Re: Great article [Re: Creekrunner] #8625128 06/21/22 05:21 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
I say just slow down and enjoy and Be In The Moment.

Exactly. 'Was fishing with one son-in-law and it was his turn to pick up the screaming reel and reel in a 100+# Lemon Shark. His first thought, and words to me were "Can you take a picture?" Of course we were going to take a picture, but it seems a whole lot of his generation are all about grabbing that @#$%^&* cell phone, snapping a picture, and posting it as soon as humanly possible. They don't ever seem to be "there", living in the moment, and soaking up the experience. (They can't focus on anything worth a tinker's dam either.)

BINGO! They feel the need to document on social media before it even happens and to show that "they were there" but in reality totally missed the experience and IMO filing away the memories. If it ain't on social media then how can they have recall of it

Re: Great article [Re: Creekrunner] #8625139 06/21/22 05:34 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
I say just slow down and enjoy and Be In The Moment.

Exactly. 'Was fishing with one son-in-law and it was his turn to pick up the screaming reel and reel in a 100+# Lemon Shark. His first thought, and words to me were "Can you take a picture?" Of course we were going to take a picture, but it seems a whole lot of his generation are all about grabbing that @#$%^&* cell phone, snapping a picture, and posting it as soon as humanly possible. They don't ever seem to be "there", living in the moment, and soaking up the experience. (They can't focus on anything worth a tinker's dam either.)

Agree 100%.

He didn’t want to catch the shark. He wanted to be seen catching the shark. That was where the glory lay.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Great article [Re: txtrophy85] #8625177 06/21/22 06:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I look forward to Randy turning his hunts from days and weeks to hours as he no longer is selective in criteria of pursuit…

Article is lost due to whom the author really is, One of the best bow hunters in the world. Is he retiring from writing? I doubt it, will we ever not see a picture of Randy with another archery 200” mulie or stud bull, doubt it

Article should be more pointed to don’t judge your self by what others post or don’t post, you simply can not ever compare animals or hunts. Everyone has a different back ground and means, by means I don’t just mean money, I mean everything including age, up bringing, to physical ability . Time is probably the largest factor in success.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Great article [Re: txtrophy85] #8625191 06/21/22 07:00 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Suckerburg listened very closely during Sociology 101 and parlayed Maslow's hierarchy of needs into being a gazillionaire. Every person needs these things, but I never knew how much until Facebook came along.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Great article [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8625192 06/21/22 07:01 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Yes it is always interesting to see hunters who actively seek and gain influence through a lifetime spent using media of all types suddenly “come to Jesus” regarding the negative influences of media in hunting.

There are lots of great outdoorsmen (and women) who outside their personal friend groups no one will never know about.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Great article [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8625205 06/21/22 07:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Yes it is always interesting to see hunters who actively seek and gain influence through a lifetime spent using media of all types suddenly “come to Jesus” regarding the negative influences of media in hunting.

There are lots of great outdoorsmen (and women) who outside their personal friend groups no one will never know about.

The World needs both, I’m not saying I support the Social Media idiocracy that a segment of it has become but history shows animals with financial value do last. Millions of dollars in conversation that are individually and corporately donated are substantial in our cause as stewards and sportsmen. I just don’t know where to put the line, on one hand the idiocracy exposes itself and technically self polices itself by highlighting and in many cases even prosecuting the extremes people go for a picture.

I don’t know right answers but I know utopia doesn’t exist in a mortal universe for a reason

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Great article [Re: txtrophy85] #8625211 06/21/22 07:53 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I am going to take a line from the "all-wise" Helen Boucher:

Aint nobody needin no social media, especially you! That social media is from the devil!

Re: Great article [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8625212 06/21/22 07:56 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

The World needs both, I’m not saying I support the Social Media idiocracy that a segment of it has become but history shows animals with financial value do last. Millions of dollars in conversation that are individually and corporately donated are substantial in our cause as stewards and sportsmen. I just don’t know where to put the line, on one hand the idiocracy exposes itself and technically self polices itself by highlighting and in many cases even prosecuting the extremes people go for a picture.

I don’t know right answers but I know utopia doesn’t exist in a mortal universe for a reason

Agree, there are finer points to be made. On one hand there is a generation of people who, for reasons beyond just the urban sprawl and population movements to suburbia, really do not know anything about the wild, outdoors, or woodcraft. Social media might be opening doors for people to experience something they never would have had the opportunity to do, simply as a beginning of "online jealousy" or FOMO.

On the other hand we have the folks who make us look foolish by their stupid antics "all for the 'gram"

There is a line in there somewhere, but I don't know where it falls either.

Re: Great article [Re: txtrophy85] #8625214 06/21/22 07:59 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I think I rely on MySpace too much.

Re: Great article [Re: Hudbone] #8625225 06/21/22 08:16 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
I think I rely on MySpace too much.

You are a gen x’er!!! I know it

Re: Great article [Re: Texas buckeye] #8625266 06/21/22 09:27 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Agree, there are finer points to be made. On one hand there is a generation of people who, for reasons beyond just the urban sprawl and population movements to suburbia, really do not know anything about the wild, outdoors, or woodcraft. Social media might be opening doors for people to experience something they never would have had the opportunity to do, simply as a beginning of "online jealousy" or FOMO.

On the other hand we have the folks who make us look foolish by their stupid antics "all for the 'gram"

There is a line in there somewhere, but I don't know where it falls either.

Great point, and there is a lot of positive attributes to social media.

As far as where the line is, I don’t know either

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Great article [Re: txtrophy85] #8625307 06/21/22 10:26 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Another son-in-law, not a whole lot younger than me, but that's another story, shot a decent hill country buck at my place a couple of years ago. His son, my grandson, was with us. 'First time either one of them had ever sat in a blind with me. Both of the son-in-law's parents had thanked me for getting him back into hunting. His, now deceased, father had taken him a few times, but had never had the opportunity to be on a lease or anything like that. There was lots of teaching going on in the blind, as gentle and easy-going as I could. I told him to shoot this particular buck. He was happy when we walked up to it and while we were cleaning it. Apparently, he posted it on Facebook, and within a couple of hours, two of his so-called friends started making snide comments about how small it was. He mentioned it and I told him to blow it off and, that those guys weren't acting like friends. Here's the deer:

[Linked Image]

I wouldn't bet money on him ever "finding the time" to hunt with me ever again. He definitely has his own issues, like we all do, but still...it's a shame.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Great article [Re: txtrophy85] #8625367 06/21/22 11:44 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I actually really like that buck. Good mature 8 with cool brows. He has idiots for friends. But i also don’t share on Facebook or THF because it’s not as locked down (atleast in ability) as say instragram or iPhone group chat

Re: Great article [Re: txtrophy85] #8625376 06/21/22 11:51 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That’s some nice mass on that Hill Country 8pt.

Re: Great article [Re: txtrophy85] #8625534 06/22/22 03:39 AM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
"In my limited experience, I have found that the more a particular person posts on social media, the unhappier they seem to be"

Truth

Re: Great article [Re: Dave Davidson] #8641202 07/15/22 12:50 AM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Maybe I’m different. I own my small 133 acre place. I don’t live there. By any stretch of the imagination, it’s junk land. All trees, rocks, stock tanks and hills. I have, on multiple occasions, passed up shots at trophy deer. At 79 yoa, it’s more about hunting than killing. We enjoy watching deer at the feeder 150 yards from the kitchen window.

I doubt that I will ever hunt anywhere else. I’ve hunted most Southwest states, Colorado, Montana and Africa.

Most of the old goats that I’ve known for a long time now take an expensive camera along with a rifle. We text a lot of pics back and forth. I don’t own a real camera but my Wife does.

BTW, I seldom pass up a chance to murder a big pig.

This, I'm 77 and love to sit in a stand and watch. I only take a rifle in case I see a pig. I've passed up some mighty fine racks. I don't eat deer anymore, so why kill it. I've passed on shooting coyotes. I'll shoot pigs because of the damage they do. I don't eat pigs anymore, but the yotes and buzzards like feral pork. I did get a Canon T7 2000D to take. Its a great shooter.

Re: Great article [Re: retfuz] #8641385 07/15/22 01:02 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
[/quote]
This, I'm 77 and love to sit in a stand and watch. I only take a rifle in case I see a pig. I've passed up some mighty fine racks. I don't eat deer anymore, so why kill it. I've passed on shooting coyotes. I'll shoot pigs because of the damage they do. I don't eat pigs anymore, but the yotes and buzzards like feral pork. I did get a Canon T7 2000D to take. Its a great shooter.[/quote]

74 and guilty of this also. My FIL had 130 acres at Sandy outside Johnson City. I had free hunting for 12 years as long as I helped take care of the place. I didn't kill many deer there as much as I watched them thru stalking and still hunting. I just enjoyed being in nature and seeing it in a natural form. His son and grandkids could care less about what was there. He sold it as it was getting too much for him to handle and I couldn't do all the things he wanted done by myself as I was still working full time. I think If I had retired earlier and kept it up more he and I would still be enjoying it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide