Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,362
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8615725 06/08/22 09:16 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Hud, I knew you would. Been waiting for your remarks. The money I save from wearing old jeans and boots, I put towards binos.
The cookie jar money is enough to buy new binos about every 30 years or so, rather I need them or not.
I may still go the "cheap" route with the GPOs in an attempt to keep your image of me intact.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8615727 06/08/22 09:18 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
FR, better optics will make any eyes better.

Hudbone, i have compared alpha glass in store to beta glass and the difference can be subtle and difficult to determine if not pushed, something impossible to do in store. Most reviews talk of edge to edge clarity being the biggest difference and lack of induced aberration (spherical or chromatic being the two chief ones discussed) and those typically wont come out much until lower light.

Were you saying you find it hard to believe the GPO glass is pretty good or that anyone would compare it To Leica or Swaro? I guess i am trying to say your statement needs a littler clarification please….

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8615732 06/08/22 09:29 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Tex Buck, I will clarify Huds statement. Its a somewhat inside joke that he makes fun of me never buying anything new. Hes part right and part wrong, but its all in fun....
Think twice before ever taking Hud too seriously. banana
TexBuck, thanks for the info on the eyesight. Coming from an eye surgeon, it carries some weight.

Last edited by freerange; 06/08/22 09:33 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8615777 06/08/22 10:30 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
freerange, Meopta has a bino/rf too that doesn't have all the ballistic software, the Optika HD long range or something like that. Just figured I'd convolute the decision making process a little more......

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8615792 06/08/22 10:57 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Yes you did but that’s ok. I know the guy owns STx Tripods and he carries Meopta so I can call him for solid info. 👍
JG, no comment on the GPO? Doug said very comparable to Vortex Fury.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8615836 06/08/22 11:44 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
All I know about GPO is that a guy from Zeiss helped start and runs the company. They're not German, but Asian manufacture, in this case I think they are Chinese made. Quite frankly I would think/hope they are better than the Fury's, as I found them to be very, very average optically. Deans told me one time the glass in his was very good though. Sig's/Fury/ Nikon Laserforce are practically clones of each other in build quality and optics, and like I said they are very average. If the GPO is really in that class, I'd look hard at Meopta personally.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8615843 06/08/22 11:49 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My two cents. For a hardcore trophy whitetail hunter the alpha glass is worth what you pay. Resolution of detail in low light and extended viewing are where the benefits are realized. If you are buying to shoot long range targets get the binoculars with the range finder. If you are buying to trophy hunt and spend a lot of time glassing buy alpha binocs and a quality one handed range finder. You will like the lighter weight and better balance without the range finder for glassing. Extended glassing with heavy binocs get bouncy without a tripod or a rest. Alpha binocs are lifetime warranty on the binocs. Range finder will have a specified time limit they are covered. I find I much prefer a small quality one handed range finder in my pocket and a more ergonomic pair of top of the line binoculars around my neck while hunting. The target guys and hunters that spend all their time in a box blind may disagree.
Best of luck on your choice of binocs to invest in.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8615847 06/08/22 11:51 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Here's a little more info, but a little dated by now.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/top-rangefinding-binoculars-put-to-test/

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8615955 06/09/22 02:20 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I own the Leica Geovid 3200 10x42 and have looked thru the Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42 side by side with a buddy who owns the Swaro's. The Leica's are not nearly as crisp and clear as the Swaro's under the same lighting conditions. The rangefinder on my Leica's will range from about 10-12 yards out to 3300+ yards. I ranged a deer blind on the side of hill from a good rest on a deer blind window ledge this past hunting season here where I live that was over 3300 yards from me. I get no eye fatigue when glassing from daylight till dark with my Leica's and did not with the old Geovid 10x42 I had before. IIRC the Leica's were a little bit heavier than the Swaro's. The Leica's have a lot of other things added to them now the old model did not have. I could do without most of it. The biggest change for me was adjusting the button placement for rangefinding compared to the old model. I hate if for bowhunting since I am righthanded and that button is on the left of the new button. Had I started with the newer model it would not be an issue.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: Jgraider] #8615984 06/09/22 03:20 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by Jgraider
All I know about GPO is that a guy from Zeiss helped start and runs the company. They're not German, but Asian manufacture, in this case I think they are Chinese made. Quite frankly I would think/hope they are better than the Fury's, as I found them to be very, very average optically. Deans told me one time the glass in his was very good though. Sig's/Fury/ Nikon Laserforce are practically clones of each other in build quality and optics, and like I said they are very average. If the GPO is really in that class, I'd look hard at Meopta personally.

I didn’t know the Zeiss connection, that’s cool and good to know.

I know this crap is so subjective and I’ll admit I’ve got good vision but normally don’t see big differences in glass other guys do. I must have one of the superb Sig’s and a buddy has a crappy Zeiss RF binos because I could ID animals sooner thru them faster than I could in his. The location of the range button would keep me from buying them.

My opinion is it’s the Leica, Sig 10x or Swarvo’s in the high price range finders…or you should go down to the cost group JG listed as being the clones.

I didn’t know you bow hunted, sorry freerange…my fault but you’re right, that won’t work with the 33y.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8616028 06/09/22 09:53 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Having utilized Swaros for years now, I have little complaint with them. Wasted too much money on what turned out to be sub-par optics prior. I do not have a built in range finder in mine. Klappenbach made the unfortunate decision to let his wife look through his Leica's one hunt so he now has two pair of their range finding binos. I know he likes them bunches.

Free's looking into something he can only hope is similar to Swaro or Leica so he can save money is pretty much just how I wasted money on prior purchases. The focal clarity difference in quality lenses while being used in broad daylight is not as big as most would think and some think not enough to be worth it, but the ability to heavily utilize without eye fatigue and in low light conditions is, well, pretty darn nice. Ain't no way I could go backwards.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8616041 06/09/22 10:56 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Swarovski with no RF here also. 'Nothing like them.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8616197 06/09/22 02:15 PM
B
Bart H Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
JG, Thank you for tossing the Meopta Optika LR 10x42 HD binorangefinder into the mix. I have been using a pair for over a year now and have zero complaints. For your purposes, I think they would fit your needs just fine, very nice Meopta glass and ranges from 4-2600 yards with incline decline correction.You will definitely appreciate the price as well and hopefully Doug can help you out a too. While I appreciate wanting a binorangefinder, I am not sure that that is going to be what is best for your needs. Perhaps a stand alone 1200 yards range finder and then a top shelf set of binos like the MeoStar B1 Plus will fit your needs better? If youy want to take a look at the Optika LR's, here's a review that has some great info. https://www.americanhunter.org/content/hardware-meopta-optika-lr-10x42-hd/

Longtime hunter/shooter/fisherman who loves being outdoors. I used to hunt/compete with my son, but he's now stationed in Germany. Never enough time.
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8616221 06/09/22 02:44 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Bart, I couldn't find this info aywhere.......warranty on electronics? 2 yr, 5 yr? Thanks.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8616279 06/09/22 03:39 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im back. Bottom line, at this time, im LEANING TOWARDS the Leica 3200. Going to Colo tomorrow and Ill go through DFW on the way and go to Scheels(my first time) to put my hands on them(maybe others.) I wont walk out with them cause Doug at Camera Land has earned by business.
The jury is still out so keep the comments coming. This has been an outstanding thread for me. Its interesting that most everyone that responded has been someone that I respect. There havent been any idiots like you often get commenting on other topics. Not sure why that is, but its been nice. Im disappointed Bobo hasnt commented.
-Meopta and the next step down-Doug didnt have anything negative to say but he didnt brag on them. To a somewhat optic novice like me, it seems Meopta, GPO and the ones JG mentioned are about half the price and maybe 80% as good as the big dogs. Depending on a persons budget and their hunting style/seriousness, the half money is likely a smart way to go. Im in a position to buy once cry once and not complain, and based on a lifetime of throwing good money after bad(as Hud mentioned) Im leaning towards top of the line. Swaro is out cause its doesnt range close for bow hunting.
-Separate bino and range finder--Out of tremendous respect for Smokey and Texbuck, I have to address this. Im hoping the extra weight of the combo unit is not a big deal. Admittedly, Ive gotten away from big country on foot hunting(may go back), so maybe itll be ok. Also, STx, Jgraider and MANY other serious hunters use the combo units so I think that says a lot. IF IF IF I need a separate setup for bowhunting, I will ALWAYS have a separate RF and I always carry a small 8x20 Zeiss on my belt. STx, Jgraider and others feel free to comment on the weight and bulk difference of the combo units. Another plus that I anticipate with a combo bino/rf is that now I rarely use my RF but I glass a lot. With the combo unit I anticipate glassing a lot and just go ahead and check the range while Im at it. Glass and range, glass and range, repeat. That should help me learn ranging and ranges of landmarks. No way thats nearly as convenient(so it wont happen) with separate units.
Keep it coming guys, but now your job is to talk me out of the Leica 3200 10x42. THANKS A LOT, so far.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8616289 06/09/22 03:46 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Also, for what its worth, if I already owned a high end bino like Creek, Hud and others, I doubt I would go to a combo unit. My situation is that I have a very outdated pair of binos and if Im going to upgrade it just seems a no brainer(to me) to go the combo route. Even for someone on a mid to low budget, it just seems logical for most to go the combo bino/RF route.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8616304 06/09/22 03:59 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
There are fantastic stand alone binoculars and there are fantastic stand alone range finders.

Personally, I only wanted to carry one thing.

Most people have tons of experience hunting alone. And anyone that has done it enough on open terrain (no blind) has the stories of glassing, ranging, then putting that, or those tools down and grabbing the rifle scope. At times, the animal has moved or you can't find what you were looking at in your observation optic in your rifle scope. At least not quickly.

But oh man, when you're hunting with someone else, it is a game changer. A good friend and I have got to do it several times. Big country in Terrell County, Brewster County, and Presidio County. One guy on binos or spotter, and the other in his rifle scope. It's nice to be able to call out ranges for the guy on the rifle. He and I have made some one shot clean kills at some fairly serious distances that way.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8616387 06/09/22 06:33 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Freerange, IF you're committed to the alpha makers, I applaud the 3200.com decision:
1. Leica's new 10 yr no fault warranty includes electronics. No other alpha can touch it
2. Glass isn't Swaro EL quality, but not far off, and is excellent no matter how you slice it
3. Slow focus-Leica has it, and it's easy, easy easy to get a super sharp image the first time
4. The new Leica hunter's app is supposed to be excellent
5. Bigger size-- I use a bino harness, and it's no more of a hassle than regular binos IMO
6. They feel great in your hands, very comfy. You can glass all day with these things.
7. Enjoy, and have some fun with it.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8616420 06/09/22 07:20 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I will second JGRAIDER’s endorsement of the Leica 3200. 4 of the men I hunt with have them. They all rave about them. I have used them and they are high quality. I own the Zeiss victory SF and a quality pocket range finder I wear on a lanyard. I sold my Zeiss Victory RF to go that route. If I was going back to binoculars with a rangefinder I would prefer the Zeiss. It weighs less than the Leica and will range at 10 feet. I prefer the truer color rendition of the Zeiss over the greenish high contrast image of Leica. The alpha binoculars all add an extra coating to the lenses to facilitate the laser. The alpha range finding binoculars are fantastic but are not quite as bright in low light due to the added coating for the laser. Having the most Low light capability I can get is my priority in a pair of alpha binoculars for what I get out of them.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8616486 06/09/22 09:11 PM
B
BarneyWho Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Several years ago the only game in the range finding binocular was Leica. I bought the 10X42s. I loved them, but they were bulky and cumbersome. Since then several more manufactures entered the game and Leica updated their design with a much better ergonomic design. I update to the HD-Bs. I can say even with the old version it's the single handed best piece of hunting equipment I own. I've never regretted the purchase. I use mine all the time from bow hunting, at the range, turkey hunting, etc. You won't regret any of the higher end binos with a range finder built in.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8616618 06/09/22 11:56 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Jgraider, thanks for spelling all that out. By "slow focus" do you mean it just has real small increments to keep you from blowing by the ideal focus one way then the other???
Smokey had to throw Zeiss out there. Ive always thought they were right there as the big 3 but havent had anyone mention them. May be too late across the stream to change horses. Also, never heard about a green tint. Anyone comment on that?
Barney-thats a good basic real world endorsement. Since Im leaning real heavy to the Leica then any positive feedback sounds good.
Everything like this is so subjective but I feel like Ive considered everything as it pertains to me and Im feeling pretty good. Ill be at Scheels in the morning to put my hands on them.
Thanks to everyone.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8616628 06/10/22 12:11 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Right on freerange.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8617073 06/10/22 05:19 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Just left Scheels and put my hands on the Leica. Dang, they seemed bigger and bulkier than I thought. Then got to truck and my old pair was right at same length. Gotta think on it more. I’m so far in that direction I’m not sure I’ll turn/stop.
That ranger is so fast and easy, I don’t know that I can do without that upgrade. That’s really a game changer.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8617086 06/10/22 05:32 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Whatever you purchase, take better care of them than Bobo would.

Re: Swaro EL Range Bino 10x42...Advise [Re: freerange] #8617087 06/10/22 05:33 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
How rude.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide