Forums46
Topics538,364
Posts9,736,348
Members87,083
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: pdr55] #8576011 04/11/22 01:22 PM
B
BillS2008 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
B
There is a huge catalytic converter recycling plant in San Marcos.

https://pgmoftexas.com/

Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: pdr55] #8576013 04/11/22 01:22 PM
D
DukeCigars Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
When I ran parts stores 15-20 years ago we had a wave of these things being stolen. Went out to jump in one of my delivery trucks and they had nabbed them off all my S10's and Rangers...and that's back when they just had 1 cat and were probably getting $50 for them, if that

Car guy. Serial entrepreneur. Terrible golfer.
Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8576016 04/11/22 01:23 PM
D
DukeCigars Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Originally Posted by Chopped54
They sell the cats whole. My buddy owns a auto parts/ recycling yard and just spent a quarter million on equipment to extract the material from the cats.

So your buddy is buying stolen cats?

Lots of junkyards cut the cats off inbound cars and take them to be recycled by the truckload

Car guy. Serial entrepreneur. Terrible golfer.
Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: DukeCigars] #8576047 04/11/22 01:49 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted by DukeCigars
They sell the cats whole. My buddy owns a auto parts/ recycling yard and just spent a quarter million on equipment to extract the material from the cats.

Lots of junkyards cut the cats off inbound cars and take them to be recycled by the truckload

When you have teenage kids selling cats the buyers know they are stolen.

Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: DukeCigars] #8576067 04/11/22 02:05 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Which sure makes it easy to launder the ones they purchase over the counter.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: DukeCigars] #8576083 04/11/22 02:18 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Nothing wrong with that.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: Espy] #8576086 04/11/22 02:18 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Espy

When you have teenage kids selling cats the buyers know they are stolen.

...and the buyer should know better then. They are only contributing to the problem.

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: pdr55] #8576097 04/11/22 02:30 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Came in on a Monday and found out that 12 of our new Tundra's had been hit. Everything from the manifold to the tail pipe had to be replaced to fit factory spec's so we could sell them as a new vehicle. So we had Tundra's that sat on the lot for quite a while that could not be sold. I have to admit they did sound good without the missing cats.

Wasn't too long after that that we came in to find multiple vehicles sitting on wooden blocks as they had stolen all the tires and rims off the trucks, cars, and suv's. Cost a lot to replace them also. Thankfully insurance paid for the losses but did not pay for the security and camera's we had incorporate into the business.

Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: pdr55] #8576111 04/11/22 02:55 PM
glens Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Friend of mine went to jump in His new Gasser Motorhome last week from RV storage yard and yeah,,, . they cut converter off.

Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: pdr55] #8576149 04/11/22 03:49 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
2-10. Third degree felony.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: Paluxy] #8576163 04/11/22 04:14 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted by Paluxy
Had a friend's daughter that had a flat on Friday and left the car on the side of the highway for an hour, came back with someone to change the flat and someone had attempted to cut out the catalytic converter. They cut out the wrong thing and removed the resonator instead. It's still going to cost a couple of grand to get that fixed according to the dealer.

Go to a muffler shop. In general dealers replace everything a muffler shop just whats necessary. I was quoted $1600 ,when I had a bad section of exhaust pipe by the dealer, $298 to cut out the bad section and weld a new piece of pipe by the muffler shop.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: pdr55] #8576210 04/11/22 05:19 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I would love nothing more than to catch a mf'r stealing from me. They would be ... within an inch of their .... and I would not feel the slightest bit sorry. I guarantee they would make better choices in life moving forward.

Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8576253 04/11/22 06:01 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
2-10. Third degree felony.

Do you think the thieves care?

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8576351 04/11/22 09:37 PM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by BigPig

Does the EPA allow it now here in the states? It’s been banned for a while due to the chemicals released

Don't think it is banned, he has been doing it for a couple years now. Was selling his cats to a guy till that guy pissed him off and he bought the equipment to do it himself. EPA and Dallas County is constantly at his yard doing inspections, if it was banned I doubt he would get away with it.

He buys the entire car and has to have a title to it so I doubt they are stolen. I do know that I have sold him some cats from junk cars we had at the lot and he even made me fill some form out and give my thumb print and I have known the dude for 35 years.

Wealth is of the heart and mind and not of the pocket
Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: pdr55] #8576404 04/11/22 10:48 PM
R
Rglover Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Look up catalytic converter scrap on eBay. That's where a lot of them are being sold.

Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: pdr55] #8576657 04/12/22 12:54 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Ghost cats. We need more laws to combat cat violence.

Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: pdr55] #8576980 04/12/22 07:35 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
This guy is "winning"...LMFAO!

CA Man Dies...so sad!

Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: Texas Dan] #8576985 04/12/22 07:47 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by procraft05
And if you catch one of the little bastages stealing one off your truck and center punch him a few times your now the bad guy

Jacked up world

In Texas, the use of deadly force is not controlled solely by the rising and setting of the sun. You can use deadly force in one of those locations subject to the Castle Doctrine, such as an occupied home, occupied vehicle or place of work, or in response to a serious criminal act (such as murder, aggravated robbery, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, aggravated kidnapping, burglary, and arson).

However, Texas law also allows you to use deadly force in response to theft and criminal mischief, but only in the nighttime and provided you meet the other requirements to protect your property. So, what is the nighttime? Nighttime is defined as 30 minutes after sunset up through 30 minutes before sunrise. What’s criminal mischief? Criminal mischief is when someone intentionally or knowingly damages, destroys, marks, or tampers with your tangible property or deprives you of its value. What’s theft? A person commits theft when they unlawfully appropriate your property, with the intent to deprive you of your property. Remember: if you encounter criminal mischief or theft during the daytime, you may only respond with force, not deadly force.

Link

Glad we have a criminal lawyer on here giving legal advice. I am not and never pretended to be a criminal lawyer, but I never understood it that way from a reading of the penal code, portions of which I have copied below:

Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or

(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Sec. 9.43. PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if, under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force or deadly force to protect his own land or property and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the unlawful interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property; or

(2) the actor reasonably believes that:

(A) the third person has requested his protection of the land or property;

(B) he has a legal duty to protect the third person's land or property; or

(C) the third person whose land or property he uses force or deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent, or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.

Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: pdr55] #8577007 04/12/22 08:14 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
As you're being handcuffed and taken to jail...."but detective I read about it on the THF".

To be determined
Re: How much can they get for catalytic converters? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8577009 04/12/22 08:17 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
As you're being handcuffed and taken to jail...."but detective I read about it on the THF".

roflmao

LETS GO BRANDON
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide