Print Thread
Trophy Black Bear Hunts Arizona Boone & Crockett #8604670 05/25/22 09:59 AM
T
TakeMeLord Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Just returned from an outstanding black bear hunt in Arizona. 13 hour drive from DFW.

This is my second hunt with this guide.
This guide controls hundreds of thousands of acres that no one else is allowed to hunt on.

Ready? This year he has taken 16 hunters, and out of those 16, his hunters have taken 5 Boone and Crockett bears.

He told me he has that success rate due to two reasons:

Location. He operates in the county that has truly record bears. The Boone and Crockett book shows that his county, Gila County Arizona, has been the home of more B&C bears than any other county in the USA. (actually, more than any other in the world)

Secondly, his method. He has baits out. Baits on hundreds of thousands of acres. Each bait site has a game trail camera. Each morning the baits are refreshed and the trail cameras are reviewed. When a hunter arrives, the guide knows where the biggest bears are (on hundreds of thousands of acres in the world's best B&C County) and the guide has can pattern the bears. When the hunter arrives, the guide knows where a big bear has been coming to a bait, then a pack of hounds are brought in. This is truly a phenomenal way of hunting monster bears.

I have hunted behind hounds before. In other places, you drive around in a pickup truck, sometimes for days, and search for a fresh track.

At this place, the guide already knows where fresh tracks are. Hr knows when the tracks were made.

The hunt is not for everyone. It is expensive compared to average bear hunts. But it is cheap if you want a shot at a record book bear. A Boone and Crockett bear.

The cost is $5,500 and that covers (for one bear) the guide fees, the bear license and skinning the bear.

It does NOT include evening meals, lodging (lots of VRBO's nearby) or taxidermy (other than field skinning).

Two bears are allowed. This guide does not allow a second bear if the first bear is a Boone and Crockett bear. Second bear is $3,000 additional.

The best news is that the licenses are available. No "trying to get drawn." Licenses always available.

I recommend this man. He is already booking for next year. Season dates are April 1 to Aug 30 and then reopens in October (after their September elk season) until Nov 15. Bears in the area do not really hibernate.

You can fly into Show Low Arizona (near Phoenix) and if you fly, the guide has a rifle in camp that you can use. No need to fly with a firearm unless you choose to do so. And you can also make this a family event, as the camp is only about three hours from the Grand Canyon.

He has given me permission to post this review, let me know if you would like his contact info.

He hunts the 1.6 million acre White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation.

God Bless,

Dale

Re: Trophy Black Bear Hunts Arizona Boone & Crockett [Re: TakeMeLord] #8605584 05/26/22 03:33 PM
H
Hatton Ranch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
It sounds like a fun hunt.
I thought Arizona outlawed the use of trail cameras for hunting.

Rich Clonts
rich@hattonranch.com
(214) 802-5952

www.hattonranch.com
Re: Trophy Black Bear Hunts Arizona Boone & Crockett [Re: TakeMeLord] #8605653 05/26/22 04:54 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
From 2022 Arizona Hunting Regulations. ?

"Use of Trail Cameras While Hunting Starting Jan 1, 2022, pursuant to Commission Rule R12-4-303.A.5, a person shall not use any trail camera for the purpose of taking or locating wildlife, or aiding in the take of wildlife. The new prohibition on trail cameras does not apply to other uses of a trail camera such as research, general photography and security."

Re: Trophy Black Bear Hunts Arizona Boone & Crockett [Re: Hatton Ranch] #8605654 05/26/22 04:58 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by Hatton Ranch
It sounds like a fun hunt.
I thought Arizona outlawed the use of trail cameras for hunting.

He said this a White Mountain Apache Reservation hunt, so they have their own game laws and regulations. I've fished the Black River on the reservations border a number of times. Beautiful country and covered up with bears. Biggest black bear I've ever seen was on my last trip there, so I believe Dale when he say's you'll be on B&C class bruins.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Trophy Black Bear Hunts Arizona Boone & Crockett [Re: TakeMeLord] #8605974 05/26/22 11:29 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Nice write up, thanks for sharing

Re: Trophy Black Bear Hunts Arizona Boone & Crockett [Re: TakeMeLord] #8609346 05/31/22 07:40 PM
T
TakeMeLord Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
God Bless. Dale

Re: Trophy Black Bear Hunts Arizona Boone & Crockett [Re: TakeMeLord] #8609363 05/31/22 07:59 PM
T
Trophy Snipe Hunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Dale- How many days is the hunt? Sounds fun.

“It is not that we have a short time to live, but that we waste a lot of it.” - Seneca
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide