Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: txtrophy85] #857879 08/21/09 08:30 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Was eight.. just west of weatherford tx... setting on top of my uncles house with a bolt action 30-30. Wacked a big doe

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: bigmike_ml21] #858375 08/22/09 12:22 AM
H
hunt-n-agg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Got into hunting a little late, but shot my first doe when I was 21. I didnt have a gun so I borrowed my uncle marlin 30-30. I just wish that they would have told me not to take a shot over 100 so yards with it. I shot at about 200 yards. She went right down and then her head came back up. Got out of the stand and walked closer and shot her in the neck to finish her off. The first shot went through her two back legs and she couldnt run. I felt bad but it keeps me going back, and I still get to hear about it every year.

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: bigmike_ml21] #858517 08/22/09 02:04 AM
H
hawk Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
I was 17 at the time. My best friend and I went hunting with my cousin on his place. We were walking and came up on a group of about 7 or 8 does. We all took aim and shot at the count of 3. ONE deer dropped....when got up to it, it had three holes in it! It got better the next day as I got a doe by myself. That was about 33 years ago!

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: hawk] #858575 08/22/09 02:38 AM
D
deewayne2003 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Southern Oklahoma in November I was 20yo and Had hunted my grand fathers 160ac farm for 5 days straight with out any luck.

I didnt hunt in the morning instead I went to the hospital to see my newborn Nephew then drove across red river to my grand dads farm, It was 1 o'clock and I was walking to a tree I was going to sit under when a doe hopped the fence.

I raised my .270 Ruger and then a BIG buck hopped the fence to, I leveled the cross hairs of the leupold and BANG.... put another shell in and didnt see either deer. I walked up and in all its glory laid a 155" 12point.

I shot that deer with a reloaded bullet and after loseing count at 55 deer killed(I have friends with ranch managment tags) I still havent killed a deer with a factory loaded bullet lol.

I can remember how proud my grand father was and he actually refused to be in the picture with it because he said it was my accomplishment....???? I know I didnt under stand it either sad to say that would have been the last and best picture of my and my grand father.

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: txtrophy85] #858600 08/22/09 02:48 AM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I was 7 yrs old and my Dad and I were hunting a field of Indian corn when I shot my 1st doe....Evidently she hung around so long because she liked the corn

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: deewayne2003] #858627 08/22/09 03:07 AM
T
tx hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I was eleven or twelve when i shot my first deer(button buck). My dad and i were hunting on our family ranch(around Coryell county),and i remember it like it was yesterday. I was using his old remington 788 chambered in 22-250 rem. shooting 55gr. soft points (I know this, because i still keep the casing from that first hunt). Anyways the deer stepped out of the cedar trees, and walked right up under the feeder and began to mill around. Meanwhile, my dad was whispering "Once he turns broadside i'll flip the safety, and you get ready to fire." So, as the deer turned broadside, "click" goes the safety, and my dad whispers "it's all you." I line up the crosshairs as best i could, squeeeeeeezed the trigger, and rifle BOOOOOM!!! is all i remember. Afterwards we walk up to the feeder, and (im tellin the truth here) there is a chunk of what looks like hamburger meat the size of my thumb wrapped around the feeder leg! Needless to say, he did't run 15yds.

I'll remember that hunt forever.

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: tx hunter] #858656 08/22/09 03:15 AM
Mr. 2 Million Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I was 20 hunting with my Gradfather . shot a doe in Erath county near Dublin

David

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: Mr. 2 Million] #858817 08/22/09 05:10 AM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Been a bird hunter since childhood, but was late to the deer hunting game.

I was about 28 in southern Hamilton County just north of Evant near the Coryell, Lampasas and Mills County lines. It was our first year of a great lease that we were taking over and starting a management plan and were under a lot of pressure to take does. It was a chilly, dark, overcast Sunday afternoon and I saw a group of does coming down a hillside to the right of my box stand. When they got in range, I dropped one in her tracks. After lowering my rifle, I noticed that another larger doe had stopped on the same hillside and was looking back while the rest were making their escape. I threw down and dropped her and she rolled halfway down the hill before coming to a stop.

I had them both field dressed and loaded in the truck when I picked up my best friend and his then 4 or 5 year old son from their hunting spot near dark. I still remember showing the kiddo the deer in the bed of the truck.

Date was 12-15-96....killed a lot of deer on that place and had a lot of great times over the ensuing seven years. Man, I miss that lease.....

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #858887 08/22/09 10:51 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I still remember my first. It was a button buck and it was about 30 yards away. I was 24 or 25 and it was the second year I had deer hunted. My father in law got me into it and showed me where to hunt. I found a tree with three large branches on it that set up perfectly for me to sit on one, lean back on another and put my feet on the bottom one. I got up in the stand just as it was getting light and the next thing I know I wake up and there right below me was a doe...or so I thought. I shot it with the 30-30 my father in law had given me for my birthday that year so I would have something to hunt with. When I got down out of the tree and went to it I realized it was a nubbin buck. I will always remember it but it is really not the most memorable one I have ever taken...but it did keep me comin back.

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: Deerhunter61] #858932 08/22/09 12:22 PM
T
twice70 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I can't remember for sure how old I was, I guess 10 or 11. I was hunting on a lease in Angelina county with my Dad, shot a 4 point w/a 243 from about 15 yards. I though i missed because he ran at the shot, about 3 seconds later he ran right back out to where he was standing when I shot him and crashed, I've been hooked ever since...I sill have those horns hanging on my wall!!

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: twice70] #858960 08/22/09 12:59 PM
A
age n score Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
It was 1965 in Menard Texas. My dad had me in the blind with him after putting corn out on the ground. We had only been sitting in the blind for a short while, when here the came about 25 does, and 5 bucks. My dad had me shoot my doe in the face at 50 yards. I was so excited, but he had us stay in the blind until the turkeys came in. I got a big old gobbler and a doe. I will keep hunting in the wilderness until that feeling leaves me. Every year in south Tx I remember that day while hunting. Now I feed Indian corn because the deer really seem to like it and stay at the feeder longer. And the longer they stay, the easier it is for me to remember that day.

I feed Indian Corn, the deer really seem to like it and stay at the feeder longer......and longer....!
Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: age n score] #858970 08/22/09 01:20 PM
C
CTK3 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Spike buck with my grandpa's (now mine) Remington 1903 30-06.

Wanted to save the horns as a reminder, but my damn dog drug them off somewhere.

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: twice70] #859041 08/22/09 02:31 PM
C
caddokiller Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
It was a doe on november 2nd 1985. My father put me in a deer stand that had a huckelberry bush growing thru the bottom leg section of the deer stand and if you moved at all it made a horrible racket. He had been seeing a herd of deer come thru there every evening about 5 o'clock so I got in the stand at 3 and sat patiently. 5o'clock rolls around and no deer. All these horrible thoughts were racing thru my mind. Did I make too much noise? Did they see me? Was I to loud? About the time I was about to give up I looked up and here they come. A group of about 15-20 deer with a BIG buck leading the way. I got my rifle up and was shaking so bad I couldnt even come close to getting a shot at him. Or the next deer. Or the next. Or the next. Finally I steadied down enough to align the crosshairs on a huge doe. Bam. And off she ran!! Now the horrible thought really came racing into my mind. Did i miss? Where did i hit her? Why didnt she fall. My father had instructed me to stay in the stand until he got there. Which took about 2 minutes before I saw him basically running thru the woods to get there. We found the deer about 30 yds from where I shot her with a perfect shot thru her heart.

Other than the day I found God, the birth of my son and the day I met my wife that is the best day of my life!!!!

Last edited by caddokiller; 08/22/09 02:34 PM.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.- Thomas jefferson
Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: caddokiller] #859185 08/22/09 04:15 PM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Mine was an absolutely terrible experience and one that easily could have ended my desire for hunting forever if it wasn't for my Dad. God I love my Dad, I only wish he still hunted so we could share more (GOOD) experiences.

I wasn't a kid anymore. I was in my early 20s. I had been hunting for 4 or 5 years and had not taken a deer so to say I was sick with buck fever was an understatement. We were hunting on a day lease outside of Victoria, my dad and I with 2 of the sons of the day lease owner on a special section of land that wasn't part of the day lease. As I said, I was antzy. A doe and a young button buck came out. I shot the young buck. The two brothers were hunting in a blind not far from me and one came over. He was very critical of me shooting the young deer and really laid into me about how upset and dissapointed in me my father was going to be. I literally sat there for the remaining hour or two of the hunt upset with myself and contemplating the dissapointment of my father towards me. The last thing I ever wanted to do was to be a dissapointment to or let down my father. The thought that I might have done that tortured me for those 2 hours.

When my father came over after his hunt was done, thankfully he did not react as that man had said. Dad was wiser than that other man. He knew that if he had been so critical it probably would of ended my hunting career right then and there. As it was we continued to hunt together for 15 years until Parkinsons made it too difficult for him.

I never again shot such a young deer, nor will I but the "first one" should be special and for me it was ruined. The next year I shot a 9 pointer at the same day lease so life went on, but for the kindness and understanding of My Dad the hunting portion of it which I now enjoy with my sons would not have.

I made up for that experience with the "first time" for my oldest son two years ago when he took his first buck, a forkhorn and then last year an 8 pointer. Now I'm looking forward to the "first time" for my youngest son.

There are 4 things in life that mean everything to me - God, family, hunting, and fishing and I owe my love of each to my Dad.

Earl

Last edited by Earl; 08/22/09 04:35 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: Earl] #859478 08/22/09 06:54 PM
B
bad_medic Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I was 28 (am 33 now), on our lease in Eastland Co. Opening w/e, and me being rather low on money, I didn't have a feeder, was using my dads old 30/30 with a k-mart scope, sitting in a salvaged 12 ft. tripod glassing a 12 acre field.

about an hour till sundown, I nooticed movement in the treeline across the field, about 110 yards off. A nice little doe walked out, and me being the noble guy I am, I had no intention of shooting a lady, lol.

after watching for a while I saw a grey/brown streak out of the corner of my eye. Suddenly here's this little 6 pointer trying to get with the doe. They both walk back into the treeline, so I blow on my borrowed grunt call, and I see the buck peek out of the trees. I do this a few more times, until he finally shows enough shoulder to try a shot.

With my pulse racing, I could barely keep the crosshairs on the buck. When I fired my eyes must have closed, because the buck simply vanished.

After waiting the prescribed 30 min. (more like 10-15), I walked over to see if I could find some blood, and there he was lying right where I shot him. Evidently, I twitched when I pulled the trigger, causing my aim to travel from a lung/heart shot, into a perfect neck shot. Beginners luck I guess.

Oh, the Jack Daniels flowed that night....................

Last edited by bad_medic; 08/22/09 06:55 PM.

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: bad_medic] #859538 08/22/09 07:28 PM
E
ETXbuckman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
I was 8. My dad had to help me hold the butt of his .270 level so I could take aim. Dropped her in her tracks. When we got up to her she raised her head and starting "bah-ing". It was pretty hard for me to stomach at the time but dad finished her off with a shot to the neck. 30+ deer and 22 years later I still remember it like it was yesterday but, as bad as it upset me at the time I don't worry about it anymore; just take care to make better shots.

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: Cody Malone] #859599 08/22/09 08:08 PM
D
deerslayer64d Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
like it was yesterday!! 40 yrs ago in harper TX 34 acre hilltop dec 22 1968, spike buck . sitten on dads lap so I could see out the blind . jefferson 22mag ( still have this gun ) havent missed a season sence !!!

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: Skybuster05] #859998 08/23/09 12:31 AM
H
Hunts_With_Stick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Skybuster05
9 years old. Sat in the blind all day when pops decided to he back to camp. I walked back with my 243. Half way to camp walked up on a Doe. Dropped her, leaned my gun against a tree and hauled the deer back.

When I got back to camp my dad went out and took the gun away from me.

I wonder if he still has it frown

Why did he take the gun away from you? Was he mad?

My first deer was a doe when I was 9 from a box blind in Meridian with a 30-30 open sites. The guy who was with me was about 6 years older than me, he was a family friend. Me and that guy are on a lease together today and still hunt pretty regularly together.

Before you book travel go here>>>> www.sdc1.rovia.com <<<<
Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: Hunts_With_Stick] #860147 08/23/09 02:05 AM
T
TxFisher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I was 12 years old and we were hunting on a lease near Comfort. I had shot at a doe the day before and missed. That next afternoon we were driving to the stand and a 8 point and a doe ran out in front of us, my dad stuck the gun out the window and he told me to shoot the buck, so I aimed at the shoulder and hit him in the eyeball. The buck dropped like a rock, and he only score maybe 90", but he was the biggest buck in the world to me.

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: TxFisher] #860231 08/23/09 02:55 AM
F
FinFowlAndWhitetail Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
kerrville on my great grandpas ranch i was 7 hunting with a great uncle i remember this like it happened today he had been watching a 6 point and wanted me to shoot it but my dad wanted to be with me for my first so me and dad get into our blind and a few does come to the feeder i was sitting in my dads lap and we both had the "buck fever" so bad i remember telling him if you dont be still i will never be able to hit her i was right between my shakes and his seizure like jolts the bullet probably wasnt even in her general area so my great uncle finally talked my dad into letting me go with him to shoot the six point this deer came out it seemed like a 1000 yards away it was only about 160 but he kept telling me to shoot because he isnt gonna stay out long and i kept tellin him i need him to get closer he isnt big enough in the scope (just an old 4 power) finally he said he aint coming closer you better take him we looked for blood for hours and never found anything went back to camp sat there for a while i was some kind of upset 2 misses in 2 days and uncle jerry said i am positive you hit that deer lets go look one more time so me him and my dad went again still no blood then dad starts whoopin and hollerin he found my buck under a cedar tree still no blood it was wierd but dad still got to enjoy the excitement with me even though he wasnt there for the shot something i will remember the rest of my life

Everyone should have something to believe in, I believe I will go hunting
Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: FinFowlAndWhitetail] #860327 08/23/09 03:40 AM
P
Parks Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Dude, mix in a comma....

I was 20 when i got started. Took a good sized doe in Big Lake. I borrowed a 25-06...should have shot it a couple of times. When I shot her, she fell like a ton of bricks. I waited and waited and waited but she wouldn't die. Walked down there and saw that i cracked her spine. By that time my ride showed up while i was sawing in her throat. He asked if i was out of bullets. Two lessons learned that day: shoot your rifle before hunting season and carry a sharp knife.

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: txtrophy85] #860783 08/23/09 02:30 PM
H
Hogstalker Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Worst morning of my life. It was 80 degrees when we wnet to bed then a cold front came through and by morning it was only 20 with a 30 mile an hr wind with it. It was my first ever hunt so nothing was gonna stop me but everyone else slept in. I walked to the river to take the boat across but the wind had blown it away so I had to walk the mile and a half around. I finally got to my stand which was a 15 foot tower that was laying on the ground sat all my stuff down and bgan lifting it back up which wasn't easy cuz the wind was still blowing and the s.o.b. was heavy.
I finally got the stand up the wood floor back in it and all my gear and i'm completely exhausted and p*ss#d figuring Ive run everything within 5 miles of me away. I close my eyes and lay back for a few minutes and something tells me to look. I open my eyes and there are 2 does comming out about 100 yards down the lane. 2 more stepped out a few minutes later i shot 2 of them. Shoulda waited for a buck but oh well. Texarkana ARk side10 years ago. I won't bore you guys with the shot I made

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: Hogstalker] #860996 08/23/09 05:08 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
East of Jacksboro in 1981 and I was 8. My grandad backed the 1977 F-350 into some trees and we waited for the deer to come by. No feeders were allowed on that land. After an hour and a half, I shot a 7 point with the Winchester model 43 218 Bee with a Weaver K-6 scope. I had a a 40 yard shot with the deer facing me, and he fell in his tracks. That was the last deer I had cleaned for me.

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: LonestarCobra] #861065 08/23/09 05:51 PM
T
Txhunter83 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
i was 7 hunting with my uncle & cousin on ranch in oklahoma. shot a doe that evening and thought it was best thing ever. we went out the next morning after brutal northern blew in over night and froze. after about an hour and a half a big 10 came out and i shot him at 60 yds. and he ran towards us and fell about 15 yds. in front of me. ended up scoring 152 b&c. i've been hooked every since.

Re: The first time you shot a deer. [Re: txtrophy85] #861580 08/23/09 09:59 PM
B
BOWTECHHUNTER Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I WAS 14 ALSO IN CASS COUNTY SHOT A DOE WITH MY DADS 270. THE BUCK RUN BY AND I COULD ONLY GET THE DOE TO STOP BEHIND THE BRUSH SO I SHOT HER IN THE REAR END, NOT THE TEXAS HEART SHOT BUT CLOSE.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide