Print Thread
Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management #8606583 05/27/22 08:01 PM
L
Lawson Shooting Range Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
For all those that have said never again!!!
Just wanted to invite you back out to Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range
The range is under new management, still an older outdoor range but we are trying to make improvements as quick as possible.
$7.00 per person for Range/Membership Card good for one year. $20.00 per person for Range Fee which includes 10 Yard & 25 Yard Pistol, 50 Yard and 100 Yard Rifle. $10.00 per person extra to shoot at 200 Yards.

Re: Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management [Re: Lawson Shooting Range] #8606607 05/27/22 08:42 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
welcome

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management [Re: Lawson Shooting Range] #8606613 05/27/22 08:53 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
What's the policy on shooting muzzleloaders?

The founder of the place, Frank, used to have a
gun store near here before he opened that range,
and sold me my first factory muzzleloader.
He shot them himself, and encouraged and mentored
quite a few BP shooters and handgun hunters.

He always had a policy of " if you have a ball down,
take your time and shoot it " when calling a cease fire.
After he passed, some in charge would berate
shooters, especially BP shooters during a cease fire.
Last time I was there years ago, he was screaming
at me with that megaphone " HEY !!! DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME
CALL CEASE FIRE!?!?!?! CAN'T YOU HEAR?!?!?! "
And grabbed my muzzleloader and jammed it against
the back fence. And hollered " NOW GET BACK
BEHIND THE LINE! ! ! "

If any of that goes on, I don't want any part of it.
Don't want to shoot around any gangbangers either

Re: Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management [Re: Lawson Shooting Range] #8606648 05/27/22 09:32 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have witnessed a few wannabe drill sergeants also. 'Haven't been to a range in years. I shoot at my own place. Not everyone has that option. I hope the new management "gets it". up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management [Re: Lawson Shooting Range] #8606718 05/27/22 11:07 PM
Tbar Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Make America Great Again

Re: Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management [Re: maximum] #8607206 05/28/22 09:13 PM
L
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Maximum Thanks for your comments
I've had a range card since the first year Frank opened the range. Will be running the range as close to what Frank did as possible.
You are welcome to bring your muzzle-loader, will wait until after you fire to call a cease fire.

Re: Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management [Re: Creekrunner] #8607211 05/28/22 09:31 PM
L
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Creekrunner thanks for the welcome.

Absolutely not a wannabe anything, just an old semi-retired phart that has the opportunity to manage the shooting range I've been shooting at for years.
Liked the way Frank ran the place and going to try and do the same.

Forgot to mention in original post,
We are open 10:00 am to 5:00 pm Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Closed Monday thru Wednesday.

There is a lot of information on the internet that still states we are closed Mondays and Fridays which is wrong.
Having a lot of problems trying to get corrected.

Re: Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management [Re: Lawson Shooting Range] #8608251 05/30/22 08:30 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I'll likely be there eventually
I don't think I have a card anymore
I probably most likely left it with the loud guy with instructions
for disposal as my bridge was burning

What's SOP for targets? Tape, tacks, staples?
Used to have a fiberboard backer
Any sandbags or bring what you want to use?

Re: Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management [Re: Lawson Shooting Range] #8608926 05/31/22 03:39 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Does Franks’s son still work there? If so, I’ll never be back.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management [Re: maximum] #8610999 06/02/22 07:29 PM
L
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Maxium

Have the black backer boards, try to keep plenty of push pins on boards for Targets or you can use staples if you prefer.

we have sand bags in office just ask for them at check-in, or you can use a lead sled or whatever you have.

BigPig

None of the Gibson family have any ownership or work for the range since the end of March 2022

Re: Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management [Re: Lawson Shooting Range] #8612167 06/04/22 03:38 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Lawson Shooting Range
Maxium

Have the black backer boards, try to keep plenty of push pins on boards for Targets or you can use staples if you prefer.

we have sand bags in office just ask for them at check-in, or you can use a lead sled or whatever you have.

BigPig

None of the Gibson family have any ownership or work for the range since the end of March 2022

That’s good news. I almost shot that piece of [censored] in the face when he grabbed my rifle off the table during a cease fire with people down range.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management [Re: Lawson Shooting Range] #8612688 06/04/22 10:48 PM
P
psycho0819 Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I made a trip out there today not knowing it had sold, was a bit surprised when I walked in and didn't see Chuck or Vicky there. I knew the place has been for sale for years now, even considered trying to buy it myself at one point. Glad to see that a deal was reached and it continues to operate. Nothing notable to really comment on, proper safety was in place, shooters adhering to the rules, friendly staff running everything, I had a good time.

Honestly, I never had a run in with Chuck myself. I have witnessed many instances over the 30+ yrs I've shot out there though, some warranted, many were not. He could be pretty hard to get along with for sure. I just don't see stuff like that happening anymore after my trip today. Sure, idiots are going to be anywhere, and no doubt there will be moments. But I didn't feel any of the toxicity there today that I have in the past.

When I got home and informed my daughter that the place had sold, she was disappointed because she likes Vicky. Things change though, and she understands that.

I'm just glad to see it in hands that recognize the place's potential, and look forward to seeing how that progresses. It's obvious they are addressing what needs immediate attention first. I can see some bench repairs on the handgun range underway, many new target boards in place, and one of the deathtrap buildings has already been removed.

Not to put pressure on the new management, I know y'all have your hands full. But I'd look forward to the day that we might get some fun matches put together out there, like an annual egg shoot or something similar.

My advice to shooters local to the area...Get out there and support the efforts being made by new management. Without targets hanging on boards and rounds being sent downrange, we could lose the place. Let's give the new owner good reason to be enthusiastic.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management [Re: Lawson Shooting Range] #8614604 06/07/22 05:13 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Under new management, but new employees? Specifically the range officers? I went to the Gibson range multiple times. I had so many, not just bad, but horrible experiences there. I shoot 100% with a chronograph, mainly for testing customer rifles. They would not allow me to set up a chronograph during a cease fire. It wasn't just that he wouldn't allow it, but he was a total [censored] in the process. The range itself was great. But the people that ran it and worked there ruined it. I hope it turns around and becomes a great place to shoot.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Gibson's Outpost & Shooting Range - New Management [Re: ChadTRG42] #8615473 06/08/22 03:41 PM
L
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Chad

The ones that have been out with chronographs so far have either had the Magneto Speed type or the Doppler Radar type which they can setup at the bench but if anyone has the tripod type and wants to come shoot we will let them set it up during cease fire ( may even help if able ). It would be better to do it on a Thursday or Friday when the range is not as busy but if you can only make it on weekends we will do our best to accommodate.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide