Print Thread
Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? #8620836 06/15/22 01:51 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
The wife and I decided to beat the heat by taking a little day drip to an out-of-the-way public lake and park in East Texas. Since it's been at least 20 years (or maybe even 30) since I've swam in deep water, I must admit I was looking to see just how well I could swim now that I'm older and to be honest, heavier. Even though I've always considered myself a very competent swimmer, I wasn't sure it was a skill you never forget, much like riding a bike. There's no question those first few seconds of stepping off into deeper water did make me feel uneasy at first, and I could definitely feel it was taking a little more effort to stay up and about. But after about 20 minutes or so I felt I was back to my old self, or at least as close as I could at being 63.

My reason for saying all this is you often hear of older people who slip and fall in lakes and rivers and go down never to resurface. Granted, some of these people didn't know how to swim, and other times its a matter of it happening when the water is winter cold. Still, one's ability to swim seems like something every older person should routinely check and practice, especially if they're frequently around lakes and streams. I have to believe it adds a comfort factor to someone who might not react as well should they suddenly find themselves in water over their head, literally.

Now just as a side note, it was only recently during a family trip to Destin that my daughter confided in my wife and I that I our SIL did not know how to swim. And this is a guy who owns two fishing boats. Needless to say, the wife and I were blown away. Heck, your ability to swim is probably just as important as your ability to walk.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/15/22 02:03 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: Texas Dan] #8620879 06/15/22 02:29 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I am amazed every time I read about someone simply falling off a boat and drowning. I just can't imagine how that is possible.

[Linked Image]

Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: Texas Dan] #8620892 06/15/22 02:44 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I feel like panicking is what makes most people drown in warm water. They get in a bad situation and that flight or fight response takes over rather than relaxing and just floating while remaining calm.

Cold water is a different animal, but panic still plays a role. I remember as a little kid the absolute first thing I was taught was to relax and float.

Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: Texas Dan] #8620895 06/15/22 02:51 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Fat floats. I'm good.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: Texas Dan] #8620949 06/15/22 04:23 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
When I was in college the starting running back on our football team drowned in the lake close to our school. Fell out of the boat he was in and didn't know how to swim. I can't imagine how that is possible, but I guess it is.

Our kids have been swimmers since age 2.

Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: Texas Dan] #8621032 06/15/22 06:59 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Was it Red Hills Lake ?

Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: DocHorton] #8621033 06/15/22 06:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by DocHorton
When I was in college the starting running back on our football team drowned in the lake close to our school. Fell out of the boat he was in and didn't know how to swim. I can't imagine how that is possible, but I guess it is.

My experience has shown that if you find someone who never learned how to swim, they had a parent who couldn't swim either. Even though our SIL doesn't know how to swim, our daughter, who worked as a lifeguard, now has our five-year-old granddaughter in swimming lessons.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/15/22 07:00 PM.

Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: Texas Dan] #8621058 06/15/22 07:38 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
PANIC You could float on your back if you don’t panic. Even a rat and a pig can swim.

Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: Texas Dan] #8621372 06/16/22 02:09 AM
N
N.La.Beagler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

My experience has shown that if you find someone who never learned how to swim, they had a parent who couldn't swim either. Even though our SIL doesn't know how to swim, our daughter, who worked as a lifeguard, now has our five-year-old granddaughter in swimming lessons.

I bet that RB was a black guy...Sorry, but we don't swim. And you're right about non-swimmers having parents that weren't swimmers as mine weren't. I was 12 the first time I went to a pool. Didn't know which end was deep and hopped in with my buddies and down I went. Dad jumped in and got me out somehow. Now I'm terrified of deep water.

Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: Texas Dan] #8621407 06/16/22 03:04 AM
N
NORML as can be Offline
^^Cut the Cord^^
^^Cut the Cord^^
N

Did you remember your towels?

[Linked Image]

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: N.La.Beagler] #8621530 06/16/22 12:18 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by N.La.Beagler
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

I bet that RB was a black guy...Sorry, but we don't swim. And you're right about non-swimmers having parents that weren't swimmers as mine weren't. I was 12 the first time I went to a pool. Didn't know which end was deep and hopped in with my buddies and down I went. Dad jumped in and got me out somehow. Now I'm terrified of deep water.

Never too late to learn. With over 70% of the Earth being covered with water, it makes good sense to know how.

Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: SherpaPhil] #8621850 06/16/22 06:20 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
I am amazed every time I read about someone simply falling off a boat and drowning. I just can't imagine how that is possible.

One issue is they fall out of the boat, and the do not have the strength to pull themself back into the boat, this is a killer in the winter. Also, if they fall out of the boat, and wind is so strong and blows the boat away.

Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: Texas Dan] #8621865 06/16/22 06:45 PM
I
Indianation65 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
I
I would say the answer to question is "Yes, it's like riding a bike. You don't really 'forget" how to swim, but a person might not be good at it anymore."

If a person has not been swimming in a long time, it only takes a few moments/seconds to remind himself/herself how hard it can be IF the "body and breathing" are OUT of shape.

...------

Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: Guy] #8621902 06/16/22 07:26 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

One issue is they fall out of the boat, and the do not have the strength to pull themself back into the boat, this is a killer in the winter. Also, if they fall out of the boat, and wind is so strong and blows the boat away.

Can't remember the term but the human body has an uncontrollable impulse to inhale when thrown into cold water. It's believed this is what causes some people to never resurface after they accidentally fall into a lake during the winter, the lungs filling with water due to the uncontrollable impulse. In such cases, a life jacket becomes a must. But then, the cases you often read about are those where the victim had no intention of going into the water.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/16/22 07:27 PM.

Re: Swimming is like riding a bike, or is it? [Re: Texas Dan] #8621924 06/16/22 07:51 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I'm pretty bad about not wearing my life jacket during the summer and fishing. But during the winter duck hunting, I'm full on safety, especially heading across the lake dark 30 in the morning. I got my 5mm waders on, great insulation and they also float.. Wader belt on, life jacket. Got my phone accessible to call 911 if needed.

I been wanting to jump in my pool with all my duck hunting gear on during the winter, when it is freezing, to see what that is like.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide