Print Thread
Will it ever… #8648211 07/25/22 01:28 AM
B
BigPig Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
With mini splits becoming more and more advanced, and more popular, do you think they would ever replace the large 1 unit per house HVAC systems?

Here my thought, with the right thermostat in each room, or a sensor in each room if it’s a dual room system, the sensor could recognize when a person is in that room and automatically begin to cool that room or be on a schedule. At night I only need the bedrooms cooled, but the entire house gets cooled too. Also, it seems it would be worlds cheaper to fix them when one goes down, and if it goes down you still have HVAC in the other rooms.

Seriously considering a couple mini splits in our rehab house vs a traditional system.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Will it ever… [Re: BigPig] #8648230 07/25/22 01:48 AM
K
KK30RAR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
I turn the bedrooms units off during the day when nobody’s home just leave the largest unit on and leave doors open on the other rooms you’ll be really surprised how fast they cool a room when fired back up. I split the living room and kitchen dining room on one 24000 btu unit and put the bedrooms on another. Just for the occasion one died but 8 years now trouble free.

Pulsar xq50 trail
Pulsar xq30f Helion
Re: Will it ever… [Re: BigPig] #8648233 07/25/22 01:51 AM
D
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Yes, especially if the room recognizes when it needs to be cooled. Heating/cooling an entire house when not in use is inefficient and wasteful. People already have mini splits as their sole way of heating and cooling their homes for this reason. It will become more popular.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Will it ever… [Re: BigPig] #8648247 07/25/22 02:13 AM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by BigPig
With mini splits becoming more and more advanced, and more popular, do you think they would ever replace the large 1 unit per house HVAC systems?

Here my thought, with the right thermostat in each room, or a sensor in each room if it’s a dual room system, the sensor could recognize when a person is in that room and automatically begin to cool that room or be on a schedule. At night I only need the bedrooms cooled, but the entire house gets cooled too. Also, it seems it would be worlds cheaper to fix them when one goes down, and if it goes down you still have HVAC in the other rooms.

Seriously considering a couple mini splits in our rehab house vs a traditional system.

If your rental is small enough, it makes sense. The VRBO I just stayed in up in SD was cooled by 2 mini-splits. One on each of the two floors. You needed floor fans to circulate the air but it worked well enough to keep us comfy. House was about 1500 sq ft.

I also know a guy out in Pilot Point that did this exact thing. around a 2800 square foot house I'd guess. Purpose built the house for this type of cooling, Not sure how many systems he put in. Any room he wasn't using he simply shut the door. Had a remote control mounted on wall of each room. Only downside I saw to it was the wall space they took up. And it sort of looked strange to have them everywhere in what was otherwise a high end newer home.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Will it ever… [Re: BigPig] #8648253 07/25/22 02:17 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
You are on the right track here. I would do that absolutely.

[Linked Image]
Re: Will it ever… [Re: dkershen] #8648311 07/25/22 03:36 AM
B
BigPig Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by dkershen
Originally Posted by BigPig

If your rental is small enough, it makes sense. The VRBO I just stayed in up in SD was cooled by 2 mini-splits. One on each of the two floors. You needed floor fans to circulate the air but it worked well enough to keep us comfy. House was about 1500 sq ft.

I also know a guy out in Pilot Point that did this exact thing. around a 2800 square foot house I'd guess. Purpose built the house for this type of cooling, Not sure how many systems he put in. Any room he wasn't using he simply shut the door. Had a remote control mounted on wall of each room. Only downside I saw to it was the wall space they took up. And it sort of looked strange to have them everywhere in what was otherwise a high end newer home.

It’s a 1300sqft 3/2 with the master on the opposite side of the house from the other 2 bedrooms

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Will it ever… [Re: BigPig] #8648345 07/25/22 11:11 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I have a window unit in our master so we can turn the ac up in the rest of the house at night. No sense cooling 2500 sf when there is nobody there. A mini split was an option and would probably look better than a window unit hanging out but we had limited outside wall space because of windows, french doors etc... You would definitely need to plan ahead for multiple units because of wall space, also they don't have that whole house fan/blower so the cooling needs to start earlier to cool a room any bigger than a bedroom.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Will it ever… [Re: BigPig] #8648347 07/25/22 11:18 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
If you’re going to do multiple rent houses I can see it as a big plus. Use the exact same unit in each house or maybe two different sizes. Then you can keep a couple of extras in your shop for a quick change out if needed. Then the failed unit can be repaired by you usually for under $200. The boards are available although it may take a couple of weeks to put your hands on them.

Re: Will it ever… [Re: BigPig] #8648355 07/25/22 11:56 AM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Yes, I am seeing more and more people taking this route. If max efficiency is your goal, then super high efficiency mini splits are easily your answer. (I am not a fan of the appearance) One major efficiency gain is the lack of duct work in a hot attic.

I have a central system with my duct layout (all indoors, not in the attic) sized for zoning. Air not needed in one area goes to other areas. Yes, there are limits to how far you can push this, but it works great to provide minimal airflow to about 40% of my house when I want to. Again, you cannot do this unless your system, including ducts were sized accordingly. The guy who built this place in 1979 did some smart things.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Will it ever… [Re: BigPig] #8648484 07/25/22 02:41 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Nope, I don't see them ever replacing traditional HVAC units.

Most house built these days would have to have at least dozen or more units installed.

Then on a 2 story, forget about it..............

Re: Will it ever… [Re: BigPig] #8648524 07/25/22 03:20 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
sounds expensive

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Will it ever… [Re: BigPig] #8648630 07/25/22 05:35 PM
TX_LT230FH Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I’ve had 2 ducted mini-splits installed and they work very well and are very efficient. They use the same outdoor compressors as the wall mini splits.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Will it ever… [Re: BigPig] #8649007 07/26/22 12:39 AM
O
Old_Town Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
I have three rentals with mini split systems they work fine they're efficient but when they do break it is difficult to find a repairman. It is much easier to get conventional split systems repaired than many splits.

I prefer single speed conventional split systems I have had really good luck with Bryant and Payne. I avoid self communicating systems and variable speed systems like the plague they are not reliable in rental units at one time I had 16 units half of them were Nordyne and they weren't worth a damn I started buying Payne and Bryant and some Goodman units they were much better.

Last edited by Old_Town; 07/26/22 12:41 AM.
Re: Will it ever… [Re: BigPig] #8649037 07/26/22 01:08 AM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I dont think so. Inverter technology and zoning will be champion.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide