th grade I had a snare/case/stand, xylophone thing/case, a dozen different sticks, stick bag, and books- all I really needed was a practice pad and some time in a school practice room. We had to learn music theory- notes and chords on chimes and xylophone, as well as drumming on snares, timpani, bass, and toms.

It all depends where you are though. My HS kid plays drumline on snare at football games as well as in rock bands pregame/halftime, and only had to buy sticks since we had the drum kit at home and the rest is a school setup.

Funny, I broke some school run/jump records in Junior High and the coaches tried hard to recruit me to football, but I was worried the cost and time expense would be more than my family could swing and never went for it. Then, got booted from percussion so that $ was kind of a waste.

Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667417 08/18/22 04:10 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Yep !!

Drummer here too. Started in Junior High (8th grade), Highschool, then at Tyler Junior College. Home of the famous Apache Bell's. Don't think my Dad ever had to pay for anything.

YES, APACHE was okay back in those days, as was Tyler's Robert E. Lee Rebels till they had to give in to special interests.

back

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Public School Band! [Re: Creekrunner] #8667422 08/18/22 04:30 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Very true. One of my regrets. But, as far as a good group of kids, you can't beat the band.

Don't bet on that I played the Trombone in HS band. The trombone and Tuba players were a bunch of drunks. I remember being hung over and throwing up into my trombone during morning marching practice.

I also recall that we had to purchase our own instruments. They weren't cheap.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667431 08/18/22 04:59 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This post is not about me but rather my experience as am example.

Graduated high school in 1983 and never had to pay anything through the band whole program. French Horns were too expensive for the average Arkansas family anyway. Dropped out of band in my senor year during the last semester. Graduated high school with a 2.9 and barely made it into college in a technical program. Playing French Horn was the last thing on my mind. It was just something to do. Fast forward to my first semester in college, I commented to the band director one day as we met while passing that I enjoyed the half-time show. Conversation ensued. He asked about and knew of my former band director. "What chair did you play?" 2nd. "Would you like a scholarship?". Never even had to try out.

He was demanding. He demanded you work hard for quality but not an ugly person. He could spot you slacking in a second, letting down your other team mates. But he was the best life coach teacher I ever had way beyond the college hours. Ended up graduating with honors and received a fellowship in a major university's masters degree program.

Athletics, band, chess team or whatever doesn't matter, We all want our kids to be successful. Important life skills may be learned from the most unusual places. Best wishes to your child.

To be determined
Re: Public School Band! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8667572 08/18/22 01:44 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Yep !!

Drummer here too. Started in Junior High (8th grade), Highschool, then at Tyler Junior College. Home of the famous Apache Bell's. Don't think my Dad ever had to pay for anything.

YES, APACHE was okay back in those days, as was Tyler's Robert E. Lee Rebels till they had to give in to special interests.

back

I hate that the Tyler schools caved in to the limp-wristed liberals. I have a great niece that just graduated from Tyler Legacy and is now an Apache Bell. It's a shame that the history of the US is being erased, good or bad it is still history.

Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667573 08/18/22 01:46 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
When my brother got to middle school my parents had to buy his snare drum, it was cheaper to outright buy it. So he used it all the way through high school. This was back in the late 90's and early 2000's. So to me to rent/buy the instrument has always been common place to me.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667576 08/18/22 01:49 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
My question is how do schools provide uniforms and equipment for sports teams but do not provide anything for students participating in band? Are there HS sports teams that are not provided uniforms/equipment? Looking for some wisdom out there in the THF universe.

First off, Football is WAY more important than band smile

My boys played the stand-up bass in middle school, we paid monthly rent for several years. Football, we always bought our own helmets.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667593 08/18/22 02:09 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Ok...gotta odd question. My son started 6th grade this year and signed up for band and will be in percussion. We received instructions today on who we needed to contact and what all he needed to rent/buy for the year which totals up to about $1,000 a year. When I was in Junior High and High School, I played football and track and everything we needed was provided by the school and I never really thought much of it. Thinking about kids today playing football each one is likely issued well over $1,000 worth of equipment and clothing. My question is how do schools provide uniforms and equipment for sports teams but do not provide anything for students participating in band? Are there HS sports teams that are not provided uniforms/equipment? Looking for some wisdom out there in the THF universe.

Instruments are way more expensive from an individual stand point. My violin was $2500 in the 90’s(NOTE I was not in the band.) Also add in the liability of instrument damage or loss. Almost every sports team has a booster club also doing fund raising on the side, that football stadium has heavy advertisements, etc.

To answer your question traditionally boosters are more apt to advertise for football team then band or drill. Some schools are the opposite and have powerhouse bands that have mega funds from boosters. Normally the teams that compete state and National stage year in year out have huge fundraising dollars.

Football I paid for cleats, under pads /slides, warm ups, and braces. Booster club paid for uniforms, school paid shoulder pads and helmet.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Public School Band! [Re: Txhunter65] #8667597 08/18/22 02:17 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
"One time at band camp"...I'm surprised no one has quoted this yet. roflmao

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Public School Band! [Re: The Dude Abides] #8667598 08/18/22 02:18 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
"One time at band camp"...I'm surprised no one has quoted this yet. roflmao

I am shocked at how many people on the forum was in the band

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index